• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution Studios is hiring - #Resumeclub

So DriveClub didnt sell so hot?

I will do my part next year and buy this game when I pick up my PS4. They have made it such an attractive game after all those updates, the game looks fucking insane with the dynamic weather patch. It´s by far the best looking game out on consoles right now.

Not at USA Physical Retail.

Maybe if we include a TON of digital sales into the equation + Europe....I don't know...but if we're just looking at USA Physical retail...yeah.

SRTtoZ

So the coders fleed after the disastrous start?

Kidding. Awesome news though. Gonna pick up this game tomorrow with a few others.

Occam

I think DriveClub will continue to sell, especially in Europe where driving games are more popular than in America. It's too early to call it a failure; we don't even have any global sales data.

marcincz

I think DriveClub will continue to sell, especially in Europe where driving games are more popular than in America. It's too early to call it a failure; we don't even have any global sales data.

Global sales is probably around 900k. I think after Christmas they'll reach over 1 mln sold. From last patch game is gorgeous, especially weather effects and stability connection.

If they hired new programmers I really hope for DC2 or...WipeOut.

kyser73

Not at USA Physical Retail.

Maybe if we include a TON of digital sales into the equation + Europe....I don't know...but if we're just looking at USA Physical retail...yeah.

Maybe if we include the rest of the world + another sales channel...

As for the IP being dead...it'll be a comeback story and a half.

benzy

Great news. Looking forward to whatever they bring, hopefully DC2.

btkvdj.gif

As for the IP being dead...it'll be a comeback story and a half.

I don't know, man.

USA Physical Retail is generally a good portion of worldwide sales, and it's generally like 80% of total USA sales for big titles.

And Driveclub did NOT do well AT ALL so far.

Let's hope that a lot more Driveclub games were sold in Europe than in the USA.

Rajang

Let me get this straight... Evolution is actually trying to improve on the graphics of a game that looks like this:

ahcbuh.gif

jIwMJmq.jpg

15803495899_64751ec8f1_o.jpg

fi25vv.jpg

benzy

I don't know, man.

USA Physical Retail is generally a good portion of worldwide sales, and it's generally like 80% of big titles for USA sales.

What? There's around 700,000 players in the leaderboards. Safe to assume the game has sold at least 500,000 copies, not to mention a higher amount shipped to retailers.

djjinx2

I don't know, man.

USA Physical Retail is generally a good portion of worldwide sales, and it's generally like 80% of big titles for USA sales.

Racing games sell better in Europe.
The game was cheaper digitally than retail.

Would you consider 600k so far as bad? (I haven't a clue if that's good or bad and it's tales from my ass)

I thought they were shuttering because of Driveclub?

You mean to tell me Sony isn't a prosecutor and they actually care about honing talent than firing them? Go figure!

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
No DC2 after the first one! Bring MotorStorm back first.

Go back to MotorStorm 1 (open world)+DC engine (upgrade)+weather from DC (upgrade)+amazing damage model= Day fucking 1!!!!

le-seb

Why would you buy the $50/€40 digital download when you can buy a $60/€50 retail disc, it makes no sense! /s
Game has been #1 EU PSN and #5 US PSN seller for the month of October, so it probably means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Global sales is probably around 900k.
It's probably well above that, already.
Nobody's been able to set lap times in the game during the first weeks, and yet there are +427k times in the first event's leaderboard.

It'd be cool if Evolution does something offroad-related. Maybe a RallyClub. Or a... TrailClub. I dunno. Just something along the lines of DriveClub except this time in the spirit of driving off-the-highway.

Mokubba

I don't know, man.

USA Physical Retail is generally a good portion of worldwide sales, and it's generally like 80% of total USA sales for big titles.

Let's hope that a lot more Driveclub games were sold in Europe than in the USA.

Yea I expect it to be lopsided to Europe just like GT5.

Driveclub also had a bigger digital presence as well

I'd like to see Driveclub as an evergreen IP that's maintained over the entire generation.

Modest investments, just more cars, tracks, modes added over time via season passes/DLC, and make prior content of DC free on Plus to expands the opportunity to up sell DLC. An annual DC: Season 2/3/4 concept wouldn't be bad, I think.

