• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everything looks like crap after playing TLOU2

sol_bad

I agree with op, easily the best looking game ever. I have jazzed my pants so many times in the 14 hours I've played. It's an amazing technical achievement, on 7 year old hardware. Let's see a Geforce Series 7 do the same.

And yeah, I'm primarily a PC gamer and I know PC has higher framerates and higher resolutions. But majority of PC games look like console games but higher res, there is no wow factor. PC is generally held back by consoles, we'll never have another Crysis moment on PC.

Brofist

I agree with op, easily the best looking game ever. I have jazzed my pants so many times in the 14 hours I've played. It's an amazing technical achievement, on 7 year old hardware. Let's see a Geforce Series 7 do the same.

And yeah, I'm primarily a PC gamer and I know PC has higher framerates and higher resolutions. But majority of PC games look like console games but higher res, there is no wow factor. PC is generally held back by consoles, we'll never have another Crysis moment on PC.

Let me guess, you have a 2080Ti rig that never gets played cause you like the comfy couch style of gaming.

Seems like every PS gamer happens to have a PC hanging around that's better than the average PC gamers' :messenger_grinning_smiling:

sol_bad

Let me guess, you have a 2080Ti rig that never gets played cause you like the comfy couch style of gaming.

Seems like every PS gamer happens to have a PC hanging around that's better than the average PC gamers' :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Nope, GTX1070 laptop. Newest game I've played is Fallen Order. Yeah it looks nice but didn't have me saying "WOW".

makaveli60

Seriously.😐 in every aspect. Graphics. Animation. Emotion. Design. Cinnematics. Camera work. Nothing can't touch it. I'm a super graphics whore, so it probably matters more to me than others.
I have the same fear. Even for Ghost of Tsushima, which I really looking forward to and it will be amazing but I feel I will be amazed less because of TLoU II.

AzureFlame

I still think Red Dead Redemption 2 looks more impressive overall.

Devil May Cry 5 and Final Fantasy VII Remake look crazy good as well.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
lmao what? besides cutscenes the graphics are good cause of the linearity and small level design, but its not even a good looking game, after seeing ps5 in action, shit looks like ps3 at some points. i really dont get it how people think it can look so good.
Not a good looking game?? Lmao

J6HO5bq.jpg

I have the same fear. Even for Ghost of Tsushima, which I really looking forward to and it will be amazing but I feel I will be amazed less because of TLoU II.
Yeah that's my next one. I just feel like it will seem so stiff. You know dude's face is going to be 😠the whole time. Lol. I'm going to want those kills to be emphasized by the camera. I'm sure it will be perty but design will seem too video gamey.

Chiggs

Congratulations on your crap post. If there was a nomination for Crappy Post of the Week, I'd surely nominate yours.

The Geforce 7 series came out in 2005; the PS4 came out in 2013. Are you saying that since a 15 year-old Nvidia GPU doesn't have the same performance capability as a 7 year-old console GPU, PC gaming is somehow inferior and couldn't do something as grandiose as The Last of Us 2, with it's cheap pre-baked lighting and awful grain effect?

Perhaps you were talking about the Geforce 700 series, which actually came out in 2013. But since you're a PC Gamer, you'd surely you'd know that most 700 series cards would cream the POS GPU in the PS4. Hell, if Naughty Dog had access to even a scaled down 760, there's no telling just how much better The Last of Us 2 would actually look. Heck, even a 750 TI would be a step up.

I've attached this handy chart to show you just how shitty the PS4 is when compared to 700 series Nvidia cards. Feel free to "jazz" your pants over that.
  • Please understand that this chart is taking into account the entire system performance of the PS4, while the Nvidia GPUs are not being paired with a 2013 Intel or AMD CPU. Because if they were....
  • Seriously, please, please understand the comment above before making a post.
xCM9cT3.png

Last edited:
Yeah that's my next one. I just feel like it will seem so stiff. You know dude's face is going to be 😠the whole time. Lol. I'm going to want those kills to be emphasized by the camera. I'm sure it will be perty but design will seem too video gamey.

Graphics will be fine. That wind simulation they got going is crazy, and environments look eye candy great. The animations is where the biggest gap is - that will definitely be noticeable - it's already when you look at the trailers/gameplay for Tsushima. Also that camara does a helluva lot to get you hooked. It's one of the many reasons God of War and Sony Santa Monica used it as well.

sobaka770

Banned
In terms of graphics I think TLOU2 looks great but some other games especially stylised can look beautiful as well.

What I find unparalleled is the animations and the smoothness of it all. Going back to some games just highlights how janky the movements and transitions are even in AAA games. Motion matching needs to grow.

Doesn't hold up... the very start of the game where Joel is on the horse, the first thing I thought was that it blows RDR2 out of the water. But I guess RDR2 was full open-world..... it's still a beautiful game.

I'll post a pic soon of that... if that USB transfer can rush the hell up. Looks like artwork, literally.

Edit: Looks obviously better on TV without the crappy compression. Hopefully on Nxgen hardware we can get better shit without a capture card req. (base PS4).

The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-20200621074218.jpg

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

I understand OP. TLOU Part II looks better than some next generation titles overall, with its attention to detail both big and small

Lordani66

Banned

Oh how the PCMR is going to cry when PS5 comes out with specs higher than those of 97% of PCMR. And if you consider low access to CPGPU, single specification per console and closed system, the boost in performance is even bigger there than "on paper" (PS5 is GPU-wise on the same level as 1080ti/2080 and veeeery few Pissy fanboys have 8/16 CPUs). Not to mention SSD boost to the performance, never seen before. Can't wait to see the retardation that will come out of this generation.

webber

TLOU Part II is the most advanced game this generation with its facial animations, movement animations, character models, AI and how they communicate, foliage, etc
Yes indeed.
My first playthrough was on survivor and my second is currently on survivor+ and the AI is freaking awesome.
On survivor+ the enemies are WAY more aggressive and I think there's more of them...
...but I might be mistaken.
They rarely miss a shot and they flank you like hienas on crack.

Hobbygaming

Yes indeed.
My first playthrough was on survivor and my second is currently on survivor+ and the AI is freaking awesome.
On survivor+ the enemies are WAY more aggressive and I think there's more of them...
...but I might be mistaken.
They rarely miss a shot and they flank you like hienas on crack.
Yesterday I had an enemy peeking through the holes you can fit through to shoot me, other games might have things like this but it doesn't look nearly as cool or believable

The enemies also call out when your gun is out of bullets then they really act fast to kill you

webber

The film grade is to hide the 1440p resolution and to give it a certain look according to DF
Well I don't know cause I don't own a PS4 Pro.
On basic PS4 at 1080p the game looks just a bit blurry and reducing the film grain would help ALOT.
Since I have a 1080p plasma everything looks super crisp due to the response time of the panel so things like 30fps stutter (really bad in bright scenes in this game) and anything to do with motion looks really noticable.
Film grain is one of this things. Even if it wasn't this strong I would notice it but it's so strong and noisy in this game it fucks up the contrast, giving the image this grayish/noisy look.
For a game with all those accessibility options this looks like an oversight.

Oh how the PCMR is going to cry when PS5 comes out with specs higher than those of 97% of PCMR. And if you consider low access to CPGPU, single specification per console and closed system, the boost in performance is even bigger there than "on paper" (PS5 is GPU-wise on the same level as 1080ti/2080 and veeeery few Pissy fanboys have 8/16 CPUs). Not to mention SSD boost to the performance, never seen before. Can't wait to see the retardation that will come out of this generation.

Sometimes I have a hard time believing these things are posted by adults...

Lunk

Game felt artificial as hell and it had that awful TAA solution with film grain and so many ugly artifacts of blur when moving the camera. I was impressed by how they linked together transitions of obviously warping between maps using in-game cutscenes, but the gameplay itself was like... meh, and the graphics felt like I've seen better. I still think Bloodborne looks fantastic with its cloth physics and physics based lighting. It also used FXAA only which gives a way smoother image despite letting a few jaggies remain.

