• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve [Turtle Rock] web page gets countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsDorf

Banned
This train derailed long ago. I do not think there is any way to right it's wrongs this late in the game. Making it F2P with transaction is just a horrible idea.

soultron

Banned
This train derailed long ago. I do not think there is any way to right it's wrongs this late in the game. Making it F2P with transaction is just a horrible idea.

It's a great way to essentially relaunch a game and get tonnes of free press and new players. There are plenty of successful games that operate on this model already, but Evolve wasn't given this chance since it was priced in a way that a lot of people fundamentally disagreed with, back at launch.

I still don't understand where this game went wrong. Everything I've seen leading up to release was good shit.

Too much DLC, not enough content, little to no balance patching the first 8 months, overpowered monsters, lack of game modes, inability to fix certain bugs for months on end, and just generally the gameplay wasn't interesting until the fight started.

Think that about sums it up.

Since its also matchmaking only once the playerbase started dropping it dropped like a rock.

LordRaptor

Nice find

I enjoyed my time with the beta but the DLC mess definitely soured my interest.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, and its why I was hoping for a sale in the steam sale; beta was good fun, but I didn't want to support their DLC practices, so was waiting to buy the "ultimate edition" at reduced price - hopefully sending the message that it was purely the pricing I as a consumer had a problem with.

If it does got F2P it actually solves the other concern I'd have as a late buyer, namely that what playerbase there is left are all grizzled veterans at max rank who are going to give me nothing but shit while I play, learn and levelup

Sojgat

Too much DLC, not enough content, little to no balance patching the first 8 months, overpowered monsters, lack of game modes, inability to fix certain bugs for months on end, and just generally the gameplay wasn't interesting until the fight started.

Think that about sums it up.

Since its also matchmaking only once the playerbase started dropping it dropped like a rock.

I'm a fan of the game, but this is all pretty much accurate.

I still don't understand where this game went wrong. Everything I've seen leading up to release was good shit.

Pre-release buzz was misleading because everyone who had played it and was hyping the shit out of it essentially play it in couch MP mode with their friends, which made the game way more enjoyable than it was. When it released, the reality was most people connected with 4 strangers and had long, boring matches.

The DLC stuff also came into play, even though imho it was entirely unwarranted. But an avalanche of bitching started and there was no stopping it, logic or reality be damned.

Since the initial launch the game has been in a constant state of glitches, bugs, and slow changes to the meta, which has pretty much always drastically favored good hunter teams.

They've been hyping update 9.0 for months, we'll see what it does for the meta.

Deadstar

Does the game still have $723 in dlc? I still want to play the game but without a game of the year version I have no interest.

Deadstar

Here's what they should have done.

1. Released a full game with no dlc and no preorder bonuses
2. See if the game gets popular
3. Add cosmetic dlc
4. Add new monsters and levels for free to grow the player base

Even if this is made F2P isn't this a classic case of "too little, too late"?
Game was a snore fest and it will take nothing short of a miracle to change that!

Gator86

Does the game still have $723 in dlc? I still want to play the game but without a game of the year version I have no interest.

The whole DLC hysterics were waaaaay out of proportion. All of the DLC at launch was just lazy pallete swaps for the guns. The game had lots of other problems that basically went ignored by the hate train. Most people just threw out blanket DLC scam/game's boring! without taking the time with it. Not to say it wasn't boring/severely flawed/mediocre, but I'd say most didn't give the game an honest chance before coming to that conclusion.

KissVibes

Banned
The game had two season passes, like $1000 in DLC (cosmetic or not, looking at the store page and seeing the DLC list scared me away), and had day one $15 character DLC. Now it goes F2P a little over a year after release? What the fuck. Why couldn't they just bundle it all together for $30 and do a Complete Edition campaign? Instead, they look to screw over those that bought into the game already (many more people than Battleborn, btw) and nickle and dime those that may check the game out.

I loved the Evolve beta and thought the game had HUGE potential coming from people that know how to make a fun online game, Left 4 Dead. They killed any chance the game had with their aggressive and gross DLC strategy, and look to make it worse.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
The game had two season passes, like $1000 in DLC (cosmetic or not, looking at the store page and seeing the DLC list scared me away), and had day one $15 character DLC. Now it goes F2P a little over a year after release? What the fuck. Why couldn't they just bundle it all together for $30 and do a Complete Edition campaign? Instead, they look to screw over those that bought into the game already (many more people than Battleborn, btw) and nickle and dime those that may check the game out.

I loved the Evolve beta and thought the game had HUGE potential coming from people that know how to make a fun online game, Left 4 Dead. They killed any chance the game had with their aggressive and gross DLC strategy, and look to make it worse.

