• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Had some fun playing Maggie again this weekend. Reminded me of how annoying you can be as her with harpoon traps in a dome/arena. However I do think it would be cool if she had another loadout that gave her another non-daisy ability that is useful in combat. I think Daisy itself was a safety net they put in and made Maggie the default trapper because they were afraid of games where no one found the Monster on release, but it means that if you don't rely on Daisy for tracking then Maggie just seems like she only has two things to switch between.

I also think it was a mistake to make Maggie the default trapper, they were afraid of people not finding the monster but it also trained people to do nothing but follow Daisy, which always had them trailing the Monster and the 'running simulator' complaints. Removing that safety net would have had people realizing much earlier that you have to spread out and cut off the Monster to get it.

Heh, I gave up on evacuation ages ago on PC. It's only during these weekend events that I really load up the game anymore because it's fairly quick to find arena or hunt games during them @ prime time.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Heh, I gave up on evacuation ages ago on PC. It's only during these weekend events that I really load up the game anymore because it's fairly quick to find arena or hunt games during them @ prime time.

I did the same i played in the weekends when a challenge is up and searched in good times for europeans and americans and never had a problem searching for evac coop. It's the first time i had this problem.

Bru

I was searching for 1 hour in evacuation coop and didn't found nothing.Never happened before in the xbox one.And was 5 hours ago.

Animal teletransportation

Matchmaking on Xbox One has been bugged since the E3 update. It takes a lot longer to get into matches and is almost impossible to find a game when in a party of four (the group leader will eventually be removed completely). There is a thread about the issue over on the official forums. It's really put me off playing until a fix is found.

Mathi

I think you read that wrong, we reached the stretch goal and still have 18 hours left. They are getting really generous with the challenge goals, not that I'm complaining.

Wow, just caught the 3 hour livestream they did yesterday. Huge changes coming to the game, especially ones trying to 'destress' the Monster and Trapper roles which I am all for. Almost seems like a perfect time for a mini-relaunch to try and get some people back. Also, five new Arena maps. Bucket looks like a beast now as well.

VODs:
http://www.twitch.tv/evolvegame/v/9129488
http://www.twitch.tv/evolvegame/v/9130144
http://www.twitch.tv/evolvegame/v/9130808
http://www.twitch.tv/evolvegame/v/9131615

Stanng243

Wow, just caught the 3 hour livestream they did yesterday. Huge changes coming to the game, especially ones trying to 'destress' the Monster and Trapper roles which I am all for. Almost seems like a perfect time for a mini-relaunch to try and get some people back. Also, five new Arena maps. Bucket looks like a beast now as well.

VODs:
http://www.twitch.tv/evolvegame/v/9129488
http://www.twitch.tv/evolvegame/v/9130144
http://www.twitch.tv/evolvegame/v/9130808
http://www.twitch.tv/evolvegame/v/9131615

When is this happening? I still haven't played my copy of the game, might jump in for this.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Bodies falling through the gameworld (affects Lazarus)

Isn't this what you are talking about? Is there another one? The bodies falling through the world thing was the most frequent and devastating (basically ruins the entire match) in my experiences.

Fuck i'm blind :/ sorry for my words.But....It's too late!!! xdddddd

Holy crap, just read up on the Hunt 2.0 changes. Dedicated servers, actual role selection (as a Monster player this pleases me greatly), skill based matchmaking, new ranking system, deserter penalties, etc. Looking forward to jumping back in the game on Tuesday.

Oh and the new Trapper looks cool, too.

I am really hoping the new changes make the game fun to play again, but I am not holding my breath. Though, I am excited about ranked mode and a new leaderboard. I'm #4 on the global Goliath leaderboard right now but the gap between me and #3 is like.. 800 wins. So fuck yes, give us a leaderboard based on actual win/loss and who you beat as opposed to who just plays longest and racks up the most wins.

