• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extracting ROMs from compilations?

Z..

Is this a gaming side topic? Not sure...
Ok, I own a bunch of compilations containing ROMs I'd like to extract in order to legally stream them without it being dubious in the slightest. I've extracted a bunch of them from Virtual Console before but I was thinking of using some stuff from Taito Legends 2 and it hit me I should just extract everything I can for posterity. How should I go about this for these titles:

Physical copies:
Taito Legends 1/2 PS2.
Gradius/Salamander/Parodius/TwinBee collections on PSP.
Sega Ages for Saturn.

Digital PSP/PS3/PS4 copies:
SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 (PSP), Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded & Remixed (PSP), Samurai Shodown Anthology (PSP), Metal Slug Anthology (PS4), FU'UN Super Combo (PS4), ADK Damashii (PS4), KOF Orochi Saga (PS3), KOF NESTS (PS3).

I'd imagine the physical stuff in general and digital PSP stuff is easy, but I'm not sure how I can even transfer the digital PS3/4 stuff to my PC. Insight into this would be awesome for streaming PS2 and Turbografx classics I have on PS3 such as Shinobi, Soldier Blade, Gradius V, Die Hard Arcade, a bunch of SMT titles and others through PCSX2/Mednafen.

Can I rip physical UMDs through the PSP with homebrew apps?

Just point me in the right direction if I'm asking questions with complicated answers, my Google Fu is lacking...

Dunkley

As far as ripping from compiliations go, I sadly don't know, however in regards to ripping physical UMD it is very much possible. CFW allows you to set your UMD Drive into a mode where connecting via USB would give you a straight up ISO of the UMD as opposed to the Memory Card's content.

I don't know which CFW it was since it's been a while since I ripped my PSP library, but yeah it is definitely possible.

Tizoc

From what I gather, when you make a copy of a PS2 or PSOne disc, you are getting an ISO/Image.

What you might need is a program or software that lets you actually edit the contents of the disc/image; say having similar software to what the original devs used to put the games into the compilations and have them run on that specific platform, then do some reverse engineering kind of ish.

As far as I remember the files on Taito are in the open so you can just pop the disc into a DVD drive.

On the Capcom compilations on PSP the files are compressed with some kind of gz/zlib and I dunno if anybody made a tool to decompress them. The PS2/Xbox versions of the Capcom ones were uncompressed files in a custom format that it was easy to make an extraction tool for.

Dunno about the others.

Tizoc

As far as I remember the files on Taito are in the open so you can just pop the disc into a DVD drive.

On the Capcom compilations on PSP the files are compressed with some kind of gz/zlib and I dunno if anybody made a tool to decompress them. The PS2/Xbox versions of the Capcom ones were uncompressed files in a custom format that it was easy to make an extraction tool for.

Dunno about the others.

Far as .gz files go
https://unix.stackexchange.com/ques...g-a-gz-file-without-removing-the-gzipped-file

I tried to read up on .lib files but i couldn't find any meaningful info :x

Z..

Thanks for the tips, guys. Any insight into how I can possibly extract psn stuff from my PS3/PS4?

kjetil_f

Neophyte
Not a lot of information about this subject online. Would be cool to get the PS2 arcade games working on MAME, but I really don't know how. A step-by-step tutorial on how to do it would be awesome, but I guess it's too much of a niche thing.

Top Bottom