F.B.I. Opened Inquiry Into Whether Trump Was Secretly Working on Behalf of Russia

Nov 23, 2010
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/us/politics/fbi-trump-russia-inquiry.html?partner=msft_msn

WASHINGTON — In the days after President Trump fired James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, law enforcement officials became so concerned by the president’s behavior that they began investigating whether he had been working on behalf of Russia against American interests, according to former law enforcement officials and others familiar with the investigation.

The inquiry carried explosive implications. Counterintelligence investigators had to consider whether the president’s own actions constituted a possible threat to national security. Agents also sought to determine whether Mr. Trump was knowingly working for Russia or had unwittingly fallen under Moscow’s influence.
The witch hunt continues...

Jun 20, 2018
The obama administration got worried that trump could win since the idiotic pied piper strategy backfired they ordered as plan B the doj to illegally spy on the trump campaign, spread a paid for fake dossier to the media, then used those same media reports as corroborating prove for pressure and to launch a investigation into him.
Tell me what else is new, now imagine if trump had sold uranium to the russians while collecting millions afterwards in donation to the trump foundation now that would be damning, but all he does is put pressure on the EU and bitch at them for using russian gas how weird.

Last edited:
May 9, 2008
I’m by no means a Trump hater. I actually think he is doing a great job and is on pace to be the best president in my adult life. With that said, I had the same reaction to the Comey firing, so I don’t fault them. Also his firing of Sessions is highly suspect. If those firings don’t at least raise an eyebrow you need to check your bias. It’s bad optics to fire people who are in positions to make sure you are acting within the law.

Nov 23, 2010
I’m by no means a Trump hater. I actually think he is doing a great job and is on pace to be the best president in my adult life. With that said, I had the same reaction to the Comey firing, so I don’t fault them. Also his firing of Sessions is highly suspect. If those firings don’t at least raise an eyebrow you need to check your bias. It’s bad optics to fire people who are in positions to make sure you are acting within the law.
I think the bad optics would be folks spreading a ludicrous conspiracy that a reality TV star colluded "secretly" with foreigners to become President of the United States. People tasked with upholding national security allowed that to happen on their watch.

At this point, this innuendo has gone so far off the rails that no matter the outcome the US has suffered irreparable damage. Either people falsely insinuated that a president elected legitimately was a traitor. Or the president will have to face criminal charges and be removed from his office after making countless government appointments, having access to the nuclear codes, meeting with foreign leaders, etc. There's no happy ending here...

Dec 3, 2018
With that said, I had the same reaction to the Comey firing, so I don’t fault them.
Firing Comey was one of the few decisions Trump made that I support. Comey’s behavior during the election was completely unprofessional and likely had a huge impact in the outcome of the election (how does an FBI agent make public comments about an ongoing case in the middle of an election?). Even if Hillary had won, Comey still needed to be fired.

Arkage

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2012
https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-if-obstruction-was-collusion-new-york-timess-latest-bombshell

This article is kind of an additional analysis. The point being, the FBI probe was always restricted to Russia and those who interacted with Russia (whoever that may be) for Russia's gain. Because multiple strands of evidence point to Trump firing Comey due to the FBI Russia investigation, it necessarily became viewed as intentional interference and intentional harming of the ongoing Russia investigation, and thus considered possible collusion on behalf of Russia. The fact Trump explicitly made this connection himself, even bragging about it to actual fucking Russian operatives, doesn't help his case.

The reporting Schmidt shared with me about Baker’s testimony suggests rather strongly that the FBI did not think of the Comey firing simply as a possible obstruction of justice. Officials thought of it, rather, in the context of the underlying counterintelligence purpose of the Russia investigation. At one point, Baker was asked whether firing Director Comey added to the threat to national security the FBI was confronting.

