• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE: New Batman Game A REBOOT; Coming Fall 2020

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Sources close to GWW have confirmed that WB Montreal’s new Batman game is a “soft reboot” of the critically acclaimed Batman: Arkham franchise.

This will come as a shock to some who were hoping to see a continuation of the popular franchise. A sequel to Arkham Knight was considered early on, with Bruce Wayne’s son, Damian, taking over the cape and cowl. This was was cancelled before WB Montreal got a chance to announce it at The Game Awards in 2016. What followed was a string of different ideas and management shifts before the studio decided to settle on a fresh start, away from the Arkhamverse.

The new Batman game will kick off a new, somewhat cohesive DC Game Universe. Shortly after it’s release this Fall, it will be followed up by a next-gen DC game from the creators of the Batman: Arkham franchise, Rocksteady Studios. The roadmap from there is foggy; sources have said that a next-gen Superman game (NOT ROCKSTEADY) is also in the works at WB, but nothing confirmed yet.

Details on the story, plot, and gameplay are being kept tightly under wraps. We know that it will feature a playable Batfamily, the infamous Court of Owls, and have the introduction of co-op into the franchise.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'm so effin' tired of all these Batman leaks and rumors.

giphy.gif

Roufianos

We know that it will feature a playable Batfamily, the infamous Court of Owls, and have the introduction of co-op into the franchise.

That sounds like ass. They should look to Asylum for a template for the new series, not the bloated mess that was Arkham Knight.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
I agree but I'm curious as to how we'd do it. The dudes pretty much invincible.

Goons with kryptonite guns and an alien race as powerful if not more powerful. Weak I know, but I'm sure they can figure something out. I think good flight dynamics for a person as opposed to an aircraft will be a bigger challenge.

Strider311

Give me more Batman! Straight into my veins! Although I am conflicted about a reboot. I love the established universe, but I guess if you are opening up to all of DC you sort of need to.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Last night I actually dreamed that the new Arkham game came out, and it was a co-op third-person shooter (with like, up to six players at a time?). I think it was based around a version of the Suicide Squad, but for some reason Quake from Agents of SHIELD was also playable. Had a real large roster, and a lot of them were probably made-up.

Also I've never heard of The GWW so I'm not inclined to trust what they say.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
The only thing I care about being rebooted is the combat mechanics. After 2 of the games, I feel like I'm bored of it and just can't do it anymore. It's the reason I can't seem to play Spiderman on PS4.

VertigoOA

Banned
tumblr_mwdym5mE9U1rrkahjo2_r1_500.gifv
Why does it need a "reboot"?

I think the story that was needed to tell was pretty much wrapped up with Arkham Knight with Rocksteady’s trilogy.

I don’t mind them treating the Batman games the same way they do the films.

I love the first two Keaton movies. The Nolan trilogy is its awesome interpretation. Batman can do that and always be exciting. And to be honest, as far as Batman fandom goes, the Arkham games are just as awesome as those movies were for me. In ways I enjoy them even more

The only thing I don’t like from these rumors is that it’ll be part of some shared universe. Batman will forever be best as its own self-contained thing.

As much I shit on super hero movies and don’t care for them... I will always be there for Batman day one. The GOAT.

Damian Wayne.... L O fucking L

Last edited:

TimFL

the problem with superman its hard to make a interesting game out of it. with batman and spiderman traversal is fun and needs skill, you actually get much better at it as the game goes on. superman can just fly and also has no gadgets. wolverine would be awesome though.
The only way I‘m playing a Wolverine game is if it‘s 18+ and has Wolverines health reflected in his physical condition (like the movie tie-in). Dying could time skip until your body recovered from the injuries you sustained.
Think a midde earth shadow of mordor style game in terms of revive mechanic where dying punishes you by allowing your enemies to become stronger or advance their individual plots.

Then again, I‘d rather have a Superman game that goes balls to the walls with his OPness (allow me to fly through buildings, heavily damaging them in the process etc).

Fbh

At this point they've had so many teases, rumors and speculations that I don't see a scenario where people are actually pleased with what they announce.

Reboot doesn't sound bad, hopefully the use it to change things up because Arkham Knight already felt like they had run out of ideas of what to do with the formula (that was Rocksteady though)

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
I’m always going to be hyped for Batman ...

What I want most is Keaton and his likeness to be used as Batman in game form. As a sequel to Batman Returns.

The Tim Burton art direction, the god tier Danny Elfman soundtrack and recreating a youthful Keaton with modern gaming tech. Goddamn that would be amazing.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I’m always going to be hyped for Batman ...

What I want most is Keaton and his likeness to be used as Batman in game form. As a sequel to Batman Returns.

The Tim Burton art direction, the god tier Danny Elfman soundtrack and recreating a youthful Keaton with modern gaming tech. Goddamn that would be amazing.
Anton Furst did a great job designing Burton’s Gotham.

At this point I just wanna see what they are making, for gods sake ya'll haven't put out a single game this entire generation, come out with something already.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The Batman Who Laughs, open-world crime-syndicate simulation. Picking off heroes one by one after carefully orchestrating your supervillain plan, like how AssCreed was originally supposed to let you plan your assassination route.

Carna

Banned
Why not make a Wonder Woman, or Flash game. since the respective movie and TV show. are successful?

These Batman leaks are really crazy tho.

GustavoLT

What about a superman game where you fly inside rings as fast as you can to pass the level! It will include a time limit nearly to perfection becouse we are talking about superman! Super fast hero!!!

J3nga

Tired of this Batman teasing/rumours nonsense TBH, kinda stopped caring.

Last edited:

GV82

Yeah Sources close to me says a Batman game is coming

One Day lol

Last edited:
I like a new take on batman, Batman is a mythos that cn be retold with a slightly different look all the time. I actually did my own version of how i see Batman in unreal engine as a personal project.

That being said, i dont like when batman is attached to a dc universe like the comics...i dont really like superheroes...and especially not DC's....so meh.

The Arkham continuity definitely needs to be dropped in favor of a fresh start, it told a complete, interesting story, it's done.

I just want to actually play as Batman in a Batman game, not his son or whatever.

Strider311

No need to reboot as the Arkham games are the best Batman games. Just do more and add more to them.
I would happily take an endless stream of Arkham sequels. They are my favorite series and I’m perfectly happy playing new stories with that set up and universe. That said, I’ll take any Batman I can get.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I would happily take an endless stream of Arkham sequels. They are my favorite series and I’m perfectly happy playing new stories with that set up and universe. That said, I’ll take any Batman I can get.
basically the Arkham series were that good it got copied by the new Spiderman game which is also excellent

Top Bottom