• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

External Wii hard drive rumour from Gamelabo (Hint: GL is about as honest as Sony PR)

A Japanese magazine going by the name of GameLabo (described as an underground fanzine, no less) claims to have information on a meeting where Nintendo bosses discussed the possibility of an external Wii hard drive.

The meat of the rumour, which has been doing the rounds on several US and European websites over the weekend, suggests that a Nintendo meeting took place recently to discuss the subject of an external hard drive for Wii.

While the story might sound a bit ridiculous on the face of it, fact is that many Wii gamers have already hit their limit on the Flash memory that comes with the console - especially if you've been downloading as many VC games as you can get your hands on.

We'll chase Nintendo next week and let you know what they say.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=160189

I havent purchased any VC titles yet, but who here have actually filled up the Wii flash memory yet?

I haven't filled it up yet but to be honest that is because I don't want to run out of memory. I have seven games now and more than half is filled.

Draft

I was under the impression that the Wii already supported external HDDs via USB? Wasn't that a revealed at E3 or something?

Sho Nuff

Banned
Hey guys I hear if a rumor comes from any Japanese magazine, it's like 1000% true

Especially Gamelabo, who have been right on all those awesome rumors like Nintendo buying Sony and Sega making Daytona Collection the Isamu Edition

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DeaconKnowledge said:
The option isn't enabled. All it will take is a firmware update.

That's a crock if I've ever heard one. There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that's the case, and since there's no logical reason to cripple major functionality I'd say it's pretty likely they just never added support.

Even the SD support is quite poor.

All it will take is a firmware update, yes, but it's not like all the code is there and needs to be toggled on; it's a pretty substantial firmware update.

Dolphin

Banned
You know, I've always wondered. Would it be possible for devs to use the internal 512MB flash memory as a prefetch buffer? Or even possibly as a third (slow as hell) ram solution?

Be gentle, I'm not a techy.

Dolphin said:
You know, I've always wondered. Would it be possible for devs to use the internal 512MB flash memory as a prefetch buffer? Or even possibly as a third (slow as hell) ram solution?

Be gentle, I'm not a techy.

Not if it's filled with sweet, delicious VC games, they can't.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I haven't filled it up. The only thing taking up a large bit of space in teh Internet Channel. Most games that I have take around 1-3 blokes of memory and I only have two VC games.

Of course, if more VC games that I want are released, I can see that 512MB being filled quickly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Fatghost said:
Doesn't the wii support flash cards already? Can't you save VC titles to flash cards if you run out of room?
You can't run VC games directly off a SD card.

Koren

Fatghost said:
Doesn't the wii support flash cards already? Can't you save VC titles to flash cards if you run out of room?
You can save them on SD cards for archive purposes, but you can't play them if they're not in system memory :(

Fatghost said:

Yeah, but to my understanding you can't play any games off the card. You have to move something else to the card and vice versa. Rather annoying if you ask me.

Give us some i-pod looking HD attachment already... or let us use PC ones. I can hide the thing well enough.
I've stalled my VC purchases for two reasons... space, and the fact that if my Wii dies, there doesn't seem to be an easy way of getting my games back.

EDIT: Beaten.

If they wanna go for extra holy-shit points, they should make it have a function outside of being a HDD. Let it play GBA or DS games/downloads, or make it play MP3s standalone.

I would hope that any HDD will work actually... but if they make their own for some batshit insane reason, I'd like to see them do something else with it.

nightez

Banned
I would rather they let you play games off the SD cards. Secure Digital cards rare meant to be fully DRM compliant.

Can games store saves on the SD card? Liker games which need massive amounts of space like MMORPGs.

Well if they did that for SD cards, I think there'd need to be an update to allow cards larger than 2GB.

I could happily buy multiple cards for about £12, but the fewer bits and bobs the better.

nightez said:
I would rather they let you play games off the SD cards. Secure Digital cards rare meant to be fully DRM compliant.

Can games store saves on the SD card? Liker games which need massive amounts of space like MMORPGs.

Playing games off giant SD cards would be ideal, but that would be too easy for Nintendo.
I love the big N, but they have to do everything the hard way.

This would make sense, and I am certain is technically feasible. The hard drive as things exist right now is unnecessary. It would however be the only way for some other VC game formats such as PC engine or Sega Saturn to be stored. Bottom line is I would like to be able to directly use the content stored on my SD card or a Hard Drive without copying it back and forth to the main 512MB. I do think the inclusion of the 512MB is fine for most people (maybe not the hardcore gamer).

big_z

BGBW said:
I haven't filled it up. The only thing taking up a large bit of space in teh Internet Channel. Most games that I have take around 1-3 blokes of memory and I only have two VC games.

Of course, if more VC games that I want are released, I can see that 512MB being filled quickly.

You dont even get 512MB for VC games, only a fraction of it. The rest is set aside for channel/firmware updates.

I could see a small ipod sized hard drive that clips around the right side of the system.... i just hope they make it 60GB+ in size.

Emowii

Banned
I don't believe this rumor for a second. Nintendo obviously made the choice to go with a smaller memory unit on the Wii, and there is no way they're going to concern themselves with a tiny percentage of hardcore gamers that have already filled their internal memory with virtual console games.

The fact is the vast majority of Wii owners will never fill up their internal memory, so I just don't see them ever making an "official" Wii harddrive. Nintendo is just gonna tell you to buy SD cards if you're that hardcore.

EBCubs03

Banned
Emowii said:
The fact is the vast majority of Wii owners will never fill up their internal memory, so I just don't see them ever making an "official" Wii harddrive. Nintendo is just gonna tell you to buy SD cards if you're that hardcore.

This is just stupid imho... I'm a pretty casual wii owner who's downloaded just a few VC games, has all the channels.. and I only have a few hundred blocks left. I think nearly all wii owners will fill it up eventually, which I think was Nintendo's intention from the beginning.

Iwata himself mentioned USB storage solutions in an interview from waaaay back on CNN.

CNN Money said:
Most importantly, Iwata mentioned, were the USB ports that are built into the Revolution "so practically any storage method can be used".
(link)

Granted the interview is a year old now, but at least it shows that this option has been discussed. Frankly, since the announcement of the NeoGeo games coming to VC (and the rumoured Saturn titles as well), I feel like an external HD is inevitable. There's no way Nintendo is going to force people to deal with the SD solution forever. They're not that oblivious, right?

... right?

KINGMOKU

It's coming, no doubt about it. They didnt put USB ports on the system fo shits and giggles either ya' know.

There is NOW WAY that Nintendo wants people NOT downloading games becuase;

1.)fear of running out of room

2.)Run out of room, and dont know what to do

The VC is a cash cow, and seeing as how Nintendo LOVES to make money, this problem will be solved in short order.\

Most of Nintendo's concern stems from piracy, and justifiably so.

It will happen, I'll bet my right nut on it. Btw, seeing as how the Wii has just exploded onto the scene, the solution will come ALOT faster then many of you realize.

farnham

Banned
an external HDD support is comming

the only question is.. will they allow any external HDD in the market or only wii specific HDDs..

I hope the former is true

Mrbob

moku said:
It's coming, no doubt about it. They didnt put USB ports on the system fo shits and giggles either ya' know.

There is NOW WAY that Nintendo wants people NOT downloading games becuase;

1.)fear of running out of room

2.)Run out of room, and dont know what to do

The VC is a cash cow, and seeing as how Nintendo LOVES to make money, this problem will be solved in short order.\

Most of Nintendo's concern stems from piracy, and justifiably so.

It will happen, I'll bet my right nut on it. Btw, seeing as how the Wii has just exploded onto the scene, the solution will come ALOT faster then many of you realize.

I really don't see the need of an external hdd for VC games. Seems like a waste.

Nintendo needs to allow VC games playable off of SD cards.

A 2GB card should be plenty for VC games.

First things first, Nintendo needs to address the channel issue with VC games. Make some sort of index possible.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I've got about 20 or so downloads, and I'm down to about 13 channels remaining, 650 blocks of space on the internal flash. I figure if they release Majora's Mask anytime soon, that remaining space will drop down to less than half.

I've got a 2gb SD card installed on it, and ALL of my channels backed up there just in case, and the SD card has roughly 14500 blocks left. So yeah, a lot less than 512mbs of that internal flash is alotted to us.

That said, I really don't see Nintendo releasing an HDD anytime soon... or ever. At best, I'd expect a firmware update that makes the Wii compatible with larger (4gb+) SD cards. And perhaps open up the ability to play them directly from the SD card.

Regarding the VC channel limit, I'd absolutely love it if they'd allow us to create Channel Folders. Hell, just enabling us to have one special folder/menu per console would essentially solve that problem completely.

And LordHelmet, if your Wii fries, Nintendo will take care of your downloads, either by transferring them to a new system once you send them your fried one (if possible), or refunding your points so that you may re-download them (or others).

Boycotting the VC because of storage certainly won't sway Nintendo, but boycotting it for fear of your Wii cooking is even sillier. Their customer service is excellent.

I'm fairly certain Nintendo won't release a USB HDD. This is the company that has all the weird ports on their consoles that never receive any meaningful use.

Jirotrom

OK guys...whether you believe me or not is up to you...I know you are tired of hearing "I have a friend" statements. Anywho I know a person who carries NDAs with all three major companies Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. He cannot tell me stuff directly but I asked him the question about the USB in the back and lack of space in the flash memory.

He went on to state that " If was downloading alot of games and possibly demo's I would want to have enough space right? I'm sure that helps answer your question with out me breaking NDA." So either we will be able to link a pc hardrive to it or a Nintendo hardrive considering that statement. Whether or not it comes true I don't know as things always change but I do know some kind of discussion over it was held. Whether you all believe me or not thats up to you all...let me finish off that he also alluded to some big things Sony has planned but again couldn't state anything as he just said it was online based.

Mejilan

Then again, if Nintendo really has solid plans for a Demo Channel (either for Wii games, or for the purpose of turning your Wii into a DS Demo Download Kiosk, or especially both scenarios), then even a fully enabled SD card might not suffice... Maybe they do have something planned for whenever said Demo Channel launches.

OnWarmerMusic said:
There's no way Nintendo is going to force people to deal with the SD solution forever. They're not that oblivious, right?

... right?

Friend Codes.

They were asked about it since, and they apparently decided not to pursue it, but maybe that was just company line at the time. Either way, it would make a fair chunk of sense... but as people have said, Nintendo doesn't always do things in the ways you'd think would be obvious.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
all it will take is an OS update to allow USB storage devices to be accessed.

now the question: who does it first, homebrew community or nintendo? my bet has been on homebrew for a while now....

Mejilan

For that matter, it'd be nice if they enabled support for USB keyboards... Pointer-typing beats the pants off other controller solutions... but it still sucks for messages more than one (brief) sentence long!

They really just should update the firmware to allow SDHC SD cards I have seen 8GB SDHC cards for as little as $60 and they say that in a year they will have 32GB SD cards.

aorange999 said:
They really just should update the firmware to allow SDHC SD cards I have seen 8GB SDHC cards for as little as $60 and they say that in a year they will have 32GB SD cards.
That'd help, but I think most people would much rather just slap a 120GB HD on there. The price per gig isn't even remotely comparable.

Kulock said:
Friend Codes.
:lol Yeah, hence my hesitation on this one. In Nintendo's defense, I think they have to decide which is the less-confusing scenario for the average customer: Buying an external hard drive (possibly Wii-branded) or madly shuffling data between SD cards. I'm betting on the former.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Sweedishrodeo said:
all it will take is an OS update to allow USB storage devices to be accessed.

now the question: who does it first, homebrew community or nintendo? my bet has been on homebrew for a while now....

Speaking of homebrew, has anyone even released any practical applications yet? I know we have gotten some half-baked mod chips already, but I'm more interested in OS interface customization and playing imports.

Mejilan

For that matter, I imagine it'd require a modded Wii to even access homebrew, no?

I'm very pleased with the aesthetics of the Wii's OS, but functionality leaves a lot to be desired. Seeing what the homebrew did with the PSP, it'd be really nice if they could 'improve' upon Nintendo's design in a similar fashion.

But I don't mod my systems like that. :(

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
You have a point there. I too like to aesthetics of the OS, but Nintendo should have given us the option to have some customization and flexibility. I'm not asking that it have the open ended nature of a PC, but for christ sake, allow me to use an external HD and have a music channel so it can be used as a media center of sorts.

Stop holding my hand Nintendo.

Z3F

Banned
I don't see a big need for an external HD. Most VC games are so small that they won't require more than a few minutes to download. Nintendo doesn't have download limits once you buy the game, right?

Z3F said:
I don't see a big need for an external HD. Most VC games are so small that they won't require more than a few minutes to download. Nintendo doesn't have download limits once you buy the game, right?
If you own all N64 games then you're probably looking a near capacity. I imagine Star Fox 64 will put most owners over the top easily. And Neo Geo games? That will definitely require some added space.

Top Bottom