• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVR - CCP's Oculus Rift Space Dogfighting Game getting RAVE reviews from E3 goers

YuShtink

More people need to take notice of the potential the Oculus Rift brings to the table! A few members of CCP threw this together in a few week of their SPARE TIME and people are saying it is one of the greatest gaming experiences of their life.

Tweets I've been seeing in the last couple of days:

Jeff Rubenstein ‏@jeffrubenstein 5h
Oculus Rift+Eve Online is one of the most incredible gaming experiences I've ever had. A must try if you ever get the opportunity.

Jayme ‏@onewingedkefka 3h
Just saw EVR on the Oculus Rift. Amazeballs. I felt like I was actually in a spaceship dogfight. Now THAT's the future.

Carolyn Rauber ‏@itsacarolyn 3h
Holy cow. Oculus Rift is awesome. And I feel like the spatial processing part of my brain just went through a blender. #gls2013

Ben Silverman ‏@ben_silverman 2h
Just had my first Oculus Rift OH SHIT moment. I literally yelled out OH SHIT in the middle of a demo. #ohshit

Sean Cargle ‏@CargleS 1h
Just played @CCPGames EvR with the Oculus Rift. Hot damn. No space sim will ever be the same. @Beefjack

Lucy James ‏@lucyjamesgames 1h
Oh man, just tried out the Oculus Rift at the CCP stand. It was incredible! Can't wait to see more from it

Ryan McCaffrey ‏@DMC_Ryan 1h
Oculus Rift? More like Oculus Holy Shiiiiiiit! The Eve Online VR tech demo was seriously next-level. I looked down & had a pilot's body! #e3

Samuel_IGN ‏@Samuel_IGN 51m
Eve VR is the coolest game at #E32013. Oculus Rift+Rogue Squadron. Holy shit.

Josh Daws ‏@JoshDaws 48m
I've seen the future of gaming and it is called Oculus Rift. The promise of virtual reality finally delivered. So swag as the kids say. #e3

Rob Keyes ‏@rob_keyes 43m
Oculus Rift changed my life. Thank you, @CCPGames.

Nick Capozzoli ‏@NickCapozzoli 12 Jun
CCP's dogfighting Oculus Rift demo is absolutely sublime.

Ripper X ‏@Ripper__X 23h
Just sat down with the Oculus VR headset and played a custom EVE game called EVR...OMG!! This is the future of gaming. @Oculus3D

Josh Augustine ‏@jaugustine 22h
The Oculus Rift is incredible. And so is the flight sim death match game CCP built for it :) pic.twitter.com/rOUfoBlPQl

Dan Hindes ‏@dhindes 22h
Just went hands-on with a 1080p Oculus Rift and CCP's EVE VR space dogfighting game. I have seen the future

Dave Crooks ‏@dave_crooks 22h
Finally got my hands on the oculus with ccps dog fighter game. I was skeptical, now I'm not. That shit was awesome.

Kenneth Price ‏@pricefilms 21h
So far an oculus rift demo by the EVE online team may be the most impressive thing I've seen. Never would have thought... #E32013

Scott Craft ‏@iDTScottC 12 Jun
Just played some #EVR with Ben Heck, and to say that I'm officially sold on the Oculus Rift now is an understatement. #E3

Maxwell Roahrig ‏@mroahrig 12 Jun
Holy. Fuck. Oculus. #E3

David Ellis ‏@DavidEllis 3h
Most jaw dropping I played all week was EVR, the Oculus Rift dogfighting demo. Most fun game was Titanfall. Destiny looked great as well.

John ‏@magaman 3h
Checked out EVR at CCP, holy crap is it amazing on Oculus Rift amazing

Colin Moriarty ‏@notaxation 3h
By the way, the best thing I saw at the show was EVE's Oculus Rift space shooter. Thing is fucking nuts. That's the future. Kudos,

Quinn Sullivan ‏@Soulibon 3h
@CCPGames never ceases to amaze me. Their protoype for their EvEVR Oculus Rift game was a true next generation experience.

R. Bryant Francis ‏@RBryant2012 2h
Just tried CCP's Oculus Rift Dogfighting demo. AAAAAHHHHHH

shaun prescott ‏@shaun_prescott 2h
Played Eve Online with Oculus Rift today. I want to live in virtual reality space. I am changed.

Peer Schneider ‏@PeerIGN 2h
E3 is done. Immediate regret: wanted one more game of EVE VR using Oculus Rift! What a cool glimpse at the future.

Dan Ryckert ‏@DanRyckert 2h
Tried the Unreal demo and EVR with Oculus Rift. The Rift is genuinely one of the coolest things I've ever seen the industry produce.

Blake Rochkind ‏@BlakeRochkind 2h
I will forever remember that at the end of the last day of E3 @rocket2guns and I went TO THE FUTURE and experienced Oculus EVE for 1st time.

