• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everyone who pledged for a Rift DK is getting a free Kickstarter Edition Oculus Rift

update: PSA: Oculus Kickstarter Backers Have Until February 1st to Claim Free Rift

--

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-game/posts/1458224?ref=backer_project_update

Thank you from Oculus

Friends,

On August 1, 2012, we launched a Kickstarter campaign to seed the development of a groundbreaking virtual reality headset – Oculus Rift.

Tomorrow, we'll be opening Rift pre-orders on Oculus.com. This is a major milestone on the path to putting great VR in the hands of millions.

You’re going to experience thrilling adventures in Lucky’s Tale and Edge of Nowhere, feel your heart race as you scale mountains in The Climb, and become a rockstar in Rockband VR. You’ll create and share something magical in Oculus Medium and participate in the ultimate space dogfighting in EVE: Valkyrie. As one of the early supporters of Oculus, you helped make this revolution happen. And before we open Rift pre-orders to the world, we wanted to share one more special update with you, our Kickstarter community.

As a small token of our appreciation for your support, all Kickstarter backers who pledged for a Rift development kit will get a free Kickstarter Edition Oculus Rift! And like all Rift pre-order purchasers, you’ll receive a bundled copy of Lucky’s Tale and EVE: Valkyrie.

To claim your free Rift, fill out the survey you’ll receive from Kickstarter before February 1, 2016 and provide a shipping address that is located in one of the 20 countries Rift is launching in. For those who don’t live in one of those 20 countries, we’re working on an alternative, and you can let us know your preference in the form.

You were there at the beginning of our journey -- we couldn’t have done it without you. Today marks a new chapter.

Thank you!

-- Palmer, Brendan, Nate, Michael

vid at the link

Corpekata

Banned
Kudos. That's a pretty big gesture. Anyone know how many free headsets that will be? Wow.

9000 backers, but some backed higher than normal obviously so probably somewhere in the 5-8k range I'd bet.

Presuming this is specifically just for KS backers.

Man

I'm getting a free special edition Oculus Rift. My mind is melting right now.

Thank you Oculus VR! :D

mnannola

Wow that is amazing and unexpected. Good on them for showing gratitude to the people that helped them get off the ground.

What about everyone that ordered a development kit of their website. I'll take a coupon, or at least priority in the pre-order queue. Throw me a bone Oculus.

ps3ud0

I'm getting a free special edition Oculus Rift. My mind is melting right now.

Thank you Oculus VR! :D
Honestly more thanks for putting your money where your mouth is - I wouldnt have, so enjoy the reward - well deserved IMO

ps3ud0 8)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I guess this is a useful way to keep (some) people on-side if there really is a sticker-shock coming. Perhaps especially 'influencers'/enthusiasts/journalists who backed it.

Teletraan1

Banned
Cool move.

Those backers are probably going to be the first to move on to whatever version is next after the initial release version. With how fast tech is likely to move in this space are we expecting at least yearly refreshes do they not want to scare people off with talk of that yet lol? You have to expect that with so many competing products they will ape features from each other and release new versions down the road.

I can't believe this, that is incredible. I am so jealous, I didn't get a dev kit cause I wanted to save up for the retail. Now I feel stupid.

Durante

Ok, I no longer need to worry about which headset to buy. Get free rift, buy Vive :D

Had to read the email 3 times before I believed that I parsed it correctly. "Small token" my ass.

Bookoo

That's an awesome gesture, pity it doesn't include DK2 purchases. I'm jealous

Meh, it doesn't even include DK1 owners who bought after Kickstarter. It makes sense though since at that point you at least knew you were going to at least get a real product and weren't taking a gamble.

Orbis

So is this anyone who got the original DK1? I bought the Oculus Developer Kit in Jan 2013. If not I'm not fussed, it's a massive gesture even if it's just for the Kickstarter guys.

baphomet

That's insane.

A move like that just got their consumer headset into a massive amount of hands. People who may have been holding off for the Vive after purchasing a DK now have the consumer version.

It probably cost them a fortune, but this is the sort of thing that will seal the winner in the PC market.

Dineren

Banned
Congrats to everyone that backed, what a great gesture by Oculus. Although now I bitterly regret buying the dk1 later instead of backing the kickstarter like I had originally planned :p.

So is this anyone who got the original DK1? I bought the Oculus Developer Kit in Jan 2013. If not I'm not fussed, it's a massive gesture even if it's just for the Kickstarter guys.

Just the Kickstarter backers.

def sim

A buddy of mine will be getting one, very cool. This will make the Rift the first retail release VR platform I try.

This is pretty clever. I was going to take a wait-and-see approach to the commercial headsets, but now I guess the choice is made for me. Though, I can't complain about a little of that Facebook money coming my way.

Usobuko

Banned
Aggressive Oculus is the best Oculus.

The fight between Vive and Oculus in the western PC space is one to watch and a lesson to be reminded should one of them fade away.

Hype, the time has come for an entertaining show.

YuShtink

I'm in the same boat as you and I don't think we're included. Only for the actual Kickstarter backers. Awesome gesture though you can't except them to give free Rifts to like 15,000 people.

Alexlf

Heck ya. Knew the kickstarter would be something special when I first heard the idea on MTBS years ago. Never guessed it would have gone this far this fast. Congrats everyone! See you all in cyber space soon.

Just kickstarter guys. I'm missing out as well, but huge props to them for essentially giving more than double value to those backers. Has to be a first for kickstarter projects.

Aggressive Oculus is the best Oculus.

The fight between Vive and Oculus in the western PC space is one to watch and a lesson to be reminded should one of them fade away.

Hype, the time has come for an entertaining show.

I'd much rather they coexist on top of an open software platform, but it seems like any chance of that has slipped away.

Oyume

Neo Member
This is an awesome gesture, even thought I'm missing out, since I only backend the KS with 15$ and bought one of the first DK1 batches from their Oculus store afterwards.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Wow. Amazing way to treat those that felt "cheated" after the Facebook buyout.

PGamer

fucking juniors
And now I'm regretting not getting a DK1 to wait for the DK2. Oh well. Cool move for the early adopters.

Top Bottom