• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ex-THQ franchises - 1000 days later

prudislav

So recent replay of Darskiders 2 Deathinitive got me thinking again about what happened to all THQ franchises since than.
So I made this Summary of companies and ex-THX franchises and what they did with them:

Crytek
  • Crytek USA( ex-Vigil) - created to work on Homefront 2, but that was pushed to Crytek UK instead , studio almost dissolved and now serves as US support for CryEngine ,their Hunt game is most likely dead, some remnants founded Gunfire studios

Koch/Deep Silver
  • Metro series - so far they released great Redux remasters of both games and there are rumorus of new entry in development in 4A
  • Saints Row series+Volition - they revived the "Enther the dominatrix" DLC project and turned it into full-on sequel, they also released smaller demonic spin-off, no news on what's next
  • Homefront franchise - Deep Silver took over development of Homefront 2 after Crytek's failure , developed by Dambuster studios (ex FreeRadical / ex Crytek UK)

Sega
  • CoH franchise + Relic - live and well, released CoH2 and currently doing their 5-year dlc/support plan for that game, W40k:DoW3 rumoured for quite a long time

Take 2
  • Evolve - helped the Turtle-Rock to finish the game , future of the series unknown , 2K views it as "pernament franchise", but average 400 players on steam isnt that optimistic
  • WWE series - releasing on yearly basis with mediocre quality , 2015 was the first appearance on Steam

Ubisoft
  • South Park RPG series - helped Obsidian to finish the game after various problems, now developing sequel on its own San Fransisco Studio - no news since the reveal
    Patrice Désilets' amsterdam 1666 project - possibly dead with P.D. leaving Ubi and doing Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey

Gearbox
  • Homeworld series - released great remaster for original 2 games, and got the Hardware: Shipbreakers project from original HW devs under their wings and will release it as Homeworld: Shipbreakers

Nordic Games
  • Darksiders series - got remastered for NextGen as Dathinitive edition , developed by Gunfire studios(ex-Vigil/ex-CrytekUS), Nordic wants to evaluate franchise for sequel potential
  • Red Faction series - Guerilla got steamworks treatment by Volition , which removed GfwL and further patched the game, nothing else since then
  • MX vs. ATV series - MX vs. ATV Unleashed got revieved on steam, There is mediocre Supercross Encore sequel ,which got finally released after various problems. Most likely dead from now on
  • Titan Quest series - Nordic promised to do similar treatment Red Faction got (steamworks implementation and revive MP) , was in sequel talks with Crate (ex- Iron lore, Grim Dawn devs ) - went nowhere , team is busy
  • Impossible Creatures series - old relic series , recently revived for new systems on steam, Nordic wants to evaluate franchise for sequel potential
  • Summoner series - Summoner 1 revived on steam in 2014, but has various issues, no plans for Summoner 2 (lost source code), no news since then
  • Juiced series - not real news , rumours for steam re-appearance
  • Destroy All Humans! series - no real news
  • Panzer Elite series - Panzer Elite Action was re-released as Gold edition on steam in 2014, nothing else since then
  • Full Spectrum Warrior series - no real news
  • De Blob series - no real news
  • bunch of smaller series with no real news

all in all some got nice development and some seems to be forgotten. Nordic games got quite a lot of them and so far they started to do the full-on sequels for their ex-JoWood franchises (Aquanox 3, The guild 3, Spellforce 3 or port/remaster of Legend of Kay) so I am pretty sure they will start doing ex-THQ franchises aswell.

What you thing will happen next with some of those franchises?

When did Crytek USA work on Homefront 2?

I thought it was always Crytek UK (ex-Free Radical) and then they got bought by Deep Silver and were renamed Deep Silver Dambuster?

prudislav

my bad got it messed up
Crytek USA was created to work on it, but Crytek for some reason pushed it to UK instead ;-) fixed now

FelipeMGM

Ubisoft also got the ''amsterdam 1666'' project from Patrice Désilets who was working at THQ at that moment. They also got one other IP which we know nothing about it I think.

TI82

Banned
Metro series - so far they released great Redux remasters of both games and there are rumorus of new entry in development in 4A

Hope Nordic brings Destroy All Humans and Red Faction Guerrilla sequels to life

I didn't know Nordic bought the Destroy All Humans property. I really hope they do something with that, I loved the first two games when I was a kid.

Some of this stuff is not getting treated well. Deep Silver hired High Voltage to do a terrible port of Saints Row 4 for PS4 and Xbox One, and Ubisoft censored South Park in Europe for no reason.

prudislav

By no real news are you implying there are rumors without base? Would like to see it
no real news means that i didn't noticed any information about these franchises apart from "we are evaluating what to do with acquired franchises" we got back in 2013

bjaelke

Our general rule is that every game that does well will be closely evaluated for a sequel. I think the Impossible Creatures mechanic is quite great and would do well in a modern RTS but first lets see how Impossible Creatures Steam Edition does for us.
Go buy it so they can make a sequel.

40% off @ Steam

FelipeMGM

Wait OP, we dont know if 1666 is dead after Désilets departure. Didnt he made an interview saying that he was fighting Ubi for the IP? If Ubisoft is still holding on to it, might not be dead after all.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
But what about Rugrats?

What about Rocket Power!?

FelipeMGM said:
Wait OP, we dont know if 1666 is dead after Désilets departure. Didnt he made an interview saying that he was fighting Ubi for the IP?

Even if that's the case, right now it's "dead" in the water. There's no chance of it releasing for the next 1-5 years.

Jeremy

Maybe they're taking some time to distance themselves from former games so they can reboot the series as a method to not be so confined to trying to rebuild someone else's formula.

Timeless

Hope De Blob gets some attention. I LOVED the 2 games THQ published.
The de Blob series is great. I've been hoping for a port of de Blob 1 to somewhere other than the Wii for a while now. I feel it wasn't taken seriously there (plus the controls weren't great).

trugc

Crytek USA had nothing to do with Homefornt 2. Crytek UK(now DS Dambuster) was the only major developer since 2011.

Hunt is now being developed by Crytek Frankfurt.

Summoner

So recent replay of Darskiders 2 Deathinitive got me thinking again about what happened to all THQ franchises since than.
So I made this Summary of companies and ex-THX franchises and what they did with them:........

Nordic Games

[*] Summoner series - Summoner 1 revived on steam in 2014, but has various issues, no plans for Summoner 2 (lost source code), no news since then....
frustratedp.gif

Lime

I'm really happy and satisfied with the outcome of Homeworld. Remastered audio, better graphics, a thick high quality hardcover artbook. It was really amazing to have that released

Top Bottom