• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Ex-Capitol Police Chief Says Pelosi, McConnell’s Sergeants-At-Arms Refused Security Measures While New Timeline Proves ‘Trump Incitement’ Claims Bogus

Dacon

Apr 24, 2011
Houston, Texas

WaPo reported late Sunday night:

Two days before Congress was set to formalize President-elect Joe Biden’s victory, Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund was growing increasingly worried about the size of the pro-Trump crowds expected to stream into Washington in protest.

To be on the safe side, Sund asked House and Senate security officials for permission to request that the D.C. National Guard be placed on standby in case he needed quick backup.

But, Sund said Sunday, they turned him down.

In his first interview since pro-Trump rioters stormed the U.S. Capitol last week, Sund, who has since resigned his post, said his supervisors were reluctant to take formal steps to put the Guard on call even as police intelligence suggested that the crowd President Trump had invited to Washington to protest his defeat probably would be much larger than earlier demonstrations.

House Sergeant at Arms Paul Irving said he wasn’t comfortable with the “optics” of formally declaring an emergency ahead of the demonstration, Sund said. Meanwhile, Senate Sergeant at Arms Michael Stenger suggested that Sund should informally seek out his Guard contacts, asking them to “lean forward” and be on alert in case Capitol Police needed their help.

Irving could not be reached for comment. A cellphone number listed in his name has not accepted messages since Wednesday. Messages left at a residence he owns in Nevada were not immediately returned, and there was no answer Sunday evening at a Watergate apartment listed in his name. A neighbor said he had recently moved out.

Sund recalled a conference call with Pentagon officials and officials from the D.C. government. He said on the call: “I am making an urgent, urgent immediate request for National Guard assistance… I have got to get boots on the ground.”

Yes it's the national pulse but they source WAPO, otherwise I wouldn't even bother with this.

I, don't know what to make of this information. Why would Pelosi and Mitch turn down a request for security when everyone knew there was potential for drama?

ADDENDUM: https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/backup-was-denied-former-capitol-police-chief-says/

Last edited:

CrankyJay™

Oct 25, 2017
If you feel a post/OP is against the rules, please hit the Report Button. However please do not derail the thread with questions on whether the post/OP is against the rules.
I thought conspiracy posts in the politics forum were banned. Why would Pelosi would McConnell potentially put themselves in harms way?

Reactions: Roni and OnionSnake

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018

This is an informative article you should read. The Secretary of Defense or the President has to deploy the DC guard. They're different from typical state national guard units.

There are unconfirmed rumors that the Department of Defense was hesitant to deploy the DC national guard because they are the only guard directly under control of the president, and every living secretary of Defense warned of coup attempts.

The decision to not deploy more troops was clearly a mistake and I'm still waiting on the planning and performance autopsy for details.

Last edited:

CrankyJay™

Oct 25, 2017
How is this conspiracy? This happened.

I dont know why it happened and it's confusing.
Because conspiracy theories use a grain of truth to infer something larger, such as this was possibly a bipartisan effort to make Trump look bad by letting this happen.

Reactions: Redlight

Dacon

Apr 24, 2011
Houston, Texas
Because conspiracy theories use a grain of truth to infer something larger, such as this was possibly a bipartisan effort to make Trump look bad by letting this happen.

Dereliction of duty and carelessness does not a conspiracy make. Don't hurt yourself with that reach.

For all I know the officers in question may have even failed to report the request to Pelosi and Mitch in the first place.

Fact is this happened and it's worth discussion.

Reactions: Ryujin and Hayfield

CrankyJay™

Oct 25, 2017
Dereliction of duty and carelessness does not a conspiracy make. Don't hurt yourself with that reach.

For all I know the officers in question may have even failed to report the request to Pelosi and Mitch in the first place.

Fact is this happened and it's worth discussion.
If this is true, I wouldn’t have resigned then.

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
I thought conspiracy posts in the politics forum were banned. Why would Pelosi would McConnell potentially put themselves in harms way?

if wapo quotes the dc police chief saying something, that's not a conspiracy theory. i believe there's a commission being done on this incident that will answer most, if not all of the questions, people have. everyone who played a part in allowing this to happen needs to face the consequences

CrankyJay™

Oct 25, 2017
if wapo quotes the dc police chief saying something, that's not a conspiracy theory. i believe there's a commission being done on this incident that will answer most, if not all of the questions, people have. everyone who played a part in allowing this to happen needs to face the consequences
Why not just post the WaPo article then?