Michael Grimm ‏@Pseudobread 2h
I was a Oculus Rift doubter, but @ccpgames' EVR flight combat game has made me a believer. Legitimately wowed. #E3

Nick Chester ‏@nickchester 2h
I did, however, play CCP's Eve Oculus Rift tech demo and that was a rad experience, for sure.

Strebeck ‏@Strebeck 2h
@CCPGames quietly had the sickest demo at #E3. That Oculus Rift EveVR thing was freakin legit!

Jeff Cannata and Dan Trachtenberg of The Totally Rad Show discuss their experience with EVE-VR at E3 2013:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=M67wgVAavrI#t=2065s

A trailer of the game for those unfamiliar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjhyRkAlK5I

Anyone at E3 who hasn't had a chance to try this out needs to hustle their ass over to CCP's room. NOW!

syko de4d

and they all still play it with the old dev kit, which has a subHD 7inch screen instead of the new one, with a 5.5inch 1080p screen :D

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Played it earlier today and its truly one of the most immersive gaming experiences I've played. Fantastic stuff & I want a build for my dev kit now!

Durante

We saw this, played this, and while I was already convinced as to the viability of the tech before, I am now eagerly anticipating being able to invest in the hardware. It was awesome and, in many ways, a dream come true.
Always good to hear more people having a positive experience with it.

I need to keep my #58 order receipt. Legit hipster nerd street cred.

This looks and sounds incredible - I'm truly excited.

Have they mentioned about support for PS4 or XB1? I know it's PC at the moment (and that's awesome) - but I'm curious to know if they've any discussions with other platform holders.

Hypothetical: Microsoft announces an exclusive partnership with Occulus Rift - what do you do GAF - what do you do!?

YuShtink

Have they mentioned about support for PS4 or XB1? I know it's PC at the moment (and that's awesome) - but I'm curious to know if they've any discussions with other platform holders.

Hypothetical: Microsoft announces an exclusive partnership with Occulus Rift - what do you do GAF - what do you do!?

There are some possible PS4 support rumors circulating after Yoshida was asked yesterday. He said that they have dev kits and that he loves it, but it isn't supported right now (with a wide smile).

The more platforms the better, honestly. It could be integrated pretty easily. Developers just need to be willing to a) design their game with VR in mind instead of just slapping it in as an afterthought and b) scale their games visuals to make sure it can run at a rock solid 60fps in Rift mode.

syko de4d

Here Sony about Oculus
http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/12/playstation-4-oculus-rift/

Sony Computer Entertainment head of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida is a big Oculus Rift fan, it turns out. "We've got a couple of the development kits, and I tried it out and I love it," he told us in an interview this morning at E3 2013. Whether the PlayStation 4 will support it is another question. "No, it doesn't," Yoshida told us. Not yet, that is.

When we asked whether the company's planning on offering support in the future, he only offered a "No comment" with a big smile.

here Oculus about Sony
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...t-we-would-love-to-be-console-compatible.html

While Oculus VR has "long term relationships" with Sony - Iribe himself was chief producer officer at cloud-streaming service Gaikai, which has since been bought by Sony - there haven't been any conversations beyond showing demos.

"We've shown demos and spoken to those guys, but we really haven't taken the conversation any further than just showing them the demo and saying, 'We'd love it to be on your console. Let us know if you agree any time, we're happy to be there!'" Iribe said.

So it sounds like it would be possible but nothing official at the moment.

There's no hope that they could lock it off PCs, so no concerns here.

CTLance

Dammit, instead of that incredibly meh waste of money Dust shooter, why did CCP not invest in that instead?

Looks amazeballs even without a Rift.

Despera

Banned
There are some possible PS4 support rumors circulating after Yoshida was asked yesterday. He said that they have dev kits and that he loves it, but it isn't supported right now (with a wide smile).
With a wide smile, eh?

Maybe Sony is cooking up an improved version of the HMZ which rivals the Oculus Rift?

Durante

With a wide smile, eh?

Maybe Sony is cooking up an improved version of the HMZ which rivals the Oculus Rift?
If Sony really put their mind to it, they could easily out-Rift the Rift in terms of engineering, by sheer power of capital and resources. But I don't think they will.

KKRT00

Dammit, instead of that incredibly meh waste of money Dust shooter, why did CCP not invest in that instead?

Looks amazeballs even without a Rift.

Dust is not waste of money. I can bet that it will be amazing game in year or year and half.

Seanspeed

Banned
I feel like every week, something new is blowing people's minds with Oculus Rift.

I cant get enough of it. I just love reading how excited people are about it.

YuShtink

If Sony really put their mind to it, they could easily out-Rift the Rift in terms of engineering, by sheer power of capital and resources. But I don't think they will.

God I hope not.

Palmer Luckey (a 20 year old dude) has single handedly brought VR back from the dead after toiling for years in his parent's garage. He claims he wouldn't really mind as long as VR became a reality, but imo it would be a travesty if a big company like Sony ripped it off and took all the credit.

Momentary

Banned
Four years from now I'll have SLI VOLTAs + Oculus Rift + Cyberpunk 2077 Complete Pack from Steam. My dream for a true next generation experience.

YuShtink

What's the metacritic on this?

It's not a real, retail game yet. More of a proof of concept or tech demo that they've only been showing at trade shows. They aren't sure what to do with it but with all the ridiculously positive feedback they are getting I think they'd be crazy not to do something more with it.

Durante

God I hope not.

Palmer Luckey (a 20 year old dude) has single handedly brought VR back from the dead after toiling for years in his parent's garage. He claims he wouldn't really mind as long as VR became a reality, but imo it would be a travesty if a big company like Sony ripped it off and took all the credit.
You're preaching to the choir here, I was in on the Rift when the kickstarter was supposed to be for a $500 kit built by Palmer and friends, and I really want it to remain a PC-first device. I'm just being realistic in terms of what a huge company could achieve engineering-wise if they put their mind (and money, and a competent team) to it.

Nick Capozzoli ‏@NickCapozzoli 12 Jun
CCP's dogfighting Oculus Rift demo is absolutely sublime.

Hey, that's me!

Now that the show's over, I can say this with certainty:

Best thing I saw at this year's E3. By far.

CCP were mum on details, but they're definitely aware of the overwhelming response its been getting. They seem very keen on taking it further.

YuShtink

You're preaching to the choir here, I was in on the Rift when the kickstarter was supposed to be for a $500 kit built by Palmer and friends, and I really want it to remain a PC-first device. I'm just being realistic in terms of what a huge company could achieve engineering-wise if they put their mind (and money, and a competent team) to it.

Yea it's certainly a possibility. At this point though I think Oculus has made enough waves around the industry that people are looking to them as THE VR guys. And the device itself aside, they've also made such progress in making VR development something so accessible with integration into Unity and Unreal 3 + 4. Including anyone and everyone who wants to take part in the testing and development of the product itself. They've just done everything the right way so far and it would be a shame to see them be bullied out of the game by a giant corporation.

pulsemyne

Hey, that's me!

Now that the show's over, I can say this with certainty:

Best thing I saw at this year's E3. By far.

CCP were mum on details, but they're definitely aware of the overwhelming response its been getting. They seem very keen on taking it further.

As an EVE online player I can say I'm very eager to see them take it further. They already have a universe in place with excellent designs. They already have a rabbid fan base. Nearly every single eve player would buy the shit out a rift space shooter. It's what we have all dreamed off from day one.

CTLance

As an EVE online player I can say I'm very eager to see them take it further. They already have a universe in place with excellent designs. They already have a rabbid fan base. Nearly every single eve player would buy the shit out a rift space shooter. It's what we have all dreamed off from day one.
hEha4jL.gif
?

Also: Preach it, brother.

Off topic:
Dust is not waste of money. I can bet that it will be amazing game in year or year and half.
After two and a half years of public beta by that point it damn better be.

It's a shooter in an age where shooters are a dime a dozen and basically come bundled for free with every singleplayer game. It features walking in stations, a CCP "UI" and the typical UE3 look-and-feel. Fun enough, but hardly amazing.

This, on the contrary, would have been unique. Plus, it would have been far closer to the original material.

Oh well. I'll live. Barely. ;)

Sick and tired of hearing how awesome the product is.

Just want the damn thing released already. Truly the only thing that can meaningfuly push games forward in comparison to what the big 3 comapnies are offering.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Tried it yesterday thanks to Evilore and m0dus (big thanks again!) and yeah, its one of the best gaming experiences Ive ever had.

Like, you are literally THERE. You look BEHIND you and theres stuff there, its surreal and mind blowing ans fuck everyrhing omg

they put this together in 4 DAYS.

They also gave us some good info:

-games in 3rd person arent so great. Really feels like youre looking at a character rather than controlling him.

-60 FPS or bust

-small play sessions are encouraged. Its pretty overwhelming

-play sitting down

This is actually kind of old news since it was at Fanfest almost 2 months ago (it got rave reviews then as well), but I suppose if you're not tuned into that, having it at E3 would be most people's first exposure.

I was supposed to get my devkit today, but apparently a large shipment is being held up at customs. So excited. Happy that its hitting the consciousness of the industry.

This looks unreal.

Make this happen on the PS4 Sony! Give CCP the Colony Wars license.

Heh! But truthfully, expect any resultant game to be tied very tightly to their EVE Online flagship. I'd wager that they'd opt for a semi-connected system like Dust 514 or an "EVE: Subtitle" stand-alone game that contributes to the EVE brand.

EVE is CCP, essentially. Their only separate IP is of dubious viability (that other mmorpg that they can't seem to get off the ground), and EVE just seems evergreen. As an IP, it's becoming a wonderful staging point for their other endeavors.

Top Bottom