• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution of the woke BBC

Mar 28, 2017
Sheffield, UK
mixer.com
The ABC in Australia is equally terrible. At least one of their headlining stories each day will be some woke bullshit. Last week I kept getting news notifications from them about toxic male trolls and some sportswoman id never heard of. All week, like it was some huge news story.
Out of curiosity. Do you also have to pay for a "license" to watch TV or any ABC produced content?

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
You only have to look at BBC Three to see how low the BBC is willing to go in its quest to appeal to Britain's liberal youth. The programme line up is full of the kind of brain-dead trash that used to be the preserve of non-BBC channels.

Greedings

May 23, 2016
Have a read through page one of the thread. I had one visit (which the guy said was an error on their part) and that's it.
I also lived without a licence for about 5 years thanks to Netflix and other internet tv. Never once had a visit.
I didn’t miss the BBC, I REALLY didn’t miss ITV, but occasionally I wanted to watch something on 4.

Feb 15, 2013
London
The BBC went completely down the shitter some time ago. I cancelled my TV license last year and haven't availed of any of their crap since.
I am close to doing this as the news is totally not impartial too as seems sometimes a mouthpiece of the nasty Tory government.

But cancelling means I would miss Wimbledon and some of the footy/highlights.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2013
London
OK let's name news sources of higher quality and credibility than BBC other than Reuters, AP, and the economist. Let's hear it gaf.
You're doing it wrong. There isn't one source that is generally impartial. You have access to multiple other sources like the internet to gain a broad sense of things. Look at the way the BBC reports on Russia or Julian Assange for example. Fucking one-sided like they think you're thick.

'Russia is a great evil' and 'Assange is a threat to national security' yet it's not so ridiculously black and white as that.

Last edited:

Nicktendo_

Oct 30, 2018
Latvia
www.n-europe.com
I was always a big fan of the BBC and a big proponent of the license fee. That was until I moved to Russia in 2014. Living here completely opened my eyes to how awful the BBC really is and how it is steeped head-to-toe in propaganda.

I work in the center of St. Petersburg and I distinctly remember the day the rouble collapsed. It was the middle of December 2014, probably the 17th when it peaked, and the BBC were reporting from outside my work where there is a currency exchange bureau. The guy was saying that all day people had been "overcome by panic and fear", they were "lining up to buy dollars and euros" and that the queue was stretching "as far as the eye can see". It was complete nonsense. There were no queues and no panic, bar a couple of colleagues who were going home for Christmas. The vast majority of people were blissfully unaware of the situation. So why do this? It's all part of the greater narrative.

Since Crimea the propaganda started flowing thick and fast, every single day for the next two plus years there was at least one negative story dedicated to Russia. Some of it completely valid, the majority reaching at best, a number completely untrue and unfounded, like my example. This kind of onslaught, while some could argue was justified given Russia's actions from a Western point of view, merely served to turn the population against Russia. When you consider the actions of other states and the plight of "ordinary people" in the Middle East and China, for example, it leaves you questioning what the real motives of the BBC are. If we take the world as whole, there is no way Russia poses the global threat to the Western way of life that the BBC builds it up to be, especially in comparison to China.

My only conclusion from this was to assume the BBC is inherently racist. Russia, especially the Western part, is a majority white country. Despite this, most don't act and think like Westerners. Therefore the BBC has taken it upon themselves to label an entire nation as brainwashed, evil and under the control of a despot leader and 100% in need of either our help or hate. When you look at a typical Russian, you expect him to think and act like you, to be tolerant of Western values, to believe in the things the West believes. Outside of the two main cities, this is simply not true, especially for the more religiously orientated in Russian society. The Chinese, however, do not look like us, therefore it's OK if they don't act like us, and because they (currently) make everything for us and we have billions of dollars worth of trade with them, it's better to remain quiet about the less palatable parts of their culture and political system.

In 2015 or '16 I believe, the BBC commissioned and aired a 1-hour documentary about a hypothetical Russian hybrid-warfare takeover of Eastern Latvia (an area in which I have briefly lived and did research for my thesis). To anybody who knows anything about Russia, and Latvia for that matter, this was beyond farcical. The situation in Daugavpils (in the EU) and Crimea (A strategic naval position, populated almost entirely by ethnic Russians, which had been routinely neglected for going on 25 years by Kyiv) could not be further apart. It was an affront to common sense and served no basis whatsoever in reality, other than to push their anti-Russian agenda.

This post is not me posting any personal approval or distaste for any system or form of politics, country or government, merely an observation that the BBC is unbelievably biased, and absolutely not impartial. If they are willing to go to such lengths to discredit an entire nation, what else are they prepared to do to shape the narrative? As a supposedly impartial arm of the UK state, the BBC is failing it's citizens when it comes to reporting on global issues, of course, the British perspective is important, maybe even British agenda, but when it's so blatantly false, it makes one question whether the service as a whole is truly necessary in 2019.

I still read the BBC from time-to-time, but always with a larger pinch of salt. It's those who haven't had the opportunities I've had that I feel sorry for. Those that go to bed worrying about stuff that they feel is beyond their control because the read or saw it on the BBC. Living in Russia, and being a Russian history Master, I am better versed than your average Joe in Russian politics and contemporary Russia culture. I am not a Russia apologist by any stretch of the imagination, but I can only sigh when I see yet another BBC article written by some faceless pillock who's only goal is to spread fear and hate towards a nation that, on the whole, wants the same things we want, peace and prosperity.

In addition, the transformation of the BBC over the past few years (as noted in the OP) is something that certainly hasn't slipped by me. The number of Buzzfeed style articles and "culture" guff is nothing more than agenda pushing. I've certainly noticed in the past few months a huge increase in the number of articles dedicated to "trans people" and other stories which have no inherent relevance or impact other than to change the way people think. Now, I absolutely have no issues or distaste to any person and how they choose to live their life, but seeing this stuff pop up every day is just another nail in the coffin of the BBC's "inform, educate and entertain" raison d'être. I don't believe the BBC has a particularly left or right wing bias, but do I think it's completely failing in it's ability to serve the people that pay for it.

Barnabot

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2018
is this an example of being woke?

Good Morning Britain was part of BBC and now it's ITV, right?

llien

Feb 1, 2017
It was complete nonsense. There were no queues and no panic
Yeah, people were simply buying TV's they didn't need, no big deal.

Since Crimea the propaganda started flowing thick and fast, every single day for the next two plus years there was at least one negative story dedicated to Russia
Would you mind linking today's negative story dedicated to Russia?

Europe sucks the more and more I hear about it
The point is financing public broadcaster so that it doesn't depend on state budget and hence can't be influenced by politicians (in that way at least).
Works pretty well in UK, I am not convinced about Germany though.

Last edited:

Doc Honk

Oct 21, 2014
I don't get the apostrophe in "husband's murder". How does that work? He owned the murder? The murder was his? So it was suicide then?

Why not:

murdering husband
murders husband
murder of husband

Last edited:

llien

Feb 1, 2017
Really love the use of “could be” in this headline. Only facts.
Headline cites "could be totally controlled" and I don't see the problem here. (besides wondering earlier what makes AfD love Putin so much)

Is any of this false:
Mr Frohnmaier has frequently spoken out against EU sanctions on Russia, and made trips to Crimea, the Ukrainian territory annexed by Russia in 2014, as well as parts of eastern Ukraine controlled by pro-Russian separatists.

Looks like a legit article, that allows all sides, including the accused, to speak.

ROMhack

Jul 14, 2018
I'm not against the woke stuff (not particular for it either) but I've noticed that most of the time their homepage is Brexit + stuff that's not really news (e.g. lifestyle).

Last edited:

Jmarshall

Mar 28, 2018
is this an example of being woke?

Good Morning Britain was part of BBC and now it's ITV, right?
ITV is a separate and mostly privately funded channel, it's the main competition for the BBC.

BBC News is actually it's most successful aspect, BBC Radio 4 remains an vital resource despite its tendency to put out shitty comedian panel shows with right on left comedians. As a news resource it's pretty good, yes it has a bias towards the centre middle class, but that's a factor of its editorial staff, which it's actually quite sensitive about. The TV channels are terrible though and BBC 4 has fallen apart in the last year, thinking subtitled sub par Scandinavian thrillers count as "high brow".

CatLady

Jun 12, 2018
It is essentially Buzzfeed with a sports section. I know of two people who have had their tweets featured in supposedly serious articles. Like 'Amy said x on twitter'. I know 'Amy' and she got 2 likes and 3 retweets. How is that relevant to a national news story?

If you want a laugh then take a gander at our publicly funded BBC News Pidgin - https://www.bbc.com/pidgin
Wasn't Godfrey Elfwick quoted by BBC? It might have been the Guardian.

Jan 9, 2018
Doctor Who has fallen into the pit with it, incidentally. It had a decent run in the Tennant / Matt Smith era then has nosedived since, with trend-chasing and wokeness being key problems.

ROMhack

Jul 14, 2018
I'm not against the woke stuff (not particular for it either) but I've noticed that most of the time their homepage is Brexit + stuff that's not really news (e.g. lifestyle).
This is what I mean:

Dec 15, 2011
Image captured from the footer of BBC.CO.UK's front-page on Mother's day earlier this year:

Today June 16th 2019, Father's Day:

(BBC are not alone. Last checked there was not trending promotion on Twitter and Google's homepage acknowledges parents instead of fathers.)

Keep up the good work woke, media.

jonnyp

Jan 12, 2008
The BBC went completely down the shitter some time ago. I cancelled my TV license last year and haven't availed of any of their crap since.

Just you wait. Your Government will just tax you the money for the license directly when enough people cancel their licenses, like has happened in Norway. Even if you don't own a TV you will have to pay for the State's leftist propaganda woke machine....

• Thoughtful
Reactions: matt404au

Gashtronomy

Banned
Apr 19, 2019
The BBC used to be all about the facts. The news was presented by an old dude, in a suit, speaking the queens English (with the exception of Hugh Edwards).

Now it's a complete shit show. I don't care what some random bint on twitter says, your poorly worded articles or your fluff pieces about nothing. Not to mention how bias the BBC has been in regards to Brexit, Trump, Liberalism, the Tories etc.

As for the TV license. I haven't paid for mine in 5 years. In one address, I would receive a visit every 6 months and letters every month threatening me with court. They aren't legally allowed on your property and the company that visit you are a 3rd party company (the BBC shouldn't be legally giving your details to them as you never agreed to it under GPDR).

If all else fails just watch as much TV as you would like. It is a complete LIE and fabrication that the BBC can detect what you're watching. that isn't how an antenna works.

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
Dumbed down BS aimed at Britain's youth:

What is a person supposed to gain from a show like this?

This is like something you'd expect to see on E4:

This is the sort of trash that licence payers are helping to fund.

Last edited:

accel

Sep 11, 2015
I once listened to an interview with Piers Morgan - a guy whose opinion I am willing to listen to (even though I disagree in many places) - and he offered that yes, most of the media went to shit, but BBC in particular tries to stay mostly unbiased and mostly about news and is somewhat successful at that. I rolled my eyes at the time, but listened nonetheless, and decided to follow BBC for the next month or so because hey, maybe I have written them off too hastily. The experiment didn't turn out well and, in my view, during it BBC failed to be unbiased and mostly about news many, many times. So, I tried, I honestly tried. And it didn't work. Sadly.

DV27

Jun 14, 2010
The BBC site has gradually over a number of years turned into an absolute low quality drek-fest.

I think it's more down to shifting budget to produce programs to sell to Netflix etc and having to hire cheap woke students as reporters vs what they had before with more experienced, seasoned news reporters.

Reactions: Greedings

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
BBC Three (the BBC's attempt to appeal to Britain's youth population) shows how low it's prepared to go:

Plastic Surgery Undressed? My Mate's a Bad Date?
It's just more brain dead bs.

Facism

Apr 10, 2007
I'd get more utility wiping my arse with the money than giving it to the BBC. Fuck off down the well for all I care.

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Reading https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0da51658-3ba8-11ea-9bc3-b4804128329e I just found out something interesting. Some of you may have heard of Geoff Norcott. He's a comedian on the right, I'd say centre-right, but right enough to get a tonne of abuse from the left. He put a documentary out "How the Middle Class Ruined Britain" which was pretty decent and he's a rare leave-voting working class voice that gets aired among all the wokeness. Anyway, it seems he's ended up being one of the BBC's 5 external members of its diversity and inclusion advisory group. Given his fight for conservative voices to be heard that can only be a good thing. It ties in with my belief that the tide is turning.

Greedings

May 23, 2016
The BBC site has gradually over a number of years turned into an absolute low quality drek-fest.

I think it's more down to shifting budget to produce programs to sell to Netflix etc and having to hire cheap woke students as reporters vs what they had before with more experienced, seasoned news reporters.
The website is the most egregious. I listen to the BBC news at 6 podcast, and it's basically just news. Still some identity politics bullshit (white oscars for example), but mostly fine. The website on the other hand is just fucking awful.