• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusives are objectively a good thing for the Industry, there should be more fully exclusive games.

Bryank75

Banned
I disagree, I would love to only have to buy one console and benefit from the offer of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo at once. Why would I want to have 3 plastic boxes instead of 1?

So you'd like if there was just PlayStation and everyone that wanted to play on console just went to that.... it would make things simpler. Devs would only need to make one console version.
Multiplayer servers would be easier to populate.

But we would have less competition...would be a tradeoff.

Only way I see it happening is if Xbox are allowed put GP on PlayStation.

jhjfss

I welcome the move to streaming services. The reason we have hardware is because game streaming isn't really viable...for now.
This is the same place video streaming was 10-15 years ago. People had to buy a dvd player and dvds to watch content. Now you don't need to because the infrastructure is much better and viable for hundreds of millions of people around the world.
Instead of focusing on the outdated model of tying exclusives to physical hardware, you can just tie it to an online subscription service. I get bryans point of the importance of exclusives - attract people to your ecosystem. Just look at all the video services- they have exclusive content to attract people. Im sure sony and MS can do the same without the need for hardware.
Ms4qo0J.jpg

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I welcome the move to streaming services. The reason we have hardware is because game streaming isn't really viable...for now.
This is the same place video streaming was 10-15 years ago. People had to buy a dvd player and dvds to watch content. Now you don't need to because the infrastructure is much better and viable for hundreds of millions of people around the world.
Instead of focusing on the outdated model of tying exclusives to physical hardware, you can just tie it to an online subscription service. I get bryans point of the importance of exclusives - attract people to your ecosystem. Just look at all the video services- they have exclusive content to attract people. Im sure sony and MS can do the same without the need for hardware.
Ms4qo0J.jpg

(Not really the focus of the thread....however)

It really doesn't matter about infrastructure.... with console supply constrained and streaming available from multiple vendors (Xcloud, PSNow, Luna, Stadia, Gforce etc etc) it was the ultimate chance for cloud to take off, especially with CP2077 being superior on the service to other places.

Gamers and consumers just don't care....you can't make consumers do something they don't want or care about.

My question to you is: How many people do you think are waiting to hear cloud gaming is a fraction of a second less lag on average than before?? So they can move permanently to cloud gaming?? Not Many is the answer.

Also the revenue structure chart you posted is only possible due to hardware....if you eliminate hardware and now only have the PSNow subscription, you lose 47 million PSPlus subscriptions..... and ypu probably use a huge chunk of your MTX cause instead of owning the console and having cash free each month, the customer is now paying the PSNow / streaming sub.

The chart above only really shows the growth of 3rd party sales and the massive growth of free to play and MTX, which is now PlayStations biggest revenue stream. (Fortnite, Warzone, Genshin Impact etc)

Basically if they go streaming, it will destroy the model and cut the revenue in less than half in no time short.

People pay for the hardware up front so they can then use their disposable monthly income to spend on games, MTX, add ons and subs.How can one sub make up for all that lost income????

Papacheeks

Banned
exclusives make most sense for the pc. Due to real time strategy, simulation, mods, visual options, customizable servers, most tolerant for hentai or gory games. There are a lot of reasons that a game developer will want to make their games a PC exclusive. For consoles? Other than making people buy the console, there are basically no other reasons for it.

I think you need a history lesson about hardware and consoles in the 80's-90's. Specific hardware configs that some companies like sega/Sony/Nintendo/3DO were for specific reasons to run specific games. 3DO, Neo Geo, Sega, Playstation were trying to bring arcades to homes. Back then unless the game was released, and re-made for PC hardware it was usually designed around unique boards and hardware.
Hell a lot of games were made on a board period, there was no software kits. So custom boards and chips were made by Sega, Sony, Neo Geo to be able to run arcade games close to their cabinet partners.

