• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070/1060 BIOS Update

Gamer Nexus is becoming one of my favorite go to for PC tech reviews. Great job on those tests.

My pad are on the way, good thing they aren't required to keep running my card safely for now. All the FUD being posted everywhere had me worried.

Vuze

Gamer Nexus is becoming one of my favorite go to for PC tech reviews. Great job on those tests.

My pad are on the way, good thing they aren't required to keep running my card safely for now. All the FUD being posted everywhere had me worried.
Yep yep, unsubbed most of the other prominently clueless "tech" channels once I found them. It's a bit heart breaking to see they still haven't hit 100k though when others are taking their new Lambo or tuned racing car for a spin. Ah well, such is life.

Also good to hear the issue isn't as huge as claimed but still -- the lack of thermal pads was negligent and the damage to the brand as well as the resell value of the cards (that, I'm pretty sure of without looking anything up) was done.

Iced

Installed the pads tonight. Did anyone find there was an extra screw that needed to be removed in order to get the baseplate off (which wasn't detailed in the instructions)? I have a 1070 FTW.

As a consequence of finding this thread, EVGA has agreed to send me a brand new card to replace my June launch 1080 FTW (not a refurb).

If I hadn't happened upon this thread, I wouldn't have ever known that my occasional 100% fan + black screen issue was anything more than poor drivers and would have kept on living with it and the lack of thermal pads.

It's still a refurb, just packaged in a brand new box.

Installed the pads tonight. Did anyone find there was an extra screw that needed to be removed in order to get the baseplate off (which wasn't detailed in the instructions)? I have a 1070 FTW.

Yeah, I think it was like one of the top screws that held the metal back part of the card on. I installed the thermal pads and flashed my bios the other night and was a little stumped for a second when following the instructions since they left out that one screw.

My 1070 FTW definitely runs a little louder now but I was using the aggressive fan curve before so its not a huge difference. Temps are definitely down and with all the thermal pads they give to slap on the memory, I'd hope that'll prevent my card from bursting in flames.

Iced

Yeah, I think it was like one of the top screws that held the metal back part of the card on. I installed the thermal pads and flashed my bios the other night and was a little stumped for a second when following the instructions since they left out that one screw.

My 1070 FTW definitely runs a little louder now but I was using the aggressive fan curve before so its not a huge difference. Temps are definitely down and with all the thermal pads they give to slap on the memory, I'd hope that'll prevent my card from bursting in flames.

See this is what I don't understand: I updated my vbios and noticed absolutely no difference, sound-wise. I've never messed around with custom fan curves, though. Are you still using the custom fan curve, or are you on default now and it still sounds louder than before?

JBwB

So my thermal pads finally came in the mail today....

I attempted to remove the LED connector on my 1080 FTW and I ended up cutting off one of the wires in the process.... FUCK!!!!

Thankfully the LEDs still work but still I'm really bloody pissed off at myself atm.

All this for thermal pads ffs...

nataku

Well, I got my replacement 1070 FTW in. Out of the box it only boosts to 1987 compared to the 2012 of my old card, but I guess it's not that big of a deal. Still disappointing though since none of this was my fault.

Stevey

Well, I got my replacement 1070 FTW in. Out of the box it only boosts to 1987 compared to the 2012 of my old card, but I guess it's not that big of a deal. Still disappointing though since none of this was my fault.

Just overclock it by 50mhz

Widge

Right. Preparing for the advanced RMA. Part of me is internally hating having to "pay" for the card to come first and then get refunded. That is a lot of money.

I'm thinking of jacking this card in when we hit 2070 next year. Move back to MSI.

Right. Preparing for the advanced RMA. Part of me is internally hating having to "pay" for the card to come first and then get refunded. That is a lot of money.

I'm thinking of jacking this card in when we hit 2070 next year. Move back to MSI.

They're making you put up the full amount of the card? I thought there was just a $1 temporary charge to make sure the card you give them is legit and they only charge you the full amount if it's not shipped back in a certain number of days. Can someone who went through this clarify? I'm considering doing the advanced RMA.

Widge

They're making you put up the full amount of the card? I thought there was just a $1 temporary charge to make sure the card you give them is legit and they only charge you the full amount if it's not shipped back in a certain number of days. Can someone who went through this clarify? I'm considering doing the advanced RMA.

Oh, is that the case? I was led to believe you had to do the full whack.

Bar81

Yes, there was one additional screw that needed to be removed.

Phil Fish

Banned
Not related to BIOS updates, but I have a GTX 1060 FTW+ and I am just wondering (I'm running PC to my TV primarily).

Is it better to do DVI to VGA to my TV, or just HDMI? The GTX seems to have both ports. There's DP as well but I don't think I'll ever use that.

vash2695

Not related to BIOS updates, but I have a GTX 1060 FTW+ and I am just wondering (I'm running PC to my TV primarily).

Is it better to do DVI to VGA to my TV, or just HDMI? The GTX seems to have both ports. There's DP as well but I don't think I'll ever use that.

HDMI would be the better option, though VGA can possibly have lower lag, depending on your TV (some TVs will skip processing altogether on VGA and only have the TV act as a monitor). HDMI will give you the best possible PQ. I've found that VGA can also have some discoloration.

MikeSan

For those who did an Advanced RMA, how many times did it takes you to get the new card ?

From the beginning of the RMA to the reception of the replacement card.

Thanks.

For those who did an Advanced RMA, how many times did it takes you to get the new card ?

From the beginning of the RMA to the reception of the replacement card.

Thanks.

I got a new card ( it was in the boxed wrapped up and seal. so I believe it was a new card) on my first Advanced RMA.

Stevey

I got a new card ( it was in the boxed wrapped up and seal. so I believe it was a new card) on my first Advanced RMA.

