• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

Bookoo

I can barely tell the difference between this and cod /sarcasm

Funny you say sarcasm because I am actually a little disappointed since the overall gameplay & feel looks like CoD with mechs and jetpacks.

Not sure if I should have expected anything else.

Klocker

There's so much action! It just never stops for that whole 8 minute video.

6v6 haters get fucked.

yes watching protracted titan battles I can see how more players would just be jumping in and messing up the vibe. that's good shit and a nice dance, no need to add more incidentals to that mix.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wanted the guy playing to wallrun more. Those billboards are just asking for it.

I like how EVERYBODY ignored the "get to the drop ship" call lol

That girl telling me my titan is ready every 60, 30,15 seconds could get annoying.

Yeah, just like any other game people just ignore anything aside from killing...I don't get it. It's right in the middle of the damn screen too, lol.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
God dammit. I'm away for an hour and I miss a good video. :/

That tinypic vid kinda sucked. Still can't believe there are people playing this game tonight. Even have a guy on my friends list playing it.

The game hilariously shows up as "Game" when people are playing it. So his profile said "Game - Playing Game". lol

Also saw James Stevenson playing it last night, but didn't know what it was at the time.

You saw nothing! Nothing!

Played for just about an hour trying to get a challenge, but its fun. Fast paced fun. A couple of times I left my bot and while some militia were focusing on the the bot I came up from behind them for the kill. I got burned doing that too.

Respawn talks about the cloud quite a bit , if running multiplayer focused games on the "cloud" produces things like this I have no complaints .

Elixist

That vid looks great, most titan skills and the map weve already seen, but the movement looks so fun ever since they started showing it. Prob day 1 pc for me.

daman824

Funny you say sarcasm because I am actually a little disappointed since the overall gameplay & feel looks like CoD with mechs and jetpacks.

Not sure if I should have expected anything else.
No fall damage, significantly more health, overall faster pace, faster movement speed, and then the stuff we already know about: titans, wallrunning, bots, and double jump. It is significantly different that what cod has slowly turned into.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Great footage. Being in a Titan reminds me of Big Daddy, at ten times the speed.

So does everyone get a Titan when the countdown is over? It seemed like it turned into Titan mode halfway through...I can't imagine engaging a good offense without one.

Guns are great, much improved over COD's mostly weak sounding/looking guns.

Mononoke

Banned
The game definitely has a big COD element. Looks different enough though.

I guess only time will tell how much it holds up. I think there is enough elements that certainly makes it stand out from COD and other FPS. It feels like the natural evolution of COD (what should have happened a long time ago). But I wonder if players will feel that way after a month of playing etc.

Just a quick question. Are they using the cloud based servers for this game during the Alpha? I know it is a stress test and all, and they are definitely testing the servers. I remember during E3 on the Giant Bombcast when the Respawn guys were there, they talked about what the cloud would bring to Titanfall.

They mentioned that Microsoft's Cloud could create servers, in any region, at any time, when they were needed. This was a huge benefit to developers, since they didn't have to create and manage their servers on their own.

So is this Alpha not using the full capacity of Microsoft's cloud servers, thus causing all this server issues? Just an honest question, because I thought getting into a game would be the easy part, considering the huge amount of servers at Respawns disposal. OR, is this the first Xbox One game using the cloud servers and this is one of the first big tests for them?

Bsigg12

Surprising how many bad players are in the alpha. Needs more skilled leaks.

Its ok, it allows me to have fun leaving blood trails of splattered pilots who try to take me head on while I'm in a Titan and they have a rocket launcher.

I have had a few crazy ones though, one where I hid, set my Titan to guard mode and climbed up a building and used my Titan as a decoy to jump on the other Titan's back and bring him down.

Just a quick question. Are they using the cloud based servers for this game during the Alpha? I know it is a stress test and all, and they are definitely testing the servers. I remember during E3 on the Giant Bombcast when the Respawn guys were there, they talked about what the cloud would bring to Titanfall.

They mentioned that Microsoft's Cloud could create servers, in any region, at any time, when they were needed. This was a huge benefit to developers, since they didn't have to create and manage their servers on their own.

So is this Alpha not using the full capacity of Microsoft's cloud servers, thus causing all this server issues? Just an honest question, because I thought getting into a game would be the easy part, considering the huge amount of servers at Respawns disposal. OR, is this the first Xbox One game using the cloud servers and this is one of the first big tests for them?

It sounds like the game is designed around the servers, so I think it's very safe to assume this alpha is using them.

Jarmel

Banned
I guess only time will tell how much it holds up. I think there is enough elements that certainly makes it stand out from COD and other FPS. It feels like the natural evolution of COD (what should have happened a long time ago). But I wonder if players will feel that way after a month of playing etc.

It does look different enough for me. The big thing is that the kill times are seemingly longer by a small bit than they are in COD. There are also more survivability options available that make the player last longer. As for the map design, that's going to be crucial but they seemingly do provide a good number of avenues but there are also some chokepoints unlike Ghost.

Mononoke

Banned
It does look different enough for me. The big thing is that the kill times are seemingly longer by a small bit than they are in COD. There are also more survivability options available that make the player last longer. As for the map design, that's going to be crucial but they seemingly do provide a good number of avenues but there are also some chokepoints unlike Ghost.

Given that this is multiplayer only (so the entire focus is MP), do we know how many maps are going to be in the final game? Has there been any talk about that in interviews? I'm kind of curious. I only bring this up, because I wonder if they can get away with charging $60, if it only has like 10 maps. Or if people will expect more maps, since the sole focus is MP.

On that note, I actually think it's exciting that this series is 100% focused on MP. It means that there should be better support for MP (in terms of quality DLC maps down the road), and them keeping up with the MP experience. Or at least...I hope.

EDIT: Forgot about this...

Isn't there a "story mode" that is campaign-based but also involves multiplayer?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Given that this is multiplayer only (so the entire focus is MP), do we know how many maps are going to be in the final game? Has there been any talk about that in interviews? I'm kind of curious. I only bring this up, because I wonder if they can get away with charging $60, if it only has like 10 maps. Or if people will expect more maps, since the sole focus is MP.

On that note, I actually think it's exciting that this series is 100% focused on MP. It means that there should be better support for MP (in terms of quality DLC maps down the road), and them keeping up with the MP experience. Or at least...I hope.

Isn't there a "story mode" that is campaign-based but also involves multiplayer?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Pretty sure we haven't heard of maps or modes. We don't really know all that much about the game in general.

Milennia

This is how i see/treat the game as well.
Imo its the 2nd evolution of COD, and as someone who quit COD back in mid MW2 from COD2 and 4, due to being bored/not liking the direction they were going with more killstreaks and loads of perks etc. this game has me very excited to jump back in to fast, competitive and smaller type shooter as opposed to just spamming battlefield for years since MW2.

Ill still play battlefield because it gives me something different, however this game will quench my competitive thirst, like COD once did.

Mononoke

Banned

Oh yes, you are right! I forgot about that. So nevermind. I recall hearing about that as well. Also as others have posted above, I guess we don't really know what modes it actually has. So probably not safe to assume anything at this point.

This is how i see/treat the game as well.
Imo its the 2nd evolution of COD, and as someone who quit COD back in mid MW2 from COD2 and 4, due to being bored/not liking the direction they were going with more killstreaks and loads of perks etc. this game has me very excited to jump back in to fast, competitive and smaller type shooter as opposed to just spamming battlefield for years since MW2.

Ill still play battlefield because it gives me something different, however this game will quench my competitive thirst, like COD once did.

I always loved that Halo and COD felt more arcadey. I of course, grew burnt out on COD. But the arcade style shooters are always a great balance to the more strategic/realistic shooters like Battlefield. I feel like I've been missing that, seeing as I wasn't a big fan of Halo's franchise after 3. And I grew tired of COD. So this is perfectly filling that void that's been missing. It's pretty much (at least on first impressions), the greatness I felt with the original COD and Halos. It's just so much fun to play.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Oh yes, you are right! I forgot about that. So nevermind. I recall hearing about that as well. Also as others have posted above, I guess we don't really know what modes it actually has. So probably not safe to assume anything at this point.

I can't imagine it being hugely involving. They made it pretty clear (if I recall) that they weren't really interested in the big single player setpiece experiences like COD.

It sounds like the game is designed around the servers, so I think it's very safe to assume this alpha is using them.

Yeah, I assumed as much. And I understand that is why they call it an Alpha. They have never had this many people hitting those servers at once, so there will be some growing pains, especially 2 months out.

That Youtube Video that was just posted here was awesome. The game's color palette always looked quite bland to me, Killzone esque in a sense. That video proved me completely wrong, the game is much more colorful than I thought. Plus, it moves incredibly quick, super fast and I didn't see any slowdown.

This game is going to be a goldmine.

So I think I lost my access to the TitanFall Alpha.

I keep getting

"Do you own this game or app?
If you have a game disc, insert it now. If there's no disc, make sure you're signed in to Xbox Live. If you don't have rights for playing it, you'll need to buy it at the Xbox Store."

Milennia

I always loved that Halo and COD felt more arcadey. I of course, grew burnt out on COD. But the arcade style shooters are always a great balance to the more strategic/realistic shooters like Battlefield. I feel like I've been missing that, seeing as I wasn't a big fan of Halo's franchise after 3. And I grew tired of COD. So this is perfectly filling that void that's been missing. It's pretty much (at least on first impressions), the greatness I felt with the original COD and Halos. It's just so much fun to play.

Exactly, i also grew tired of halo after 3 (hoping 5 brings the series back to vanilla, no abilities and faster gameplay etc.) so this game is coming at a great time.
I haven't played a fast paced/arcadey shooter in years.

Jarmel

Banned

I keep getting

If you have a game disc, insert it now. If there's no disc, make sure you're signed in to Xbox Live. If you don't have rights for playing it, you'll need to buy it at the Xbox Store."

Try redownloading it.

Mononoke

Banned

I keep getting

Uh that's strange. Did you close the game, and then when booting it up it happened? Or did it randomly happen while playing? I'm still able to join matches. So the Alpha is still going.

Milennia

Wait... Is that bar on the bottom half of the HUD an experience tracker!?
I know its small, but if it is.. I used to log in to COD4 in the late hours and just stare at that bar, saying "one more match until i can level", it was like candy, kept me playing.

I keep getting

Cycle your X1. See if that works.

Jarmel

Banned
I know its small, but if it is.. I used to log in to COD4 in the late hours and just stare at that bar, saying "one more match until i can level", it was like candy, kept me playing.

Yes there is a leveling system.

antitrop

I've always been disappointed that CoD ditched the EXP bar at the bottom, even though I think that was a fan-favorite decision.

Top Bottom