• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVERYTHING |OT| Man suffers only 'cause he takes seriously what the gods made for fun

zabuni

Go deeper.

Many thanks.

Everything is a game where you can be anything, and I decided to be....
C7dpLA6VsAEFr6j.jpg:large

how can you even finish a game like that XD

It definitely has a structure to it. I've "unlocked" all the things to do, and there are a handful of what I would consider
cutscenes
happen. It's clear that the progression for me has ended, and beyond trophies and filling out the list of everything... I've beaten Everything.

I don't feel like I have though, I really enjoy poking around in it or letting the game play itself and seeing what it does.

Kyonashi

Damn I booted it up last night and by the time I had to go to bed I checked on the save screen and I'd played two hours solid. That time just flew by and I still haven't unlocked every "ability". Got to the part where it tells me to
return to where I started.

I'm sure it helped that I was pretty damn stoned first though. The visuals when holding X and rotating the stick in
1D space
are amazing. But I'm interested to see how different it feels sober.

Damn I booted it up last night and by the time I had to go to bed I checked on the save screen and I'd played two hours solid. That time just flew by and I still haven't unlocked every "ability". Got to the part where it tells me to
return to where I started.

I'm sure it helped that I was pretty damn stoned first though. The visuals when holding X and rotating the stick in
1D space
are amazing. But I'm interested to see how different it feels sober.
I played it for 2.5 hours, and I don't ever get intoxicated while playing games. It's definitely mesmerising.

lol, I can't find my way back to where I started - got frustrated and just kept spawning galaxies, then descending to see if it was the galaxy I originated from. No dice. Played it for a good 2-3 hours though, it's strangely addictive.

This is crazy fun. And really really relaxing. Gonna play this high later definitely. Also, how the hell do I get back to where I spawned.

Kyonashi

Hint for those who want to get back to where they started:
Relinquish control.

Not sure if this is the only way, but it worked for my friend.

Holy shit that Polygon review, I'm stunned.

I was getting this game because it looked fascinating but I was almost positive it would get panned critically

Just watched GB's Quick Look and didn't realize how similar (at least in concept) this game was to Nested. Anyone know if David O'Reilly cited it as an inspiration?

Humdinger

Interesting. I don't like the way the animals roll end over end, rather than walk. Makes it seem very game-y, takes me out of the experience. But I get the tech limitations.

Watts is interesting to listen to. I read one of his books once and put it down halfway through, because he gets carried away and phrases things in exaggerated ways. Presumably he does this for effect, but I'd find myself constantly having objections and qualifications to what he said, so I didn't find it persuasive overall. I did like his contrarian spirit, though. I think I'd find listening to his voice more interesting than the actual gameplay.

mokeyjoe

So I've been clouds, krill, atoms and galaxies. A swarm of giant telephones rampaging through the city and an eyeball the size of the sun. I don't think the autoplay is as inventive as me, it's just rolling plastic barrels around the desert.

There's definitely a sense of progression I didn't expect. Even after unlocking the abilities. Collecting everything, listening to all the thoughts. Just exploring. And messing with the world. I wish there was a photo mode.

What does the NG+ do, anyway?

Alphahawk

I'm glad so many seem to like it, but the game just doesn't seem to be for me. There's a lot of times where nothing happens and the pacing just seems maddening. I dunno with all the great games out there (or for that matter, entertainment options in general.) I'd rather not waste it on this.

Polygon, in their video review, kinda pointed out something that sums up my one of my problems with the game, which is that you don't really "control" the specimen in meaningful ways. For instance the penguin plays the exact same way as a pebble.

So I've been poking around with Everything a little. It feels to me as though you are best putting the controller down while Watts is talking just so you can give it your attention. I'm a little bit messed up right now so my multitasking might not really be there. But interacting with beings in the game distracted while he was speaking muddied his message.

I'm finding the keyboard controls a little bit trashy too. Might switch to a pad. I was never fond of games using keys under WASD for regular interactions.

Wish this was getting more love, great experience esp with the Watts recordings. Still discovering a bunch of things after the "tutorial", particularly on the Pikmin-scale. That and the microscopic layers look fantastic visually with the dof, wish they could've had more resources to make the rest look as nice scale-wise.

This is the kind of thing I wish was a bigger release and got more attention so maybe a mod community could grow from it, I need a Katamari one stat!

megalowho

Played through the "tutorial" today and had a good time. Ever since Proteus I've been itching for similar projects with a little more ambition and substance behind the procedural zen. Was not familiar with Alan Watts beforehand and enjoyed the lecture bits. Warmly delivered, unobtrusive and establishes a thematic focus around the randomness. Thought bubbles are also well written and wryly insightful.

Ended up fighting with the camera a bit on PC and the core loop devolved into item cataloging after a while which wasn't too compelling, but I'll be back to chip away at it and mess with autoplay mode. Love how that was considered and thoughtfully implemented, game is perfect for a second monitor or as a screensaver.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
A. This is worth buying and playing, I got it on Steam. There is real inspiration within,and a nearly endless supply of unintentional poetry on top of the fantastic narration from Alan Watt.
B. I still can't figure out how to "return to where I started," I think I've played about 6 hours, lol.
edit:
Okay yeah. Just let go.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm stuck in the tutorial. I'm instructed to press square next to similar animals to me. I now have about 5 following me around but I have no idea what to do next. Rolled around for about 15 mins, read about 6 thought bubbled, the objective at the button is still press square next to the same animal as you.

I'm stuck in the tutorial. I'm instructed to press square next to similar animals to me. I now have about 5 following me around but I have no idea what to do next. Rolled around for about 15 mins, read about 6 thought bubbled, the objective at the button is still press square next to the same animal as you.
The icosahedron icons are tutorials that will tell you more. Soon you will be able to use the shoulder buttons to become smaller or bigger things.

Top Bottom