• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

Been watching the videos and it looks a little disappointing. I guess I was expecting the game to have more of an identity with all the hype it seems to be generating. The mechs look awfully boring to control as well.

Grisby

2 months out and I'm actually a little worried about the map count myself. Since there isn't a sp I hope it has more than your usual share.

Or the hope that every one of them is a winner.

Alienous

It seems like the three main characters of the Militia are:

Macallan (Troy Baker)
Sarah (Abbie Heppe)
Bish (Unknown)

I like all three of them, they have cool personalities. Certainly better than you would expect for a MP shooter.

On the IMC side, they seem a little more generic, you have:

Blisk
Spyglass (IMC Robotic equivalent of Sarah)

Spyglass sounds awesome and Blisk (I presume) has space South African accent and a badass moustache. IMC all the way.

The game is in alpha, itll be pretty much a straight port from the PC with hardly any hardware specific bells and whistles. For example, optimised 8 core multithreading.

For you to think that the game will simply get the texture upgrade and not even get optimised for the platform is really stupid. It will be tight for them, and if the driver upgrades do boost by 10% its entirely possible.

How do you know that? In fact, that is patently false.

Everything we know about this games development shows that it was courted and built with the xb1 in mind. The digital foundry article points to them rebuilding most of source engine to be heavily multithreaded.

iMax

It seems like the three main characters of the Militia are:

Macallan (Troy Baker)
Sarah (Abbie Heppe)
Bish (Unknown)

I like all three of them, they have cool personalities. Certainly better than you would expect for a MP shooter.

On the IMC side, they seem a little more generic, you have:

Blisk
Spyglass (IMC Robotic equivalent of Sarah)

I recognise Bish's voice but can't work out from where. I think it's Jeffrey Nordling. If it isn't, dude sounds exactly like him.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Is there info on the load times? Could be bad with Source in there.

load times for the alpha look pretty long. but, iirc, load times are things that are usually brought down at the last stage(s) of development. in other words, i wouldnt use the alpha's load times to judge the final game.

E92 M3

2 months out and I'm actually a little worried about the map count myself. Since there isn't a sp I hope it has more than your usual share.

Or the hope that every one of them is a winner.

To me quality of the map is WAYYYYY more important than how many hours. I can play maps like Lockout, Crash, and Vacant forever. In my opinion quality should be their focus. Keeping a realistic focus, I think they will launch between 12-15 maps.

Please do not compare COD to Halo.
Halo requires a fare anount of skill to win.

In that case I assume you have amazing COD statistics. Give me your gamertag so I can look up those stats.

The game is in alpha, itll be pretty much a straight port from the PC with hardly any hardware specific bells and whistles. For example, optimised 8 core multithreading.

For you to think that the game will simply get the texture upgrade and not even get optimised for the platform is really stupid. It will be tight for them, and if the driver upgrades do boost by 10% its entirely possible.

Go ahead and believe whatever you wish, but I'd nearly bet my house on this game not being 1080p. The XB1 is going to have very few 1080p games that run at 60fps.

iMax

Go ahead and believe whatever you wish, but I'd nearly bet my house on this game not being 1080p. The XB1 is going to have very few 1080p games that run at 60fps.

Who cares? Out of interest, was GAF going on and on about frame buffers in 2006 too? I swear this just is a recent trend.

antitrop

Who cares? Out of interest, was GAF going on and on about frame buffers in 2006 too? I swear this just is a recent trend.

in 2000 I remember people freaking out about the PS2 not being able to do anti-aliasing and how much inferior it was to the Dreamcast.

Gamers never change. It's nothing new.

I'm on of those people that love looking at the technical aspects of games and like everything to be in the highest fidelity possible, but that's why I'm more of a PC gamer.

BigDug13

How do you know that? In fact, that is patently false.

Everything we know about this games development shows that it was courted and built with the xb1 in mind. The digital foundry article points to them rebuilding most of source engine to be heavily multithreaded.

No it wasn't. They already had planned on A PS3 port before it got bought to be exclusive. And making a game multithreaded, how is that an XBO specific optimization that doesn't affect PC?

The game was not created with XBO hardware specifically in mind at the start.

ari

Banned
No it wasn't. They already had planned on A PS3 port before it got bought to be exclusive. And making a game multithreaded, how is that an XBO specific optimization that doesn't affect PC?

The game was not created with XBO hardware specifically in mind at the start.

It doesn't even matter, the game is great and looks great.

BigDug13

It doesn't even matter, the game is great and looks great.

Sure, but my original point that started this back and forth was that it will be optimized for PC's to the point where someone with a mediocre gaming PC that's a couple years old will still be able to play it. My original question still stands, what kind of PC does that poster have who was considering spending lots of money on a new gaming PC just for this game?

Bsigg12

This alpha has been the best advertising possible for Titanfall. Getting the game into the hands of players so we could finally find out what the hype was all about and then confirm it has pretty much locked this game down as a huge seller. I can't wait to get my hands on the final product after playing the hell out of the alpha this weekend.

ari

Banned
Sure, but my original point that started this back and forth was that it will be optimized for PC's to the point where someone with a mediocre gaming PC that's a couple years old will still be able to play it. My original question still stands, what kind of PC does that poster have who was considering spending lots of money on a new gaming PC just for this game?

I don't know, I also don't know why anyone wants to PC it in all honestly. Just get a Xbox one. Done.

swcpig

Banned
This alpha has been the best advertising possible for Titanfall. Getting the game into the hands of players so we could finally find out what the hype was all about and then confirm it has pretty much locked this game down as a huge seller. I can't wait to get my hands on the final product after playing the hell do it the alpha this weekend.