Reactions: Kev Kev

FunkMiller

Aug 14, 2014
This is addressed in the OP.

There's a link to the original WAPO article in the sites article.

The only reason I posted this link is because I saw it first and went ahead with it, since the original WAPO content is still present.

The information is the WaPo article is different from what’s reported in the Pulse story. Worth noting.

Dacon

Apr 24, 2011
Houston, Texas
The information is the WaPo article is different from what’s reported in the Pulse story. Worth noting.

The only real difference I see are the conclusions drawn.

I have yet to look into the timeline claims to see if there's any validity to that, but that was beside my original interest.

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
The National Guard was being held back by the white house regardless. It does seem arrogant/naive to think it wouldn't be necessary, or to place optics over the reality of the situation.

The timeline argument is bullshit, of course some people were at the Capitol earlier, and the surge that breached the walls arrived as the masses finally came from the rally.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Jun 22, 2004
Scranton, PA

Yes it's the national pulse but they source WAPO, otherwise I wouldn't even bother with this.

I, don't know what to make of this information. Why would Pelosi and Mitch turn down a request for security when everyone knew there was potential for drama?

This is quite the spin.

Suffice it to say, neither Nancy Pelosi nor Mitch McConnell denied support from the DC National Guard.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
Independent investigation into the events of the 6th needs to happen. There are so many unknowns.

Dacon Dacon addt'l source here if you want to update the OP:

Last edited:
Reactions: SF Kosmo and Dacon

FunkMiller

Aug 14, 2014
The only real difference I see are the conclusions drawn.

I have yet to look into the timeline claims to see if there's any validity to that, but that was beside my original interest.

The conclusions that Pelosi or McConnell were in any way involved you mean? 🙄

Dacon

Apr 24, 2011
Houston, Texas
Independent investigation into the events of the 6th needs to happen. There are so many unknowns.

On it

Reactions: Maiden Voyage

tillbot8

Aug 4, 2020
Ive seen this yesterday from Leftists, expect more of this scumbag tactic for anytime something goes against their puritan wrong think standards. Give these brown shirts an inch....well history shows us what happens. Even happened on this exact site before for christs sake!

• Empathy
Reactions: showernota

Dacon

Apr 24, 2011
Houston, Texas
Ive seen this yesterday from Leftists, expect more of this scumbag tactic for anytime something goes against their puritan wrong think standards. Give these brown shirts an inch....well history shows us what happens. Even happened on this exact site before for christs sake!
what

SpartanN92

Sep 7, 2012
Kentucky, it’s not as bad as Australia
So everything you don’t like is a conspiracy post now huh? Give you guys and inch and you take a mile.
Y’all are gonna abuse the shit out of this rule in order to get certain posters banned.

CrankyJay™

Oct 25, 2017
So everything you don’t like is a conspiracy post now huh? Give you guys and inch and you take a mile.
Y’all are gonna abuse the shit out of this rule in order to get certain posters banned.
I'm pretty sure that's up to the moderation team to decide.

CrankyJay™

Oct 25, 2017
So why are you bringing it up then? .....We all know why you little weasel.

Because I can? Agree with it or not. The OP posted a questionable source and even acknowledged it, and used the WaPo link as an excuse to go ahead with it.

I'll call that bullshit out all day long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allforce

tillbot8

Aug 4, 2020
Because I can? Agree with it or not. The OP posted a questionable source and even acknowledged it, and used the WaPo link as an excuse to go ahead with it.

I'll call that bullshit out all day long.
So you defend yourself with a veiled mods halp post. Questionable > Conspiracy. We all know your game, we have seen it too many times before from soy infused beta cucks. Tell us more about how weak you are.

CrankyJay™

Oct 25, 2017
So you defend yourself with a veiled mods halp post. Questionable > Conspiracy. We all know your game, we have seen it too many times before from soy infused beta cucks. Tell us more about how weak you are.
All you're doing is policing my policing. Nice name-calling though, lol.

Reactions: e&e and Allforce

tichamac

Banned
Dec 6, 2020

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
"But aren't conspiracies banned?" hall monitor derails are going to be the norm around here for a while, huh?

