• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examiner Rumor: Xbox One GPU upclock yay - 12 GB Ram probably nay (source is NOT B3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekim

Update:
I asked the author for his source's track record and this was his response:
http://www.examiner.com/article/rumor-ubisoft-revealing-new-racing-ip-called-the-crew-at-e3-2013
http://www.examiner.com/article/first-screenshot-of-assassin-s-creed-black-flag-surfaces

I checked both articles and yep: he was the first confirming the name for AC:BF and the first screenshot came from him:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512183

And his confirmation on "The Crew" was also right:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570561

http://www.examiner.com/article/xbo...gher-clock-speed-but-doubtful-on-increase-ram

So the original rumor from B3D was this:
The rumors state the following:
-The Xbox One GPU is getting an increase in clock speed
-The Xbox One DDR3 RAM will increase from 8GB to 12GB
-The Xbox One development team is asking for developer feedback on changes they would want to see hardware wise.

The author's own source now says the following:
As I have said in the past, these rumors come and go and it's hard to justify reporting on every one. But when I approached a trusted source of mine regarding them... I was surprised by the answer, to say the least.

Essentially, my source has confirmed that the increase in GPU clock speed is 100% true, with the increase happening in direct response to the PlayStation 4. The increase has been a reality since before the reveal, as they have "been reacting to Sony ever since the first leaks of both systems." The news of this bump in clock speed was announced to first parties only, as they "actively spread disinformation to 3rd parties just before reveal to prevent leaks."

This is where things start to stray from the original rumor though. When asked about the increase in RAM (from 8GB to 12GB), the response I obtained was simply "I have heard nothing like that, the development kits have 12GB of RAM, but as far as I know the retail kits are locked in at 8GB."

The source also went on to state that "it wouldn't be much use given the actual speed (of said RAM)." As for current projects, they also are "too far gone for a bump to be beneficial" as many developers have been developing for the currently announced set of Xbox One specifications. He did mention that the possibility may still be there though, as the increase in RAM would help development of games 2014 and beyond when taking second screen gaming into consideration - something many developers have been focusing on.

But what about poaching developers for suggestions regarding the increase? Well, from my sources understanding, Respawn Entertainment may have been the ones lobbying for the RAM bump. This would actually make sense, as Respawn has been very clear and vocal about how the 5GB of RAM allotted for gaming on the Xbox One has already caused issues in development of TitanFall.

Like I said though, these are just rumors, and as the past has proven, rumors come and go while changing on the fly - please take all of these with a grain of salt.

An upclock of 100MHZ would result in ~ 1.38TFlops for the GPU.
Given the large box and the large fan, I can totally see this being true.

On another note, the downclock rumors maybe originated from MS trying to get 1000MHZ (random number) and had to go down to 900MHZ due to yield issues.

Daingurse

Heard this on ReviewTech USA. Honestly would prefer it to be true and I'm not even interested in the XBone. Would make the playing field far more interesting.

Hanmik

For what? It would help in performance for games, so no, it isn't late.

you mean performance for TVTVTVTVTVTVTV..

the console is supposed to launch in a couple of months.. I don´t care how big the XboxOne is they are not changing anything but their policies.

An upclock of 100MHZ would result in ~ 1.38TFlops for the GPU.
Given the large box and the large fan, I can totally see this being true.

So, if this is true, PS4 would go from having a 33% advantage to a 25% advantage. That's still pretty significant.

edit: Also, instead of asking for more RAM, Respawn should be asking MS for a more efficient OS.

jWILL253

Banned
Microsoft is 4 months away from release. I doubt they could completely change the performance of their console without utterly destroying final retail supply numbers...

Chobel

But what about poaching developers for suggestions regarding the increase? Well, from my sources understanding, Respawn Entertainment may have been the ones lobbying for the RAM bump. This would actually make sense, as Respawn has been very clear and vocal about how the 5GB of RAM allotted for gaming on the Xbox One has already caused issues in development of TitanFall.

This doesn't make any sense. How the hell is 5GB is not enough for Titanfall? Yes it looks like a great game, but it's not that impressive when it comes to graphics.

Replicant

Totally credible!

ibmvmyIZQhLo53.gif

Erasus

An upclock on GPU might be nice but it still will be worse than the PS4 GPU.

And from 8GB to 12GB might work if MS is willling to pay for it... Might not happen now but there might be some expansion slots? But that is also pretty dumb as it will segregate the population like on N64.

Sony designed well with GDDR5 + got lucky that they could fit 8GB in the box :p

This doesn't make any sense. How the hell is 5GB is not enough for Titanfall? Yes it looks like a great game, but it's not that impressive when it comes to graphics.

The RAM is unified, both GPU RAM and System RAM is in that one pool. Maybe they wanted bigger maps, more players, more background stuff happening etc

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can see 12gb happening. If devkits have 12GB that means they have a motherboard that supports it, so they could ship that if they made the decision early enough.

Is the up clock something Sony couldn't also do? Weren't there rumours about a faster CPU clock on PS4?

I really cant wait for the consoles to be fucking released so this kind of nonsense goes away. Its July. For a November release, the have to start manufacturing retail boxes NOW.

Any down or upclock would have already happened months ago and we would of already heard rumors of it. Its a bunch of nonsense.

And this author is an idiot. His last rumour was microsoft was dropping mandatory kinect when all the launch titles make use of it in some way. Yeah whatever.

Examiner is about as reliable as Forbes Contributors. Basically anyone with a keyboard can write for them.

None of this is going to happen. The bone will come out in November for $499 with 8GB RAM and an 800MHz or lower GPU.

I really cant wait for the consoles to be fucking released so this kind of nonsense goes away. Its July. For a November release, the have to start manufacturing retail boxes NOW.

That's what I think, too. The Xbone is launching in four months, if they haven't started manufacturing these things yet they're going to have to start soon. I think it's too late to make any sort of change unless they're going to delay.

Nachtmaer

What's the point in a 100MHz increase for the GPU when the difference in performance is negligible and it just increases TDP? If those yield issues rumors are true, then this makes even less sense.

Also it seems like this 12GB rumor doesn't want to die either. I guess MS employed some wizards to magically change the memory controller and the PCB layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom