• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evony plagiarism--graphics taken directly from AoE II: Age of Kings.

DogWelder

Evony Plagiarism – Spot The Difference
by Sol Invictus, Level 52
Last updated at August 26, 2009, 4:01 pm
---

Evony's lawsuit against Bruce Everiss for shaking the tree at the Chinese gold farming-driven operation is well under way, with websites such as Offworld and Gawker reporting on the news along with every other respectable gaming website on the internet.

As scuttlebutt would have it, some people remain unimpressed with Bruce Everiss's findings and have questioned his lack of evidence against the Evony operation. As such, I've taken the liberty to provide evidence of Evony's blatant use of artwork from Age of Empires II: Age of Kings.

Let's play some “Spot the Difference”. Click the image for the full size.

Age of Empires II: Age of Kings
eZaJ9.jpg

Evony
gtQeZ.jpg

Walls – Rescaled.
Stables – No modifications.
Archery Targets – Cloned and stamped.
Dome – Cut and pasted.
Building side #1 and #2 – Cut and pasted.

There are more stolen graphics in the game, of course, but I can't be bothered to sift through each and every building. If it's proof you wanted, this should more than suffice.
http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Hellforge/Evony-Plagiarism-Spot-The-Difference

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I was wondering how it was legal for them to be using all of their art assets when I played this a few months back.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
JodyAnthony said:
i hope they get sued forever, my lord.
:lol :lol :lol

I don't know why, but out of all the shit they stole, the walls feel the most blatant. Like...did...did they not expect people to notice?

b.e.r.g

GarthVaderUK said:
Seen these?

http://i30.tinypic.com/2dtncsn.jpg
[IMG]http://i32.tinypic.com/30vf21c.jpg
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/v4ngpl.jpg

:lol[/QUOTE]
:lol Not until now! Well played PopCap, well played!

Leunam

The hell? Most of it is stolen.

The buildings marked "2" are from the Viking team tileset. It's the blacksmith. The building marked with a purple "1" is a market lifted from the Briton tileset. All the houses are copy and paste jobs. The other "1" stuff is a modified tower, also from the Briton tileset. The Other "4" next to the purple "1" is a Briton tileset blacksmith. And parts from the building marked building side in the second image are taken from the town center, also the Briton tileset. Hell, even the stone road is stolen from the map maker. I think the grass is stolen too. There were, I think, three or four grass brushes you could use in the map maker.

The nerve. :mad:

zoku88

Before I scrolled down enough to see the 2nd picture's interface, I had thought that both of the pictures were AOE. :lol

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Leunam said:
The hell? Most of it is stolen.

The buildings marked "2" are from the Viking team tileset. It's the blacksmith. The building marked with a purple "1" is a market lifted from the Briton tileset. All the houses are copy and paste jobs. The other "1" stuff is a modified tower, also from the Briton tileset. The Other "4" next to the purple "1" is a Briton tileset blacksmith. And parts from the building marked building side in the second image are taken from the town center, also the Briton tileset. Hell, even the stone road is stolen from the map maker. I think the grass is stolen too. There were, I think, three or four grass brushes you could use in the map maker.

The nerve. :mad:

Oh shit, most of it is stolen????

Leunam

The green "4" are all modified Briton barracks with a pasted Briton cannon tower in the corner. Shit, I think the trees are stolen too. The tower between the stuff marked "building side" is taken from the Viking tileset, I think.

At this point, I think the only stuff that's original is the UI, but that stuff is probably stolen too.

xbhaskarx

Diablohead said:
I will never understand why anyone can't just make their own assets, you will always get caught.

Right, and besides that, why steal from a very popular game that everyone is familiar with?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Asmodai said:
How do the idiots behind these games afford the ridiculous amount of advertising this Evony had?

They guy who runs Evony also runs a Chinese gold farmer operation that purportedly makes tons of cash.

Giolon

I think the walls are a little bit of a stretch to call the same but given everything else in that comparison...

/facepalm

Leunam

Giolon said:
I think the walls are a little bit of a stretch to call the same but given everything else in that comparison...

/facepalm

They're the same, the resolution is different.

If I still had the game I'd fire it up right now and take screenshots.

Holy shit, I was expecting a few unit graphics or something. If you hadn't told me otherwise, I would have immediately assumed that I was looking at some odd port or mod of Age of Kings.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I bet the Chinese wish their asset theft had remained Unnoticeable Now.

well, seems obvious enough.
Ya know, you can very easily steal art as long as you change it enough so no one can notice that you did. It's very easy to do.
I guess it makes sense though that someone too lazy to make their own art is also too lazy to cover their tracks.

Top Bottom