These customizations are why software and specific hardware configs are a thing.
Though times have changed and games are purely designed in a software environment instead of straight board designing like in arcade cabinets. The idea is still the same in terms of features that are unique in how the game can run. Exampled custom I/O solution for PS5 is to streamline things that take up cpu processing. As time goes on we are going to see more customizations that are more apparant to Sony's design from first party as developers get more time with it and the sdk matures more.

kingfey

Banned
My question to you is: How many people do you think are waiting to hear cloud gaming is a fraction of a second less lag on average than before?? So they can move permanently to cloud gaming?? Not Many is the answer.
Everyone. Its only minority of you guys.

The ability to play your favorite games anywhere will win.

People subbed to netflix, because it was more convenient for them to watch movies. They didnt have to sit in the cinema with annoying people, or wait inline buy movies. That convenient is what made cloud movies take of fast.

If people can buy Sony day1 games on cloud gaming service, they will immediately join it, while ignoring the lag.

Its human nature, to want easy stuff. And that is what cloud gaming is delivering.

jhjfss

Plenty of people will switch to cloud if latency if less than 100ms. Heck, that is already possible on stadia and geforceNOW. Cloud streaming will continue gaining in popularity over time. You seem to think latency is important to the average user. They couldn't tell the difference between 30 fps and 120 fps even if you slapped them across the face with it. They will happily play a game with 250 ms latency because they wouldn't know the difference.

kingfey

Banned
Plenty of people will switch to cloud if latency if less than 100ms. Heck, that is already possible on stadia and geforceNOW. Cloud streaming will continue gaining in popularity over time. You seem to think latency is important to the average user. They couldn't tell the difference between 30 fps and 120 fps even if you slapped them across the face with it. They will happily play a game with 250 ms latency because they wouldn't know the difference.
If console players can play their games at 30 fps, then they wouldnt know the difference between a console gameplay and a cloud gaming gameplay.
Clap Good Job GIF by Team Coco

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Ms4qo0J.jpg
Passively watching content that can be buffered is very different from sending and receiving inputs measured in milliseconds.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
So you'd like if there was just PlayStation and everyone that wanted to play on console just went to that.... it would make things simpler. Devs would only need to make one console version.
Multiplayer servers would be easier to populate.

But we would have less competition...would be a tradeoff.

Only way I see it happening is if Xbox are allowed put GP on PlayStation.

This already exists and it's PC. All MS and soon all PS games + all multiplats. PC + Nintendo seems like the way to go.

Bryank75

Banned

Proven my point... its ready for these mythical 'average consumers'..... yet its gaining zero traction and failed countless times.

jhjfss

Proven my point... its ready for these mythical 'average consumers'..... yet its gaining zero traction and failed countless times.
Plenty of people are using it, you just don't want to accept it. Sticking your head in the sand won't do you any good.
vVxD4MB.jpg

Kumomeme

WiiU had the same exclusives as Switch from Nintendo. It did not help.

You need both exclusives and the right hardware. And the right price point and the right 3rd parties ports for the hardware.
it is actually help. thanks to the exclusive, Wii U live a little bit longer than expected. if not for it. it already die at faster rate.

Wii U failure contributed to various another factor which is, wont help the console at all.

Last edited:

fermcr

It's not the hardware that brings the money, it's the software and services that bring the big money. Like it or not, Sony are in the gaming business to make money.
The more platforms they launch their games and services, the more money they make. It's not going to be a small vocal minority die hard Sony fanboys that's going to change their mind.

I agree with Bryank75. Genuine, true exclusives are needed to push the true capabilities of hardware, create unique experiences, to give platforms an identity and to create better games to convince gamers to buy hardware.

Some of the best games ever made are exclusive games. Why do you think Nintendo is still relevant after all these years? If we have no exclusives, then why not just have one platform that has all games? Why buy Microsoft’s next console if it has no new experiences or exclusives to offer? Competition pushes creativity and quality.

There’s a reason Microsoft purchased Bethesda for such an exorbitant amount of money. They wanted more games for Gamepass obviously, but they also wanted exclusives and franchises that helped distinguish them from the competition I’m insinuating.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
You still go here don't you

Blockbuster.jpg
Never used one and I've only been in one once in my life. Fact!

Gamepass is basically the same thing, so is cloud gaming...you just dont have to go to a physical store.... that's what is ironic about you posting this.

Bryank75

Banned
It's not the hardware that brings the money, it's the software and services that bring the big money. Like it or not, Sony are in the gaming business to make money.
The more platforms they launch their games and services, the more money they make. It's not going to be a small vocal minority die hard Sony fanboys that's going to change their mind.
You obviously don't understand the model...the function of exclusives and how it MTX, 3rd party sales and services will collapse without the hardware ecosystem.

With a subscription, you cannot pur yet another subscription inside it...you cannot put game sales inside the sub. You will only get a fraction of the income.

The only way that it could succeed is with massive increases on numbers and you risk losing your original customers who spent more than casual or perspective customers.

I will not be playing on a cloud service, I'd rather quit gaming.

Bryank75

Banned
Plenty of people are using it, you just don't want to accept it. Sticking your head in the sand won't do you any good.
vVxD4MB.jpg
Worrying for PC gaming.... maybe PC gamers are not satisfied. Or maybe the hardware is too hard to acquire or too expensive due to recent events.

It will only get worse with all these new rules banning pre-builds.

Bryank75

Banned
This already exists and it's PC. All MS and soon all PS games + all multiplats. PC + Nintendo seems like the way to go.
With pre-builds just banned in 6 states and new energy laws coming in...it's only a matter of time before high end cards are all banned.

A console that has energy efficiency, standardized performance targets and the best balance between cost and performance is what I am saying.

jhjfss

It will only get worse with all these new rules banning pre-builds.
You are just regurgitating nonsense spread by others. There is no ban on pre builds or high wattage gpus. That ban is on electronic device that consume too much power during sleep/idle. Dell already fixed that issue.

Brofist

Never used one and I've only been in one once in my life. Fact!

Gamepass is basically the same thing, so is cloud gaming...you just dont have to go to a physical store.... that's what is ironic about you posting this.
Well that basically the same thing is the difference of being a bankrupted and closed down company and a thriving one. So not basically the same, would you say?

With pre-builds just banned in 6 states and new energy laws coming in...it's only a matter of time before high end cards are all banned.

A console that has energy efficiency, standardized performance targets and the best balance between cost and performance is what I am saying.
Ahh this is just a troll topic afterall. Nm my earlier replies then

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Well that basically the same thing is the difference of being a bankrupted and closed down company and a thriving one. So not basically the same, would you say?

Ahh this is just a troll topic afterall. Nm my earlier replies then
Nothing 'troll topic' about it.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Fighters, 3rd person action and shooter games, platformers, Souls-likes and driving games are all excellent and equal or surpass the PC experience in many respects.

Also you're not considering that exclusives target the fixed hardware of the console, it's unique features like haptics and the adaptive triggers on PS5 along with fully utilizing the SSD I/O.

It also allows target genres, stories, characters and gameplay and styles that appeal to the specific audience that is on that hardware / console.

Games like Uncharted, GOW and Astrobot feel particularly great on console and I can't really imagine playign with M&KB.....and if you have to sync a controller up, why not just play it on console where you'll be into the game in a fraction of the time along with the integrated social experience and trophies etc.....
Bullshit. You're honestly telling me that Horizon Zero Dawn is 'a better experience' on the PS4 rather than Steam?

BigLee74

“Exclusives are good”
“Netflix and its ilk need to die” (with all its exclusive films and shows?)

OP doesn’t know arse from elbow.

Nickolaidas

Banned
“Exclusives are good”
“Netflix and its ilk need to die” (with all its exclusive films and shows?)