And they could use assets built for Driveclub for another racing IP with the same engine. Open world, rally, whatever.

Then Motorstorm or Wipeout. :)

Skittles

If I was out of college and lived in europe. I would totally try for it. Kind of don't like how they ask for prior experience beforehand. Makes the game industry a bitch to get into because of it

Radec

Driveclub is heavily bundled on Asia and Europe when it launched.

I think it was like $450 with the game, 1 year PS+, and extended warranty.

That deal was amazing.

Great to hear Evo doing stuff again.

No open world please.

Boyzi

Banned
Man, I love the guys at Evo - such a talented studio - but the public now DEMAND a new Motorstorm game built from the ground up for PS4 only. #MakingDreamsComeTrue

Driveclub is heavily bundled on Asia and Europe when it launched.

I think it was like $450 with the game, 1 year PS+, and extended warranty.

That deal was amazing.

Great to hear Evo doing stuff again.

No open world please.

Asia's Driveclub bundle deal wasn't that great, really. Our PS+ is also cheaper than US/Europe to begin with.

Shengar

Hopefully, the word of mouth will helped them.

Conduit

Banned
Hhmmmm, certainly didn't think DC was a sales failure :(

It's above 500k right?

Waaay above 500k, at least retail version. Digital version also sold very good. Driveclub was in top 10 4 weeks in a row in all PAL territories. For whole October month Driveclub was @1st place on EU PSN :

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014...tober-driveclub-minecraft-middle-earth-fight/

Digital sales chart on US PSN ( Driveclub No.5 )

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/11/07/playstation-stores-top-sellers-october-2014/

vesvci

Banned

Agreed.

I wonder how many physical copies were sold versus digital. I decided to get the digital version, since I plan to be playing this a while with the season pass.

Just a beautiful game with fun gameplay.

Chris_C

Bring on a next gen motorstorm!

This is what I want to see. I'd love some sort of "Motorstorm 2097" game, with realistic looking vehicles that can traverser rugged land and angry seas. I really loved just wading through the mud in the original on my little bike against giant trucks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They specify that the employees "will have a mandate to push the creative and technical boundaries of Sony platforms, supported by direct access to the teams who developed the PlayStation4 hardware and software."

this part could be good. Wonder if Sony wants some of that tech to be shared amongst internal studios?

drotahorror

The original MotorStorm actually sold decently in the USA...and in the EU, racing games tend to sell better.

Pacific Rift sold worse, but it didn't outright fail.

Right, but I was talking about Apocalypse. You said 1 failure (driveclub). Maybe Apocalypse did really well in hindsight. It was free on PS+ pretty quick though. I think Puppeteer beat it though in terms of coming out on PS+ quicker after release.

Why would you buy the $50/€40 digital download when you can buy a $60/€50 retail disc, it makes no sense!
Game has been #1 EU PSN and #4 US PSN seller for the month of October, so it probably means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Really? We know that digital purchases are getting bigger and bigger, with regards to all kind of games, including retail games. Digital sales should not be discounted.

Fantastic news.

Really hope it's a new DC, not particularly interested in a new Motorstorm and while I really like Evo, they don't strike me as a developer who understands Wipeout enough to give us a good Wipeout game.

HD/Fury and 2048 set the bar extremely high and I just don't see Evo reaching it, let alone passing it.

Rembrandt

Banned
What? There's around 700,000 players in the leaderboards. Safe to assume the game has sold at least 500,000 copies, not to mention a higher amount shipped to retailers.

Couldn't that just be multiple accounts on the same console?

edit: not all 700,000 of course.

Agreed.

I wonder how many physical copies were sold versus digital. I decided to get the digital version, since I plan to be playing this a while with the season pass.

Just a beautiful game with fun gameplay.

In the first week 70% of sales came from digital and approximately 70% of total sales in the first week came from Europe. If people actually bothered to use google they would see the game hit the million mark in the first week globally.

Hojaho

Amazing ;)
Hoping for a Motorstorm Pacific Rift 2. DC2 can wait, there are quite a lot of incoming content for DC in 2015.

Top Bottom