• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex PlayStation America Boss Says Sony Is Well Positioned for Next-Gen but Will Face Exponentially Greater Competition

@SonGoku technically Xbox was most powerful but it couldn't reach its full potential due to lack of memory bandwidth and slow front side bus.

GameCube had the better looking exclusives overall except Xbox had better image quality, due to GameCube only having 2mb for its framebuffer ; games have a slightly dithered look.

Games wise we can sit here and argue all day but the superior RE4, thousand year door, f zero gx (best racing game ever), metroid prime and echoes, twilight princess, luigis mansion - those were just a few I could mention and ill never get tired of playing them
And Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes, Skies of Arcadia (though DC version was better), Eternal Earkness, Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, REmake... God, I love that little cube.

I think the only negative I could ever level against it, is the goddamn price of its component cable (though, that's not against the hardware itself).

Dante83

Banned
Sony may be at a disadvantage actually.
-Anti-consumer practices
-PSN is still not as smooth and has slow download speeds
-Still seems hesitant on cross-play
-Their next gen console may be weaker
-Exclusives may not be as rampant, and MS is catching up and nintendo has great exclusives
-Nintendo and MS will be more competitive, and sony can't go by them screwing up anymore(wii u and DRM)
-3rd parties seem not too pleased with their recent policies and may favour MS and nintendo more.

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
-Anti-consumer practices
-Exclusives may not be as rampant, and MS is catching up and nintendo has great exclusives
-Nintendo and MS will be more competitive, and sony can't go by them screwing up anymore(wii u and DRM)
-3rd parties seem not too pleased with their recent policies and may favour MS and nintendo more.
Nah sony will hardly lose users due to the high amounts of digital purchases PSN users made. With PS5, already PS4 backwards compatibility announced. It's unlikely people will leave their PSN game library behind.

II_JumPeR_I

Really excited for MS to leave the bad image of XboxOne behind them and start fresh with a clear message, great hardware, options and of course a lot of great games :)

The inclusion of 3d sound makes me happy I purchased the Platinum PS4 Headphone 7.1/3d audio headphones. Also I read that while you compute ray tracing you can take that data and make more realistic sound echos. So ray tracing is also gonna improve our audio in games which is pretty cool.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but this expensive proprietary headset will be redundant on PS5. It was a rip-off on Sony's part and they don't even support it properly (few games, unfixed bugs).

3D audio on PS5 will work with regular stereo headphones. It should have been like that since the PS4:

Very few people will remember this: https://archive.org/stream/NextGeneration34Oct1997/Next_Generation_34_Oct_1997#page/n23/mode/2up

Aintitcool

Banned
Sorry to rain on your parade, but this expensive proprietary headset will be redundant on PS5. It was a rip-off on Sony's part and they don't even support it properly (few games, unfixed bugs).

3D audio on PS5 will work with regular stereo headphones. It should have been like that since the PS4:

Very few people will remember this: https://archive.org/stream/NextGeneration34Oct1997/Next_Generation_34_Oct_1997#page/n23/mode/2up
Nah the PS4 Platinum headset does what the new Dolby Audio 3d does and it gives you audio positioning above and below you. Uncharted 4 does the best use of it. And no the headset won't be redundant because it has hardware that outputs the 3d audio more accurately than stereo. Sony made previous headsets crossgen compatible. (Gold and Ps3 headsets work on both)

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
-Anti-consumer practices

None of that stuff matters, if it did sales would have already went down. Even though I don't agree with any of the stuff you are putting down, not one of those things are actually the truth of Sony or the market.
The Switch is selling very well, the PS4 is selling very well although their will be weakness in 2019 as new hardware get announced. Xbox as a Hardware is on the way out, although there will most probably be a Xbox Next. I expect Xbox as a Hardware to continue to go down at a steady rate. What you are witnessing is consolidation of the dedicated gaming hardware segment, very similar to mobile went from Blackberry, Windows Mobile, iOS and Android (2010) -> just iOS/Android (2019).

