• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

Ghazi

I believe these guys are developing the 360 version? I believe that was what FamousMortimer may have said in the past.

http://bluepointgames.com/

http://playeressence.com/bluepoint-games-working-on-the-titanfall-xbox-360-port/

FamousMortimer is the source, via twitter.
I don't know what to think, at first I thought they were responsible for ZoE HD and got scared, but apparently not?

W1iEHYe.png

I don't know what to think, at first I thought they were responsible for ZoE HD and got scared, but apparently not?

Their PlayStation ports have been fantastic, but they do not seem to have a lot of experience with development on the 360. They are very talented, so the port appears to be in good hands.

Mononoke

Banned
It's at 9pm PST so 50 more minutes

Bizarre the email that was sent out to me said 8pm.

The Alpha Trial has been extended.

Thanks again for joining the Titanfall closed Alpha Trial. We need to make sure our servers can handle the upcoming action and we need you to play the Alpha Trial today during the following hours:

Monday, 1/20: 1:00PM PST TO 8:00PM PST

Ghazi

If they truly want to get in with the competitive crowd, I really think they need an option to turn off bots in custom/private games. What competitive scene wants to play a game that lets enemies feed/boost their score off bots that are really bad? I think it's fine for online, but this kind of thing won't work very well with the pros, I would think they'd want to just 6v6 vs each other with Titans being a bit rarer and a gamechanger rather than having score, skill, Titans, and etc muddied up by bots.

Just my two cents, since I watch competitive scenes for so many different games.

Mononoke

Banned
If they truly want to get in with the competitive crowd, I really think they need an option to turn off bots in custom/private games. What competitive scene wants to play a game that lets enemies feed/boost their score off bots that are really bad? I think it's fine for online, but this kind of thing won't work very well with the pros, I would think they'd want to just 6v6 vs each other with Titans being a bit rarer and a gamechanger rather than having score, skill, Titans, and etc muddied up by bots.

Just my two cents, since I watch competitive scenes for so many different games.

I wonder if the 6 vs 6 will work without bots. It's an interesting proposal. At the very least, I can see people wanting a mode without them. Like a hardcore more. I think the problem is, there is a balance to the Titan sytem, and how they impact combat. If you made Titans super rare, then someone could roll the entire map (similar to how people dominate in insane ways with killstreaks). Whereas the current system has everyone with an automatic countdown to a Titanfall.

In your version, they would need to not only remove the bots, but also get rid of that countdown. Or they would need to make the countdown a lot slower. With only pilot kills giving a huge boost to speeding it up.

CyReN

I'm a competitive Halo/CoD guy and loved the Alpha.

With competitive shooters we have to let the metagame evolve first before we are stripping stuff (of course there can be insanely broken things) but from the Halo/CoD side of things I've seen too much stripped for MLG etc. The scene has calmed down with that a lot recently though.

Bsigg12

Server just went down and Azula on the main page in the message is where I saw the 9pm thing. I knew I wasn't going crazy

Actually, maybe not. I just rejoined a game after the server said it disconnected.

Mononoke

Banned
Server just went down and Azula on the main page in the message is where I saw the 9pm thing. I knew I wasn't going crazy

Actually, maybe not. I just rejoined a game after the server said it disconnected.

Ah, okay. I didn't see that. Wonder why there was a difference between the email and the main page. Guess it doesn't matter now. So sad this is over. :(

EDIT: Yeah nevermind. I'm still able to play more games. Hmmm.

Ghazi

I wonder if the 6 vs 6 will work without bots. It's an interesting proposal. At the very least, I can see people wanting a mode without them. Like a hardcore more. I think the problem is, there is a balance to the Titan sytem, and how they impact combat. If you made Titans super rare, then someone could roll the entire map (similar to how people dominate in insane ways with killstreaks). Whereas the current system has everyone with an automatic countdown to a Titanfall.

In your version, they would need to not only remove the bots, but also get rid of that countdown. Or they would need to make the countdown a lot slower. With only pilot kills giving a huge boost to speeding it up.
I don't see titans being that huge of a problem, if the team coordinates their attacks well and together they could take it out fairly easily. Especially since everyone has anti Titan weaponry available to them. This is even possible in CoD, but less common.
I'm a competitive Halo/CoD guy and loved the Alpha.

With competitive shooters we have to let the metagame evolve first before we are stripping stuff (of course there can be insanely broken things) but from the Halo/CoD side of things I've seen too much stripped for MLG etc. The scene has calmed down with that a lot recently though.
I can agree with this, but I think letting Grunt kills affect the game scores is a no no, I foresee the game being about killing more grunts than actual enemy players and that doesn't sound like it would work well in MLG/pro leagues. You know me, I'm a huge fan of the simplicity of Halo and its game types, so maybe I'm blind to these sorts of things.
only the 2 biggest competitive games of all time dota and league of legends
I play both and was trying to keep the comparison out of it. It's different, and both MOBAs are much more complicated than TitanFall appears to be. Feeding off Creeps and Minions to level yourself up is different than killing grunts to up your team's score and win over the other by killing their bots (alongside how the bots don't seem to fight back and they do boost your timer to get your "ultimate"/Titan).

For those that were complaining about the 6 vs 6 player count, wishing there was more human players.

I posted this in the other thread, but the thread was closed. I wonder if the fact that this game is being developed on 360 as well, somewhat hindered how many human controlled players can actually be in the game? This is an assumption, hear me out, but if you had 12 vs 12 for example, with everyone still being able to call a Titan every 3 minutes or less, you could have a scenario with 24 titans running around the map at the same time. We all know how much respect Respawn has for 60fps, that has been a goal from the beginning.

I wonder if the 360 version could still run all that carnage, at 60fps, without any slowdown. It would be chaotic and hectic (and awesome) but quite the chore on a last gen system. Especially with the speed this game is running at. I just do not know if more players would be possible.. Unless they gimped the 360 version or had to make major changes of some sort.

Several people have commented that during this alpha test the framerate can drop when there are multiple Titans in an area battling.

So yeah, if the XB1 version is having a little trouble with 6 Vs 6, you can bet the 360 is gonna be compromised in some major ways.

Bsigg12

Just had an epic punch of a pilot from my titan. Some guy was trying to rodeo one of my teammate's auto titan while he captured b on fracture and I turned really quick and blew the enemy up with my fist in midair before he got to the titan.

Bsigg12

Well it's over. Got 80 games in. A few quick thoughts:

This game is damn fun.

There is a surpring amount of depth in the Titan combat with the movement, weapons and abilities that were available in this test.

The weapons are really well balanced for the ones in the test. Always had a pretty good mix of weapons being used by each team.

Grunts and spectres are really key to winning in attrition while are pretty much useless in hardpoint. Stringing kills together in attrition of the NPCs can net you a lot of points for your team.

6v6 works out really well ad there is rarely times you're not near someone else. Also, have 12 titans fighting at once can be a madhouse.

Both maps in the test were really well designed and helped showcase different styles of play with the Titans. Angel City and the close quarters all around the whole map has everyone dashing around corners to try and get to cover or the jump on someone. In Fracture, it was more about having 3-4 titans together at a time to swarm enemies on a huge line of sight map.

This game is fucking fun. Can't wait for a beta to play again, and if there isn't one, March 11th will be insane.

Mononoke

Banned
Well it's over. Got 80 games in. A few quick thoughts:

This game is damn fun.

There is a surpring amount of depth in the Titan combat with the movement, weapons and abilities that were available in this test.

The weapons are really well balanced for the ones in the test. Always had a pretty good mix of weapons being used by each team.

Grunts and spectres are really key to winning in attrition while are pretty much useless in hardpoint. Stringing kills together in attrition of the NPCs can net you a lot of points for your team.

6v6 works out really well ad there is rarely times you're not near someone else. Also, have 12 titans fighting at once can be a madhouse.

Both maps in the test were really well designed and helped showcase different styles of play with the Titans. Angel City and the close quarters all around the whole map has everyone dashing around corners to try and get to cover or the jump on someone. In Fracture, it was more about having 3-4 titans together at a time to swarm enemies on a huge line of sight map.

This game is fucking fun. Can't wait for a beta to play again, and if there isn't one, March 11th will be insane.

Yeah pretty much agree with all this. I still see room for improvement, that I hope is in the final build. Like I still think the AI needs to be tweaked some more. And I hope the level up system is well rounded out enough that it gives incentive to make it to top and continue playing for a year on. I hope that there is more weapons in the final version. I liked all the weapons we got in Alpha, and agree they are really balanced. But I think there needs to be more variety for longer term sustainability. Although I like the level system for the add ons. Hopefully they get a 60 FPS locked for the final.

Lastly, the only thing I would add is, bumper jumper should be the default control. It's the only way to play. :p

JaMarco

I hope that there is more weapons in the final version. I liked all the weapons we got in Alpha, and agree they are really balanced. But I think there needs to be more variety for longer term sustainability.
Isn't there 2 more titan types confirmed that weren't even in the Alpha? I think it's a given there will be more weapons/titans/perks than was shown.

Bsigg12

Isn't there 2 more titan types confirmed that weren't even in the Alpha? I think it's a given there will be more weapons/titans/perks than was shown.

Yea the Ogre and Stryker classes.

There will definitely be more perks for both pilots and titans along with ordnance for titans. You only have the option of the rocket salvo with the titan. With weapons, they modeled the controller after the C-101 which wasn't in the alpha, only the R-101 was. I have no idea what else they'll add since all basic types of guns seem to be covered.

Marleyman

Banned
Loved my experience with this game. I was already sold, but the Alpha actually helped a few people who came over also become sold on it.

Top Bottom