• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everything looks like crap after playing TLOU2

CuNi

TLOU2 can't keep up with Portal 1 and 2 when it comes to Portal-Technology. I'm sure you like this game very much and are quit invested in its success, but I am positive, once you become a part of the Aperture Science Testing Initiative, you'll never leave that place again. And hey, they even got cake. Does TLOU2 have Cake? Didn't think so...

Kikorin

Meanwhile, my most anticipated game right now is Deadly Premonition 2.

Just to add something worth to the thread, I had a similar situation when I played Max Payne 3. After it, has been difficult to enjoy another TPS since the gameplay, gunplay and IA was on another level. Sadly, until today nothing has still surpassed or matched it.

mejin

Character animation, interactions, facial expressions...this is something I felt it right away watching Marvel Avengers.

Cyberpunk is also below TLoU 2, but you have to remember it is a open world with a lot of shit to do.

Anyway, it is really an exception...I don't expect devs doing the same attention to details like ND does.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Seriously not.

Fuck that. This takes nothing to little away from other already gorgeous looking games.

And while TLOU2 is definitely great, your claims are quite hyperbolic. TLOU2 has some real flaws, as awesome as the game is.

I still wonder what the replay value will be like since the game has a LOT of walking and talking like UC4 before it. Thankfully the gameplay ends up being much better, with a lot more agency and exploration overall.

I don't think I'm even halfway yet though. We'll see how I feel when I finish it.

Imagine having never played a PC game before...

Um I have a PC that can easily do 1440p and often 4k. What PC games blow TLOU2 out of the water?

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Totally agree. All other games look and play like shit compared to TLOU2. I'm scared for GoT.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
this is how i felt about other openworld games after finishing breath of the wild.

It ruined horizon zero dawn for me.

TLOU2 basically ruins film like story telling in other games.
Going forward i will use this game to measure other games.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Technically and visually, TLOUP2 is superb but gameplay is clunky and stiff while the story is a total clusterfuck but to each their own.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Tlou2 looks so good it makes ghost of tshushima look like a switch game.
Seriously!? Why people need be hyperbolic about everything? from tech side TLOU part 2 might be better, but I personally like setting and visuals style in Ghost of Tsushima more.

Play Red Dead Redemption2 on XB1X. Still the best and technical looking current gen console game.
Play Doom Eternal, which is a 60fps game.
Play Gears 5. Tell me a game that looks better that is a 60fps game.

TLOU2 looks great, but is only at 1400p/30fps.It has cutbacks. It has great art

Still have Ghost of Tsushima, Halo Infinite, AC Valhalla, and Cyberpunk 2077

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Nope i still think this game looks Gorgeous
images

images

Just look at it, not even Ellie can kill something that cute

rapister

Neo Member
this is not surprising because graphics tend to peak at the end of the life cycle of every console.
for the Ps3, TLOU was released near its end too, when graphics standards also peaked.

having said that, graphics is important, but isn't the most important factor in a game.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

Seriously.😐 in every aspect. Graphics. Animation. Emotion. Design. Cinnematics. Camera work. Nothing can't touch it. I'm a super graphics whore, so it probably matters more to me than others.
The best faces I've seen this generation is RT cut scenes in DMC5 where the SSS in On and TLOU2 in general. Although stylized I think FF7R characters look freaking amazing. Aerith, Barret and Marlene just hits it out of the park. Detroit BH is also incredible.

One thing that really stood out to me in TLOU2 is the density of the vegation, I LOVE IT, especially the insane draw distance of the grass. The only game that rivals it in my opinion is HZD but the grass didn't reach as far away.

The irony of the HZD Decima engine is it's incredible ability to efficiently render dense beautiful vegetation yet Death Stranding is the most baren game I've seen.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Is this gonna turn into another war thread? Why do people even care so much about graphics?
Art >>>>>> graphics

Mister Wolf

Character animation, interactions, facial expressions...this is something I felt it right away watching Marvel Avengers.

Cyberpunk is also below TLoU 2, but you have to remember it is a open world with a lot of shit to do.

Anyway, it is really an exception...I don't expect devs doing the same attention to details like ND does.

By this logic alone I find Red Dead Redemption 2 the most impressive looking game of this closing generation. At least until Cyberpunk releases.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
TLOU2 is one of the most visually impressive games I've ever laid eyes on, but the premise of the thread is still flawed.

I'll never look at other games across platforms (and time) and think any less of them cuz of TLOU2. Nope.

