• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution Studios, Guerrilla Cambridge & SCE London Studio hit by layoffs

VLiberty

135205286220.gif

Raytow

1. New generation
2. Studios with lackluster output (last years / gen) getting a "reboot"
See SCE Japan Studio.

We had this discussion in every "layoff" thread in the past. Somehow, we have to repeat this every time.
Concern trolls, drama queens, etc.

KORNdoggy

Since Driveclub isn't affected... i can see Sony closing Evolution after game releases.

i think they might drop them down to a smaller scale digital developer. motostorm RC very well recieved and sold really well. i think it's the only reason they're still around now. after apocolypse they where knocking on deaths door...so to speak.

Alienous

Neil Druckmann is on the rampage.

He must have clout.

Sony Exec: Ok, Neil, you can have Uncharted 4. Team 2 will continue work on a Jak reboot, seeing as you won't make TLOU 2, and are unwilling to make a new IP.

Mr. Druckmann: Right, I want more money.

Sony Exec: But Neil, we already gave you all of Amy's salary, how much money does one guy need?

Mr. Druckmann: As much as I want. I'm Neil Druckmann.

Sony Exec: Neil, please, those people have families...

Mr. Druckmann: Yeah, and I have a 95 on metacritic. You have until Monday.

He must be stopped.

mclem

can't speak for all studios but if a project isn't looking good, it's not looking good right? why waste more time making it. SMS just went thru this and the same is happening here.

That being said... there are plenty of projects still going on.

If this is about DriveClub... don't you regard that as a bit of a bait-and-switch? We've gone from "You'll get (some reduced version of) this game free with Playstation Plus at launch!" - a reason to purchase a launch console - to now some nebulous idea that something might be appearing in the future on some unknown terms.

Marcel

They have 2 current gen consoles. One's doing well and the other? Mmmm let's keep that quiet shall we?

Nintendo have 1 doing well and one poorly and they are in severe dire straits while everything's apparently rosy in Sony's garden.

Dire straits? Nintendo has more money in their war chest from last generation than the other guys.

Let's not pretend that one flopped console means Nintendo is doomed.

Alista

They've not announced the closure of a studio or the canning of a project. A lot of the time these things happen simply comes down to looking at if they've got the right structure in place in order to deliver what they need while keeping their profit margins up.

Restructuring like this allows you to look at where your overheads are, target the positions that aren't actually necessary given your current projects and company direction and take action to remedy it. A lot of the time your business grows but at the same time changes which makes some positions ultimately unnecessary.

Revenue is all good and well, but if you're not making money, you need to sort that out as well. Restructures are a good way of giving your profit margin a slight boost but also a way of making your team more productive as a result. While its unfortunate for those facing redundancy, these decisions are hard for everyone involved but they are required as without them, we would very likely lose these studios entirely.

Restructures often lead to job creation as well. As an example, you may lose 2 of 4 producers on a project, but with their salary, you could 4 developers who bring in different skill sets that cross multiple projects and still be saving money.

Moobabe

If this is about DriveClub... don't you regard that as a bit of a bait-and-switch? We've gone from "You'll get (some reduced version of) this game free with Playstation Plus at launch!" - a reason to purchase a launch console - to now some nebulous idea that something might be appearing in the future on some unknown terms.

What happens if that 'reduced version of' the game was utter dogshit though?

Hydrargyrus

Sony should put the Guerrilla Cambridge directors leading Guerrilla Games...

I don't know why is Sony wasting so much money with GG and ICO Team getting games like Sadow Fall and... nothing from both, while is cutting off employees from a team that has made the best Killzone except for KZ2

Console selling like hot cakes, therefore third parties are clambering to make games on your system, therefore no need for expensive first party studios with risky projects.

There could actually be some truth to this. At least we know that the industry is embracing indie games since end of last gen. AAA development is slowly dying but for the most successful teams.

Carl

It makes me wonder how things would've looked if GAF was this big and the media was as broad as it is now back in early PS3 days.

Naughty Dog's 'reboot' as a studio nearly killed them as they transitioned from Jak to Uncharted, with people leaving every week.

Sony killed Naughty Dog man :(

Darius

Banned
Too bad. I hope they get a new occupation.

While it looked bad for inhouse PSV games production for quite some time, the further lay-offs in several Sony studios indicates that it´s very unlikely that PSVs situation on the matter will get any better.

i think they might drop them down to a smaller scale digital developer. motostorm RC very well recieved and sold really well. i think it's the only reason they're still around now. after apocolypse they where knocking on deaths door...so to speak.

