• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examiner Rumor: Xbox One GPU upclock yay - 12 GB Ram probably nay (source is NOT B3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The increase has been a reality since before the reveal, as they have "been reacting to Sony ever since the first leaks of both systems." The news of this bump in clock speed was announced to first parties only, as they "actively spread disinformation to 3rd parties just before reveal to prevent leaks."

Pure fantasy land!

Why didn't they announce the 12gb RAM 1 month ago at E3, or have they decided and changed it in the last month?

Perkel

Banned
Would be amazing if that source would be B3D juniors from MS thread. (this rumor started @ B3D and later it gone to Examiner)

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
If this is the case then wouldn't they up the CPU also? Like it's 800mhz/ 1.6ghz (GPU/ CPU clockspeeds) now, so for optimal balance it should be 1ghz/ 2ghz after the bump. Oh well it probably is a load of bollocks anyway.

Alx

The news of this bump in clock speed was announced to first parties only, as they "actively spread disinformation to 3rd parties just before reveal to prevent leaks."

I'm not sure how third parties would like that... although hiding specs upgrades from them would be a good surprise rather than a bad one ; but since they're spending time and money on optimizing things on the specs they have, they would have reasons to complain.

tzare

good news if true, but some gaffers said the difference in power and available ram for games wasn't important and would not show in games, so why bother then ?

Nachtmaer

If this is the case then wouldn't they up the CPU also? Like it's 800mhz/ 1.6ghz (GPU/ CPU clockspeeds) now, so for optimal balance it should be 1ghz/ 2ghz after the bump. Oh well it probably is a load of bollocks anyway.

Clock regions aren't necessarily tied together. Current AMD APUs have separate ones as well.

Oublieux

Um, wow. Aren't they using a decade old engine?

Modified decade old engine. Just because the foundation is old doesn't mean anything. Look at Call of Duty's use of the base Quake 3 engine--I know people mock Activision for it but there comes a certain point where an engine is so heavily modified it's nothing like the original. Hell, in the depths of Photoshop lies a MacApp framework which originally let Photoshop communicate with Mac OS back in the day.

Feindflug

Are these changes realistically possible at this point? if yes that's definitely good news for everyone, they need to do something about the amount of ram available to games...the 3gb OS footprint is ridiculous.

The Xbone continues to look like a mess lacking focus and vision, after two greatly designed and powerful consoles it's weird to see MS struggling with Xbone's hardware.

absolutely, a lower GPU is possible, but higher is impossible

/sarcasm
Late downclocks due to yield or reliability issues are more plausible than late upclocks despite potential yield or reliability issues purely for some sort of dick measuring exercise. Late downclocks have occurred before, I'm not sure what examples of late upclocks there are.

Supposing is true.Who says Sony hasn´t made the same?. In fact they were the first that talked publicly about GPU specs just after Hirai saying "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?".
This just tells me they talked so openly about their GPU speed because they had room to improve it, or to cheat MS as they knew they would go for a clock higher than 800MHz.

Eusis

If this isn't garbage then I can't possibly imagine this going well at all before launch. It's kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Hanmik

I would if there were any. Also, laptops don't need to be talked to in order to turn them on.

so I guess you do not own a Vita.. I´m so afraid every time I use my Vita, I actually try to look my best, because it could happen that they are watching me. And I would not like to dissappoint Kaz.

Alx

What is this "upclocking" nonsense? Say overclocking, damnit!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "overclocking" means using a processor at a frequency that is above the "safety limit" (I don't know the exact word), that is below its theoretical maximum.
Upclocking would be upgrading a processor so that its theoretical maximum increases, and as a consequence its "safety limit" too.

Rootbeer

Banned
Alright Sony, you know what to do. Can't let MS beat you in the hardware game, they already have other advantages. Don't let them have this one, too.

Rooster

Can't see them changing any specs stated on Xbox.com which is pretty much only 8 core CPU, 8GB RAM & 500GB HD.

Clock speeds were never announced iirc, only deduced from other information so they could change. It would mean delays though unless it happened months ago, they'd have to test everything again. They can't just assume their cooling solution will cope.