GymWolf

i can understand that digital acting, animations and death animations are a step above other games but i still enjoy the graphics in other games.

although doggos animations are better in rdr2🐶

Last edited:

GymWolf

By this logic alone I find Red Dead Redemption 2 the most impressive looking game of this closing generation. At least until Cyberpunk releases.
rdr2 IS the most impressive game out there and it's not gonna be surpassed by cyberpunk most probably (pc version vs pc version of course)

there is something magic in that fucking game maybe the shrinking balls on your horse, who knows?!

Last edited:
Overall RDR2 is definitely more aesthetically pleasing game since it varies so much more, but I wouldn't compare TOLU2's most stunning scenes with anything in RDR2 as well as character models, textures or lighting. Photomode up close character models in TLOU2 are phenomenal.
On console? Maybe not. There's numerous optimisations in the effects that make them run better but not hold up quite so well, like grainy artifacting in the clouds, or the animal fur that looks rather funky. But on PC where those can settings can be stepped up, removing the obvious artifacts...it's the overall best looking (released) game I've ever fucking seen. Sure, maybe a game here or there could look better in this or that specific scene, but in terms of overall cohesiveness nothing even comes close...even if it does run poorly.

Guilty_AI

there is something magic in that fucking game.
Lots of crunch and overtime work.
As good as these games look, i can't help but wonder if all those pointless animations, realistic gore and horse's shitting are worth the mental health of the devs

hyperbertha

Its gonna be a tie between RDR2 , TlOU2 and Cyberpunk this gen. I don't see how anyone can meaningfully pick a winner from these three.

Edit: Death Stranding would have made it to this list purely from cutscene quality, but ingame it falls a tad short imo. Sorry miyajima.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Lots of crunch and overtime work.
As good as these games look, i can't help but wonder if all those pointless animations, realistic gore and horse's shitting are worth the mental health of the devs
crunch+8-9 years of develpment+around 3000 devs of total manforce+probably the biggest budget for a single videogame ever.

yep.

gta6 is gonna be mental to say the least.

Last edited:
I don't see how anything can get close. TLOU2 is the gold standard as far as all aspects of a game's overall makeup is concerned. The only game that remains that may challenge TLOU2 is Tsushima and it's yet another game from PlayStation Studios....
Some people clearly haven't played RDR2 on the XB1X. TLOU2 is only 1440p/30fps.
Play Gears 5 and tell me a game that looks better at 60fps from ANY Sony 1st party game. Go ahead!
Play Doom Eternal (60fps and 1800-4k on XB1X)

And wait for Halo Infinite, Cyberpunk 2077, and AC Valhalla.

TLOU2 is the best look PS4 game, so it makes sense that some of you are omitting RDR2 on XB1X.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

someone is gonna put metro exodus and control (pc versions) in that list, you know, rtx and shit.
Motion capture, characters models, facial expressions etc in those games aren't nearly high end enough to reach the list. RTX in those games is so partial it only qualifies as bonus bells and whistles. This gen doesn't have a fully ray traced game.

GymWolf

Motion capture, characters models, facial expressions etc in those games aren't nearly high end enough to reach the list. RTX in those games is so partial it only qualifies as bonus bells and whistles. This gen doesn't have a fully ray traced game.
i know that, but some people is gonna tell you that shadows, reflections and ligths are the most important things in a videogame...

Last edited:

Collin

Banned
I agree. The best looking games are ones that capitalize on the intersection of graphical fidelity and art direction, something TLOUII nails in both departments.

The game is visually stunning in moments, particularly scenes when it’s raining. The night time sequence when you first meet Yara and Lev and the cult island come to mind.

Guilty_AI

crunch+9 years of develpment+around 3000 devs of total manforce+probably the biggest budget for a single videogame ever.

yep.
This actually brings to another point. 9 years to develop a game is pretty overkill, i wonder how sustainable that is in the long run.

I really wish people would just stop obsessing over graphics and pointless little details. With just that games can be cheaper and take less time and work to make. TLoU2 definitely didn't need all those animations for upgrading weapons

GymWolf

This actually brings to another point. 9 years to develop a game is pretty overkill, i wonder how sustainable that is in the long run.

I really wish people would just stop obsessing over graphics and pointless little details. With just that games can be cheaper and take less time and work to make. TLoU2 definitely didn't need all those animations for upgrading weapons
i can understand what you say, but as a final customer i will lie if i tell you that i didn't loved all the details that comes from crunch.
it helps the immersion immensely and in ultra realistic games like tlou2 or rdr2 is 50% of what sells the entire graphics compartment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom