• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everything looks like crap after playing TLOU2

GymWolf

Outdoor stuff in this game looks a lot better than the indoor part where you can see some low res texture here and there.

Also the second part of the game is noticeably more impressive than the first one in terms of locations.

zkorejo

Looks better than GOW and RDR2 (it was amazing for an open world though). Not sure in comparison with U4 it looked pretty amazing too.. but I guess the more gritty presentation makes tlou 2 look more realistic.

Tlou 2 definitely is one of the best looking games out there, while still being a PS4 exclusive. Along with the graphics, the sound design and animation. Technically it's all top notch quality for a soon to be last gen console.

ZywyPL

Banned
What game has an active playerbase greater than 110-120 million PS4's?

200.gif

Minecraft, Fortnite, Roblox, League of Legends, Crossfire, Apex Legends, those kind of games come to mind.

pLow7

I watched the CP2077 Trailer yesterday and the difference in Motion cap and acting is incredibly huge.

It's stupid to think that a game of CP2070 scope will get anywhere close to it, since all of the scenes where motion captured by actual Actors. This would take years in a game if CP scope, but you still see the huge difference.

Hunnybun

I've been disappointed by TLOU2's graphics so far. They're good, but they don't blow me away.

I just played through the section from the E3 demo and it looks clearly downgraded to me, as well.

I think the drabness of the environments really hold it back. It's such a hard style to make beautiful.

But so far it's been one of the least impressive big Sony games I've played. All of the following look better to me

Uncharted 4
The Lost Legacy
Spider-Man
God of War
Ratchet & Clank
Horizon Zero Dawn

Darius87

TLOU2 is one of the best looking game to date ND everytime raises the bar in GFX and animation when they launch new game and no RDR2 doesn't looks better then TLOU2 i mean that when comparing the most beautiful and most detailed scenes because there's no AAA game which is consistent in detail also i could say that character models in TLOU2 is the best to date and please stop comparing moded pc games to LOU2 it doesn't makes sense.
here some screenshots on PS4 vanilla.
The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-20200620215800.jpg
The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-20200620220344.jpg
The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-20200620215327.jpg
The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-20200620220106.jpg

scalman

Its not just looks as visuals alone its whole picture its feeling from game if you going to it fully changed with this. Its not same anymore as was before.

TLOU2 is one very pretty game...but its still a very closed design game...its art direct that helps that game as well as most ND games
i still have to give the best looking and technical award to RDR2 (Not on ps4 though).....that game is really an onion

Last edited:

sol_bad

Looks better than GOW and RDR2 (it was amazing for an open world though). Not sure in comparison with U4 it looked pretty amazing too.. but I guess the more gritty presentation makes tlou 2 look more realistic.

Tlou 2 definitely is one of the best looking games out there, while still being a PS4 exclusive. Along with the graphics, the sound design and animation. Technically it's all top notch quality for a soon to be last gen console.

Oh yeah.
Forget about the graphics, the sound design and the music is incredible. Even the simple shattering of a glass window sounds amazing. But yeah, that music, the bass line has me on the edge of my fucking seat with every encounter. I'm zoned out while playing this game. My wife is talking to me but I ain't hearing her.

Hunnybun

TLOU2 is one of the best looking game to date ND everytime raises the bar in GFX and animation when they launch new game and no RDR2 doesn't looks better then TLOU2 i mean that when comparing the most beautiful and most detailed scenes because there's no AAA game which is consistent in detail also i could say that character models in TLOU2 is the best to date and please stop comparing moded pc games to LOU2 it doesn't makes sense.
here some screenshots on PS4 vanilla.
The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-20200620215800.jpg
The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-20200620220344.jpg
The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-20200620215327.jpg
The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-20200620220106.jpg

It's no coincidence that the images you chose are of one of the few absolutely attractive environments in the game.

Gamerguy84

Have I been wrong with anything that I've said before? That's your answer.

Ive read a lot of your posts on this matter. Honestly I personally dont care. My next build would do this game justice, as will the PS5.

Sony as a publisher would do great as their 1st party stuff is unrivaled IMO.

I just cant see it coming anytime soon though. No way are they going to risk cutting into HW sales which translate into subs and software sales.

A few years sure why not. Who wants to leave money on the table and walk away?

But even if it comes sooner they wont do it with all their titles. It seems like they just want to entice more people to their ecosystem by showing the quality of games they put out.

Every single 1st party PS exclusive that comes out gets the graphics crown by PS gamers putting them up on pedestals. It was like this the entire previous generation and I don't see that changing going forward with next-gen. Superior hardware (3000-series GPUs, CPUs, and Samsung SSDs) that's not on the newer consoles will be overlooked or explained away since it's not something console gamers can brag about. It's been like a broken record for a long time..

But things will change though. And soon. If rumors are true, TLOU2 will be released on PC and it will be the best iteration of the game. Just like Death Stranding, HZD and other PS exclusives coming to PC.

I suspect threads like these will go by the wayside and the PS fans will resort to having humble attitudes like the Xbox fans when their exclusives will have better versions on more powerful hardware. Be patient..

I have noticed that there are no PS4 1st party exclusives that are 60fps. Yet Halo 5, Gears 5 are both 60fps. Sony 1st party sacrifice performance for graphics, while MS tend to sacrifice graphics for the better performance.

docbot

Banned
I have been feeling the same. It has demonstrated what gaming can be and that games can compete with films as a medium.

Everything now just seems dull. Even Cyberpunk is looking boring to me now, those video gamey voices and acting, it's just not the same anymore :/

I've tried starting RDR2 after TLOU2 and it seems like Pac-Man now compared ;(

A lot of this as has todo with the Animation system in TLOU2, characters just seem alive (no pun indented)

Last edited:
If you liked TLOU2 so much, maybe you should try watching more movies, they are similar - real life graphics, decent stories, also no story choices and no replayability.
Games are why I don't really care for movies much. anymore. Games can now take you on a journey the same way a movie can, but even more so cause you're playing it. For me there is nothing wrong with completing a game and being done with it. I'm wondering how many of you played it. There is no way you guys have seen this game and could still mention Red Dead 2. TLOU2 random npcs look better than most of the main characters in Red Dead.

Barnabot

I went from TLOU2 to Xenoblade Definitive Edition. Shit looks nasty.
one has photorealistic artstyle and the other one is cell shading anime artstyle how can you even compare them? this is not a apples to apples comparison.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I wish people weren’t so hung up on graphics in video games. ND had 7 years of development time to make a linear third person shooter. Of course it is going to look good. But the game basically plays itself when you’re not walking from one cut scene to the next or clearing a room of enemies. The same mash square button QTEs everywhere, the same pointless “press triangle to turn on the generator” kind of empty spectacle. When I see some real improvement in the mechanics of all this then I will be impressed.

Wat. Its a gigantic improvement from the first in terms of gameplay. Twice the weapons, twice the enemy variety, and exponentially more intricate levels. Melee combat in particular is satisfying with the manual dodge system. If anything they could have cut some of the levels due to pacing issues. Its not a game that plays itself...

Laieon

one has photorealistic artstyle and the other one is cell shading anime artstyle how can you even compare them? this is not a apples to apples comparison.

You can definitely compare the two. Textures in Xenoblade look pretty muddy, and the world itself is pretty low poly compared to TLOU2. That makes sense since it's an "old" game now (new character models aside), but it's definitely a bit of a shock to the system going from one to the other.

Esppiral

Is people now comparing a switch game to a PS4 game? Lol

Also TLOU 2 is now the new hot thing so even if Uncharted 4 looks miles better people will argue the opposite

Last edited:

Barnabot

You can definitely compare the two. Textures in Xenoblade look pretty muddy, and the world itself is pretty low poly compared to TLOU2. That makes sense since it's an "old" game now (new character models aside), but it's definitely a bit of a shock to the system going from one to the other.
are you still talking about graphics and art styles or is it now about ps4 vs switch? because everything in your reply is all about the console's limitations not the art style itself.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I have noticed that there are no PS4 1st party exclusives that are 60fps. Yet Halo 5, Gears 5 are both 60fps. Sony 1st party sacrifice performance for graphics, while MS tend to sacrifice graphics for the better performance.
Give me a GOTY at 30FPS anyday

Laieon

are you still talking about graphics and art styles or is it now about ps4 vs switch? because everything in your reply is all about the console's limitations not the art style itself.

The former. Switch has nothing to do with it, I think the best looking game on the system is Mario + Rabbids which is gorgeous. You can absolutely make a game look good while working with the limited specs of the system.I don't think it has to be "VS" anything, I'm just saying going from The Last of Us 2 to Xenoblade DE really made TLOU2 that much more impressive.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I can play both without any issues, this much my personal taste but I like environment designs in Xenoblade more than TLOU2. I mean as impressive as the tech behind TLOU2 is, the environments are basically realistic land scapes, it doesn't match the scale and designs of Xenoblade....for me
01-2-740x435.jpg

xenoblade-chronicles-definitive-edition-screenshots-2-1024x602.jpg

xenoblade-15.original.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
But so far it's been one of the least impressive big Sony games I've played. All of the following look better to me
TLOU2 is a technical marvel... But yeah, for me there are prettier games out there, like God of War or RDR2.

TLOU2 remembered me of the ps3 era, when everything was grey or brown. (Not all the time yeah, but most of the time).

Btw, does this game turn your console into a jet engine?

Laieon

I can play both without any issues, this much my personal taste but I like environment designs in Xenoblade more than TLOU2. I mean as impressive as the tech behind TLOU2 is, the environments are basically realistic land scapes, it doesn't match the scale and designs of Xenoblade....for me
01-2-740x435.jpg

I agree that they're more imaginative and creative (which should go without saying since, as you said, TLOU is based on real life), but in Xenoblade (especially the tree foliage and out in the distance), everything looks muddy, the textures just don't impress me. I never played the original Wii version, so I'm not entirely sure what they updated with the Switch port, but I thought the environments in Xenoblade 2 definitely looked a bit better.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I agree that they're more imaginative and creative (which should go without saying since, as you said, TLOU is based on real life), but in Xenoblade (especially the tree foliage and out in the distance), everything looks muddy, the textures just don't impress me. I never played the original Wii version, so I'm not entirely sure what they updated with the Switch port, but I thought the environments in Xenoblade 2 definitely looked a bit better.
I personally don't care about overall tech, even if you look at Bloodborne, from tech stand point, it is waaay behind compare to games like Spider Man and TLOU2 but it doesn't change the the fact I like visuals in Bloodborne way more. Same story with Xenoblade DE, sure its less impressive tech wise but it doesn't change that I like end result in Xenoblade more than TLOU2.

Minecraft, Fortnite, Roblox, League of Legends, Crossfire, Apex Legends, those kind of games come to mind.

There is a difference between the sales of a specific title, vs. an active player base (none of those games have that). It's a dumb comment to compare a platform (with 1 bllion software sales) to an individual game. More so when even some of those games you mentioned are sold on said platform. Even if you wanted to make it work, you would have to count PS3 sales, and PS2 sales depending on the title discussed (Runescape or World of Warcraft accounts made for example which cross generations). Even under those circumstances the numbers would be dwarfed. Just dumb all around any way it's spun.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
01-2-740x435.jpg

That looks bad, like really bad and out of 2008

Top Bottom