So, if this is true, PS4 would go from having a 33% advantage to a 25% advantage. That's still pretty significant.

edit: Also, instead of asking for more RAM, Respawn should be asking MS for a more efficient OS.

Not quite, the PS4 would now have a 33.3% advantage on the GPU side in terms of FLOPS compared to the Xbone with the Xbone upclock, down from a 50% advantage. The Xbone would now be at a 25% disadvantage if the upclock FLOPS figures are to be believed compared to the previous 33% disadvantage.

A clock bump is possible I guess, it would be pretty simple assuming adequate cooling and the cooling solution is pretty beefy along with a decent sized shell. Nowhere near enough to make up the gap though and of course it might all be bollocks.

absolutely, a lower GPU is possible, but higher is impossible

/sarcasm

Actually it is impossible. I said the same for those bullshit rumours about the PS4 CPU going from 1.6GHz to 1.8GHz. In the world of semi-conductors performance from planning to mass production only ever goes in a single direction, downwards. If they planned for 800MHz the number of usable parts at 800MHz is basically fixed, to increase that figure they would need to respin. The other way to increase the number of usable parts is to lower the clocks or fuse off more CUs. Increasing performance will reduce the number of usable dice and for a box that is already in short supply that seems incredibly unlikely and an insane business decision since the difference is going to be minimal.

Joco

How about no mandatory Kinect?

I'm holding out hope (probably foolishly) that Microsoft will decide to sell a SKU without Kinect for $400 to try to be more price-competitive with the PS4. If they did that they'd eliminate the main advantage the PS4 has at this point, although Kinect seems so-heavily integrated into the X1 that it might just not be possible to remove it without having to make significant changes to the way the console operates.

beat

Devkits should have more memory than retail units. Development code isn't optimized for space, it has debugging symbols, you may well want to have debugging data in your assets too, or you just haven't optimized your assets yet... it sucked in previous generations to develop on devkits that had no more memory than the retail units. (Of course at some point you have to ensure it runs well on retail-spec'ed units, but that happens nearer the end of development.)

Jack cw

Modified decade old engine. Just because the foundation is old doesn't mean anything. Look at Call of Duty's use of the base Quake 3 engine--I know people mock Activision for it but there comes a certain point where an engine is so heavily modified it's nothing like the original. Hell, in the depths of Photoshop lies a MacApp framework which originally let Photoshop communicate with Mac OS back in the day.
An engine can only do so much. Ghosts and Titanfall have that old engine look written on them, even with all that fancy effects and heavy modicfication their origin is noticeable.

Anyway I cant belive that this rumor is true... Arent they in mass production right now? We have what around 4 months to launch? The need to manufacture millions of consoles as of now.

Why stop at 12 gigs.

DDr3 is super cheap put 16 gigs of ddr 3 in that thing.

Raise the bar as much as you can so you dont hold back pc gaming.

Actually it is impossible. I said the same for those bullshit rumours about the PS4 CPU going from 1.6GHz to 1.8GHz. In the world of semi-conductors performance from planning to mass production only ever goes in a single direction, downwards. If they planned for 800MHz the number of usable parts at 800MHz is basically fixed, to increase that figure they would need to respin. The other way to increase the number of usable parts is to lower the clocks or fuse off more CUs. Increasing performance will reduce the number of usable dice and for a box that is already in short supply that seems incredibly unlikely and an insane business decision since the difference is going to be minimal.

Do you know AMD Temash A-5200 has 4 jaguar cores at 2Ghz and is going inside netbooks?.

Dambrosi

Banned
As I'm sure has been pointed out already, this is a lot like Sega suddenly deciding to shoe-horn some janky 3D hardware into their upcoming Saturn console a few months before release because they heard that the competition, a certain Sony PlayStation, was 3D polygon graphics focused. We all know how that turned out.

The next thing we know, MS will hold a conference in October and announce that "The Xbox One is in shops...right now!", like Sega did with Saturn in the UK back in '96.

The Saturn comparisons continue, it seems.

Warablo

I can turn my laptop camera on and off whenever i want.

So you believe the Kinect is there continuously recording you? It is off, and you can turn off voice commands also. The only thing you can't do is unplug it if you want to use your console, which isn't a big deal unless your Kinect breaks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom