• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070/1060 BIOS Update

I have a evga 1070 sc, I thought only the 1080 ftw's had issues? I'll download the update, but would it be a better idea for me to RMA my card? Don't want any chance at all of my computer catching fire.

Celeras

Banned
I really don't feel comfortable installing those thermal pads. How bad is it?

Overall? FTW cards seem to be at marginal risk and seem to need quite an aggressive profile now that I looked at the actual numbers on the new BIOS from eVGA. It's not the end of the world it just seems like they favored acoustics a bit too much on the higher clocked cards.

It's worth mentioning that these cards were released in the middle of summer. Thermal issues aren't just going to pop up in the middle of November if you've had one for a while. You are probably fine and can even mess with the fans yourself if you'd like. But in all honesty, there is no reason not to get the new BIOS and I'd recommend everybody do so unless they are confident in their own monitoring.

Just remember we are talking about VRMs here. Not core temp.

_woLf

First and last EVGA card I buy. I wish I could return it for another brand.

EVGA is easily one of the best brands on the market. This is the first time I can remember something like this happening with them and they are handling it very well.

Koeta

First and last EVGA card I buy. I wish I could return it for another brand.

If you look at how they are handling this you would see why people love EVGA so much, they are giving people multiple options to fix this all of which cost the costumer $0, they are even letting you try to fix it yourself with the pad they will send to you for free and if you fuck up it up they will still cover you.

But feel free to hate them and buy some other Brand if you want.

Iced

For anyone who has flashed the bios: does the fan still not turn on until temps exceed 60 degrees? That's what's happening with mine, but with this being a more "aggressive" fan curve, I would have thought EVGA would have changed it to turn on sooner.

Koeta

I got this one.

Am I good or should I be concerned?

MQrLecg.png

Your card uses the ACX3 cooler and is listed here, so you might want to look into your options
http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

Oh fuck, I need to update this thing prompto then.

Thanks guys.

after you update the bios, register the card on EVGA and order the free thermal pads which should be placed on the chokes? temperatures by 10-15C.

people over on reddit are saying that the VRM thermal pad gaps are an entirely different issue and the card could still die out..

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Everybody is covered by their RMA and EVGA's RMA is pretty good (it even works internationally). You'd be down a videocard for a couple weeks/months (depending on which country), but there's really no harm.

Personally, I have already ordered the pads and will install them myself. If the card burns out, I'll just RMA it.

Chanser

For anyone who has flashed the bios: does the fan still not turn on until temps exceed 60 degrees? That's what's happening with mine, but with this being a more "aggressive" fan curve, I would have thought EVGA would have changed it to turn on sooner.

Mine turned on at 56C according to GPU-Z..

Celeras

Banned
Copy pasting what I just threw up on eVGA forums for those who are curious:

Since people were asking I did a quick, non-scientific comparison of the fan profile for my 1080 SC. Keep in mind polling times, so the numbers won't be exact. And if the overall RPM was also increased with the BIOS these percentages won't be apples to apples. But here you go:

jeGBPKw.jpg

My custom profile was basically 1'C = 1% fan after 65-70'C.. so even this new profile is far less aggressive then what I chose myself.

Tahnit

Banned
did the bios update and its 10 degrees cooler. Nice. I dont think ill bother with the thermal pads. My card has been running beautifully since i got it. 1070 SC here.

zoobzone

Meh, sucks that I have to pay shipping out of my own pocket on my first GTX1080 SC when it's their design flaw.

I'll be so mad if my replacement GTX1080 SC dies before the Thermalmod pads arrive and end up paying shipping to them again.

I remember my GTX980 FTW died within months of use too, it was also a design flaw something to do with the voltage provided to the card.

Most def would not buy another EVGA in the future.

did the bios update and its 10 degrees cooler. Nice. I dont think ill bother with the thermal pads. My card has been running beautifully since i got it. 1070 SC here.

this goes beyond just a bios update. the cards chokes doesn't have a thermal pad on it which heats up the surrounding area AND on top of that its being reported that some have noticed the smaller thermal pads aren't making contact with the VRAM which will sooner or later kill your card.. EVGA still hasn't addressed the new issue.

vg260

On the plus side, EVGA support is fantastic and they're based in the US.

Yeah, that is good at least.

If you look at how they are handling this you would see why people love EVGA so much, they are giving people multiple options to fix this all of which cost the costumer $0, they are even letting you try to fix it yourself with the pad they will send to you for free and if you fuck up it up they will still cover you.

But feel free to hate them and buy some other Brand if you want.

As they should. They skimped on the design and should handle it as best as they can. I'm going to install the pads myself, even though it's a hassle I dont want to deal with right now. I'm not pleased they let the situation happen in the first place, and will take my business back to another brand next time as a result. That is all.

this goes beyond just a bios update. the cards chokes doesn't have a thermal pad on it which heats up the surrounding area AND on top of that its being reported that some have noticed the smaller thermal pads aren't making contact with the VRAM which will sooner or later kill your card.. EVGA still hasn't addressed the new issue.

Hm...Welp I might as well look into getting my 1080 SC replaced...*sigh* I hate when high dollar items are defective.

Meh, sucks that I have to pay shipping out of my own pocket on my first GTX1080 SC when it's their design flaw.

I'll be so mad if my replacement GTX1080 SC dies before the Thermalmod pads arrive and end up paying shipping to them again.

I remember my GTX980 FTW died within months of use too, it was also a design flaw something to do with the voltage provided to the card.

Most def would not buy another EVGA in the future.

If you live in the US you don't pay shit for shipping.

vg260

I'm confused. So the bios and thermal pads still don't address the root problem?

In the support reply I just got from them when asking about the situaton, it said, "Please understand that this issue is slightly blown out of proportion."

cripterion

If you live in the US you don't pay shit for shipping.

...and that's the gist of it. If you're in EU they're not that good of a choice when it comes to videocard. Only GPU to die on me was from them and my 980Ti was not even 6 months old, paid 90euros for shipping it and got a replacement with lower ASIC score..

This latest debacle is unacceptable considering the price of some of these cards.

I'm confused. So the bios and thermal pads still don't address the root problem?

In the support reply I just got from them when asking about the situaton, it said, "Please understand that this issue is slightly blown out of proportion."

if you're overclocking the card or gaming for several hours i dont think the issue is blown out of proportion but yeah many believe it doesn't address the root problem. if the VRAM isn't being properly cooled the card will sooner or later die.

the issue can be seen here on a GTX 1080 FTW - look at the pads with no dents. vram isn't making contact.

its an incredible over sight that makes the ACX 3.0 the worst cooler on the market. i wouldn't advise anyone to purchase these cards until this is all properly addressed.

bought a FTW edition literally 10 hours before the news started spreading everywhere that these were breaking all over the place. Luckily my star was understanding and I replaced it an gtx 1070 MSI GAMING X.

it's not that much of a difference from what I heard anyway. Maybe a couple of frames out of the box.

Kadin

Well I just got off the phone with EVGA support and I have to say, they got their shit together. The guy I talked to was very helpful, answered all my questions and set me up for the RMA. I got the first email already and I'm starting the process.

He did say that the thermal pads will be already installed along with the BIOS update of course. I have to upload a copy of my invoice and they will authorize my card for approx $1 just to validate it's legit and said that they normally charge the MSRP of the card but due to this specific case, they're waving that requirement.

Overall I'm very impressed with their ability to take care of this quick and (mostly) easy. It will take a few extra days due to the large number of requests which I'm fine with.

nataku

Huh, guess I'll be doing the RMA cross ship. I spent a ton on this card, EVGA can send me a new one.

I've never actually done this before, but just to be sure... I'll get my fixed card and get it installed before I send my old one back so I won't have any real down time, right? I don't want to be stuck without a card for a few days.

Huh, guess I'll be doing the RMA cross ship. I spent a ton on this card, EVGA can send me a new one.

I've never actually done this before, but just to be sure... I'll get my fixed card and get it installed before I send my old one back so I won't have any real down time, right? I don't want to be stuck without a card for a few days.

you dont have to ship your card back for an RMA cross ship until after the replacement is delivered.

purchased within 30 days and you'll get a brand new replacement.

purchased 30+ days ago - you will receive a refurbished card.

you dont have to ship your card back for an RMA cross ship until after the replacement is delivered.

purchased 30+ days ago and the replacement is a refurbished card.

Damn thats awesome. I think I will order a replacement.

Well I just got off the phone with EVGA support and I have to say, they got their shit together. The guy I talked to was very helpful, answered all my questions and set me up for the RMA. I got the first email already and I'm starting the process.

He did say that the thermal pads will be already installed along with the BIOS update of course. I have to upload a copy of my invoice and they will authorize my card for approx $1 just to validate it's legit and said that they normally charge the MSRP of the card but due to this specific case, they're waving that requirement.

Overall I'm very impressed with their ability to take care of this quick and (mostly) easy. It will take a few extra days due to the large number of requests which I'm fine with.
Glad to hear more confirmation that they aren't holding the full price of the card. I'll definitely be starting a RMA now.

Kadin

Yeah the latter part I had a bit of an issue with because this specific issue was sold this way from day one. They really should be treating it as though we bought it within 30 days because time hasn't made this issue worse. With that said, I can understand that this would be a pretty monumental task for them to take and I'm okay with getting a 're-certified' replacement. He said the warranty carries over and like I mentioned earlier, I'm happy with how it's gone so I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt here. This is the first issue I've had with an EVGA product but it's certainly not the first I've owned.
yes.

can a mod add all ACX 3.0 SC+FTW cards in the title?
I'll add this to the very top of the first post, thanks!

Yeah the latter part I had a bit of an issue with because this specific issue was sold this way from day one. They really should be treating it as though we bought it within 30 days because time hasn't made this issue worse. With that said, I can understand that this would be a pretty monumental task for them to take and I'm okay with getting a 're-certified' replacement. He said the warranty carries over and like I mentioned earlier, I'm happy with how it's gone so I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt here. This is the first issue I've had with an EVGA product but it's certainly not the first I've owned.

EVGA support is amazing but the idea of owning a refurbished card 3-4 months after launch doesn't sit well for me. they should eat the costs of replacing every card with factory new versions.

nataku

Hmm. Did the memory issue ever get fixed? I'm guessing I'll be giving up my Samsung RAM and getting a card with Micron.

EVGA is easily one of the best brands on the market. This is the first time I can remember something like this happening with them and they are handling it very well.

And they are the only ones that offer a step up feature. I stepped up to a 1080.

On the plus side, EVGA support is fantastic and they're based in the US.

EVGA support are so fantastic they require me to cover the shipping costs to send back my 1080 SC with horrible coil whine. Which from Australia will probably cost at least $60AUS to send to the nearest service centre in Taiwan.

EVGA support are so fantastic they require me to cover the shipping costs to send back my 1080 SC with horrible coil whine. Which from Australia will probably cost at least $60AUS to send to the nearest service centre in Taiwan.

pity they couldn't be more like WD

in saying that no amount of complaining would change there mind ?

Top Bottom