The console warz are basically over, consolidation is taking place. I'm taking Xbox as a Hardware sales to be sub-6m units, if Microsoft announces new hardware and the ability to play Xbox games on PC, I would probably go with under 5m units.

Last edited:
Nah the PS4 Platinum headset does what the new Dolby Audio 3d does and it gives you audio positioning above and below you. Uncharted 4 does the best use of it. And no the headset won't be redundant because it has hardware that outputs the 3d audio more accurately than stereo. Sony made previous headsets crossgen compatible. (Gold and Ps3 headsets work on both)
Not sure if you understood my point. Cerny has made it very clear that regular stereo headsets will work exactly like the Platinum headset does on PS4 and it will be a baseline feature in every PS5 game (just like PSVR).

3D audio simulates positional audio on a stereo headset. Your Platinum headset only has 2 speakers, hence it's stereo. True surround headsets cost a lot more.

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
Not sure if you understood my point. Cerny has made it very clear that regular stereo headsets will work exactly like the Platinum headset does on PS4 and it will be a baseline feature in every PS5 game (just like PSVR).

3D audio simulates positional audio on a stereo headset. Your Platinum headset only has 2 speakers, hence it's stereo. True surround headsets cost a lot more.
It has 2 special speakers.

It has 2 special speakers.
No, they're regular stereo speakers. Nothing fancy about them. :) It's the DSP tech on the USB dongle that does all the magic. PS5 will have it integrated in the APU (even though PS4 APU also had TrueAudio DSP).

I bought 2 of them in fact, I sold the first one due to buzzing noise (which Sony never officially acknowledged).

And Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes, Skies of Arcadia (though DC version was better), Eternal Earkness, Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, REmake... God, I love that little cube.

I think the only negative I could ever level against it, is the goddamn price of its component cable (though, that's not against the hardware itself).
Luckily Wii component cables were ez to get. Still use it for cube games on my current tv with the monster cables

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think this gen is the gen that solidified both companies user bases. Like if I bought a crapton of games on the Playstation and tryna consider what system to buy, my library alone dictates that Sony is the system I will buy next gen. It would take a monumental fuck up or some crazy value from Xbox to make me switch.

Because of this, I believe a smart move for either company to make would be to create some type of transfer program. Kinda like what cell phone companies do, to lure gamers to their side. Problem is, I just don't think this is possible the way things are structured digitally right now. I'm sure some egghead can figure it out, but I just don't see it happening.

Also Jack Trenton > Shawn Layden.

Jack gave less PR talk and actually makes sense when he speaks. Shawn Layden...I dunno...he just makes me cringe when he releases statements. Like I wonder how he got where he is right now. I'm sure he deserves it...but I just don't know how it happened.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
He's not wrong. Sony doesn't have the luxury of capitalizing on a floundering Nintendo and Microsoft this time, so they do need to be careful not to get cocky. I think they can pull it off, but I like to keep my options open, so we'll see what happens.

How was MS floundering last time? Why do people always make excuses when Sony sells the most consoles during a console cycle?

Aintitcool

Banned
No, they're regular stereo speakers. Nothing fancy about them. :) It's the DSP tech on the USB dongle that does all the magic. PS5 will have it integrated in the APU (even though PS4 APU also had TrueAudio DSP).

I bought 2 of them in fact, I sold the first one due to buzzing noise (which Sony never officially acknowledged).
I've been living a lie.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
How was MS floundering last time? Why do people always make excuses when Sony sells the most consoles during a console cycle?
I don't think anybody's making excuses for PS2. PS3 made a comeback due to some very smart decisions, including ridding the system of BC to make it cheaper. PS4 had more power at a better price and the best exclusives. It didn't hurt that Microsoft shot themselves in the foot with a less powerful, more expensive and strictly anti consumer offering on it's reveal.