I was on base PS4 on a 1080p TV and to me it looked impressive but not out of this world.

Last edited:

Aion002

It is pretty..... But on the PS4 is not that far ahead of other semi-open world games like Uncharted LL or God of War.

Also, on full linear games, The Order is way more "graphically impressive" and in full open world games like Days Gone, Death Stranding and RDR2, there are so many more impressive things going on than some better animations and some other stuff that TLU2 has over them.

For me, some "horde moments" in Days Gone shits on every "wow" aspect that TLU2 have.

The game is fine, but for me it was not out of this gen....

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
LOU 2 has so many impressive visual moments, when you thought you've been wowed enough, it just keeps on giving the further you go in.........This game has great ATD, awesome vistas, huge levels with scope both in breadth and height. Very impressive lighting and animations, fluid controls and player feedback, great sound cues. In every aspect of putting a game together, other devs need to take note, sit down and learn.....

sol_bad

Congratulations on your crap post. If there was a nomination for Crappy Post of the Week, I'd surely nominate yours.

The Geforce 7 series came out in 2005; the PS4 came out in 2013. Are you saying that since a 15 year-old Nvidia GPU doesn't have the same performance capability as a 7 year-old console GPU, PC gaming is somehow inferior and couldn't do something as grandiose as The Last of Us 2, with it's cheap pre-baked lighting and awful grain effect?

Perhaps you were talking about the Geforce 700 series, which actually came out in 2013. But since you're a PC Gamer, you'd surely you'd know that most 700 series cards would cream the POS GPU in the PS4. Hell, if Naughty Dog had access to even a scaled down 760, there's no telling just how much better The Last of Us 2 would actually look. Heck, even a 750 TI would be a step up.

I've attached this handy chart to show you just how shitty the PS4 is when compared to 700 series Nvidia cards. Feel free to "jazz" your pants over that.
  • Please understand that this chart is taking into account the entire system performance of the PS4, while the Nvidia GPUs are not being paired with a 2013 Intel or AMD CPU. Because if they were....
xCM9cT3.png

Yep, I meant the 700 series.
And there is no way a 700 series could run a game like TLOU2

xCM9cT3.png

tenor.gif

This is how I imagined you when reading sol_bad sol_bad 's post.

Kerotan

Lmao I just bought thief for $2 on sale. This game looks and plays like a steaming pile of shit compared to TLOU2.

I'm also playing tearaway but at least that's a good looking game that also plays well. I think that platformer is a good choice to play after because anything that could be compared to TLOU isn't go to come out favourably.

GametimeUK

I think people oversell the graphics on PC. Don't get me wrong they are fantastic, but the main difference is performance and resolution. To run Red Dead 2 at 60fps at around 1900p I need to use Xbox One X settings and have Gsync clear up any framedrops at stressful areas.

TLOU2 looks great and would have been praised for its visuals if it was released for PC and you were seeing the same settings especially when bumped up to 4k.

i thought there a lot more physcs object than before tho, even items, like bullets or gun poweder and the likes react to movements for no real reason.
I have a guard knock some bullets from a table not long ago while playing. This it's sure no red faction, but there it's a lot of things to break.

Film grain it's really noticable in movies shot on film that are not imax or some ludicrous shit like that. I don't mind it really just as i don't mind the film grain in TLoU.
I have to say tho, i have no idea why this is the case, but TLoU2 when HDR it's disabled, the film grains looks waaaay more blantant. I tried playing a little without HDR and i was shocked by how much film grain i was looking compared to the previous mode.

really? Cus when I like would run into things that would obviously move I was kinda taken out by the fact that they didn’t budge. Maybe it’s more than the first game I forget but it certainly wasn’t a lot at all, at least from my play through - I guess the grass moves. But like objects in stores and shit are pretty static - not asking for red faction levels at all I sincerely didn’t notice much happening with the physics

Top Bottom