• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

CNCOMICS

SGbKlT0.png

OFahS.gif

A part of me feels joy to see the privileged press that gets early access to almost every game (and often rubs it in the face of "consumer peasants") moaning about this on Twitter.

My damn sides!

Interfectum

More like EA ninjas, I bet the Respawn devs themselves would like for nothing more than the entire world to know everything about Titanfall right now.

Yeah you're probably right. If they are seeing the same stuff I'm seeing even on Twitter they gotta be pretty thrilled at the response so far.

I'll be very pleased if we get at least one high quality video of gameplay over the weekend. It's one thing to see those choreographed videos from Respawn, but I want to see natural gameplay videos.

antitrop

Yeah you're probably right. If they are seeing the same stuff I'm seeing even on Twitter they gotta be pretty thrilled at the response so far.

Probably the happiest they've been since E3, yeah. I'm sure the high they're getting from seeing people enjoy the baby they've been working on for 3+ years is unreal.

Who gives a shit if its 720P? I guess all the fun I have been having with Dead Rising 3 and BF4 is fake because because...GASP...they are both 720P

Yea, who cares if a $500, brand new console (not to mention the more expensive and less capable) can barely do resolutions slightly above an 8 year old console!

Seriously, it's a 6 vs.6 source based games. It's not exactly the prettiest. If it can't hit 1080p, I just don't know what to think.

Yea, who cares if a $500, brand new console (not to mention the more expensive and less capable) can barely do resolutions slightly above an 8 year old console!

Seriously, it's a 6 vs.6 source based games. It's not exactly the prettiest. If it can't hit 1080p, I just don't know what to think.

Why are you in here again?

Heysoos

It's a heavily modified version of Source IIRC so not really as simple as a 1 to 1 comparison to current Source titles.

Don't bother, this gets corrected every single time someone says that and it still comes up everytime a Titanfall topic surfaces.

Anyways, really hope for a beta. All these impressions are making me thirsty. :(

Xone9

Banned
the alpha test is a data center stress test... they are having issues right now, and are trying to fix them....

and yes, the graphics are drool worthy

antitrop

This is what the Producer of Titanfall had to say about the engine:

Drew McCoy: At this point I hate to say that it's the Source Engine.

Digital Foundry: In the same way that saying Call of Duty uses the Quake 3 engine?

Drew McCoy: Yeah, I mean we've replaced... it's a whole new renderer, all-new audio code, all-new net code, all-new input code for gamepad. There's some stuff that we've just improved but we've done massive changes. We have our own level editor, we have our own lighting, the way that maps are compiled...

Digital Foundry: But Source is fast, right? It has to be if I can play Portal 2 at 720p60 on a Surface Pro.

Drew McCoy: The thing about the Source Engine when we got it is that we actually branched from Portal 2. It was DX9, very single-threaded and they used the way that engine worked to its best possible potential for Portal. It can't render that much on-screen. The main thread just can't push out enough jobs, so we've done a huge amount of work. We didn't choose this engine because it was going to be 60, we chose this engine knowing that we'd be spending the next two years making it fast.

It's actually a pretty slow engine for showing stuff on-screen. What we have in a level now would run in single digits on what it was before - if you could even get it to load at all. It's been a huge engineering task, so what we did was put all the engineering [team] on the back-end so design [team] could be up and running at the task, otherwise engineering would have to be creating tools and design would be sitting around twiddling their thumbs. We only have a dozen or so engineers - it's pretty small for the amount of work they've done.

Digital Foundry: What's the approach with the renderer?

Drew McCoy: It's all-new. It's like going from a 360 engine to a PS3 engine - or more. It's now a 64-bit app, it's DX11, we've rewritten the way lightmaps are rendered and we have our own lighting system in it. It's not the crazy global illumination real-time everything. It's very tailor-made for our needs. We don't tend to add the whizzbang technical features just because they exist, so that's what we should have. We put more of our effort into design, gameplay and giving our artists the tools they need to make stuff look good. Good performance is our goal.

WizzNARD

I'm totally bummed. Everyone I told about it (none of us got an email except one) got in, except for me! WTF! Oh, well, hopefully I can carve out some time to go over to their house and play a little.

Fletcher

A part of me feels joy to see the privileged press that gets early access to almost every game (and often rubs it in the face of "consumer peasants") moaning about this on Twitter.

Except for the fact that probably shortly after the tweet, they more than likely received a code.

WizzNARD

Also, I keeping holding out hope that a code is gonna pop up in my inbox. I know if I didn't get one by now I'm not getting one, but damn.

I'll be very pleased if we get at least one high quality video of gameplay over the weekend. It's one thing to see those choreographed videos from Respawn, but I want to see natural gameplay videos.

this.

also wanna see what this "campaign multiplayer" is all about. Hard to be too excited if its just match after match of the same game modes.

Wouldn't that footage be some of the first of the game running on the Xbox One? Most impressions from the different gaming shows were from the PC. I don't believe we have seen it yet on Xbox One, so that footage would be some of the first.

I would love to see it as well, but you know the Internet, it will be posted before midnight tonight, I am confident.

Capella

the alpha test is a data center stress test... they are having issues right now, and are trying to fix them....

and yes, the graphics are drool worthy
This is why I really hope there is a beta soon on all platforms, especially since this is a MP only game.

You're right, can't possibly be "drool-worthy". /s
Unless there has been a significant upgrade since the last time we saw footage or the visuals are better than the PC version, I wouldn't call the graphics drool worthy either.

Wouldn't that footage be some of the first of the game running on the Xbox One? Most impressions from the different gaming shows were from the PC. I don't believe we have seen it yet on Xbox One, so that footage would be some of the first.

I would love to see it as well, but you know the Internet, it will be posted before midnight tonight, I am confident.

Correct. First Xbox One footage, and also the first footage of gameplay that wasn't carefully crafted by Respawn. The only gameplay footage that exists of this game is the footage they've shown in their two gameplay trailers.

At all public events where the game was playable they had a strict no video policy. I've searched youtube several times and found nothing. ;)

Top Bottom