• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I would hate to be banned for showing footage from an "invitation". I for one think some of the players who got into the invitation don't give a flying f*ck about quality feedback. Now a days everyone has played a Beta and now Alpha builds are appearing out of nowhere.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I cant wait to play this game but I have a terrible feeling it'll be just like my cod experience: terrible KD ratio as my terrible spatial awareness and reflexes get hammered by 14 year olds heh... Hopefully there's some kind of ranking so i end up with people as terrible as me...

At least 6 vs 6 means it'll be easy to find 11 buddies to just play with all night. You won't even need to worry about smart match stuff in that case.

At least 6 vs 6 means it'll be easy to find 11 buddies to just play with all night. You won't even need to worry about smart match stuff in that case.
Sadly most of my friends are married with kids and in our late 30s, so gaming time tends to be ad hoc and for shortish periods :( I'm sure we will cobble something together though

Mononoke

Banned
just got my code
hope the alpha download also works once the beta starts so i dont have to download again

So they are sending out another batch of codes?

And I would hope that the Beta would be different from the Alpha (would be more closer to the final build).

bidguy

Banned
So they are sending out another batch of codes?

And I would hope that the Beta would be different from the Alpha (would be more closer to the final build).

i have no clue
got the email 6 hours ago but i was sleeping

didnt get an invitation email and im not from the us

Nokterian

Less than two months to go, but they feel like a lifetime.

Yup i agree with that. I hope for the love of god the pc version will run butter smooth from the get go. Pretty tired how unoptimized most shooters are these days on PC expect CS:GO for example and Black Ops 2 (those 2 are very well done). But when i have the game i will be doing this.

carlton-dancing-on-graham-norton.gif

Mononoke

Banned
i have no clue
got the email 6 hours ago but i was sleeping

didnt get an invitation email and im not from the us

Oh okay. Didn't know you got the coder earlier today. I thought you were saying you just got it (meaning, they just sent out a new batch of codes right now). lol My bad. I know some folks were wondering if another batch would go out on Saturday, hence why I was asking. But nvm.

You guys are talking about a beta like it's a sure thing now...did I miss something?

It's not a sure thing. I think someone on twitter (one of the Devs), mentioned they might do a Beta at a later time. But this was when they were explaining what the Alpha Test was to some enraged fans. I don't recall there ever being a confirmation of a Beta. I was just saying, if they do have a Beta, I would hope it would be better than the Alpha (in terms of it being closer to the final build quality). And if that was the case, it would require us to re-download it, as the Alpha is a very small file size and has lower texture quality.

StratJ

Banned
In the UK got my code at 2:10am this morning.

Currently at my girlfriends, cant wait to get back and play this game all day and get high as a kite.

Bring it on guys. I hope I feel the same excitement I did for COD4 back in the day.

Mononoke

Banned
In the UK got my code at 2:10am this morning.

Currently at my girlfriends, cant wait to get back and play this game all day and get high as a kite.

Bring it on guys. I hope I feel the same excitement I did for COD4 back in the day.

I thought they were only doing US?

StratJ

Banned
I thought they were only doing US?
I applied as someone from the UK, changed my origin account to the US and refreshed the page and it just prompted me the ToS straight away.

My mate got the email invite even though he's in the UK, so I don't know if he's got his set like that.

Mononoke

Banned
I applied as someone from the UK, changed my origin account to the US and refreshed the page and it just prompted me the ToS straight away.

My mate got the email invite even though he's in the UK, so I don't know if he's got his set like that.

Hah, that's awesome. I know you are going to enjoy this. :)

Whats the general consensus then about Titanfall, Were some happy? Did it play like
COD, Maps big/small? Will the player count become boring after a few weeks?

I just hope whatever servers they use will be ready for the load on launch as if next gen has proved anything, It's that expect crash's from rushed products.

Mononoke

Banned
Whats the general consensus then about Titanfall, Were some happy? Did it play like
COD, Maps big/small? Will the player count become boring after a few weeks?

I just hope whatever servers they use will be ready for the load on launch as if next gen has proved anything, It's that expect crash's from rushed products.

Keep in mind this is Alpha, so there are things that could change (such as the AI, which I talk about below).

General consensus is that most think it's a blast to play. A lot of people seem skeptical about the technical performance (game looks ugly as hell in this Alpha Test, but someone at Respawn said it was only 25% of the texture quality, and that the final build is 75% better then what is in Alpha). There is some skepticism about AI and how it's used (in every match, there is set of AI that spawns on each team called Grunts. They respawn constantly throughout the map. They virtually serve no threat, and you can take down 5 of them at the same time without even getting shot once. Their sole purpose is to give you points, which then speeds up your Titanfall. They add an element, in terms of players and teams wracking up points to get their Titanfall quicker). So there is some doubt about the AI, and how they work. Some feel they are used to make players feel like they are doing good, even when they have a bad game (I personally disagree). But overall, I would say most are having an a blast playing it. I know I had a lot of fun today.

It def plays like COD. But it also feels like a natural evolution of it. The way you are able to traverse the landscape changes everything. It means that the game is no longer about twitch shooting, but requires more skill and more action to battle. You can actually escape from your enemies in this (as compared to COD, which is very much you die, respawn. You die respawn). The Titan battles are epic, and again..just add more overall strategy. It's basically a race to rack up as many points (and as quickly as possible), so you can get a Titanfall.

The Titan fights are a nice struggle, and aren't just over in 10 seconds. So it becomes this thing where you want to get as many Titans on a map as possible (so you want your team to have 2 or 3 Titans so you can overcome battles and take down the other teams Titans). It doesn't really play like Titan's running around and killing a bunch of humans and racking up kills (sort of how Killstreaks feel in COD). There is always that check and balance, because the other team is going to get a Titan. So they are always battling. But the struggle is teams getting more Titan's quicker so that tides turn in their favor in Titan battles.

What feels like COD, is the speed and hectic nature of the game. But there is a lot more things that add strategy to it, and make it different. Maps are more on the medium side (I guess some would say small). The 6 vs. 6 is actually a really great balance. You won't notice it tbh.

Keep in mind this is Alpha, so there are things that could change (such as the AI, which I talk about below).

General consensus is that most think it's a blast to play. A lot of people seem skeptical about the technical performance (game looks ugly as hell in this Alpha Test, but someone at Respawn said it was only 25% of the texture quality, and that the final build is 75% better then what is in Alpha). There is some skepticism about AI and how it's used (in every match, there is set of AI that spawns on each team called Grunts. They respawn constantly throughout the map. They virtually serve no threat, and you can take down 5 of them at the same time without even getting shot once. Their sole purpose is to give you points, which then speeds up your Titanfall. They add an element, in terms of players and teams wracking up points to get their Titanfall quicker). So there is some doubt about the AI, and how they work. Some feel they are used to make players feel like they are doing good, even when they have a bad game (I personally disagree). But overall, I would say most are having an a blast playing it. I know I had a lot of fun today.

It def plays like COD. But it also feels like a natural evolution of it. The way you are able to traverse the landscape changes everything. It means that the game is no longer about twitch shooting, but requires more skill and more action to battle. You can actually escape from your enemies in this (as compared to COD, which is very much you die, respawn. You die respawn). The Titan battles are epic, and again..just add more overall strategy. It's basically a race to rack up as many points (and as quickly as possible), so you can get a Titanfall.

The Titan fights are a nice struggle, and aren't just over in 10 seconds. So it becomes this thing where you want to get as many Titans on a map as possible (so you want your team to have 2 or 3 Titans so you can overcome battles and take down the other teams Titans). It doesn't really play like Titan's running around and killing a bunch of humans and racking up kills (sort of how Killstreaks feel in COD). There is always that check and balance, because the other team is going to get a Titan. So they are always battling. But the struggle is teams getting more Titan's quicker so that tides turn in their favor in Titan battles.

What feels like COD, is the speed and hectic nature of the game. But there is a lot more things that add strategy to it, and make it different. Maps are more on the medium side (I guess some would say small). The 6 vs. 6 is actually a really great balance. You won't notice it tbh.

Can you kill grunts/creeps to get an titan or is it on a reset timer?
If so i can see coordinated teams comeback when doing a grunt farm run to earn titandrop.

Mononoke

Banned
Just played my first game.

Feels nothing like CoD

Meh. I think for most people, it will feel like COD. Or rather, it will feel like a natural extension of COD. But we can agree to disagree. I think the key thing is, it's not COD 1:1. This game has a lot more going on that makes it stand on its own. I'll admit that I could be wrong though. I'm not always the best, when it comes to describing the feeling of a game. All I know is, as someone that hasn't liked COD since Modern Warfare 2, I'm absolutely loving this game.

Can you kill grunts/creeps to get an titan or is it on a reset timer?
If so i can see coordinated teams comeback when doing a grunt farm run to earn titandrop.

Killing grunts gives you points, which speed up the time you get a Titanfall. So the more grunts you kill, the quicker it happens. I don't think your Titanfall counter ever resets. Like, if you get killed, I don't think it falls back. But I could be wrong on that. I'll have to check next time I hop on (or maybe someone else can answer that).

To clarify, every single person has their own Titanfall counter. Your counter naturally counts down to Zero when a match starts. But the more kills you get (whether Grunts, or against other human players), the fast that clock speeds up. So you want to get kills so you can get into a Titan quicker. Once your Titan dies and you eject from it, your clock starts all over again. This clock is always in a cycle and never stops.

pelican

Good to see some us managed to sneak under the net.

Like a fool I forgot to change my region to the US while doing my application.

Ubersnug

Bah! Two of my fellow UK buddies got Alpha codes by going direct to the link, just like I did. I've yet to get one.

Just to clarify, neither of us got the original email inviting us.

Mononoke

Banned
Bah! Two of my fellow UK buddies got Alpha codes by going direct to the link, just like I did. I've yet to get one.

Just to clarify, neither of us got the original email inviting us.

Did they get an NDA? I think if you went to the link and got the NDA and signed it, then you got in (and your Origin account had to be set to the U.S. I think that played a part in triggering the NDA. If you logged into an Origin account outside the US and signed up, you didn't get the NDA, therefore won't get the code).

