• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVO Japan 2018 Lineup Announced

Shocked there hasn't been a thread on this yet, I felt like it deserved it.

Last night, during EVO 2017's conclusion, a trailer for EVO Japan 2018 was shown off announcing the lineup of games to be present at the event, which includes:

-Tekken 7
-Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
-King of Fighters XIV
-BlazBlue Central Fiction
-Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
-ARMS
-Street Fighter V

Also, the site is up, although still "under construction".

EVO Japan 2018 will take place in Tokyo, Japan from January 26th-28th.

3-0 me in a grand final set if old

Neoxon

Before anyone asks, MvCI, Injustice 2, & Melee are likely absent since they aren't that big competitively over in Japan.

That said, I'm pleasantly surprised to see ARMS in the line-up. It's also nice to see that EVO worked through the legal stuff with Capcom USA to get SFV in.

ARMS is going to be a lot of fun.

Also, if Finals Day is going to be anything like US Evo, expect Finals day to run from 8pm until Noon EST the next day haha.

mcw

Before anyone asks, MvCI, Injustice 2, & Melee are likely absent since they aren't that big competitively over in Japan.

That said, I'm pleasantly surprised to see ARMS in the line-up. It's also nice to see that EVO worked through the legal stuff with Capcom USA to get SFV in.

Legal stuff...?

That said, I'm pleasantly surprised to see ARMS in the line-up. It's also nice to see that EVO worked through the legal stuff to get SFV in.

Yeah, makes sense for the Japanese event to focus on games that are big in Japan.

What legal barriers did SFV have, though? Is Capcom JP not as big on esports as Capcom NA to the point where they'd block it or something like that?

mcw

There was apparently some issue on the legal side of things for SFV, to the point where it wasn't included in one of the tournaments leading up to EVO Japan.

Hmm. That's suprising... I wonder what it was about.

Question for you folks. What do you think it's gonna take for this event to be a success? What does "success" even mean in this case?

Neoxon

Yeah, makes sense for the Japanese event to focus on games that are big in Japan.

What legal barriers did SFV have, though? Is Capcom JP not as big on esports as Capcom NA to the point where they'd block it or something like that?
To my knowledge, Capcom USA owns the Street Fighter IP, so it was likely something else. Regardless, whatever the problem was has since been solved.

Is this next years EVO or will there be 2?
There's this & the usual EVO in Las Vegas, so there's 2 of them.

Gren

Probably has something to do with Capcom USA actually owning SF, meaning negotiations couldn't just involve Cap JPN.

Ridley327

Street Fighter has an... unusual rights ownership issue, to say the least.

Ōkami

Of course Injustice wouldn't be there, it hasn't even come out in Japan.

KOFXIV inclusion is, however, weird, that game doesn't have that big of a scene.

Question for you folks. What do you think it's gonna take for this event to be a success? What does "success" even mean in this case?

Solid turnout, lots of views, etc. It will be interesting to see how the international turnout for EVO Japan will compare to Las Vegas.

Ōkami;243749163 said:
KOFXIV inclusion is, however, weird, that game doesn't have that big of a scene.
KoF has always been pretty big in China and other Asian countries aside from just Japan, so having KoFXIV in makes sense.

Hmm. That's suprising... I wonder what it was about.

Great local turnout, decent international turnout, a good experience for those attending.

Streaming will probably be looked at, but considering it's in all-nighter territory for most of the states, and will start in the middle of the night for a lot of Europe, I don't think they'll expect the same numbers as Evo usually gets.

Xbro

Japan plays Smash 4?

I think I like Evo Japan's lineup way more than Evo 2017's.

There are major Japanese Smash 4 events, and quite a few japanese players in the top 50(2 of them in the top 10)

Also a japanese player was in Evo 2016 Grand Finals

Alchemy

Fuck ARMS lol that is going to be such boring shit to watch. I gave that game as much benefit as I could but I just can't stand how slow it is.

NotLiquid

ARMS is a pleasant surprise and should be good. The tournament at 2GGC the other week was dope.

Japan plays Smash 4?

478 people entered Umebura Japan Major two months ago and 16 out of the 50 best Smash 4 players (ranked per PGRv3) are Japanese.

SalvaPot

The big omission is actually Pokkén Deluxe, it has a good scene and a new version coming out.

Excited for top level ARMS play.

chrono01

Great stuff, will watch.

Well, I'll try to. Not sure how I'll manage with the time difference, I expect some very late nights/early mornings. >_<

Melee is probably not a big thing there. Nice.

Even though I think Melee is best Smash, it gets old seeing the same group of people get to the finals and win every year.

Ōkami

New Gundam Versus has been blasted by fans in Japan, game is going to dead by the time of the event.

If Bamco had an issue then Tekken wouldn't be there.

LordKano

It's missing Gundam VS, Dissidia, or a ton of other wacky fighting games that would have much more hype than just a duplicate of USA EVO.

JusDoIt

One of the best megamans is from japan

There are major Japanese Smash 4 events, and quite a few japanese players in the top 50(2 of them in the top 10)

Also a japanese player was in Evo 2016 Grand Finals

A bunch of top players are from there. One even was top 8 this weekend.

478 people entered Umebura Japan Major two months ago and 16 out of the 50 best Smash 4 players (ranked per PGRv3) are Japanese.

Shows how much I know about Smash.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
No MVCi has me like wtf.

I've been to Japan they def have a Marvel scene. I don't know why the would not add it to the lineup? I guess waiting on game to come out before the announce it. Who knows.

3rd Strike would have been nice to see in the lineup but the issue is would the players have agreed to play on ANY of the console ports which are still to this day not arcade perfect.

DrDogg

Wonder if this will be streamed primarily on Nico Nico. I'm sure there will be a Twitch stream, but being a Japanese tournament I imagine Nico Nico would be the primary streaming platform.

Top Bottom