Are these RMA cards coming direct from EVGA?
If they are, it stands to reason they'd reseal and box them, wether they're new or not.

So I picked up a 1070 SC in the Amazon warehouse sale for around £280, and only now find this thread.

When I bought it, they mentioned large damage to the product on all sides - so I was surprised when it turned up in perfect condition.

In hindsight the reason the previous owner probably returned it is this issue.

I've been running it for a week or two with no problems, and GPU temp doesn't go much over 70 under stress.

Still, should I have cause to be worried? I still need to check the bios version and see if I can order the thermal pads, but considering the price I paid I'm not sure I'll find a comparable alternative.

Bar81

So I picked up a 1070 SC in the Amazon warehouse sale for around £280, and only now find this thread.

When I bought it, they mentioned large damage to the product on all sides - so I was surprised when it turned up in perfect condition.

In hindsight the reason the previous owner probably returned it is this issue.

I've been running it for a week or two with no problems, and GPU temp doesn't go much over 70 under stress.

Still, should I have cause to be worried? I still need to check the bios version and see if I can order the thermal pads, but considering the price I paid I'm not sure I'll find a comparable alternative.

Either RMA it or preferably (if you want to keep it quiet) *don't* apply the BIOS update and request the thermal mod and apply it:

http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

bobeth

Just in case you meant how much time, it took 2 weeks for me, but I requested a new card and it was back when the "recall" was announced, so it might be shorter now.

Either RMA it or preferably (if you want to keep it quiet) *don't* apply the BIOS update and request the thermal mod and apply it:

http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/
Technically this is a second hand card as I bought it via Amazon Warehouse (which is why it was so cheap). So I don't think an RMA would be possible.

I'll see if I can request the thermal mod though, cheers.

I'm not overly fussed about noise as the PC is in a different room attached to the TV via a long HDMI cable, so I might apply the BIOS too. Sounds like it might not be worth it though? Guess it would make it safer still.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Got my artic silver 5 all ready to go, gonna crack this thing open soon. :x

Cool, so every 1070 from them for now is ready to go without those issues. Because I plan to get one in a week or 2.

Correct. Unless you get very unlucky and get a 1070 from a very old shipment.

I bought my 1070 SC from Best Buy on 12/20, am I good to go without the new BIOS and thermal pads? Temps never go above 63C with EVGA Precision fan controller set to auto.

Check your bios version. If it came with 86.04.50.00.72, youre good.

styl3s

Yes. The new bios and the pads are pre-installed now.
How will i know i have the upgraded card? I bought this EVGA 1080 SC
08G-P4-6183-KR_XL_6.jpg

Will i be able to visibly see the pads without having to take it apart? Or was this version safe to begin with?

Corpekata

Banned
So my card just went out in flames.

1080 ftw with the current firmware (but no pad).

Presuming this is related, looking at other images the capacitors are somewhere around that general area, haven't taken the backplate off to look.

Getting an advanced RMA (the 1 dollar one) that people talked about a bit. I would suggest if you have one before the pads were preinstalled to perhaps talk with EVGA about getting them installed.

Arulan

I installed the thermal mod in December, but didn't bother with the firmware as I'm already using an aggressive fan curve. I didn't notice any heat markings when I took it apart.

Pat

Presuming this is related, looking at other images the capacitors are somewhere around that general area, haven't taken the backplate off to look.

Getting an advanced RMA (the 1 dollar one) that people talked about a bit. I would suggest if you have one before the pads were preinstalled to perhaps talk with EVGA about getting them installed.

Well, shit. I will install these thermal pads asap this week. I have a 1070 which I didn't overclock, but this gives me shivers.

I wish I had seen this thread before my 1080 ftw from newegg arrived (and they won't let me return it). Guess I'm ordering thermal pads and hoping the rest of my computer doesn't catch fire.

Timu

OMG dude that sucks!

HooYaH

I wish I had seen this thread before my 1080 ftw from newegg arrived (and they won't let me return it). Guess I'm ordering thermal pads and hoping the rest of my computer doesn't catch fire.

You don't need it. All cards were preinstalled with thermal pads since Nov.

Iced

Do you mind giving us more info? Things like:

- ambient temp in your room
- average temps in your case (if you know any)
- what you were doing when it happened
- if you overclock or not

Very concerning!

Damn thats terrible.

Was the card overclocked beyond factory settings?

Corpekata

Banned
No OC (I was amusingly enough, ABOUT to consider to start OCing it, but I've been playing WoW a lot and it doesnt need it), temps are typically in the low-mid 70s (hrf monitor so card is typically always highly active if game isn't refresh/fps capped). Playing World of Warcraft. Ambient temp in room is high 60s (Arizona).

I didn't have my OSD up at the time of it happening, so can't say the exact temp, but I've never seen it get above 75 around this time of year (and it's the coldest it's been all year lately here).

Stevey

Decided to put the pads on today.
Think it went OK, time will tell I guess.
Everything looked fine inside, was questioning why I was bothering whilst I was doing it :p

213K4sp.jpg

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I see the articlean kit too when doing my mod.
It smells like oranges!

Timu

I went out and bought a EVGA SC 1070...seems to run very cool so far, 27-29C at idle and 53-61C at full load.

Stevey

I went out and bought a EVGA SC 1070...seems to run very cool so far, 27-29C at idle and 53-61C at full load.

Just FYI it's not the temperature of the GPU that was the problem.
But if you only just bought it it will already have the pads and updated BIOS

MoogleMan

Do you mind giving us more info? Things like:

- ambient temp in your room
- average temps in your case (if you know any)
- what you were doing when it happened
- if you overclock or not

Very concerning!

None of that is related to the cards that go up in flames; the problem was a bad batch of caps. Either way, EVGA will take care of him.

Top Bottom