Of course, I'm not 100% on that. I think some got the NDA, and still didn't get in (it seemed to be limited and random. Maybe first come first serve).

Jezehbell

I'm french. I put my region settings on US and i got the key, I'm playing it right now.

Edit : Actually, it's my Origin account, in case of some people misunderstood.

Killing grunts gives you points, which speed up the time you get a Titanfall. So the more grunts you kill, the quicker it happens. I don't think your Titanfall counter ever resets. Like, if you get killed, I don't think it falls back. But I could be wrong on that. I'll have to check next time I hop on (or maybe someone else can answer that).

To clarify, every single person has their own Titanfall counter. Your counter naturally counts down to Zero when a match starts. But the more kills you get (whether Grunts, or against other human players), the fast that clock speeds up. So you want to get kills so you can get into a Titan quicker. Once your Titan dies and you eject from it, your clock starts all over again. This clock is always in a cycle and never stops.

Because with the grunts i see getting your titan as getting your ultimate in a moba?
Please say there is an respawn timer?

Because with an respawn timer it should make it so teams play save or team takes risk and get rewarded for getting their titans earlier.
Or im looking/hoping for too much competition in a game that isn't..

Ubersnug

Did they get an NDA? I think if you went to the link and got the NDA and signed it, then you got in (and your Origin account had to be set to the U.S. I think that played a part in triggering the NDA. If you logged into an Origin account outside the US and signed up, you didn't get the NDA, therefore won't get the code).

Of course, I'm not 100% on that. I think some got the NDA, and still didn't get in (it seemed to be limited and random. Maybe first come first serve).

Yep, we all set our accounts to the US and got the NDA and signed it. I also know for a fact I signed it before my friends, so it wasn't a first come first served sort of scenario. Perhaps Respawn was correct, only those who got the originals emails were supposed to get in but some people slipped through the net. Lucky buggers that you are!

Edit: they got their emails at 2am GMT

Mononoke

Banned
Because with the grunts i see getting your titan as getting your ultimate in a moba?
Please say there is an respawn timer?

Yeah, you can look at it that way. Grunts basically are like creeps in a Moba. There is a very brief respawn timer after you die. It's very very short though. Spawning in this game is really good though. I've never died unfairly. I've never been spawn killed. No one has ever spawned behind me. You don't die at the same speed you do COD.

EDIT: Oh you probably mean a respawn time for the grunts. Yeah, but I don't recall how long it is. I know Grunts randomly spawn in different areas of the map. I don't believe it's a set path/pattern. So you can't just sit in one spot and spam kill them. At least, not that I recall. But the speed with which you can travel the level, you can easily find grunts pretty quickly.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

Mononoke

Banned
So how is the general reception so far? Is it 720p?

Texture quality was set to 25% of the final build (so it will be 75% better in final release). It actually looks awful in this Alpha test. So it's hard to gauge graphics based on this test, and the fact that they purposely lowered the quality. As far as reception, I made a post a couple up. I think it sums up how most feel. But tldr; Game is so much fun. Gameplay is amazing, most seem to be really enjoying it.

Yeah, you can look at it that way. Grunts basically are like creeps in a Moba. There is a very brief respawn timer after you die. It's very very short though. Spawning in this game is really good though. I've never died unfairly. I've never been spawn killed. No one has ever spawned behind me. You don't die at the same speed you do COD.

EDIT: Oh you probably mean a respawn time for the grunts. Yeah, but I don't recall how long it is. I know Grunts randomly spawn in different areas of the map. I don't believe it's a set path/pattern. So you can't just sit in one spot and spam kill them. At least, not that I recall. But the speed with which you can travel the level, you can easily find grunts pretty quickly.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

Meant for the player :p
If you get an respawn timer that goes of every 30 seconds you dont want to die and loss a potential max 30 seconds if your unlucky of player killing and grunts farming..

Talking about grunts do they have a predetermine path through a level because i can see devs use that to create hotspots where players will meet.

Can someone playing the alpha give a quick heads up about what is shown on the radar?
Teammates obv, AI teammates? Enemies? Enemy AI? Titans?

I couldn't make that out in the E3 footage etc

thanks in advance :)

Didn't play it but for months I've been saying this will be like Quake 3 + Call of Duty + Shogo.

Does it feel like it?

I've also been saying for months this will be to Xbone what Halo was to Xbox and Gears to Xbox 360. A hyper system seller.

Does it feel like it?

p3tran

Banned
so, let me write down my first disappointment with the xbone:

I do have an xbone, I do have bf4 on xbone, I do have an american account.
I DO NOT HAVE A KEY IN MY MAILBOX YET!

T.O.P

Banned
Goddamn the more videos i watch the more fun this shit looks

I'm scared to say that Titanfall even surpasses DS2 for my most anticipated game in March, jesus

StratJ

Banned
This game very well lived up to the hype so far, my god.

I want to confirm the resolution of the alpha because its obvious but Im not allowed. Considering a few other elements in the game though, im thinking its not going to stay that way.

Top Bottom