Microsoft has changed though...they've even admitted they had to go through a type of renaissance to bring them to where they are now. It should be commended because things like Game Pass would not exist unless that happened. The studios acquisitions would not have happened. Phil Spencer would not have happened. All these things culminate into a net positive...objectively so and it makes me excited to see what's in store for next gen.

These feel more like reasons, rather than excuses. The weight people put to each reason is what seems to be the symptom of biased opinion.

mckmas8808

I don't think anybody's making excuses for PS2. PS3 made a comeback due to some very smart decisions, including ridding the system of BC to make it cheaper. PS4 had more power at a better price and the best exclusives. It didn't hurt that Microsoft shot themselves in the foot with a less powerful, more expensive and strictly anti consumer offering on it's reveal.

Microsoft has changed though...they've even admitted they had to go through a type of renaissance to bring them to where they are now. It should be commended because things like Game Pass would not exist unless that happened. The studios acquisitions would not have happened. Phil Spencer would not have happened. All these things culminate into a net positive...objectively so and it makes me excited to see what's in store for next gen.

These feel more like reasons, rather than excuses. The weight people put to each reason is what seems to be the symptom of biased opinion.

Good point. For some reason some people find it hard to just give credit to the smart decisions that Sony has made collectively when it comes to the console business over the last 25 years. They sell about 100 million units per generation for 25 straight years, what point should we all just assume that Sony kinda has this console thing figured out?

We've done that with MS when it comes to making computer operating systems and we've done it with Nintendo when it comes to making first-party video games. Shouldn't we do the same thing for Sony when they are creating a console?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Good point. For some reason some people find it hard to just give credit to the smart decisions that Sony has made collectively when it comes to the console business over the last 25 years. They sell about 100 million units per generation for 25 straight years, what point should we all just assume that Sony kinda has this console thing figured out?

We've done that with MS when it comes to making computer operating systems and we've done it with Nintendo when it comes to making first-party video games. Shouldn't we do the same thing for Sony when they are creating a console?

Yea absolutely. Each of the big 3 has it's specialty, be it gaming related or not. It's why it's important to recognize the strengths and to cheer on the race for all the competitors, because right now there are a bunch more trying to jump in to capitalize when they honestly have little justification for being here. Google, Amazon, fricking Verizon? These are companies that don't have the passion needed to hold a place here. Their spirit is not in gaming....it's in money. So fuck all of them simultaneously and equivalently with fervor.

Klayzer

I

I've come to the conclusion on this board that the Sony/Xbox fanbases will not give credit to either, even if its obvious. Somehow it seems every positive decision made is because one or the other botched some past decision.

mckmas8808

I
I've come to the conclusion on this board that the Sony/Xbox fanbases will not give credit to either, even if its obvious. Somehow it seems every positive decision made is because one or the other botched some past decision.

LOL! Exactly.

DanielsM

Banned
Sony dominated this gen..... I just hoping xbox comes out swinging hard next gen and actually competes. competition is always good for us gamers.

You have all types of competition though... smart phones/mobile devices (android/ios), PCs with all types of game stores, Macs, game streaming services, web browser gaming, nintendo, etc. I see nothing wrong with competition but there needs to be consolidation in the dedicated gaming hardware market, which is what we are witnessing. Competition can be good, but this usually leads to consolidation.

Do we really need or want 50 different PC software stores? No.

Did we really need 4 different mobile Operating Systems? No, two is enough.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
You have all types of competition though... smart phones/mobile devices (android/ios), PCs with all types of game stores, Macs, game streaming services, web browser gaming, nintendo, etc. I see nothing wrong with competition but there needs to be consolidation in the dedicated gaming hardware market, which is what we are witnessing. Competition can be good, but this usually leads to consolidation.

Do we really need or want 50 different PC software stores? No.

Did we really need 4 different mobile Operating Systems? No, two is enough.
Its so hard for PC gamers i wish they went back to Dos.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Kojima > any of these guys mentioned in the topic.