Eh, Sony hasn't done the most drastic thing possible to Evolution yet.

Turn it into a GT-spinoff farm.

Not really surprising. Axe fell hard on SCEA just a few weeks ago, now it's SCEE turn. SCEJ will be a bloodbath in a month or two.

EDIT:

Oh apparently they had it already?

There is no "Team ICO" anymore. There is no "Team Siren" anymore.
It's SCE Japan Studio, with a new boss, no structure, new plans.
They had a complete reboot. Long before SSM, Evo Studios, SCEE London, or Cambridge.

It simply makes sense. It started with SCE Japan, and others are following now, which weren't successful enough.

How did that fly under, at least my, radar completely.

Bundy

Banned
It makes me wonder how things would've looked if GAF was this big and the media was as broad as it is now back in early PS3 days.

Naughty Dog's 'reboot' as a studio nearly killed them as they transitioned from Jak to Uncharted, with people leaving every week.

Yep!
And "The Getaway" + "8 Days" got canceled.
"LA Noir" went from Sony to Take2. "Rememeber Me" went from Sony to Capcom.
A spy game got canceled at SCEE (some artworks can be found), etc.

The list goes on and on.
But somehow, this is something totally new now ;)

mclem

That is, assuming the next R&C game doesn't have a different title.

I mean, for all we know it could be 'Defenders Of The Galaxy: Ratchet & Clank'

I can't think of a silly innuendo title, sadly.

Something about black holes could probably do the trick.

Either way, I'd find it hard to believe that at this stage in development, the game wouldn't be referred to as - internally - "Ratchet & Clank PS4". That might not be the released title, but it'd probably be the title that appears on such a list at this stage.

PranooY

I wonder how long they will last. Tearaway was a big flop on Vita and there must be some pressure to be cost effective. Wouldn't be surprised if the core leave to form their own studio effectively shutting the studio down. They could probably be very succesful as a multiplat developer.

I really don't understand laying off Evolution staff. You'd think it would be all hands on deck to get DriveClub out the door.

I don't think you can call Tearaway a big flop, considering only 10-15 people have worked on it and tearaway is made with the aim to sell the vitas.

And about Evolution lay offs, the people laid off doesn't seemed to be involved with Driveclub.

Marcel

They've not announced the closure of a studio or the canning of a project. A lot of the time these things happen simply comes down to looking at if they've got the right structure in place in order to deliver what they need while keeping their profit margins up.

Restructuring like this allows you to look at where your overheads are, target the positions that aren't actually necessary given your current projects and company direction and take action to remedy it. A lot of the time your business grows but at the same time changes which makes some positions ultimately unnecessary.

Revenue is all good and well, but if you're not making money, you need to sort that out as well. Restructures are a good way of giving your profit margin a slight boost but also a way of making your team more productive as a result. While its unfortunate for those facing redundancy, ultimately these decisions are hard for everyone involved but they are required as without them, we would very likely lose these studios entirely.

Restructures often lead to job creation as well. As an example, you may lose 2 of 4 producers on a project, but with their salary, you could 4 developers who bring in different skill sets that cross multiple projects and still be saving money.

Restructures, people leaving, revolving door hires etc. are good for revenue but are usually bad for the actual creative end of their work. It doesn't exactly make for a good atmosphere when the Sword of Damocles has already been swung and yet still hangs overhead.

Corto

The price of "winning". Brutal. All the luck for the affected. Hope they can land on their feet. Evolution Studios being hit with lay offs is the most absurd of these.

mclem

What happens if that 'reduced version of' the game was utter dogshit though?

Well, yes. I'm not going to claim it was the wrong decision, as such; just that if I were in the position to make such decisions, I'd feel a bit uncomfortable about touting something as a selling point at one stage, allowing it to have an effect on preorders, and then switching it out. It's promising more than you're delivering. Much like Dark Souls 2 and Watch Dogs, actually, albeit in a somewhat different form.

I get why it happens, and I'm not going to condemn people for having to make that tough decision (in all three cases!), but that doesn't mean I'm comfortable with the fact that it does.

To me it appears Sony is taking the MS route from last gen. Fewer first party games and just relying on the best multiplatform games. Sony thinks will boost profits.

Yep!
And "The Getaway" + "8 Days" got canceled.
"LA Noir" went from Sony to Take2. "Rememeber Me" went from Sony to Capcom.
A spy game got canceled at SCEE (some artworks can be found), etc.