“Yes,” Baker responds.
So when the president sought to impair the investigation, having declared both in the draft letter dismissing Comey and to Lester Holt that his action was connected in some way to the Russia investigation, that raised both potential criminal questions and major counterintelligence questions—questions that could only have been reinforced when Trump later announced to senior Russian government officials that he had relieved pressure on himself by acting as he did. It did so both because it threatened the investigation itself and because it fit directly into a pattern of interface between Trump campaign officials and Russian government actors that they were already investigating.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2004
The press has been doing a great job of digging up info over the last month and especially this week. If there was any doubt that Trump is comprised by Russia it’s gone now. The questions are how long until his presidency collapses, what damage does he do in the meantime, and who goes down with him.

It’s not comprehensive, but the top comment has a good list of events with sources:

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2010
The press has been doing a great job of digging up info over the last month and especially this week. If there was any doubt that Trump is comprised by Russia it’s gone now. The questions are how long until his presidency collapses, what damage does he do in the meantime, and who goes down with him.

It’s not comprehensive, but the top comment has a good list of events with sources:
There's a lot of doubt.

If the innuendo were true, then your questions are way off base. If Pres. Trump were compromised as folks suggest then his vast legal powers and access to top secret information could devastate the US, endanger its allies and empower the country's enemies in an instant.

The US would be completely fucked (particularly after 2 years and counting in office). Virtually everything and everyone would be in question.

Like I said, people have fueled this witch hunt and gone so far off the rails, that the investigation must end with criminal charges against a sitting president. Anything less is a circus where people falsely accused a legitimately elected official of treason. A conspiracy that Pres. Trump is an enemy of his own country. I hope people peddling this realize there is no coming back from this...

Jun 9, 2004
If the innuendo were true, then your questions are way off base. If Pres. Trump were compromised as folks suggest then his vast legal powers and access to top secret information could devastate the US, endanger its allies and empower the country's enemies in an instant.

The US would be completely fucked (particularly after 2 years and counting in office). Virtually everything and everyone would be in question.

Like I said, people have fueled this witch hunt and gone so far off the rails, that the investigation must end with criminal charges against a sitting president. Anything less is a circus where people falsely accused a legitimately elected official of treason. A conspiracy that Pres. Trump is an enemy of his own country. I hope people peddling this realize there is no coming back from this...
Yes, this is all accurate. It's scary as hell that we have a president that has committed treason.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...1f359183e8c_story.html?utm_term=.49bf22d0f25d This was June 15th, 2016. They're joking around, but it's also true and they don't care. It's a very dark time for the US.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018
if Trump comes out of this scot-free, with the entire intelligence community sniffing through his trash for years, multi-million dollar investigations, etc. it will be more than enough for me. he has to be the most scrutinized person on the planet at this point.

and yet, i know it still wouldn't matter, even if Mueller himself gave him a big button that said "INNOCENT" on it. die hards will call him a traitor for the rest of his life.

Mar 18, 2018
Yes, this is all accurate. It's scary as hell that we have a president that has committed treason.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...1f359183e8c_story.html?utm_term=.49bf22d0f25d This was June 15th, 2016. They're joking around, but it's also true and they don't care. It's a very dark time for the US.
The hyperbole in your post is breaking my iPad. A bunch of speculation built on opinions and hyper partisanship does not equal treason. Let's wait for the facts before we start the BBQ coals.

Jun 20, 2018
He has a really high IQ.
He is certainly more intelligent than you or nobody_important or the average "omg orange man bad" lefty, i know it hurts your ego but its still true.
Actually this fact makes the "omg he is like soooo dumb have you seen what he tweeted, said etc" outrage even more funny.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2009
He is certainly more intelligent than you or nobody_important or the average "omg orange man bad" lefty, i know it hurts your ego but its still true.
Actually this fact makes the "omg he is like soooo dumb have you seen what he tweeted, said etc" outrage even more ironic and funny.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2010

It's not scary at all. It's ridiculous.
Again, some people are peddling a conspiracy that a reality TV star/infamous business mogul secretly conspired with foreigners to become President of the US. Pres. Trump is a Russian agent. A traitor.

Listen. If Trump was really Putin's lapdog and took commands that made him an enemy of his own country, then the proper response wouldn't be to write a report about it. Much more dramatic norm breaking actions would have been taken 2 years in and counting.

This simply looks like an effort to delegitimize an elected official at the highest level in American politics. Remember, powerful people from all over attended Trump's inauguration and symbolically certified he won fair and square.

Why would anyone make that gesture if there was an ounce of evidence in 2016 that Pres. Trump cheated and rigged the results? Why would Pres. Obama show Trump around the White House and brief him repeatedly with classified information if there was evidence Trump was compromised and working on behalf of Russia?

As former CIA director Pompeo said, the innuendo is ludicrous. Now the investigation must deliver on the ginned up expectations that your president is an enemy of his own country. Very dangerous and extremely sad.

Jun 9, 2004
The hyperbole in your post is breaking my iPad. A bunch of speculation built on opinions and hyper partisanship does not equal treason. Let's wait for the facts before we start the BBQ coals.
It’s a bit of speculation built on a *lot* of solid reporting over the last couple years. Go ahead and bury your head. Ignore all the important work being done by the NYT, WP, and other outlets. The result will be the same.

Nov 1, 2017

It's not scary at all. It's ridiculous.
Again, some people are peddling a conspiracy that a reality TV star/infamous business mogul secretly conspired with foreigners to become President of the US. Pres. Trump is a Russian agent. A traitor.

Listen. If Trump was really Putin's lapdog and took commands that made him an enemy of his own country, then the proper response wouldn't be to write a report about it. Much more dramatic norm breaking actions would have been taken 2 years in and counting.

This simply looks like an effort to delegitimize an elected official at the highest level in American politics. Remember, powerful people from all over attended Trump's inauguration and symbolically certified he won fair and square.

Why would anyone make that gesture if there was an ounce of evidence in 2016 that Pres. Trump cheated and rigged the results? Why would Pres. Obama show Trump around the White House and brief him repeatedly with classified information if there was evidence Trump was compromised and working on behalf of Russia?

As former CIA director Pompeo said, the innuendo is ludicrous. Now the investigation must deliver on the ginned up expectations that your president is an enemy of his own country. Very dangerous and extremely sad.
So you’re trying to tell me that Manafort who was an FBI plant being managed by Brennan and Comey who were working with Australia and the UK’s GCHQ gave polling data to two Russian ogliarchs which caused Hillary to lose the 2016 election because Facebook advertisement adverts is... unrealistic?

/s

Jun 20, 2018
Don’t worry, it’ll come.
yeah i am still waiting on the piss tape

It’s a bit of speculation built on a *lot* of solid reporting over the last couple years. Go ahead and bury your head. Ignore all the important work being done by the NYT, WP, and other outlets. The result will be the same.
Yep those reports based on a fake dossier produced to slander the president and get a investigation going truly are second to none...
or as msnbc puts it "today on maddow: this time we got him!, tomorrow on maddow: this time we got him!" for two and half years non stop.
Or the wide ranging manpulation of the public by muh russia with all of those 4000 dollar in facebook ads my god how dare they thats almost as much as a average eu politicans wasted on the us election
by ordering some interns to post a anti trump and pro hillary tweets.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2004
You guys want to put your GAF accounts where your mouths are? I smell a good opportunity for a ban bet. If Trump is forced out of office (or resigns) before the 2020 election, your accounts are banned. If not, I'm banned. We can call it the making NeoGAF great again bet.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2004
Is this the part where our lack of taking you up on a childish bet adds more evidence to Trumps guilt?
They're unrelated, of course. I just want to see how confident you guys are in your beliefs. If you actually think Trump isn't compromised by Russia even after all the evidence the press has dug up, own it. There's no cost to either ignoring or trying to discredit or rationalize away the news so there's no point trying to convince you guys. This gives it one, albeit minor. I've been on this forum since '98 or '99 and I've had this username since 2001. Someone take me up on it.

Jan 14, 2015
Connecticut
They're unrelated, of course. I just want to see how confident you guys are in your beliefs. If you actually think Trump isn't compromised by Russia even after all the evidence the press has dug up, own it. There's no cost to either ignoring or trying to discredit or rationalize away the news so there's no point trying to convince you guys. This gives it one, albeit minor. I've been on this forum since '98 or '99 and I've had this username since 2001. Someone take me up on it.
Don't prompt a bet that the blindly loyal won't abide. Even if everything from something as serious as voter fraud to something as ridiculous as the pee tape is revealed to be true, they'd never actually honor the bet.

Aug 11, 2018
What? If you're investigating whether the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA worked/is working with a foreign government to undermine the US you sure as fuck would want to gather all evidence, be thorough as hell and compile it in a comprehensive report. Even if you think you have solid evidence you better be sure to cover all bases. Two years is nothing for an investigation like this considering the potential consequences. Just look at a graph from last year comparing major government investigations:

Get some perspective.

Dec 3, 2018
What? If you're investigating whether the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA worked/is working with a foreign government to undermine the US...
Exactly. Something must be done about Israel's influence on American politics. We don't have $5 billion to pay for a wall to help stem the drug trade and human trafficking, but we just signed something to send $38 billion to Israel that also destroys our constitutional right to boycott? When will we... wait, we aren't talking about Israel? Russia? Huh...

Aug 30, 2018
So Russia knows how to run our economy better than we do? Thanks Russia for the super low employment, booming stock market, and increasing wages!

Russia's influence on Trump falls apart if you use your brain for about 30 seconds. Though I think this quote by a Nazi propagandist (ironically enough the left are taking his advice) about sums it up.

""If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

Nov 23, 2010
You guys want to put your GAF accounts where your mouths are? I smell a good opportunity for a ban bet. If Trump is forced out of office (or resigns) before the 2020 election, your accounts are banned. If not, I'm banned. We can call it the making NeoGAF great again bet.
I'll take a bet Pres. Trump has been working secretly on behalf of Russia and is a Russian agent.

What? If you're investigating whether the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA worked/is working with a foreign government to undermine the US you sure as fuck would want to gather all evidence, be thorough as hell and compile it in a comprehensive report. Even if you think you have solid evidence you better be sure to cover all bases. Two years is nothing for an investigation like this considering the potential consequences. Just look at a graph from last year comparing major government investigations:

Get some perspective.
None of those investigations had people accuse a legitimately elected official at the highest level of being a Russian agent that has repeatedly taken commands from foreigners. Did you see the inauguration and who was there to affirm the election results? Did you catch how Pres. Obama peacefully turned everything over after the election was complete? You need to wake up.

Pres. Trump could devastate your country's national security as well as many other countries within minutes, due to his legal authorities and access to top secret information, if he were compromised as some of you insinuate. If the president of the USA was working on behalf of someone else, then your country and it's allies would be in serious trouble.

Some people may think that this innuendo just undermines Pres. Trump's legal and symbolic affirmation to be POTUS, but it's very dangerous. You've put your country in a lose-lose situation. Pres. Trump works for Russia. Alternatively, the conspiracy falls apart and you can't walk this back. You accused the President of the US of being an enemy of his own country and were dead wrong about that. The fallout either way is going to be sad to see.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2004
I'll take a bet Pres. Trump has been working secretly on behalf of a Russia and is a Russian agent.
I'll take it with an adjustment. He has to have been working on behalf of Russia, but he just has to be compromised by Russia (probably financially since he's been taking Russian money for decades after the Trump Taj Mahal disaster, either blackmail or greed). That puts limits on his actions.

You keep saying 'your country'. You're not American?

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
It's possible that the Mueller report shows Trump is a traitor and Republicans still don't care.
Why should I care? Because the Democrats lost and somehow *that* is causing disruption in America? What a joke. Nothing Trump has done indicates he is under pressure from Russia. Obama was literally caught on a hot mic saying he would have more flexibility after the election and you liberals thought it was fucking cute.

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Why should you care if the Mueller report shows Trump is a traitor? Is this real life?
Yes. Exactly. I don't care if he shared polling data with the Russians. Do you care that the Hillary campaign openly colluded with Ukraine? I doubt you were even aware of it. But yet I'm supposed to be outraged at Trump? What a f'n joke.