• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2011 - September 23rd release

HeliosT10

Lucius86 said:
Yes they were all 360 units. I would assume it's a 360 lead, but that's only by guesswork.

No lead platform, we have teams working on all 3 formats (PC/X360/PS3) in tandem. The main reason why we had X360's exclusively at the event is simply that they're a hell of a lot easier to set up. When you're putting on an event such as this, time and ease of set up is very important as you're continually against the clock to get everything ready in time.

Lucius86

Banned
Helios_CM said:
No lead platform, we have teams working on all 3 formats (PC/X360/PS3) in tandem. The main reason why we had X360's exclusively at the event is simply that they're a hell of a lot easier to set up. When you're putting on an event such as this, time and ease of set up is very important as you're continually against the clock to get everything ready in time.

Ahh, good to know.

Spectator mode kinda makes up for lack of online replays, then. We'll still be relying on FRAPS but if one of us fucks we might be able to catch some good racing.

Other than that I like the sound of improved rules. Too often you were nudged by somebody else and got the penalty when the other driver (or neither) deserved it, or you got accused of cutting a corner when you messed up and already lost more time than you gained without the need of penalty. Hopefully the game somehow judges those things better, but it must be a hard thing to do.

Oh, and that picture makes me re-think branding Orgun the bald one of our group. ;)

Lucius86

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Spectator mode kinda makes up for lack of online replays, then. We'll still be relying on FRAPS but if one of us fucks we might be able to catch some good racing.

Other than that I like the sound of improved rules. Too often you were nudged by somebody else and got the penalty when the other driver (or neither) deserved it, or you got accused of cutting a corner when you messed up and already lost more time than you gained without the need of penalty. Hopefully the game somehow judges those things better, but it must be a hard thing to do.

You definitely can get away with a lot more in the first few corners. So yes, some might say this will get abused - but so often we have had issues with people getting unfairly punished on the first lap, I think this is the better way to go.

But yeah, at least we can spectate and have some form of participation in our races if someone crashes into the Monza pit wall.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Oh, and that picture makes me re-think branding Orgun the bald one of our group. ;)

Thanks. Receding hair line is getting worse - and I'm only 25 :(

There is another photo of me next to the Lotus that shows I'm no Orgun just yet....

de6xkz.jpg

Lucius86 - Thanks a lot for that detailed write up, very interesting stuff. My one question to you is what can you tell us about the HUD and GUI for the game? As in, have Codies gone for the more authentic TV styled look for the timings and on screen info? That is something for me that would REALLY make the game feel more like a genuine F1 experience as opposed to the somewhat generic style used for the on screen info last year. Thanks =)

Lucius86

Banned
mclaren777 said:
I wasn't expecting you to be white and I have no idea why.

Did they mention anything about releasing a demo? And were they only showing the Xbox 360 version?

I act more black than Hamilton - although that is not saying much...

I didn't ask about a demo (sorry!), and yes only the 360 version of the HD game was shown.

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Lucius86 - Thanks a lot for that detailed write up, very interesting stuff. My one question to you is what can you tell us about the HUD and GUI for the game? As in, have Codies gone for the more authentic TV styled look for the timings and on screen info? That is something for me that would REALLY make the game feel more like a genuine F1 experience as opposed to the somewhat generic style used for the on screen info last year. Thanks =)

Ah, I knew I forgot to mention something!

The HUD is NOT the official F1 graphics. They have gone with their own style again. On the whole, I find it clean looking bar one graphic in particular - the LEDs on the steering wheel are shown above your KERS battery life, DRS indicator, gear and speed in the bottom right corner from all external views. You will see this in the videos I will upload tomorrow. In my opinion, I think they look quite amateurish, and does not fit in with the rest of the GUI. The graphics for fuel mixture, tyres, where you will exit the pit etc. are arranged by squares in a similar fashion to Windows Phone 7's metro style GUI on the right of the screen. This looks good.

However, the split times are actually sponsored by LG, which I find quite peculiar considering the custom GUI. Clearly their sponsorship of the times in F1 include making it into this game.

Hopefully the official UI will get modded into the game quickly. I love the way they measure the KERS/DRS this year.

I still don't understand Codies going with their own thing when the one that's used for TV is so slick and well designed.

NHale

If I'm seeing it correctly on one of the pictures, the HUD appears exactly on top of the right tyre (it appears the camera FOV is lower compared to the usual T-cam). Please tell me I'm seeing things.

Lucius86

Banned
I took more vids, so just 4 pics (really wish I took my DSLR now). I will upload my videos tonight when I get back from the gym, as they show some actual racing.

11kdo4x.jpg

2m5jfrt.jpg

o9egrs.jpg

2wdxbt1.jpg

NHale

Orgun said:
Probably another licence issue :rolleyes

edit: Oh and some of the HUD can be seen - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150246499110270&set=o.74881132059&type=1&theater

So the HUD is in front of the right rear view mirror and the right tyre. Fantastic.

At least the game looks a lot better than F1 2010 even in the rain.

EDIT: I hope they implemented an option to have a scroll in the standings on the HUD (like NASCAR 2011) because when cars start to pit we need to know where everyone is, especially when it starts/stops to rain and someone pits to put a different type of tyre.

If someone pits and starts to get quicker, we will never know. Just give me an option to have that left standings to scroll (with lap times and splits) so I'm able to make informed decisions on track. This happens in every race but it's impossible to do in F1 2010. Alonso would never ruin his championship title if he wasn't able to know that Webber overtaked Alguersuari because he was 5 places behind.

I use T-Cam and I never use the mirrors. I just have the indicator turned on so the arrow pops up and tells me where a car is when close.

Not saying it's good design to cover it, because it is blatantly retarded, but it won't be a issue for me.

deim0s

Thanks for the impressions Lucius86!

Watching that schumy/webber vid from the codies forums... they deliberately crashed into the wall, still no insta-kill or the damage was turned off on those vids? :/

Orgun

deim0s said:
Thanks for the impressions Lucius86!

Watching that schumy/webber vid from the codies forums... they deliberately crashed into the wall, still no insta-kill or the damage was turned off on those vids? :/

Damage was probably turned off, there was 'insta kill' in 2010...I should know :p

Lucius86

Banned
Kyaw said:
Can't wait to see properly driven footage.

I wasn't racing in any of these, just recording, so there is still some dodgy driving here. But the game is vastly different in feel - I went off numerous times too. There will be a learning curve for everyone again.

Kyaw

Lucius86 said:
I wasn't racing in any of these, just recording, so there is still some dodgy driving here. But the game is vastly different in feel - I went off numerous times too. There will be a learning curve for everyone again.

Well damn... :(

Good thing, i plan on learning the tracks without the racing line.

Lucius86

Banned
Sorry - I am really paranoid about the embargo as other vids have been taken down - I will make these all public again at 10am tomorrow.

Menus look much nicer, as does the damage.

You can tell the handling is different just by watching the cars. The way they move looks extremely odd after spending so much time with 2010.

I'm not sure I even like the bottom right UI with the rev counter after seeing it in motion. I'm with Orgun, that shit needs to be modded before anything else now the piss filter is gone.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
The biggest feature that I wanted...spectating...is in, and I am OVER THE FUCKING MOON!!! Thank you very much Codies!

Now if Sprint Race mode has been reworked and now contains a lobby of people hosting them, I'll be fucking SET!!!

Man this game....

Lucius86

Banned
So here are all of my vid clips now the embargo is up.

First Silverstone race (no engine sound, speakers did not work, can hear me asking about the ghosting of cars in MP races) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrqW7GVgVLo

Floor demonstration by Codemasters, with David Croft commentating - very funny! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYV1E_ZRdV8

Some footage of the menu structure in F1 2011 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gt9WvxuMtg

Split screen action - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOfpnwje8Ys

External view of a Silverstone race - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkCHHWEKRiA

Some more Silverstone fail - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqSwIF4Jgw8

WET footage at Silverstone with no assists - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_7AacJXqLY

Replay of a nice crash at Eau Rouge, Spa (poor Williams gets flipped) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1a1jDO2Hs4

Silverstone wet, with TC on - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpwgRGn6se0

And some more Silverstone wet footage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY2Sl59VRIc

Some Spa dry racing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn_czJbjZY0

And lastly, some more Spa dry racing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6YDTlTBXE

tipped

Neo Member
Thanks for all these great vids Lucius.

This new Silverstone layout is such an unknown to me, Ima miss the bridge so much :(. Can't wait to race it. Would love to be sinking a few hours into the game this afternoon in anticipation of the GP this weekend.

Lucius86

Banned
tipped said:
Thanks for all these great vids Lucius.

This new Silverstone layout is such an unknown to me, Ima miss the bridge so much :(. Can't wait to race it. Would love to be sinking a few hours into the game this afternoon in anticipation of the GP this weekend.

Yeah, I forgot the starting line is totally different this year too - first lap I went straight into the wall expecting a totally different corner. Thankfull Hamilton and Davidson were not watching me on my first lap!

NHale

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm not sure I even like the bottom right UI with the rev counter after seeing it in motion. I'm with Orgun, that shit needs to be modded before anything else now the piss filter is gone.

I hope they read the negative feedback for the HUD and tweak it before release for all of us console peasants because we don't have mods.

Staab

Really nice feedback folks, I'm already over excited :D
Game looks even better than before and can't wait to try out the improved driving model.

Oh and being able to post will help for the GAF league, so double yay I guess !

Lucius86

Banned
Staab said:
Game looks even better than before and can't wait to try out the improved driving model.

Yay, you are online at last!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Staab said:

Yey, a Staab appears!

Anyway, the things that stood out to be in this build of F1 2011 were as follows:

The AI: They are no longer braindead, indeed, they are sometimes a bit too racy, a I seen more crashes between AI in 4 hours than I seen in F1 2010 pretty much. They also seem more aware of ohter cars, AI and human, and will react a lot better to pressure. While it's still not perfect, it's a huge change from F1 2010.

The driving model (using a wheel at least, which just makes the Gamepad controls feel a little lacking) is a lot more precise, and makes you feel a lot more in control of the car, even if it makes the actual driving a bit harder. No longer can you use the little tricks to stop yourself from spins or moments, and you actually have to battle the cars in order to keep it on the road. I look forward to seeing how the FFB model works on my DFGT, but so far I'm impressed.

As Lucius has stated though, the handling experience is different for each car, so in the career mode at least, progression through the teams will be more than just getting into a faster version of the car you just driven, which should be interesting.

All in all, I just want F1 2011 now. F1 2010 was a good game, but after seeing the next installment early, I'm not sure I can enjoy the game as much any more!

Visually the game looks really improved, the sky is more then a low quality jpg and from that off screen footage there is less drowned out colour which the first game suffers with.

I love the new hud too, it's no official tv stuff but it looks stylish, seeing the kers battery makes me tingle.

Top Bottom