• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eye of Judgement IGN Review!!!!!!!!1

Chromax said:
I thought in one of the modes, you could poke them and they reacts. =(

Profile mode I believe. I played with it at WizardWorld Chicago and it rocks. Perfect showpiece for when friends are over. =D

Kittonwy

Banned
Duck said:
So basically it's worse than NFS Carbon.

LMAO.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
jiggle said:
How is there not a virtual pet game, using this camera, is beyond me :/

DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS.
Indifferent2.gif

SONYKITTONZ RAWR TM

Corn cob eatin kitton downloadable pack ftmfw I will sellz thiz to Sony as my downloadable PSN idea.

Indifferent2.gif

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Chromax said:
I thought in one of the modes, you could poke them and they reacts. =(

That mode is still there right? :D

Ah, sure, but that's not really a game mode. More like a showcase stuff where you can see profiles and play around with the creatures.

Respose is istantaneous when you move you hand over a creature but it's not something that sophisticated really. You just trigger some animations and that's it.

When moving cards around on your hand there is a bit of lag but it's still cool to look at a flaming dragon agitating in your hand.

edit: doing a video of this. will youtube in 10 mins.

TJ Spyke

Are they gonna do the same crap as real TCG publishers? I used to be into the Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG, but they released a new expansion pack every 3 months and it just got too expensive to keep even a decent deck going. Is Sony (or whoever is doing the TCG part of this) gonna do that too?

Chromax

TJ Spyke said:
Are they gonna do the same crap as real TCG publishers? I used to be into the Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG, but they released a new expansion pack every 3 months and it just got too expensive to keep even a decent deck going. Is Sony (or whoever is doing the TCG part of this) gonna do that too?

I think every 5 month, but only 2 expansion packs planned as of right now.

Broktune

Banned
This game might make me buy a ps3. One thing worries me though.

Do you think that the game will eventually play too slow? Meaning, do you think that watching the animations, monster spawns, battles, etc. will become tiresome? I think back to games like FF and Advance Wars. After awhile, I just skipped past the summon animations and battle animations in both games respectively. Do you think the same thing could happen here? And if so, is the game good enough to warrant the purchase price?

I'm curious to see how this turns out. I remember playing Magic online. I used to love to look at the artwork of the cards and read the little passages. People would then bitch and moan about you taking too long. I'm so intrigued by the idea of this game.

Chromax

Broktune said:
This game might make me buy a ps3. One thing worries me though.

Do you think that the game will eventually play too slow? Meaning, do you think that watching the animations, monster spawns, battles, etc. will become tiresome? I think back to games like FF and Advance Wars. After awhile, I just skipped past the summon animations and battle animations in both games respectively. Do you think the same thing could happen here? And if so, is the game good enough to warrant the purchase price?

I'm curious to see how this turns out. I remember playing Magic online. I used to love to look at the artwork of the cards and read the little passages. People would then bitch and moan about you taking too long. I'm so intrigued by the idea of this game.

You can turn off the battle animation.

vdo

TTP said:

Wow, TTP, that is the most indepth I have seen of the possibilities of interactivity in the Eye camera so far. I did not expect to see the creature tilt with the card or to be able to be bounced up and down on the card by moving your hand up and down. There seems to be more potential for the Eye as an alternative input device than Sony has shown so far. It will be interesting to see if a lot of game ideas are made using this device - even if they are smaller, downloadable ones, they should be able to think up some pretty fun ways of using this.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
vdo said:
Wow, TTP, that is the most indepth I have seen of the possibilities of interactivity in the Eye camera so far. I did not expect to see the creature tilt with the card or to be able to be bounced up and down on the card by moving your hand up and down. There seems to be more potential for the Eye as an alternative input device than Sony has shown so far. It will be interesting to see if a lot of game ideas are made using this device - even if they are smaller, downloadable ones, they should be able to think up some pretty fun ways of using this.

Indeed, but just to be clear, creature isn't really bouncing there. It's more a consequence of the lag in detecting crature position that makes it look like so. Basically, I was moving the card up and down too fast, so by the time the creature was drawn "up", card was already down. Nevertheless, it's cool it can detect distance/inclination as well as orientation.

Besides, I don't think this game uses the "120fps" mode but just the standard one. I'm really curious to see what they come up with in the future.

Belfast

TTP said:
Ah, sure, but that's not really a game mode. More like a showcase stuff where you can see profiles and play around with the creatures.

Respose is istantaneous when you move you hand over a creature but it's not something that sophisticated really. You just trigger some animations and that's it.

When moving cards around on your hand there is a bit of lag but it's still cool to look at a flaming dragon agitating in your hand.

edit: doing a video of this. will youtube in 10 mins.

Yeah, as cool as it would be, I never expected the developers to program an intricate set of responses for *every* creature or card, especially when they've got an actual game to create first. This would be perfect for interactive pet games, though, where you could consolidate your time into creating a handful of realistic animals.

Broktune

Banned
Chromax said:
You can turn off the battle animation.

Yes, but do you think the game would still be worth the price of admission? I'm just afraid I'm going to reach that middle ground of liking the card game but getting tired of the animations. And if that is the case, is it worth it to invest in this game?

Broktune said:
Yes, but do you think the game would still be worth the price of admission? I'm just afraid I'm going to reach that middle ground of liking the card game but getting tired of the animations. And if that is the case, is it worth it to invest in this game?

It all depends on how good the core game is and how many units it sells. I play MTG fairly often and I don't have to sit through any animations to have fun. I imagine many people will turn off animations once the novelty wears, but if the core game is good and people buy it then it's definitely worth it to invest.

Now, if you don't like TCG in the first place, then it might not be a good idea. Then again, this could be the game that gets you into it.

Basically, I wouldn't buy this game because of the animations but because I like the concept.

Kittonwy said:
I don't get what they find wrong with the graphics (7.5), are there games in the same genre that look better than this for them to rate it so average? The self-shadowing is there, the lighting/particle effects (when the dragon appears in the video review in the end it lights up the surrending characters on the other spots as well) and animations are there, it's got a nice style to it, what is missing?

Bald space marines?

since when is a 7.5 a bad score for graphics? I swear you people want every game you like or are even interested in to get 10s in everything and then complain that reviewers suck.

SamBishop

Banned
MWS Natural said:
A bit harsh on the guy for wondering? I've read a couple of reviews where anyone can tell the reviewer couldn't have fully completed the game or done something they claimed in the review. I see nothing wrong with him being a bit skeptical.

Fair enough. I blame the fact that my roommate has been watching The Sopranos all day today and I was apparently channeling Tony or something when I wrote that. No offense intended, M3d10n, it wasn't directed at you as much as all the responses wondering if they just made it up.

Madman said:
You know, that's really rude. So what he questioned the credibility of something said in a review. Far too many times have reviews seemed like someone barely played the game or didn't play at all and just drew impressions from other sites/previews. Your own site has had laughable mistakes as recent as The Last Canyon. So please, don't sit there call names and act as though you are somehow better than someone here. You aren't. Thanks.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with The Last Canyon (I'm assuming you mean the supposed Team ICO thing?), but at no point did I try to pretend I was better than anyone else. I completely agree with you about some reviews being off because a lot of reviewers feel the need to toss something up ASAP just to beat everyone to the punch or have something ready on the day a game ships.

For my site (and I think you may have me confused with someone else), we're often painfully late on reviews because I make it a point to try to run through the whole experience. Yeah, it means a later review, but in the case of something like Warhawk, it also means you can grade an online-focused game after playing with the general public rather than on closed servers. EoJ is definitely one of those games that I want to notch a bunch of online matches with people before I make a call.

Core407 said:
Can you play online against people?

Absolutely, that's kind of the idea behind it all, and I would assume why most are so curious about being able to copy the cards.

krypt0nian said:
It's not game breaking at all. They only allow x amt of each card by strength in deck. It would be no different than someone buying/trading to get the cards. WotC is not in the habit of building broken game systems.

Ah, but were someone to set up a database of scanned in cards allowing someone to essentially build a killer deck for free, it would ruin the balance of the game. Yes, there are checks in place (and it's even more obvious when you play the game and see how they've capped certain really powerful spells so they can only be brought out late in a match), but it still ruins the rarities of the cards and whatnot.

keyrat said:
how fast is the reaction speed to your fingers probing the monsters and such? do you have the eye create software to go along with this?

It's pretty quick to take, but the stuff that was seen early on isn't really in there from what I saw. You can basically smack around your guys and stuff, but I don't think they actually recognize your finger or anything.

TTP said:
Sam, is that you at 6th place in the EOJ leaderboard? :)

Heh, yep, that's me! I really need to get more matches going here, but this weekend has been a reviews barrage. Hopefully I'll get some time to play with folks later this week.

ElFly

SamBishop said:
Ah, but were someone to set up a database of scanned in cards allowing someone to essentially build a killer deck for free, it would ruin the balance of the game. Yes, there are checks in place (and it's even more obvious when you play the game and see how they've capped certain really powerful spells so they can only be brought out late in a match), but it still ruins the rarities of the cards and whatnot.

Then the game was broken in the first place.

edit: if a killer deck actually exists, and the only safeguard against it is card rarity, it's not a well designed game.

Belfast

Ninja Scooter said:
since when is a 7.5 a bad score for graphics? I swear you people want every game you like or are even interested in to get 10s in everything and then complain that reviewers suck.

Hey, the reviewers set these artificial standards themselves, whether they mean to or not. In a vacuum, a 7.5 isn't all that bad, but when compared with the wealth of other games out there, I think there's room to take issue.

SamBishop

Banned
TTP said:
Indeed, but just to be clear, creature isn't really bouncing there. It's more a consequence of the lag in detecting crature position that makes it look like so. Basically, I was moving the card up and down too fast, so by the time the creature was drawn "up", card was already down. Nevertheless, it's cool it can detect distance/inclination as well as orientation.

Besides, I don't think this game uses the "120fps" mode but just the standard one. I'm really curious to see what they come up with in the future.

It's weird; to me it kinda seems like they did build in some kind of detection for rapid changes in height -- or at least it seemed that way to me. One of the first things I did when the game came in was basically do what you did in that video and just mess around with things. I think I was using some of the more humanoid characters like the twin goblins or the assassin and it seemed like they would actually react to being bounced. Even if it was just placebo, it definitely impressed me with being able to fairly quickly recognize angles and rotation and stuff.

ElFly said:

It was susceptible to cheating from the start, yeah, but then the only difference between this and, say, someone using counterfeit Magic cards is that most of the battles will be played online with scanned-in cards, so you have no way to call someone on their shiz.

Either way, I'll try to get a definitive "yes, you can absolutely copy things" from Ryan when I see those guys tomorrow. Last I'd heard, it didn't work, but apparently further tests proved that wrong. I'll know for sure tomorrow.

[edit]
Just checked with him and you can make copies, which sucks. He'll be clearing it all up on this week's podcast, but at least now you know...

Wollan

I was just putting it up there for you to judge. Listening to the latest Radiohead and eating dinner + the image was kinda crappy so no time to finecheck.

ElFly

SamBishop said:
It was susceptible to cheating from the start, yeah, but then the only difference between this and, say, someone using counterfeit Magic cards is that most of the battles will be played online with scanned-in cards, so you have no way to call someone on their shiz.

Either way, I'll try to get a definitive "yes, you can absolutely copy things" from Ryan when I see those guys tomorrow. Last I'd heard, it didn't work, but apparently further tests proved that wrong. I'll know for sure tomorrow.

But in real life tournaments you will meet some people that spent $$$$ on their decks. That's almost the same as scanning cards, because if you put enough money into it, you WILL get the cards you need.

Yet those CCG are still not considered broken. There is a good chance that WOTC knows their shit and can produce a game that is not abused easily.

Of course, the point is moot, until we know if there are actual ways of fooling the Playstation Eye, but chances are that there are ways of doing it, mainly because the game works on an optical level.

SRG01

ElFly said:

edit: if a killer deck actually exists, and the only safeguard against it is card rarity, it's not a well designed game.

Welcome to Magic the Gathering.

Firewire

Banned
I think this is an awesome deal, the game plus the camera for $10 more than the cost of a regular game is just awesome.

Belfast

SamBishop said:
It's weird; to me it kinda seems like they did build in some kind of detection for rapid changes in height -- or at least it seemed that way to me. One of the first things I did when the game came in was basically do what you did in that video and just mess around with things. I think I was using some of the more humanoid characters like the twin goblins or the assassin and it seemed like they would actually react to being bounced. Even if it was just placebo, it definitely impressed me with being able to fairly quickly recognize angles and rotation and stuff.

Thanks for confirming that stuff for us.

kuYuri

dfyb said:
i'm in the same situation and i just thought of something... if i was a real dick, i could buy it on launch day from a store. then i could return the unopened copy from amazon to the store to get my $69 back... any faults with this plan?

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I've done it before with Halo 3.

Top Bottom