Personally I didn't see anything in their balance video that made it seem as if they've solved the whole "hold the dome" strategy. It was funny, they're sitting their talking about how you actually lose more health by hiding in a dome instead of fighting, meanwhile in the actual game the wraith is domed at stage one and is hiding on a pillar taking no damage. I don't see anything there that would make a team decide to go ahead and throw the dome as opposed to waiting for the evolve and a guaranteed massive amounts of health damage.

Instead of buffing stage one monsters a little bit they need to tackle the meta that allows hunters to basically keep up with monsters throughout the game. Once hunters are on you in the game, they're on you for good unless they are just not any good. Sneaking still seems like it will be a worthless element to the game in higher level play. Looked like the wraith got birds on her first or second meal in that match. So stupid.

And as I main Goliath, I am just wondering when/if fixes for these bugs that have been present since day one are ever going to show up. Why does my leap smash still do no damage many times when it clearly connects? Why do rocks still smash into the faces of hunters but do no damage? Why do I still rocket hundreds of feet into the air when I jump, when all I wanted to do was leap up onto a ledge and finish off a hunter? Among many other clipping issues and glitches. I'm sure every monster has a long list.

edit, I'm actually reading the patch notes for Tuesdays update now (wow, they finally started actually keeping us in the loop). There are some decent changes to the sneak mechanic, but it's still way too RNG to be used in high level play imho.

So I hopped into a solo game to try Jack out and I'm greeted with a new Goliath evolution: Meteor Goliath. Looks really cool.
Apparently it will be a free update to all players in the future. They say it has the same abilities but their attributes may be different, though to be honest I didn't really notice what the differences were in-game.

Edit: Got it again, but took a pic this time:
2015-08-11_00001vyssz.jpg

BurningNad

Sooo, Hunt 2.0. Anyone playing? Jack seems cool. I'm just getting into playing again and having fun with Slim. Haven't done all my placement matches though. Not sure if it's just too late for the game or not, I hope this patch gives it a jumpstart.

So whats everyone think? Haven't jumped in yet myself but I'm really curious to see if it brings some people back. The main interest to me is the new balance stuff and the 'destressing' of the monster and trapper roles. If they can make it easier and funner to just get quick domes and battles I think that would help the game a lot.

Did the first half of my placements. Hunt 2.0 is a lot more fun. The game seems faster and domes are more frequent, and the monster seems more willing to fight in early game than before. Everything just seems more lenient rather than one mistake costing the entire game. I wish the game launched this way.

The new dome timing is fantastic, it takes a lot of the stress off the trapper of missing domes throughout the match and feeling like they let down the entire team. Now domes are much more likely, but the skill comes in making a good dome to fight in. A dome with a ring around the exterior will still make it so the monster can manipulate the fight a lot more, and vice versa.

As a monster user the new mechanics are garbage imho. It takes no skill to trap a monster now, and the game was already broken for monster users in high level olay, now it's just worse because you get domed more often.

More power at stage 1 is nice when pub stomping shut players, but it really doesn't matter against good players. You'll still have a hard time breaking through the defense, probably take health damage in dome 1, and then they are on you the rest of the game.

Most of all though, Goliath is still a broken piece of shit movement wise. His traversal still has too many glitch/clipping issues and even though the patch was supposed to fix his leap smash, it still glitches and stops you midair. And the rock throw can still hit a hunter in their face and do zero damage.

Overall it seems they made the game much easier for hunters in casual play. It's already hunter favored in high level play. You can still pub stomp, I'm 12-0 as my Goliath since the patch, but even scrubs can dome you 6 times now.

That's not even mentioning how bad the ranking system is. Apparently I need 120 points to move into Silver Destroyer, but I get 2 points per win it seems, even going against premade 4 player squads. And it takes forever to find a match, so I'd need to win 50-60 matches without losing. LOL.