In my opinion, Phil Spencer is up there with Yoshi P as far as taking a complete dumpster fire and turning it into something awesome.

Edit: For those who don't know, Yoshi P created FFXIV: A Realm Reborn.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

I guess you don't remember the disastrous Xbox One pre-launch with its proposed draconian rights management and always-online, omnipresent Kinect requirements that turned many people off, making them look like Asshats as Sony took advantage of the situation. Let's be honest here, A LOT of Sony's success with the PS4 was practically given to them on a silver platter.

Last edited:

scalman

there must be competition or there wont be better products out there. so they should fear some of that and try to be better in those cases we win anyway

DanielsM

Banned
I guess you don't remember the disastrous Xbox One pre-launch with its proposed draconian rights management and always-online, omnipresent Kinect requirements that turned many people off, making them look like Asshats as Sony took advantage of the situation. Let's be honest here, A LOT of Sony's success with the PS4 was practically given to them on a silver platter.

Most of Microsoft's issue with Xbox actually started back in 2007. They had spent billions to beat Sony to the punch in 2006-2007, the Wii came out a year later and took a good portion of the market with basically two Gamecubes ducked together. Lots of red ink for Microsoft... billions in losses from original Xbox through Xbox 360. Microsoft started to change direction to go after the "casual" gamers", this is when they started closing studios and eventually they had their remaining studios focus in on Kinect by 2009ish.

Actually, you are incorrect though, the Xbox One was actually selling its first two years, you're implying the pre-launch did them in but the data doesn't support that, imo. Xbox has been in a dlown slope for about 8-9 years. But all this console warz stuff is coming to an end.

Xbox-Death-Slide1.png

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Actually, you are incorrect though, the Xbox One was actually selling its first two years, you're implying the pre-launch did them in but the data doesn't support that, imo. But all this console warz stuff is coming to an end.

Of course, the Xbox One did manage to pull itself together enough in time for launch. But it's hard to argue that the disasterous reveal and PR for the system prior to that did a lot of damage to its reputation and thus gave Sony the head-start.

DanielsM

Banned
Of course, the Xbox One did manage to pull itself together enough in time for launch. But it's hard to argue that the disasterous reveal and PR for the system prior to that did a lot of damage to its reputation and thus gave Sony the head-start.

True, but the same could be said of the PS3/Xbox 360 era. I mean, no doubt Sony made mistakes that lead to them losing market share, they corrected those mistakes for the most part. People just aren't going to flip flop back in forth unless someone goofs. As far as Microsoft and Xbox at this point, Xbox as a Hardware is basically over, whether or not Microsoft can turn it into a Service Platform is not known... my guess is no, but we shall see. Consolidation of the dedicated gaming device market is here and now. I had an original Xbox on or around launch day, I still own two. I owned a Xbox 360 near launch days (I actually have owned four, but two RROD, still own 2), I actually am typing on a Microsoft Surface 3, I have a Windows Phone Lumia 640 next too me, I support Microsoft products for a living, in part.

Will I ever flip back to Microsoft for any type of consumer gaming hardware or service platform? Nope.

The existing Xbox users need to come to grips with what is coming down the pike. If Microsoft wants to release software or games on my platform of choice, I'm all ears but they've basically made their own bed when it comes to the consumer market, generally speaking.

Microsoft is the only competition. Nintendo is doing well but in their own bubble as usual. Look at the current gen third party for example MK11 on the Switch. Night and day difference. That will be even more apparent once next gen PS and Xbox arrive. Switch is selling well but is also a 2 year old console.

There is absolutely nothing for a user to go to Switch when the next gen rolls out. Its a successful Nintendo console but has no place or chance with the two titans about to arrive. The big hits are already out....zelda, mario, smash bros, yoshi...its gonna be a nice and cheap system to get on the side but i see no obvious option for it to take out a piece of the sales cake for MS and SONY or pose any threat.