Pretty sure they did bundle everything, which I recently saw on sale for $19.99 on Amazon.

jediyoshi

Why couldn't they just bundle it all together for $30 and do a Complete Edition campaign? Instead, they look to screw over those that bought into the game already (many more people than Battleborn, btw) and nickle and dime those that may check the game out.

$30 gate isn't going to solve the issue of a low player base. They'd just be charging $30 for a dead game.

blakep267

I'd go back to it if they made it free to play and they made a mode where the monster was the AI( what I mean is have 4 human players and the monster be AI but really tough)I hated having to play the monster

duckroll

Huh. Looks like they might really be going F2P. Somehow I don't feel it'll work out in the long term. Might give it another shot with friends if it goes free though.

Also, I feel really bad about this but when I first saw the title, I read it as "Turtle Rock (Evolve) gets shutdown" instead. :(

soultron

Banned
Going free on PC, Beta 07 July.

Exerpt from message to fans from TRS said:
Here’s how it’s going to work: We’re going to make Evolve free on PC as a Beta starting on July 7. This is going to allow us to hit our new server infrastructure really hard and we need your help testing. Stuff could break, and that’s our hope, because that will give us time to improve things as we go. We’ll parse out major Beta revisions, updates and features over a period of weeks and months -- a plan we're going to continually communicate here. This allows us to test new features and major changes to make our game more accessible and ever closer to the joy we saw when we first showed our baby to the world. Just as importantly, this Beta plan gives us the flexibility and time we need to keep fixing bugs and making Evolve more stable.

“What about those who paid for Evolve? What about Season Passers?”

Anyone who owns classic Evolve will be given “Founder” status in the new free version, and all the content you already own comes with you to the new version. As long as we work on Evolve, we will show our appreciation for our committed fans and early adopters with gifts, rewards, and special access. Why? Because you believed like we did, and we will never forget that.

RevenWolf

Really hope it gets revitalised, the game was so much fun despite some balancing issues and 2k inflating monster prices.

At least the scheme itself didn't split the playerbase.

El_Chino

My guess, yeah. So much easier to patch and quickly update things on PC because you don't need to pass patches through MS/Sony cert.

Look at CSGO or TF2 on consoles compared to PC, if you need a point of reference.
Was really hoping it would be on all platforms.

Would've been fun to try with my friends on Xbox.

jediyoshi

Huh. Unless they actually mean the base game as it existed will be free, wish they'd explicitly say they aren't going to parcel out gameplay content like typical f2p transitions.

Inviusx

Free on PC, $55AUD on PS4. No real excuse for excluding consoles, plenty of games use the FTP model on console with great success. Really dropped the ball with this one Turtle Rock.

Memory

Was really hoping it would be on all platforms.

Would've been fun to try with my friends on Xbox.

You can pick it up for like $4 on Amazon for the base game, alternatively get the ult edition for $18 on the Xbox store.

That said i'm 100% sure it will be coming to consoles in the new year, there is no point doing it now as any buzz will be taken by Infinite Warfare, Battlefield1, TitanFall 2, Division expansion, Destiny Expansion and the Overwatch update which are all coming out soon.

I thought this game was really fun and cool, i mostly played with bots though so maybe that's why.

jediyoshi

Free on PC, $55AUD on PS4. No real excuse for excluding consoles, plenty of games use the FTP model on console with great success. Really dropped the ball with this one Turtle Rock.

I imagine once they have everything actually developed and working, they'd be open to it. The logistics of transitioning a game from paid to f2p is probably different than a game being f2p to begin with.

Does anyone actually play this fucking game?

No

Anyone who owns classic Evolve will be given “Founder” status in the new free version, and all the content you already own comes with you to the new version. As long as we work on Evolve, we will show our appreciation for our committed fans and early adopters with gifts, rewards, and special access. Why? Because you believed like we did, and we will never forget that.

PFFF HAHA wow what a reward for all those people who paid, being super vague. I wonder what the "gifts" will be.

Mengetsu

MacMan
Co-Founder
1h
The beta is on Steam because it allows us to iterate very quickly, to listen to feedback and respond in record time (we are able to work on a weekly patch schedule.) We can test new features most effectively here, figure out what works and what doesn't with intent to bring it to the consoles should it prove successful.

soultron

Banned
MacMan
Co-Founder
1h
The beta is on Steam because it allows us to iterate very quickly, to listen to feedback and respond in record time (we are able to work on a weekly patch schedule.) We can test new features most effectively here, figure out what works and what doesn't with intent to bring it to the consoles should it prove successful.
Which is the truth of it, really. It doesn't make sense for TRS to spend/invest on a console F2P version yet if it's unproven. Evolve F2P on PC might not take, for all anyone knows at this point.

MacMan
Co-Founder
1h

Surely that means they are no longer going to sell it on consoles whilst they fine tune the pc beta ?

Right?........ nah doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom