• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everyone who pledged for a Rift DK is getting a free Kickstarter Edition Oculus Rift

RealMeat

Banned
Wow, that's really generous of them. Glad I backed this. Great way to keep good will with their early supporters.

Atrophis

Very nice way to keep your earliest supporters on board.

I didn't jump in until DK2 but I'm not too fussed. They still sell on ebay for the same price I bought it.

takoyaki

Just filled out the form, that's a very generous offer. I still wasn't sure If I would buy a retail version of the Rift right away, now I can't wait for the official launch. This is a really nice gesture of sharing some of that Facebook money with early supporters like me and also a great success story for Kickstarter.

Can you imagine if Nintendo offered a free NX to those that bought a Wii on launch! I'm not trolling, I just can't get my head around this kind of action. Does anyone remember a similar situation happening with hardware? All in all, is seems super aggressive in the best possible way. I am curious what the demographic is of the early Kickstarter supporters. How many are industry enthusiast and how many are just dreamers with money to burn?

LordCanti

Thank you Oculus. I was looking at over a grand for Rift+Vid Card+Touch so having the cost of the Rift taken care of is fantastic. Giving us a free one is definitely above and beyond anything I was expecting.

Briarios

Can you imagine if Nintendo offered a free NX to those that bought a Wii on launch! I'm not trolling, I just can't get my head around this kind of action. Does anyone remember a similar situation happening with hardware? All in all, is seems super aggressive in the best possible way. I am curious what the demographic is of the early Kickstarter supporters. How many are industry enthusiast and how many are just dreamers with money to burn?

Well, when Facebook bought Oculus, there was a lot of negative emotions regarding them just using Kickstarter as a pedestal to sell out -- basically, they used other people's money to make themselves very wealthy.

This is the right decision to make to reward those people for investing and making Lucky and his cohort multi-millionaires. The message it sends is "You guys made this possible with us, so you get rewarded, too."

It's definitely not something that they were required to do or were expected to do, but it speaks very well of their intent and that they were being honest with their Kickstarter investors.

They deserve a lot of positive press for this.

Ashler

Kinda sad I only got the DK1 from the Oculus Website at the time, but respect to them for doing this!

Nice touch. I'm one of those filthy DK2 buyers though.

I know a few DK1 owners who will be doing cartwheels around the room when they hear the news.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

Jimrpg

Congrats to everyone who's getting a free rift!

Thanks Oculus you just made 10m (or however many) oculus preorderers incredibly jealous! Throw us a bone will you?

My pc is ready for my free Oculus. I think that was the best email I ever received. I'd booked tomorrow off to be ready to jump on the pre orders and follow the news and all that. Instead, Oculus already have my shipping information and they will be sending me one for free with two games, apparently amongst the first shipments.

Yup. That $300 I spent back in 2012 is the best $300 I think I ever spent on gaming.

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh my god. I'm trying to save money right now so I was going to hold off.

I'm so glad I backed this. Thanks Oculus!

spekkeh

Banned
I wonder how many people that raged about the Facebook takeover are now experiencing what their foot tastes like.

Is Notch getting one? :p

I am so pissed about this. I mean, good move for all the Kickstarter backers, but I specifically didn't back the Kickstarter because Oculus were so adamant that it was really just for devs and you shouldn't have any expectations of a consumer-grade experience and anyways the consumer headset will be way better so you should hold out for that anyways.

So now not only did I have to wait two years for a headset, I'll now have to pay way more (possibly twice as much or more!) because a) it's almost certainly going to be more than the Kickstarter price and b) the Canadian dollar is in the shitter. Fuck.

Salamande

Ok, I no longer need to worry about which headset to buy. Get free rift, buy Vive :D

Had to read the email 3 times before I believed that I parsed it correctly. "Small token" my ass.

This, exactly. I was just budgeting for the Rift preorder when I got the email. Guess I'll be getting a Vive, as well!

Seeding the world with missionaries is a smart move by Oculus. Easily worth a few million in hardware.

KHarvey16

I am so pissed about this. I mean, good move for all the Kickstarter backers, but I specifically didn't back the Kickstarter because Oculus were so adamant that it was really just for devs and you shouldn't have any expectations of a consumer-grade experience and anyways the consumer headset will be way better so you should hold out for that anyways.

So now not only did I have to wait two years for a headset, I'll now have to pay way more (possibly twice as much or more!) because a) it's almost certainly going to be more than the Kickstarter price and b) the Canadian dollar is in the shitter. Fuck.

They weren't adamant during the campaign that it was only for devs. It was targeted at a hardcore audience willing to deal with a technology in its infancy and developers looking to design games for it. DK2 had a much bigger "devs only" push. I think it's kinda crappy to be bitter about them doing this.

Glassboy

Thank you oculus. What an incrediblely kind gesture. this is the kind of gesture that is almost unheard of. Major companies don't have to give a fuck about the original people who supported them because they probably know that all the early adopters will be there purchasing the new rift day one. Bravo Oculus and Facebook!

They weren't adamant during the campaign that it was only for devs. It was targeted at a hardcore audience willing to deal with a technology in its infancy and developers looking to design games for it. DK2 had a much bigger "devs only" push. I think it's kinda crappy to be bitter about them doing this.
That matches my memory too. DK1 was for devs and enthusiasts.

Zafir

Makes me sad I didn't back it, but at the time I just didn't have the money.

(Being a uni student suckkkkeeddd)

This is super cool. I ordered a DK1 after the kickstarter, and a DK2 when it launched, but if there's no discount for me for the CV1, that's fine. I'll be f5ing tomorrow morning to order like the rest of us.

Top Bottom