OP doesn’t know arse from elbow.
I think that Bryank has a PS1-era vision for the PlayStation brand - exclusives, exclusives, exclusives and having nothing to do with streaming, online movie services and whatever except for multiplayer gaming.

Schmick

I think that Bryank has a PS1-era vision for the PlayStation brand - exclusives, exclusives, exclusives and having nothing to do with streaming, online movie services and whatever except for multiplayer gaming.
That's exactly that. Sony games going to PC is insulting to Bryank.

I don't have a problem with exclusivity as long as it is from the start of a franchise. To release a game multiplat and then make any following games in it's series (including extra content) exclusive, is a dog act.

I don't have a problem with exclusivity as long as it is from the start of a franchise. To release a game multiplat and then make any following games in it's series (including extra content) exclusive, is a dog act.
Well, that is definitely understandable, but I think it depends on the situation. If a franchise is selling significantly better on one platform and barely selling anything on the other, I feel they sometimes has a lot to do with exclusivity and deals quite often. Platform support and sales has to be worth it financially for the companies.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
That's exactly that. Sony games going to PC is insulting to Bryank.
It makes owning the hardware that much worthless for him.

You spend 500$, dedicated you entire life for that platform, and just now, they are putting their games on a device which you didnt like. Yeah, its hard to take in.

Here is what happened to someone who was like bryank in the past.

This act made him hate Xbox forever.

JCK75

My opinion is - if you own the studio then you have ever right and reason to make it's games exclusive to your platform....
but paying third parties to make their games exclusive is shitty and I don't like it.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
For me as a consumer it's not good. I could not care less for HZD or Days Gone locked on PS4 with garbage performance and meh gunplay. When they came to PC everything changed...

Bryank75

Banned
For me as a consumer it's not good. I could not care less for HZD or Days Gone locked on PS4 with garbage performance and meh gunplay. When they came to PC everything changed...

So you must think Citizen Kane is crap so.... it is black and white and shot in 24fps.

Gameplay doesn't change fundamentally through a bump in fps....it just becomes smoother and there are no guns in HZD.

Last edited:
That's not fair to Herman. Sony blew their load at the end of the last generation and had one of the greatest 4 year runs in gaming history. Now those studios are back to working on games which will probably be more ready mid generation. It's a risk they were willing to take and worked because the ps5 is on the path to becoming the best selling console ever. Yea there will be a bit of a drought but the console is selling like hotcakes. The games will come, they just take time to make, you can't expect only AAA games and expect them to launch often. remember sony was a bit slow to the gate with exclusives at the start of last gen. They already dropped 3 good ones, the great ones will come soon too.

Bryank75

Banned

You spend 500$, dedicated you entire life for that platform, and just now, they are putting their games on a device which you didnt like. Yeah, its hard to take in.

He doesn't hate Xbox....he loves it too much. It hurt him to see what Phil did to Xbox.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
So you must think Citizen Kane is crap so.... it is black and white and shot in 24fps.

Gameplay doesn't change fundamentally through a bump in fps....it just becomes smoother and there are no guns in HZD.
Citizen Kane doesn't have input lag. And there are guns in HZD like Deathbringer, Disc Launcher, Mine Launchers. Plus the bow is a barret with just bow skin. :messenger_tongue:

Bryank75

Banned
That's not fair to Herman. Sony blew their load at the end of the last generation and had one of the greatest 4 year runs in gaming history. Now those studios are back to working on games which will probably be more ready mid generation. It's a risk they were willing to take and worked because the ps5 is on the path to becoming the best selling console ever. Yea there will be a bit of a drought but the console is selling like hotcakes. The games will come, they just take time to make, you can't expect only AAA games and expect them to launch often. remember sony was a bit slow to the gate with exclusives at the start of last gen. They already dropped 3 good ones, the great ones will come soon too.

I think it's more than fair.... we have 13 studios but functionally we have far less.

San Diego makes multiplatform games now with MLB.
Mm is supporting Dreams and has not made anything commercially viable in 10 years or so.
Japan Studio has been cut down to a single team

Horizon FW is cross-gen and delayed till 2022
GOW Sequel is cross gen and we don't know when it is coming
GT7 is cross gen and we don't know when that will drop

Then despite these games being cross gen, we are paying a 10 euro tax to play them on PS5 aaaaaand they are saying they will port to PC later.

These issues are not in isolation..... last generation we lost Guerrilla Cambridge, Evolution Studios and Manchester Studio last year.
We also lost access to all Zenimax Studios future games except the 2 timed exclusives they picked up.

We also lost other exclusives like Yakuza...which is now multiplatform and Kingdom Hearts

All we got in return for all all of this is Housemarque and Nixxes....... and Nixxes was a slap in the face of people who appreciate exclusive games on the platform. An absolute insult.

We have been paying more and getting less, much less and there is no excitement, mystery or energy for the future because they don't communicate with fans, there is no connection at all. I'm beginning to stop caring at this stage.

DeaDPo0L84

vVxD4MB.jpg
You're attempting to have a logical conversation with a illogical person. He's been banned in the past cause he can't control himself discussing this topic.

To put it simply, if a video game he enjoys ends up being enjoyed by others on another platform he no longer has the ability to enjoy said video game.

Bryank75

Banned
Citizen Kane doesn't have input lag. And there are guns in HZD like Deathbringer, Disc Launcher, Mine Launchers. Plus the bow is a barret with just bow skin. :messenger_tongue:
Slow firing weapons, you don't need 60fps for it.....it's not Destiny where we are talking about 600rpm vs 400rpm assault rifles and the frame rate might mean that damage doesnt actually transfer to the target. Aim right and get over it. LOL

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Slow firing weapons, you don't need 60fps for it.....it's not Destiny where we are talking about 600rpm vs 400rpm assault rifles and the frame rate might mean that damage doesnt actually transfer to the target. Aim right and get over it. LOL
You don't the even play the game. Its not about what I need. Its about what I want.

kingfey

Banned
He doesn't hate Xbox....he loves it too much. It hurt him to see what Phil did to Xbox.
The difference between Sony and Xbox, is the parent company.

Microsoft owns Xbox. And since they own whatever xbox makes, they have the rights to put their games on pc, because they own windows. Xbox cant refuse it. So phil has to obey MS.

Unlike SIE, Their parent Sony has no stake on pc. They cant force SIE to put their games on pc. Their decision is pretty much based on the head of SIE Jim Ryan.

Crapgamer forgot about that.

reksveks

Keep forgetting how big an idiot Crapgamer is.

Bryank75

Banned
The difference between Sony and Xbox, is the parent company.

Microsoft owns Xbox. And since they own whatever xbox makes, they have the rights to put their games on pc, because they own windows. Xbox cant refuse it. So phil has to obey MS.

Unlike SIE, Their parent Sony has no stake on pc. They cant force SIE to put their games on pc. Their decision is pretty much based on the head of SIE Jim Ryan.

Crapgamer forgot about that.
True. Sony has no stake in PC and actually stands to lose in contrast to Xbox.

kingfey

Banned
Keep forgetting how big an idiot Crapgamer is.
He flip flops between xbox and playstation everyday. One day he praises xbox, to just hate them again on the next day. Same thing for PlayStation. He hypes a feature of the product, just to call it a trash, then praise it again. Too much switch sides. I think he is having a meltdown.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I platinum'd it.
Lol. I am saying you as anyone, not meant to you. And you platinum it at least without using aim assist for cowards and baddies/casuals? :messenger_tongue:

True. Sony has no stake in PC and actually stands to lose in contrast to Xbox.
Then they should not beg for pc hardware from AMD and who the hell make GDDRs anymore and start making chips again...

Last edited:
Top Bottom