I think I'm done with the game, gonna work on the last achievements for Titanfall.

tok9

Ya, so far the main thing I've noticed is how long it takes to find a match. I've played 2 and I've come back for a 3rd and I've been waiting 5-10 minutes so far.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I like the new hunter and the new update: bug

And the new ranked system is shit in the xbox one.Takes a lot of time to search for a game.

Well, no idea about high level play or anything but just playing during prime time my games have been way more fun. Even the losing ones I've found to be better paced because of more domes, and the Monster is tougher in them so it's not as big a deal for it to be domed and take a fight in stage 1, it can take some damage and escape and recover.

What I mean is, usually a long game that is lost means the match was a lot of our trapper being juked and the monster staging up until a final fight where we get destroyed. Tonight I had a bunch of games that went to stage 3 and we lost, but they were much more fun because there was constant domes throughout and good fights to be had that didn't completely make or break the match.

Started playing as Lennox. So far I think her plasma lance sucks and vs a competent monster its almost impossible to keep a combo going. I'd love to see some vids of a good Lennox player with the lance. However her auto cannon is awesome, great consistent damage, and accurate as hell.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Started playing as Lennox. So far I think her plasma lance sucks and vs a competent monster its almost impossible to keep a combo going. I'd love to see some vids of a good Lennox player with the lance. However her auto cannon is awesome, great consistent damage, and accurate as hell.

Lennox is awesome.

Matchmaking in Hunt 2.0 seems a bit off. It's strange, on the Turtle Rock forums almost everyone is complaining that it takes too long as a monster player, but in my experience the biggest waiting times come when I'm trying to find a game as a hunter.

Maybe it's a difference between PC/console, or north-america/europe?

Fortunately it's not really a problem for me, I enjoy playing as a monster and as a hunter, so if one takes too long I'll just switch over to the other queue and still get in a match relatively fast.

Matchmaking in Hunt 2.0 seems a bit off. It's strange, on the Turtle Rock forums almost everyone is complaining that it takes too long as a monster player, but in my experience the biggest waiting times come when I'm trying to find a game as a hunter.

Maybe it's a difference between PC/console, or north-america/europe?

Fortunately it's not really a problem for me, I enjoy playing as a monster and as a hunter, so if one takes too long I'll just switch over to the other queue and still get in a match relatively fast.

The timings for hunter for me have been a little big longer than pre-2.0, but nothing untenable, usually within the 3-5 minute range during prime time. The gains are worth it though, as you are more ensured a game now where people are playing the class they want and a monster that is someone who chose to play monster, plus less leavers in general due to the structured matches. During off hours though its still pretty rough, was playing early morning and had to get matched with some Australians.

Also I take it back about Lennox, the plasma lance is amazing when you learn its distance and how to use it well. With movement speed you can kind of keep on the edge of the range while dodging and building up combo then either switch to your cannon or do the ground pound move for massive damage. It's still really tough against Kraken, but I guess each hunter shouldn't be great against every monster (except Hyde).

tok9

The game is a disaster for a solo hunter now on PS$ at least. Between the ridiculous long waiting times and then waiting for people to actually select a role, it just takes too long.

This is only my 4th game in the placement and it's not for a lack of trying.

On top of that we still have the regional dlc issue to deal with too.

I'm just getting really frustrated with it.

Yeah, the waiting times are horrid, but the game ia so much fun when you're finally in! Yesterday as Goliath, I got down to a single piece of health as a stage 2, managed to get away from the hunters, evolve and kick their shiny metal butts. Felt so fucking great,a really unique experience.

That's also when I noticed the balancing changes for Hunt 2.0. Not only was it a lot harder to get away from the hunters cause the stamina recharges much more slowly. But it was alot easier to get strikes on hunters as stage 1 and 2. No longer are you just a threat as stage 3, which is great for balancing the game.

Free weekend on Steam and Xbone right now, wonder how many people will stick. They also updated the matchmaking so there is one skirmish playlist that looks for hunt, arena, and defend so help with the long matchmaking times.

Top Bottom