• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Excellent Bioshock Infinite Cosplay

Ellis Kim

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Im just tired of oversexualized women in games and i dont see the need for those kinds of boobs when there is NOTHING about this character hinting that they have a purpose other than give creepy gamer boners.

I throw the word loli around as a reference, im just instantly reminded when i see something so sexual in a character that's supposed to be "cute".
You want loli? Go to google and reeducate yourself on the damn definition.

You cry out at "oversexualization," yet you proceed to remark that she's supposed to be "cute;" I say that statement, as well as the rest of your post, reveals more about your subconscious objectification of her as a female character than anything by assuming so much about what their apparently shallow plans are for her "purpose" (aka a tool, a game mechanic/conceit, a cog in the machine), let alone her characterization and growth/journey through Infinite, all from a game that isn't even out yet.

Salsa

Feep said:
large breasts don't weaken or strengthen a character.

they kinda do when we are talking about the general game audience

all im saying is that for me it takes away what some people might percieve of the character. I put Alyx as an example cause its basically the instant thought that comes to mind when you think about strong female characters that didnt have the need to be overly-sexualized, and she served her purpose and pulled that off.

Bioshock is a good series, they could help "promote" this sort of thing and show that not every girl in a videogame needs to be sexually appealing, specially when the game suits it perfectly. A thing like this is just completely out of place to me and a lost opportunity, not really for the game itself but for what it could do in general. Its clear that there's a prominent female character here, and they arent taking any measures to make her relevant in a sea of big boobed freaks.

Ellis Kim said:
You want loli? Go to google and reeducate yourself on the damn definition.

You cry out at "oversexualization," yet you proceed to remark that she's supposed to be "cute;" I say that statement, as well as the rest of your post, reveals more about your subconscious objectification of her as a female character than anything by assuming so much about what their apparently shallow plans are for her "purpose" (aka "a tool"), let alone her characterization and growth/journey through Infinite, all from a game that isn't even out yet.

no, dude, im calling her cute becausey she is clearly supposed to look cute, that's the way they are presenting me a freakin blue eyed girl surrounded by roses.

I dont even want to think why you are getting so worked up about my diferent opinion, specially when im clearly coming from somewhere.

Septimius

SalsaShark said:
all im saying is that for me it takes away what some people might percieve of the character. I put Alyx as an example cause its basically the instant thought that comes to mind when you think about strong female characters that didnt have the need to be overly-sexualized, and she served her purpose and pulled that off.

I was hoping that would happen the entire game, if you know what I mean.

Feep

Banned
SalsaShark said:
they kinda do when we are talking about the general game audience

Bioshock is a good series, they could help "promote" this sort of thing and show that not every girl in a videogame needs to be sexually appealing, specially when the game suits it perfectly. A thing like this is just completely out of place to me and a lost opportunity, not really for the game itself but for what it could do in general. Its clear that there's a prominent female character here, and they arent taking any measures to make her relevant in a sea of big boobed freaks.
I have quite a few large-chested female friends, some easily within Elizabeth-range, and I would never describe them as "freaks". If someone is distracted by large breasts, well, that's not the woman's fault. It's the men who are playing this game who are sexualizing her, because I'm quite sure the game itself will have no overt sexual content.

Should we cut all C-cup and above women from games because they distract men? Should we cut all skinny people? How about muscular guys? Those are distracting to women, after all. It essentially becomes some kind of weird pretty-people racism, or something.

Elizabeth will differentiate herself, hopefully, with character development, dialogue, emotion, and plot significance. Jade from BG&E had a fairly large chest, if I recall, but I didn't care. She was rad. It's the player's fault if they couldn't see past her chest.

Salsa

Feep said:
I have quite a few large-chested female friends, some easily within Elizabeth-range, and I would never describe them as "freaks". If someone is distracted by large breasts, well, that's not the woman's fault. It's the men who are playing this game who are sexualizing her, because I'm quite sure the game itself will have no overt sexual content.

Should we cut all C-cup and above women from games because they distract men? Should we cut all skinny people? How about muscular guys? Those are distracting to women, after all. It essentially becomes some kind of weird pretty-people racism, or something.

of course not, and im not saying that this girl is physically implausible or anything. I just dont get why she needs to be sexually appealing (instead of just a supposedly gorgeous blue-eyed woman) in this particular game.

and when i say freak im not talking about your friends dude, lol. Im talking about characters like Ivy and whatnot.

Feep said:
Elizabeth will differentiate herself, hopefully, with character development, dialogue, emotion, and plot significance. Jade from BG&E had a fairly large chest, if I recall, but I didn't care. She was rad. It's the player's fault if they couldn't see past her chest.

I dont disagree, im just saying that its a thing that will happen with players, and there's no need for it and it could have been avoided.

Reuenthal

Banned
SalsaShark said:
of course not, and im not saying that this girl is physically implausible or anything. I just dont get why she needs to be sexually appealing in this particular game.

and when i say freak im not talking about your friends dude, lol. Im talking about characters like Ivy and whatnot.

I dont disagree, im just saying that its a thing that will happen with players, and there's no need for it.

Why concern yourself over immature players? I don't think that game design should necessarily change so that immature people will stop being immature. Most importantly, it gives me little reason to care that some people are immature and shallow when I can get more out of games than they do.

Salsa

Reuenthal said:
Why concern yourself over immature players?

Well, its part of a concern with immature players and as i stated a concern of the representation of women as game characters.

A concern for immature players is because this game is certainly gonna be something else, like Bioshock was, a different and meaningful experience (hopefully), and i dont care for the bioware-forum type of guy that just skips all over that to zoom into Miranda's ass or something, and i dont like it when i see a game with the potential to attract that audience when people should be celebrating other things about it. It certainly wont make MY personal experience with the game any worse or anything, that's why im not exactly calling Levine a motherfucker or anything, its just my opinion.

About representation of wmen as game characters: im not some kind of women activist or anything, i like a big pair of tits as much as the next guy, im just tired of them in games, specially when there's no purpose for them. I get them on Ivy and japanese games and what not; that sells, but in a Bioshock game? dont see the need.

I dont really like being part of a culture that has a HUGE fanbase for something like criminal games or those games where you spank girls with a touch screen and whatnot. I think its fucking ridiculous and embarrasing, and that's the image some people get from games, believe it or not, specially when its constantly shoved in your face. Id like stuff like that to die down a bit, and i think its about time now.

So when a game that could potentially help in that regard goes backwards and to the good ol videogame titties, then yeah, im a little disappointed.

Again, im being overly dramatic for the sake of the point where im coming from, im not saying Elizabeth's design is as bad as a game where you are supposed to spank little girls, lol.

Not to leave SalsaShark stand alone, I've found their choice for Elizabeth rather odd too.
I do wonder if it's intentional. Ignoring breast size, perhaps it's whatever captured her is dressing her like that.
Or maybe it's to get those too thick-headed to normally care about her, to actually care about her, if for lesser reasons?

Feep

Banned
You seem to think higher of the American people than the Japanese? Trust me. Whether it's by a hundred or by a hundred thousand, Bioshock Infinite with D-Cup Elizabeth will categorically sell more then Bioshock Infinite with B-Cup Elizabeth. = D

Glass Rebel

I think it's just a stylistic preference. It's a look most people associate with Victorian corsets. I admit though, it could be T2 "creative input" shining through. Again. >_>

Micerider

SalsaShark said:
Im just tired of oversexualized women in games and i dont see the need for those kinds of boobs when there is NOTHING about this character hinting that they have a purpose other than give creepy gamer boners.

This. It gives the impression that they are trying too hard to appeal hormonaly charged teens.

Yet...

We do not know the purposes and roles of Elizabeth so far, and the actual "social" background is still largely unknown. Maybe this "design" has a sense. I mean, we are talking about a "free" and decomplexed socitety built in the sky, in a period of time that did not highly consider women's right.

The rejection of some moral barriers might have lead to a female fashion that was already more sexually oriented than it's contemporary, a bit like what we experienced since the 60's in our society (fashion has never been so sexualized as it is today).

Might sound far-fetched, but I have sufficient "faith" in Levine and his team to give a deeper meaning to this "boooooobbbiiess" than a pure marketing move (although I DO suspect that this is something that has weigthed in the design balance still).

Zeliard

Well, she's a caricature, physically. The big head, big eyes, etc are purposefully cartoony and meant to evoke certain emotions. She's like 20, right? Not that young. She just looks young because of those "cute" features, so I understand how that juxtaposed with the breast size can come across as off-putting.

I think it works fine in-game from what I've seen so far, though. The way she acts makes it effective and the relationship between Booker and Elizabeth seems very far from the sexual sort. Much more father-daughter, at least from the clips we've seen.

Salsa

Glass Rebel said:
I think it's just a stylistic preference. It's a look most people associate with Victorian corsets. I admit though, it could be T2 "creative input" shining through. Again. >_>

who knows i guess, i'll give you that. As some said the game isnt released yet and we wont know for sure till we play it, it might have a "reason" of sorts as electroshockwave explained.

All im saying is coming from the impression im getting, and i went on about it because people were asking where i was coming from with the complain.

Reuenthal

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Well, its part of a concern with immature players and as i stated a concern of the representation of women as game characters.

A concern for immature players is because this game is certainly gonna be something else, like Bioshock was, a different and meaningful experience (hopefully), and i dont care for the bioware-forum type of guy that just skips all over that to zoom into Miranda's ass or something, and i dont like it when i see a game with the potential to attract that audience when people should be celebrating other things about it. It certainly wont make MY personal experience with the game any worse or anything, that's why im not exactly calling Levine a motherfucker or anything, its just my opinion.

About representation of wmen as game characters: im not some kind of women activist or anything, i like a big pair of tits as much as the next guy, im just tired of them in games, specially when there's no purpose for them. I get them on Ivy and japanese games and what not; that sells, but in a Bioshock game? dont see the need.

I dont really like being part of a culture that has a HUGE fanbase for something like criminal games or those games where you spank girls with a touch screen and whatnot. I think its fucking ridiculous and embarrasing, and that's the image some people get from games, believe it or not, specially when its constantly shoved in your face. Id like stuff like that to die down a bit, and i think its about time now.

So when a game that could potentially help in that regard goes backwards and to the good ol videogame titties, then yeah, im a little disappointed.

Again, im being overly dramatic for the sake of the point where im coming from, im not saying Elizabeth's design is as bad as a game where you are supposed to spank little girls, lol.
I get where you are coming from but that still doesn't change my previous "I don't really care" position.

To be honest, games are idealized worlds and you are going to get pretty and sexed up characters males and females alike, and I think there is a difference between that and games that go misogynistic towards females. In Bioshock's case it is also a stylistic choice. Still I can also understand you wanting a different kind of game and also not liking the culture around people enjoying the sex aspect of a game or focusing on that. So despite having a somewhat different position I understand where you are coming from. Still I don't see Bioshock Infinity on the same category as the worst examples you mentioned.

Salsa

Reuenthal said:
I get where you are coming from but that still doesn't change my previous "I don't really care" position.

To be honest, games are idealized worlds and you are going to get pretty and sexed up characters males and females alike, and I think there is a difference between that and games that go misogynistic towards females. In Bioshock's case it is also a stylistic choice. Still I can also understand you wanting a different kind of game and also not liking the culture around people enjoying the sex aspect of a game or focusing on that. So despite having a somewhat different position I understand where you are coming from.

thanks, tried to make myself as clear as possible

i just dont get why people defend it so much, its a valid complain

people should just say to me "fuck you i love boobies!" and then i aknowledge that we like and expect different things in our games and that's that.

Ellis Kim

Banned
SalsaShark said:
yup, in every videogame ever.
Dude, Ireally don't get your problem. I feel like you're naval gazing and being critical in all f the wrong ways.

I'm a strong believer in great and progressive female representation in games too, but you're fighting on the wrong field of battle. Elizabeth's design is clearly meant to evoke various forms of empathy within the player, but you finding her corset cleavage distracting says more about you than of any malicious sexualization in her design itself.

The setting, her circumstances, and her role validate her attire.

You seek to tear down laughable and oversexualized design? Go attack the devs for Hunted: The Demon's Forge, or the hundreds of fantasy games with thigh-skin showing "armor."

But not here, not Elizabeth, and especially not with so little info on her, as you so bluntly put it, "purpose."

They gave her exaggerated expressions and in particular the eyes so the player can always tell her emotions even from far away. This was a problem in the first Bioshock were NPC's had no real emotions at all (visually, that is) so this is their way of fixing that particular problem. I love it!

Also, the girl is stunning.

Kerrby

Banned
SalsaShark said:
sure

she looks like a loli character, there's absolutely no need for those boobs considering the purpose of the character. Its like Levine got some advise from Team Ninja or something.

You think Alyx in HL2 needed bigger boobs? she clearly came off as a love-interest of sorts without needing to fill your face with BOOBAGE. We get it, she's the pretty one, now make it classy instead of screaming for fan made hentai.

Wow, you're really complaining about her tit size being too big? You've hit a new low GAF.

Salsa

Ellis Kim said:
Dude, Ireally don't get your problem. I feel like you're naval gazing and being critical in all f the wrong ways.

I'm a strong believer in great and progressive female representation in games too, but you're fighting on the wrong field of battle. Elizabeth's design is clearly meant to evoke various forms of empathy within the player, but you finding her corset cleavage distracting says more about you than of any malicious sexualization in her design itself.

The setting, her circumstances, and her role validate her attire.

You seek to tear down laughable and oversexualized design? Go attack the devs for Hunted: The Demon's Forge, or the hundreds of fantasy games with thigh-skin showing "armor."

But not here, not Elizabeth, and especially not with so little info on her, as you so bluntly put it, "purpose."

Im not attacking those guys cause they have a difference audience in mind than the Bioshock guys. I dont like the oversexualization of the characters in their games, but i get why they do it, and i get why they'd think stuff like that would improve sales or the appeal of the game and whatnot. Doesnt make it any less wrong or different from what i believe, but i understand it.

The reason im being so up about it here its because i just didnt expect it from a Bioshock game. I still really think its out of place. And if the trailers and info so far is anything to go by i truly believe that she could evoke exactly the same emotion from players without the boobs.

Also, saying that the fact that her big boobs distract me is saying something about me is just plain silly. She has a big cleavage and boobs and it is something that clearly takes your attention or comes to mind when you first glance at the character, and that type of design isnt just "collateral damage" or something because of the era and clothing. Those boobs are designed on purpose.

Thoraxes

SalsaShark said:
thanks, tried to make myself as clear as possible

i just dont get why people defend it so much, its a valid complain

people should just say to me "fuck you i love boobies!" and then i aknowledge that we like and expect different things in our games and that's that.
Fuck you, I love boobies!

Actually you saved me from having to veil that statement with any kind of explanation too.

Ellis Kim

Banned
SalsaShark said:
I dont disagree, im just saying that its a thing that will happen with players, and there's no need for it and it could have been avoided.

[...]

Well, its part of a concern with immature players and as i stated a concern of the representation of women as game characters.A concern for immature players is because this game is certainly gonna be something else, like Bioshock was, a different and meaningful experience (hopefully), and i dont care for the bioware-forum type of guy that just skips all over that to zoom into Miranda's ass or something, and i dont like it when i see a game with the potential to attract that audience when people should be celebrating other things about it. It certainly wont make MY personal experience with the game any worse or anything,
Less boobs != Less sexual objectification by douchebag male audience.

I get what you mean, and you're being overly dramatic, which hurts you more than it helps.

Your fear is warranted, but not one that's helping.

I think I trust Irrational to do something interesting with Elizabeth, other than make her eye candy. The design is certainly odd, and a little uncomfortable, and I can't help but feel that's what they're going for and it's going to amount to something.

Kerrby

Banned
Stupacabra said:
I think I trust Irrational to do something interesting with Elizabeth, other than make her eye candy. The design is certainly odd, and a little uncomfortable, and I can't help but feel that's what they're going for and it's going to amount to something.

6MJbS.png

Salsa

Ellis Kim said:
Less boobs != Less sexual objectification by douchebag male audience.

I get what you mean, and you're being overly dramatic, which hurts you more than it helps.

Your fear is warranted, but not one that's helping.

Less boobs = industry going forward with the notion that game characters dont need to be overly sexualized for people to get interested in them as characters.

Stupacabra said:

i wanna believe

nomis

SalsaShark said:

So... you're saying that Elizabeth shouldn't have breasts of her size in Bioshock Infinite because "there's no purpose for them"? You realize that there are women of all different body size/bust size ratios in real life right? Also that whatever that ratio is, it is completely inconsequential to who they are as a person? You're acting like Irrational have given her some kind of absurd and unrealistic fighting game character/Jessica Rabbit proportions to make her body entirely an object of player objectification. When really, I have an ex-coworker who is about 5'1" and would probably look similar in a corset.

SalsaShark:
"In order to be taken seriously, a female character MUST HAVE SMALL BREASTS!"

SalsaShark said:
Less boobs = industry going forward with the notion that game characters dont need to be overly sexualized for people to get interested in them as characters.

You realize that a female character could have an A-cup and still be over sexualized, right? It's about how they are presented. There is nothing unrealistic about this particular characters dimensions (besides the "disney eyes").

Aaron

GrotesqueBeauty said:
This coming from the guy who liked Viking: Battle for Asgard.

Sorry man, but I can never let it go!
Ha! I actually played it recently thinking of finishing the achievements. Still like it, but the designs weren't great for sure.

Salsa

omnomis said:
So... you're saying that Elizabeth shouldn't have breasts of her size in Bioshock Infinite because "there's no purpose for them"? You realize that there are women of all different body size/bust size ratios in real life right? Also that whatever that ratio is, it is completely inconsequential to who they are as a person? You're acting like Irrational have given her some kind of absurd and unrealistic fighting game character/Jessica Rabbit proportions to make her body entirely an object of player objectification. When really, I have an ex-coworker who is about 5'1" and would probably look similar in a corset.

SalsaShark:
"In order to be taken seriously, a female character MUST HAVE SMALL BREASTS!"

I do realize that, videogames dont.

and again, im not saying she's "implausible", i know there are women who look like that (cosplayer to begin with, lol). But videogames arent real life, all design has a purpose, unlike.. well life.

dont be silly with the quote you gave me, im just saying that a strong way to show that is to not do it, yeah. Breaking the mold helps to get a point across, im not generalizing at all, im just talking about measures that could be taken within the issue.

nomis

SalsaShark said:

and again, im not saying she's "implausible", i know there are women who look like that (cosplayer to begin with, lol). But videogames arent real life, all design has a purpose, unlike.. well life.

dont be silly with the quote you gave me, im just saying that a strong way to show that is to not do it, yeah. Breaking the mold helps to get a point across, im not generalizing at all, im just talking about measures that could be taken within the issue.

I wasn't trying to misrepresent you, I'm just saying that your first statement of Elizabeth being the "huge tits loli version" is completely hyperbolic. Also that I don't see what effect her breast size has on her character when it comes to the story of the game, which is what I care about. My point was that you make it sound like unless the character model has a below average sized bust, then there's no way her character could be progressive as a female in a videogame, and I'm saying that her body isn't so unrealistically caricatured that it should be a hindrance.

You mentioned Alyx in Half Life 2. Both characters are probably similar in chest size, but Alyx is 5 foot 8 and Elizabeth is 5 foot 1.

all design has a purpose, unlike.. well life

I wouldn't be surprised if Irrational's purpose was to pre emptively combat accusations of "pedophilia" in her design, since with a smaller chest size the character model would look even more childlike.

Madrical

Banned
SalsaShark said:

I see where you're coming from, in that every video game character bar a few (Alyx and Chell come to mind, Fepshep probably too?) is over sexualized. Many, many, many women out there have a body similar to that of Elizabeth's (I think that's her name?) but I don't think she's overly sexual. She has a decent rack, that's about it. She's not some smoking hot model with perfect proportion and straight blonde hair. She seems realistic.

Glass Rebel

SalsaShark said:

ohnoyoudidnt.jpg

Ellis Kim

Banned
SalsaShark said:
The reason im being so up about it here its because i just didnt expect it from a Bioshock game. I still really think its out of place. And if the trailers and info so far is anything to go by i truly believe that she could evoke exactly the same emotion from players without the boobs.
Yeah, her boobs are designed like that on purpose, because, you know, she has a corset, she's a woman, she's meant to evoke empathy so you have to start somewhere, she's intentionally charicatured for her whole body for expressive and animation purposes, and she's something of a trophy to the Bird monster character.

You didn't expect it from a Bioshock game? That's a poor excuse. I've just rattled off a series of reasons why her design DOES fit into the setting and game proper.

If your concern is of random douche gamer A being incapable of looking past her tits, then that's clearly more of a design challenge for the developers than one for her chest size.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I find it strange that no one is making the point that the new version is FUCKING CROSS-EYED.

Salsa

omnomis said:
I wasn't trying to misrepresent you, I'm just saying that your first statement of Elizabeth being the "huge tits loli version" is completely hyperbolic. Also that I don't see what effect her breast size has on her character when it comes to the story of the game, which is what I care about. My point was that you make it sound like unless the character model has a below average sized bust, then there's no way her character could be progressive as a female in a videogame, and I'm saying that her body isn't so unrealistically caricatured that it should be a hindrance.

I was being dramatic on the first response for humor purposes rather, i guess. Never thought we'd get an actual discussion going (I still think of that audience when i look at her design though).

The discussion i was trying to have wasnt that much about this character in the game itself bur rather how out of place she feels in a series like Bioshock, and how i didnt expected that and how it could go down as an example of woman in gaming in general. Like i said i dont think her boobs are gonna change my personal experience with the game, but i still dont see the point. I just dont like watching trailers for the game with 50 youtube comments saying "dem tits", "sexy girl elizabeth *_*" and shit like that, its odd, uneasy and not necesary regarding what we know so far.

And for the bolded: i wasnt trying to imply that, i was making a point beyond that as to why does every female character needs to have big boobs. I feel like the point could get across even better when you show a love (or daughter or whatever) interest/kind of relationship when the character doesnt necesarelly screams that at you.

I put Alyx as an example again because at the end of the game you empathize with her far more for her actions and how she actually is than by the way she looks. Im not saying a girl cant have big boobs and be an interesting/emotional/important character at the same time, im just saying that again, breaking the mold in videogame world makes it much easier to get that point across.

Aaron

The boobs are whatever. It's her face that needs work. It doesn't fit in with the rest of the character design, and looks like bad fan art.

Salsa

Glass Rebel said:
ohnoyoudidnt.jpg

well idk man, i dont think there's a god, no one designs us, there's no purpose for us to look the way we do, lol. That's what i was trying to say.

Ellis Kim said:
Yeah, her boobs are designed like that on purpose, because, you know, she has a corset, she's a woman, she's meant to evoke empathy so you have to start somewhere, she's intentionally charicatured for her whole body for expressive and animation purposes, and she's something of a trophy to the Bird monster character.

You didn't expect it from a Bioshock game? That's a poor excuse. I've just rattled off a series of reasons why her design DOES fit into the setting and game proper.

If your concern is of random douche gamer A being incapable of looking past her tits, then that's clearly more of a design challenge for the developers than one for her chest size.

at this point i cant say anything that i havent already adressed in my previous posts :/ i really think you can get the reason for my concerns there.

and i do get the charicature thing, i dont know where are you trying to get there, doesnt have anything to do with the boobs. Wind Waker Tetra doesnt have boobs, lol.

edit: oh and before you say it, i know WW its a different type of game/style whatever, but we are talking strictly about simplified features for the sake of the understanding of the character's expresion. So, same point.

I do agree that the developers and the actual game can turn this around, and ive clearly stated that before, so idk why youre holding that against me.

Top Bottom