• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex BioShock devs announce FPS roguelite City Of Brass - Steam 2017, Consoles 2018

Fbh

Roguelite and procedurally generated.

Two words that instantly make me lose interest in any game.

Art style looks pretty cool though.

DocSeuss

"FPS" *gets excited*

"roguelite" *loses excitement*

Then I saw the footage and I'm like... well, dang, it looks like it plays good... Still, roguelites kind of universally suck.

see5harp

Roguelite, permadeath is what is exciting about this. I'll let ya'll sleep and wait on the next dumb ass narrative shoot bang game.

I'm genuinely surprised at how many people are instantly turned off by the Roguelite descriptor. I love me some roguelites and roguelikelikelikes.

The art in the trailer isn't that great to me but I like the idea and setting. Looks like it could end up being a lot of fun when finished.

Just for kicks:

Ziggurat
Tower of Guns
Paranautical Activity
STRAFE
Immortal Redneck
Heavy Bullets
Rogue Shooter
WASTED
Eldritch (sorta)
Reciever (sorta)

So 8 ones in total with a couple of maybes. Not exactly a lot is it? Even if it doubled its still not a lot.

Stoze

So 8 ones in total with a couple of maybes. Not exactly a lot is it? Even if it doubled its still not a lot.
Those maybes are just as much if not more of an FPS than this game is just from watching the footage. These are just what I could name fyi, there's probably some lesser known ones I missed.

Whether it's a lot for within 3-4 years is subjective, but we certainly haven't been lacking in them imo. I think we are lacking really good ones though.

tuxfool

Banned

There are more. And what makes it somewhat dull is that it is always enter a room, clear stuff out. You could do that with Serious Sam years ago, while having a much more satisfying method of killing mountains of enemies.

Also regardless of what people say, them being roguelikes puts a lot of negatives common with 2d ones, where you're constantly repeating low level mobs to get to the more interesting sections. That they're 3d and fps doesn't fundamentally change the slog.

jtb

Banned
Sounds terrible. Roguelikes are a ton of fun, but genres like FPS that rely heavily on level design and graphical fidelity are horribly suited for random generated content.

Get the feeling they're working on a shoe string budget and this is their way of getting around that.

Give me persistent upgrades like Dead Cells/Rogue Legacy or I don't give a fuck about your roguelike.

(Unlocking items is even worse than no progression at all).

Sande

Eh, roguelite doesn't exactly capture what made Bioshock special.

And it looks really rough based on the trailer.

Spoo

Wait, when did they make a roguelike?

I'm not really up-to-date on what From Soft games are considered; rogue-lite, rogue-like, whatever. I only said it because I think some people use that term in relation to Dark Souls games, and I consume those readily and happily. Disregard if it doesn't fit the definition.

I'm not really up-to-date on what From Soft games are considered; rogue-lite, rogue-like, whatever. I only said it because I think some people use that term in relation to Dark Souls games, and I consume those readily and happily. Disregard if it doesn't fit the definition.

Yeah, whoever you saw use those terms relating to Dark Souls was confused, unless they were discussing Necropolis or something. I see Metroidvania tossed around a lot in relation to the first Dark Souls' world design, however.

BTA

It's kinda bizarre to keep seeing devs from Irrational announce games where their pitch immediately kills the slightest bit of excitement that might generate.

Neat art direction and some very cool gameplay concepts hinted at in the trailer. Could be a lot of fun, though the gameplay looks a bit stiff/clunky.

Kin5290

I'd be interested in the premise (Arabian Nights being underused as a setting) but hard pass on the permadeath and random procedural generation. I feel like those are just used so that developers don't have to bother with hard things like level design.

I think this is a real shame. The title itself sounded interesting and seeing ex-bioshock devs made me think it would be something like a Steampunk Bioshock, and while the actual setting here still sounds sort of interesting and the gameplay itself doesn't look bad, it being a Rougelite just makes it seem pretty wasted and ultimately a bit pointless. I'm alright with Rougelite games and don't have anything against them, but at the same time it's not something that will make me actually want to get it. The procedurally generated levels just makes it even worse to me though, i really don't like it when games use that as pretty much the entire premise as it just makes it all seem sort of throwaway both in terms of the game itself and to my experience of it. That should be used to support an aspect of a game and improve things not something that's tauted as a core feature of a game as if it means something on its own.

Machina

Banned
Roguelite and procedurally generated.

Two words that instantly make me lose interest in any game.

Art style looks pretty cool though.

Yep, I'm sick of it. Procedural generation isn't smart development, it's lazy development

Yep, I'm sick of it. Procedural generation isn't smart development, it's lazy development
One might say that if they don't know about the design and process behind games like Spelunky, Dwarf Fortress, and other games that use procedural generation. It's only "lazy" if it's done poorly, and even then that's poor design, not laziness

I'd be interested in the premise (Arabian Nights being underused as a setting) but hard pass on the permadeath and random procedural generation. I feel like those are just used so that developers don't have to bother with hard things like level design.
Level design is a part of procedural generation. That design is the procedural part

Randomly generated is different

Machina

Banned
One might say that if they don't know about the design and process behind games like Spelunky, Dwarf Fortress, and other games that use procedural generation. It's only "lazy" if it's done poorly, and even then that's poor design, not laziness

Level design is a part of procedural generation. That design is the procedural part

Randomly generated is different

Nah, it's lazy. You don't have to do as much work on assets, you don't have to do as much work on real level design (that being, a world that doesn't feel like boxes attached together by mouse tunnels), it leans very heavily on loot grind as a crutch....I imagine this game in particular will be more in line with the likes of Ziggurat than it would Spelunky

Nah, it's lazy. You don't have to do as much work on assets, you don't have to do as much work on real level design (that being, a world that doesn't feel like boxes attached together by mouse tunnels), it leans very heavily on loot grind as a crutch....I imagine this game in particular will be more in line with the likes of Ziggurat than it would Spelunky
That's like saying using CGI is lazy and easier because you don't have to make miniatures or animatronics. Or doing in an open world is lazy because you dont have design distinct levels

You have to design assets that fit together logically every time and then create systems that fit those elements together in a challenging and cohesive manner. It's like "I'm going to build a diorama" versus "I'm going to build a robot that builds differently themed dioramas"

Also many games, such as Gungeon, Binding, and others, have handcrafted rooms that are simply connected, so there is level design for the individual arenas and areas

You should check out Unexplored, for a roguelike that used a unique procedural generation system to create dungeons that feel natural

Tagyhag

Just for kicks:

Ziggurat
Tower of Guns
Paranautical Activity
STRAFE
Immortal Redneck
Heavy Bullets
Rogue Shooter
WASTED
Eldritch (sorta)
Reciever (sorta)

Sorry, I should have been more specific and say with persistent upgrades. I don't count the ones with just unlockable items as roguelites.

At the end of the day, It's just a roguelike with different items per run.

That said, even if we counted all those, 10 games for years isn't exactly oversaturation.

Stoze

Sorry, I should have been more specific and say with persistent upgrades. I don't count the ones with just unlockable items as roguelites.

At the end of the day, It's just a roguelike with different items per run.

That said, even if we counted all those, 10 games for years isn't exactly oversaturation.
The poster that you quoted who said oversaturation was presumably talking about all the games having the rougelite/like structure, not just FPS titles.

I was just responding to the "name some" part, as if that's hard to do (although apparently you don't count them). I personally don't feel it's oversaturated, and I also only named ones that I've played or know about so it's certainly not only 10.

This isn't necessarily directed at you, but looking at the general reaction in this thread or the handful of other rougelite announcement threads we've seen in the past couple years, I think it would be disingenuous to ignore that a lot of people appear tired of the rougelite/like structure or flat out don't like it regardless of genre. I'm willing to concede that it's an oversaturated design paradigm within the indie scene even though I don't necessarily feel that way myself. Maybe I'm just tired of fighting the fight, I donno.

This isn't necessarily directed at you, but looking at the general reaction in this thread or the handful of other rougelite announcement threads we've seen in the past couple years, I think it would be disingenuous to ignore that a lot of people appear tired of the rougelite/like structure or flat out don't like it regardless of genre. I'm willing to concede that it's an oversaturated design paradigm within the indie scene even though I don't necessarily feel that way myself. Maybe I'm just tired of fighting the fight, I donno.
I kind of feel that it's like someone who only played Tomb Raider, Borderlands, or other games with RPG elements saying they're tired of RPGs. I don't think it's unlikely that some people who say they're tired of roguelikes or roguelites have never actually played a roguelike. In another thread, a poster said he was tired of roguelikes after playing games like Westerado, Rogue Stormers, Crawl (along with Don't Starve, Enter The Gungeon, Bit Dungeon, and some others)

A Dwarf Fortress, Caves of Qud, Dungeonmans, TOME, Nethack, Brogue, or even Spelunky is a very different beast from a Ziggurat or Gungeon.

Looks promising indeed---and ya'll would do best to not sleep on Immortal Redneck(ESPECIALLY Serious Sam fans...) for that matter as it has done quite well for itself in terms of potent post-release support and is, oddly enough, probably the most direct competition City of Brass will have by the time it comes out in terms of polish and all else barring another surprise contender entering the fray.

The likes of this pair, and MOTHERGUNSHIP, strongly indicate a new or second generation of folks taking a crack at this synthesis and doing a FAR better job at the Gestalt than the earliest of titles groping blindly in the dark of the unknown and untrodden which tend to dominate the lists of folks casting blanket dismissals.

ArjanN

Frankly I see roguelite as an excuse to extend the game time by making you replay the same low level content over and over.

I'm tired of indie roguelites..

I see the argument a lot, but I'm not sure that's that's how it actually works, I think it's actually much easier design-wise to slap down one set of linear levels and call it a day.

Top Bottom