The list goes on and on.
But somehow, this is something totally new now ;)

Neither LA Noir or Remember Me were 1st party games so their fate isn't the same as 2 SCEE projects being cancelled. We still got those games. Lots of people lamented the cancellation of The Getaway and 8 Days.

Bundy

Banned
DerZuhälter;105694826 said:
Not really surprising. Axe fell hard on SCEA just a few weeks ago, now it's SCEE turn. SCEJ will be a bloodbath in a month or two.

EDIT:

Oh apparently they had it already?

How did that fly under, at least my, radar completely.
Nice edit.
They already had a studio reboot.
Neither LA Noir or Remember Me were 1st party games so their fate isn't the same as 2 SCEE projects being cancelled. We still got those games. Lots of people lamented the cancellation of The Getaway and 8 Days.
We were talking about canceled Sony games.
This was a Sony game. Developed by an indy studio,
but it still nearly got canceled.

I wish we were in such a state of human mind, that these people at these studios would simply be rearranged for the most part.

Got 20 people over what you need for a project? Are they hacks? No? Then build a small team around them to make small games with very high returns. Look, an extra revenue source...

Moobabe

Well, yes. I'm not going to claim it was the wrong decision, as such; just that if I were in the position to make such decisions, I'd feel a bit uncomfortable about touting something as a selling point at one stage, allowing it to have an effect on preorders, and then switching it out. It's promising more than you're delivering. Much like Dark Souls 2 and Watch Dogs, actually, albeit in a somewhat different form.

I get why it happens, and I'm not going to condemn people for having to make that tough decision (in all three cases!), but that doesn't mean I'm comfortable with the fact that it does.

Yeah I agree - I was pretty excited for DC as a PS+ launch title. That said, we could get something great because of the delay, and I'd be more than happy with that. I still have a bunch of stuff on my PS4 I haven't even finished yet...

Hoje0308

Banned
And with that morale of the gaming industry takes once again another hit.

I see this as a good thing. Studios have been spending huge sums of money and then hoping they'll sell millions of copies just to break even. That can't continue much longer without a crash, so maybe this will set an example for others.

"The development of DriveClub "will not be affected" by today's layoffs at Evolution Studios, SCEE has confirmed to VideoGamer.com."

Given the constant delays and now "going back to the drawing board", I don't know if this is true.

iceatcs

Too bad for anyone lost the job. Look like Sony got something up. Buy multi-indie studios like PS2 era?

Hmmmm... Doesn't seem like any of their studios are safe... They probably will not touch Naughty Dog though.

Depends entirely on the quality of their current productions/pre-productions as well as how lean they are in terms of every other part of the team.
If some management can be cut without having a huge diminishing effect on the team Sony could very well swing the hammer.

If a project isn't hitting milestones and isn't looking promising after giving it plenty of time to retool it could get the axe, as seen with SSM.

Marcel

I see this as a good thing. Studios have been spending huge sums of money and then hoping they'll sell millions of copies just to break even. That can't continue much longer without a crash, so maybe this will set an example for others.

It'll be a "good thing" for consumers eventually as this will separate the wheat from the chaff. Less diluted development environments could mean a tighter, leaner product across the board. Maybe it won't mean anything in the end. No way to know for sure since the layoffs are fresh.

The unfortunate thing is that human beings are at the center of this. Hopefully they can find jobs again soon.

Coolwhip

Banned
I wish we were in such a state of human mind, that these people at these studios would simply be rearranged for the most part.

Got 20 people over what you need for a project? Are they hacks? No? Then build a small team around them to make small games with very high returns. Look, an extra revenue source...

I guess there is no room for small teams anymore.

Famassu

To me it appears Sony is taking the MS route from last gen. Fewer first party games and just relying on the best multiplatform games. Sony thinks will boost profits.
They had "over 30 games" in production last they talked about it. They cancelled one game at SSM recently and now 2-3 from SCEE. They could still have "over 30" games in production or at the very least almost 30. That's still a lot of games, nothing like what MS did last gen. There was probably just some redundancy with their own games.

bombshell

What's interesting is, that this list is seemingly alphabetically ordered. So Crash Bandicoot is possible (hell, a lot in the A-D range is possible), Jak & Daxter is impossible. Also, probably more interesting: Ratchet & Clank and Resistance are ruled out, too.

Isn't the list first party? Insomniac is not first party.

Two unannounced games after 'U', could one of them be Wipeout?!?! Please...

Top Bottom