• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-Windows Phone Software Engineer working on Next-Gen Nintendo Consoles.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Via Wario64

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/lu-yang/6/596/2ba

b5qwMTv.png

I don't know if it was any significance that someone who used to primarily work on Mobile is now working on Nintendo's next platforms, but I thought it was interesting.

Kieli

They're always testing/designing/blueprinting next-gen stuff.

Edit: Oh, you want to emphasize the mobile aspect of lead engineer. I see.

hey guys, did you know that NoA is literally a one minute walk from Microsoft campus? You could go from playing soccer on the Microsoft campus to playing soccer of the NoA campus in just one minute!

eek5

I mean, he engineers tools used in testing, integration, scaling.. creating unit tests and stuff like that so it's kind of divorced from the actual platform. I doubt Nintendo hired him specifically because he worked on mobile. Congrats to him on becoming principal though.. must be pretty nice raise he got lol

When I saw his name, I thought Liu Kang lol.

Edit: bros, he's a Quality Engineer. Basically a QA tester with more programming involved for building test automation.

i don't want to thread-whine, but is this supposed to be something that's even worth mentioning?

it's the same industry. people always go from one company to another. if one person worked at a qa analyst position from a startup and moved to a multinational company to work on network systems, does that mean he will instead perform his older tasks or demonstrate his older company's values or will his new job "suffer" because of his older work? the person takes his/her experience to perform at his/her new job.

i just don't like the idea of (even though linkedin profiles are public) posting information about a person just because they moved from one company to another, especially if the person isn't put out there as a promoter of the product, or just to make a mountain out of a normal, regular flat land.

atbigelow

Nintendo has been using ARM chips for a long time, so no surprises about that. What might be interesting is that this guy worked on a multi-tasking and overall slick mobile OS. Depends on where his strengths are.

Also his degree is in electrical engineering, so it might be lower-level stuff than typical API development.

jeffers

Yeah, this is actually true. They are literally within walking distance.

you're saying 1 minute is literally within walking distance?! :p

i don't want to thread-whine, but is this supposed to be something that's even worth mentioning?

it's the same industry. people always go from one company to another. if one person worked at a qa analyst position from a startup and moved to a multinational company to work on network systems, does that mean he will instead perform his older tasks or demonstrate his older company's values or will his new job "suffer" because of his older work? the person takes his/her experience to perform at his/her new job.

i just don't like the idea of (even though linkedin profiles are public) posting information about a person just because they moved from one company to another, especially if the person isn't put out there as a promoter of the product, or just to make a mountain out of a normal, regular flat land.

bloggers gotta blog.

Putting my nephew through the paces with Ocarina of Time, My young bro beat the game when he was 12 so its only right that this dude start from it. Lets hope Nintendo can come back with magic

Orayn

It's about as bad as people who assume that a developer who worked on one game will automatically bring every one of that game's qualities to a new project.

But yeah, as EmptySpace said, it's reaching to infer much significance of this knowing only the new and old job descriptions.

EDIT: This is what I'm talking about

Aaargh! Nooooo!

Everything forced into a Metro UI incoming....

Assuming it's not sarcastic, I really don't like the assumption that one person out of dozens or hundreds will have that sort of effect.

Jonnax

So what I wanna know is if a Snapdragon 810 or something in the near future is more powerful than a Wii U. If it is, then we don't need to worry about a mobilelike console.

So what I wanna know is if a Snapdragon 810 or something in the near future is more powerful than a Wii U. If it is, then we don't need to worry about a mobilelike console.

Yes. But don't expect more than 2 hours of battery life in these conditions.

Blanquito

So... A test engineer... Not sure how much input a test engineer has on the system. Generally test engineers test things that others build or are building, if you haven't gathered that already. Though that does vary company to company

antonz

Platform tools means he isn't working on the OS or anything like that. He is helping to develop the things that are supposed to make working on the platforms easier which has always been an issue with Nintendo.

They can do crazy stuff with their own stuff and are sometimes very hesitant to share that knowledge. Hopefully the tools being developed are a huge step up over the past which would certainly ingratiate themselves with developers more

Circinus

I don't really see how this is news worthy to be honest? A software engineer can write and design software/tools regardless of platform.

KingV

I used to do marketing research at a major bank, now I do marketing research work at a major food manufacturer.

We haven't opened a bank yet.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I used Windows Phone 7 back in the day and I was blown away by how buttery smooth and responsive it was on outdated hardware (single-core Snapdragon S1 + 512 MB Ram, vs dual-core + 1 GB RAM for a typical high-end Android phone).

Sounds like exactly the type of software Nintendo could use.

It is interesting that it says current (Wii U) and next gen consoleS. Not that it's any secret. Just more confirmation that the handheld and console are more related. Or not. Idk.

Top Bottom