I think that's the biggest and best thing confirmed.. Its good and meet the hype given. Everything else is incidental.

hate to be a cheerleader but I've not been this excited since mass effect 1. Its just pure quality fun.

From what ive seen so far the game look like good fun. I still dont really like the bots thing but I'll probably get used to it.

Too bad its not on PS4 though as id love to play it how its meant to be played, will get on 360 :/

BigDug13

I don't know, I also don't know why anyone wants to PC it in all honestly. Just get a Xbox one. Done.

You don't know why people would want to game on PC? Or you don't know why people would want to play this particular fast paced twitch shooter with a superior control scheme? Not sure what statement you're making here or why XBO is the must have purchase to play this game. Bias?

In other news that isn't a PC vs Console thing... I got my new avatar here from a graphics designer on the TitanFall Official Alpha boards.

Ya.. figured I put that as my avatar before anyone else did. This proves I'm in the Alpha to a few haters that stock...errrrr follow my post on GAF here. Can only get this by being on those boards. :)

siek made this.

antitrop

smart pistol ;)

At least with the smart pistol you have to wait for a lock-on and it's only effective at relatively close range. Also doesn't it take up your primary weapon slot? It looks pretty balanced to me, seems to be mostly effective to quickly take out Grunts, rather than Pilots.

Bsigg12

At least with the smart pistol you have to wait for a lock-on and it's only effective at relatively close range. Also doesn't it take up your primary weapon slot? It looks pretty balanced to me, seems to be mostly effective to quickly take out Grunts, rather than Pilots.

It takes 3 locks on the pilots to kill them and it takes your primary slot. It will be good for those not great at twitch shooting but it is a short range weapon. All the weapons in the alpha feel really well balanced. If you get caught in the open you're going to die but if you are near cover there's a really good chance you'll survive.

ThankeeSai

Has it finished? I can't connect to the servers (freezes when it says "Connecting").

Also, is anyone else having issues getting onto the forums? When I click the link on the email it says Access Denied.

ari

Banned
You don't know why people would want to game on PC? Or you don't know why people would want to play this particular fast paced twitch shooter with a superior control scheme? Not sure what statement you're making here or why XBO is the must have purchase to play this game. Bias?
It will be the leading system in sales of the title and for an only online game, that's important for me.

EDIT: Not to mention all the exclusive content that hit it first.

antitrop

It will be the leading system in sales of the title and for an only online game, thats important for me.

My money is on 360 taking the most sales, purely due to the install base. Provided it gets at least somewhat comparable reviews to the One/PC version.

swcpig

Banned
My money is on 360 taking the most sales, purely due to the install base. Provided it gets at least somewhat comparable reviews to the One/PC version.

If I had a 360 id leap to the one for this one.... Best game and best console platform? No brainer.

antitrop

Battlefield 4 sold more on last-gen consoles than current-gen, and it's a substantially downgraded version. People will buy the game for the system they have.

As someone who's played quite a lot of CoD multiplayer, Titanfall gunplay almost looks identical to CoD imo. Movement speed seems faster than CoD.
I don't think the addition of some additional movement options and mechs are going to change the basic CoD multiplayer formula that much; run n gun, spray n pray, lone wolf, excessive auto aim. That Titanfall is like this is pretty evident from the videos.

ari

Banned
As someone who's played quite a lot of CoD multiplayer, Titanfall gunplay almost looks identical to CoD imo. Movement speed seems faster than CoD.
I don't think the addition of some additional movement options and mechs are going to change the basic CoD multiplayer formula that much; run n gun, spray n pray, lone wolf, excessive auto aim. That Titanfall is like this is pretty evident from the videos.

I played the alpha, just glimpses and some movements do have the feel of CoD. The lobby and some movements do seem like it, but the intensiveness of the battle, the jetpacking, calling a titan, bringing down a titan, or even evacuating a map while the other team is attempting to intercept you is god-tier on so many levels. It just works.

Lucifon

This alpha has been the best advertising possible for Titanfall. Getting the game into the hands of players so we could finally find out what the hype was all about and then confirm it has pretty much locked this game down as a huge seller. I can't wait to get my hands on the final product after playing the hell out of the alpha this weekend.

I'm almost certain they're going to open this thing up to a wider range of people in a few weeks. Just like they did with CoD4, it's the exact marketing move they need for a brand new MP shooter.

Mayyhem

I feel the exact same way after playing it for two days. I'm almost sure it'll end up just a casual cod-type shooter

Lunzio

So how is the AI?

Also, do y'all think this is different enough from COD from a mainstream perspective to pick up any traction? Obviously marketing has not begun just yet, but, as far as I know, a bunch of my friends who play COD/Madden religiously have no clue this game even exists.

antitrop

So how is the AI?

Also, do y'all think this is different enough from COD from a mainstream perspective to pick up any traction? Obviously marketing has not begun just yet, but, as far as I know, a bunch of my friends who play COD/Madden religiously have no clue this game even exists.
They will when all the reviews come out and the journalists are screaming "FUCK CALL OF DUTY, THIS IS THE GAME THAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYING".

Mayyhem

Thinking about it now and, this same game could have almost surely came out being called Call of Duty: Titanfall or something more clever and it would just be seen as a futuristic CoD, without much questions asked.

So how is the AI?

Commercials are all they need. Advertising for this is going to be all over the place. MS and EA are not going to Sony this game

Top Bottom