Most average consumers don't care about having the best graphics. Only hardcore gamers do, & it's smaller than casuals.

It's the games that matters.

CyberPanda

Banned
Most average consumers don't care about having the best graphics. Only hardcore gamers do, & it's smaller than casuals.

Are you telling me currently Nintendo has better games than PS4? I mean yes the new systems will have top end graphics but N cant even compete with the current gen, let alone next gen.

People do buy Nintendo for the games and not for the tech, that is true. But those are strictly Nintendo fans. There is triple the size of casuals on xbox and PlayStation.

Are you telling me currently Nintendo has better games than PS4? I mean yes the new systems will have top end graphics but N cant even compete with the current gen, let alone next gen.

People do buy Nintendo for the games and not for the tech, that is true. But those are strictly Nintendo fans. There is triple the size of casuals on xbox and PlayStation.

I'm just saying. If graphics were the case, either N64 or Sega Saturn would've won over the PS1.

Gamecube or Xbox would've won over the PS2.

PS3 & Xbox 360 would've won over the Wii.

Plus saying that people are going to stop buying the Switch because of PS5 & Xbox 4 having better graphics, is ridiculous. There might be exclusives from the Switch that people will enjoy among other things.

Both PS5 & Xbox 4 will no doubt have cross-gen games with PS4 & Xbox One over the next few years (& most of the games will no doubt be developed with PS4 & Xbox One in mind until both PS5 & Xbox 4 have a significant install base to help offset development costs on games) & possibly higher price tags than $400.

Last edited:

xool

Most of Microsoft's issue with Xbox actually started back in 2007. They had spent billions to beat Sony to the punch in 2006-2007, the Wii came out a year later and took a good portion of the market with basically two Gamecubes ducked together. Lots of red ink for Microsoft... billions in losses from original Xbox through Xbox 360. Microsoft started to change direction to go after the "casual" gamers", this is when they started closing studios and eventually they had their remaining studios focus in on Kinect by 2009ish.

Actually, you are incorrect though, the Xbox One was actually selling its first two years, you're implying the pre-launch did them in but the data doesn't support that, imo. Xbox has been in a dlown slope for about 8-9 years. But all this console warz stuff is coming to an end.

Xbox-Death-Slide1.png

That's an interesting graph - but it just doesn't show a "death slide" (the second graph shows what is actually happening on the first) - what I see is 360 mirroring PS3 its entire life pretty much 1:1 and XONE mirroring PS4 but at a lower ratio of ~1:2 up to present.. There's no point where that changes in the graph. [I see a deviation with XONE start around 2015 with PS4 widening the 1:2 gap]

(so the so-called death slide is the change from last to current gen, and MS's market share dropping from ~50% to ~30% - the slide is from the overlap of two gens - starting 2013)

I mostly agree with your first paragraph - but what I think the data shows is just how 360 (late gen) & XONE (entire gen) have survived pretty well on third party.

Last edited:

xool

As far as Microsoft and Xbox at this point, Xbox as a Hardware is basically over

I really don't think.

This gen MS got nearly 50% market share in North America, basically for just taking part (the PS4 sales figures become greater when including "Rest of World" [EU/JP/etc] ) .. whether those NA XONE's are being used is another question.

So for putting out a second rate console at near cost price they got 10s of millions of users. And every time those users buy a game, either physical or digital, MS gets a cut. If it's third party MS gets a cut for basically doing nothing.

They're going to stay in that (hardware) game, because it prints money - and they'll certainly try harder this time too. I didn't even include the XboxLive money etc that mostly relies on Xbox console users.

As an analogy - selling consoles is like selling someone a house, then charging them to live in it. As a business plan it's a fantasy come true.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Can they get their AAA games ready for launch? Everyone is already stating PS5 as the greatest, so as far as I can see next gen is wide open, this time Microsoft knows it's mistakes, and I love Nintendo's momentum with the Switch.

Top Bottom