This forum has a report button. If you think something is breaking the rules and it bothers you that much, why not use it and let the mods sort it out?

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020

Yeah, we really need a congressional hearing and investigation. It's possible it was incompetence/arrogance, but if it ties back to the white house that's something the people need to know.

SpartanN92

Sep 7, 2012
Kentucky, it’s not as bad as Australia
"But aren't conspiracies banned?" hall monitor derails are going to be the norm around here for a while, huh?

This forum has a report button. If you think something is breaking the rules and it bothers you that much, why not use it and let the mods sort it out?
The problem is who decides what the conspiracies are?
These damn Reeeeturners are gonna make it any source that isn’t MSNBC/CNN and any store that is remotely positive for President Trump.

Ornlu

Banned
Oct 31, 2018

Sounds like you're floating the conspiracy theory that the poster you've quoted was inferring something larger.
No, we just get to endure the bullshit notion that Trump didn’t incite this as a bonus.
Sounds like another conspiracy theory!

blinking trailer park boys GIF

OrtizTwelve

Aug 11, 2020
USA
I can't believe we have continual nonsense trying to deflect blame away from Trump and therefore create more conspiracy theories. So much delusion and mental illness going on here.

No, Trump didn't directly plan and orchestrate what occurred at the capitol. But his continued nonsense and lies over the past few months indirectly fanned the flames for his already cuckoo base to snap and conduct themselves like animals.

What occurred that day is unacceptable regardless of party affiliation and cause. That's the kind of stuff that happens in banana republics.

tillbot8

Aug 4, 2020
I can't believe we have continual nonsense trying to deflect blame away from Trump and therefore create more conspiracy theories. So much delusion and mental illness going on here.

No, Trump didn't directly plan and orchestrate what occurred at the capitol. But his continued nonsense and lies over the past few months indirectly fanned the flames for his already cuckoo base to snap and conduct themselves like animals.

What occurred that day is unacceptable regardless of party affiliation and cause. That's the kind of stuff that happens in banana republics.
So you admit he didnt incite it.. but you 'FEEL' like he did. Banana republics bend over for the dictator, the opposite is happening here.The right is held to a higher standard then the left objectively (goes to show how little the Left think of themselves). What occurred last Summer was also unacceptable but nothing happened, what changed?

• Fire
Reactions: Ornlu

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006

Yes, leftists never stormed legislatures before. Certainly not in the past 4 years.

rorepmE

Jan 20, 2019
Republic of Val Verde

In system of law/criminal justice, criminal intent is needed.

That's why someone driving down the freeway over the speed limit while live streaming to facebook isn't going to be charged with murder if they end up killing someone (and assuming they live themselves). Despite the possible deadly out come.

Reactions: infinitys_7th

NeilH1982

Jul 9, 2019

Instead of all jumping on this poster just report him for moderation. Weaponising the new rule is an actionable offense. He'll get a warning and hopefully learn his lesson

Reactions: Slings and Arrows

Arkam

Jan 21, 2012
Here, Now and maybe later
Yeah, we really need a congressional hearing and investigation. It's possible it was incompetence/arrogance, but if it ties back to the white house that's something the people need to know.

What? So its only worth knowing if Trump is to blame? Is that really what you mean? I would like to believe it is either important and worth investing or it is not, regardless of responsible party.
And not sure how anyone can say that Congressional hearings or "investigation" will help (anything but political partisanship) with a straight face? The last decade should make that painfully clear to even a passing observer.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Dang, a page full of screeching "conspiracy" in light of the new rule change.

Gettin easier to see who the sycophants are. But surely this will improve Politics board and encourage quality conversation on current events.

Every thread on a story now has the first page taken up with troglodytes screeching about it being a "conspiracy theory".

Reactions: Arkam

e&e

Nov 17, 2020
So you admit he didnt incite it.. but you 'FEEL' like he did. Banana republics bend over for the dictator, the opposite is happening here.The right is held to a higher standard then the left objectively (goes to show how little the Left think of themselves). What occurred last Summer was also unacceptable but nothing happened, what changed?
Read properly.

Also, POTUS incited the riot on Wednesday! Donating more to him will help him more than what you are doing here.