• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVO Japan 2018 Lineup Announced

Ōkami;243750432 said:
New Gundam Versus has been blasted by fans in Japan, game is going to dead by the time of the event.

If Bamco had an issue then Tekken wouldn't be there.

Is the lack of local multiplayer a reason why Gundam VS is getting negative feedback?

Is the lack of local multiplayer a reason why Gundam VS is getting negative feedback?
Eh, that's like a super small % of players wanting that. The game is still technically competing with its arcade only predecessor, EXVS Maxi Boost ON. From the Amazon.jp reveiws there's complaints about the roster, too few stages, general "game sucks," etc. Mechanically, I think GVS is better than the EXVS series and they've made some neat balance and quality of life changes across the board, but there are some weird omissions that don't make it completely stack up to console Full Boost in terms of content out the box.

Eh, that's like a super small % of players wanting that. The game is still technically competing with its arcade only predecessor, EXVS Maxi Boost ON. From the Amazon.jp reveiws there's complaints about the roster, too few stages, general "game sucks," etc. Mechanically, I think GVS is better than the EXVS series and they've made some neat balance and quality of life changes across the board, but there are some weird omissions that don't make it completely stack up to console Full Boost in terms of content out the box.

Well, damn. I honestly know nothing of the game, but I began to look at videos of it once I heard more people talking about it. That sucks.

Xbro

Nice lineup aside from smash.

giphy.gif

Hyun Sai

No Third Strike. At last, Japanese organisers recognize SFV is the better game, and not some garbage riding on Evo moment XXX

I am already out

Shin

Banned
Might see a lot more CN, KR players (assuming it's open to everyone?).
Would be nice to see local talents have a go at it but couldn't attend EVO in the US.

Kalamari

Maybe Gundam would be too popular, maybe they weren't able to find a venue that would be suitable for all the spectators that would attend.

I'll be there! Hopefully the event is good as a whole.

But yeah no Gundam sucks, at the same time the newest game has not really shown itself to be a massive competitive title yet either. While I personally really like the game for what it is out of the box, I would say its kinda like Street Fighter 5's first few months at the moment. But everything working.

There is just a lot... "missing" from the game in it's current state. I think they have struck gold with the game play.

At the same time, just cause it's Japan, does not mean Gundam Vs. would be a lock, despite how serious some people take the game I think there would need to be a push by Bamco as well to get this series some real spotlight.

I hope this doesn't deter Japanese players from coming to regular Evo now that they have their own.

Wonder what attendance numbers and CPT weight will be for this though. Since it's only a month after Capcom Cup, I guess it's possible it might not be part of CPT at all? Feels weird to say about a tournament with "Evo" in its name lol.

Vice

I hope this doesn't deter Japanese players from coming to regular Evo now that they have their own.

Wonder what attendance numbers and CPT weight will be for this though. Since it's only a month after Capcom Cup, I guess it's possible it might not be part of CPT at all? Feels weird to say about a tournament with "Evo" in its name lol.
It won't deter the players from coming. The highest level players that are able to afford to travel will come and many enjoy the atmosphere of playing international players and being in America.

Evo Japan will likely end up being what Evo is to America. The biggest major in the region that draws in tons of people who couldn't' afford a trip halfway around the world but a sub-$1,000 weekend trip is doable for them.

Neoxon

Doesn't the CPT typically start in March?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Jiyuna doesn't think it will be that big. I think it will the biggest Japanese tourney ever but that doesn't say much.

For how much shitty the newest gundam vs is received by jp fans. It is not a crime at all lol.

It most likely was not out by time they decided the games. It's only been two weeks since its release with no idea how the community would take to it or how it will unfold 6 months down the line. It also does not help that it seems like only Namco Bandai has a "competition" build of the game made for spectating and LAN play. -shrug- but once again, while the gundam vs. series is popular I never got the feel that anyone takes it serious nor have I seen any real attempts at making events for it or featuring it as a main title. The only ones ive seen are promotion events by Namco Bandai themselves and online meetups. Seems like a popular game that simply does not have serious competitive inclinations to it which I would rather not see forced.

I'm going to be interested to see how the numbers shake out across the board and how the event is in general. There is no major holiday that weekend or following week hence the two days, but it will be interesting to see if people take that time off or just can't. That is Japanese residents. I already know im gonna take that Friday and Monday off.

The KOF scene is mostly in Asia.

Yeah, but I still don't think it's that big. KOF has never really taken off in Japan (according to Nemo since mid 2000s), and China prefers to stick to the older KOFs. Xiaohai has mentioned that part in the past. I'm bummed VF isn't going to be there as I feel like it could pull in some good numbers as they have proven it multiple times in the past. I saw on twitter that Japanese Melee players were sad, but VF players have more reason to be sad considering they have been able to pull 400-600 man tournaments.

Another thing to take into account is team format. Those tournaments tend to bring in more players as there are a lot of Japanese players who view team tournaments as more inviting and more casual friendly. The 1v1 tournaments are seen as more for the better players so a lot of lower skilled players tend to shy away from them. Think back to the biggest tournaments in Japan. For SF, the biggest tournaments are Topanga Charity Cup, a team tournament. For 3S, its biggest tournament is Cooperation Cup, another team tournament. For Tekken, Master Cup gets the biggest numbers, which is another team tournament.

I know it's not in the spirit of traditional EVO, but it's something to consider. You might upset foreign players going to Japan, but I think the average player in Japan would prefer it that way. I feel like stats prove that. I'm a bit disappointed Evo Japan doesn't have another game that would have no chance at regular EVO. So maybe a team format would make the tournament feel more Japanese.

Another thing to take into account is team format. Those tournaments tend to bring in more players as there are a lot of Japanese players who view team tournaments as more inviting and more casual friendly. The 1v1 tournaments are seen as more for the better players so a lot of lower skilled players tend to shy away from them. Think back to the biggest tournaments in Japan. For SF, the biggest tournaments are Topanga Charity Cup, a team tournament. For 3S, its biggest tournament is Cooperation Cup, another team tournament. For Tekken, Master Cup gets the biggest numbers, which is another team tournament.

I know it's not in the spirit of traditional EVO, but it's something to consider. You might upset foreign players going to Japan, but I think the average player in Japan would prefer it that way. I feel like stats prove that.

Good points. However, I think the international appeal of the tournament will up the entry numbers to offset some of the local competitive players' absence. I guess we'll have to wait and see once the site goes live and people are allowed to sign up.

Good points. However, I think the international appeal of the tournament will up the entry numbers to offset some of the local competitive players' absence. I guess we'll have to wait and see once the site goes live and people are allowed to sign up.

Thus far, there is a huge difference in entry numbers between team tournaments and 1v1 tournaments. The Topanga Charity Cup is able to get 1100+ players with hardly any foreign players. I don't know if SF in Japan has pulled 500 players in a 1v1 setting in this modern era. That's too big of a difference to make up. I still remember numbers for Japanese CPT events, Topanga 1v1 events, KVO, and other tournaments. The numbers don't come close.

Any Tekken heads have numbers comparing Master Cup to 1v1 tournaments?

Top Bottom