• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F3AR revealed.Yes, it's named F3AR, so original.

TTG

ram said:
does anybody care? F3AR is one of these games, that shouldnt exist to begin with.

Plugging Fear's core gameplay(minus bullet time, or not) into any number of Triple A shooters would make them better.

Anyway, they should really get rid of that film grain filter they had. Strip away everything and focus on the shooting, whatever the cost. I don't care if I'm in office buildings the whole game, I don't care if I'm getting the "story" through phone messages. Stick to your strengths Monolith.

Hell yes. God, I wish we could delete all the l337 posts so we can get this shit on track.

I love Monolith - can't wait to see what they put together for the third go 'round.

Xater

Amir0x said:
I sorta liked F.E.A.R. 2, and sorta liked F.E.A.R. 1, so I'm sorta looking forward to F.3.A.R.

Sorta.

Both were competent shooters. Nothing more, nothing less.

Older Monolith titles were more interesting but sadly not successful :(

nexen

TTG said:
Plugging Fear's core gameplay(minus bullet time, or not) into any number of Triple A shooters would make them better.

Anyway, they should really get rid of that film grain filter they had. Strip away everything and focus on the shooting, whatever the cost. I don't care if I'm in office buildings the whole game, I don't care if I'm getting the "story" through phone messages. Stick to your strengths Monolith.

Oh, amen. I hate the silly half-baked "horror" theme they have slapped on Fear but I love their gunplay. That walker in Fear2 was aces as well.

Loxley

We are talking about the same people who initially named F.E.A.R. 2 just "Project Origin". Which, if I'm not mistaken, was actually a name chosen by fans.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Loxley said:
We are talking about the same people who initially named F.E.A.R. 2 just "Project Origin". Which, if I'm not mistaken, was actually a name chosen by fans.
That's because Sierra owned the name... or at least, WB didn't.

GWX

Monolith, combine the awesome gunplay, level design and AI from the first game and the environment variety and improved presentation from the second one and YOU HAVE A WINNER.

UUGGHHHHH.... give us Condemned 3 already!!! :mad:

fear was okay, fear 2 was really good, and im sure fear 3 will be enjoyable too- but seriously. take note from other companies that cycle your franchises to keep things fresh and your customers from getting burned out on a specific IP.

ArjanN

Loxley said:

That was just because they didn't have the rights to that name anymore.

And I'm sure the F3AR thing is somwhat tongue in cheek: "Remember what H.A.R.M. stands for!"

FLEABttn said:
Now that we've hopefully got all the naming jokes out of our system, I'd like it if they took the series in a direction more like the first than the second. The second kind of felt like Fear meets Modern Warfare, especially with the engine basically dropping the whole realtime shadows bit (or at least it felt like it did).

The first is a timeless classic I still have installed and speak highly of whenever the opportunity arises, while Fear 2 was something that was a good two day distraction, only to be purged off my hard drive once completed.
Well I thought pinning dudes against the walls back in the days was the shit, didn't feel the second one so pretty hesitant towards F.3.A.R. and the stupid name sure doesn't help.

Haunted

F3AR?

really?

no sale because of the stupid name alone. 2 was pretty fun at times, but no comparison to the first one, really.

edit: and how does that even work with what the abbreviation - hilariously, I might add - stood for in the first place? (First Encounter Assault Recon) :lol

FEAR 2 was ok in a sense but still lacked a little boost of originality.

But god man dont F up the MP this time. You had to go insane to get the MP trophies by yourself.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Dresden said:
She looked so much better as a child.

Now she looks like she took too much meth.

children can never be scary to me..more like ..silly?
so I actually LOVED it when she turned into a grown woman :D

Commanche Raisin Toast said:

fear was okay, fear 2 was really good, and im sure fear 3 will be enjoyable too- but seriously. take note from other companies that cycle your franchises to keep things fresh and your customers from getting burned out on a specific IP.

Condemned 2 could've been much better and more like its predecessor. I wont mind a 3 if they took something from the original.

Acosta

For god's shake...

Pass, I refuse to give more money to Monolith until they put a rest to the scary stuff and come back to the good stuff. Less Alma and more:

e96bgw.jpg

Dr3adful art d3sign in that pictur3. No r3ally, it is quit3 awful. I lik3 how th3y also ripp3d off Vamp's for3h3ad bull3thol3. But th3 worst thing about th3 gam3 has got to b3 th3 thr33s. Who, in a post Driver 3 3ra, would have th3 right mind to do that? It is just 0bnoxiou5.

VaLiancY

Acosta said:
For god's shake...

Pass, I refuse to give more money to Monolith until they put a rest to the scary stuff and come back to the good stuff. Less Alma and more:

nolf.jpg

Since I'm not getting a SWAT 5, you can't get another NOLF.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I wish Monolith would regain the rights to the Blood franchise and make a triumphant return with the real Blood 2 (Blood II: The Chosen was awful) rather than waste their time on this shitty 'horror' franchise :'(

Yikes. Looking at the thread title I first read that as "Far 3," then "3 Far," then saw the "Fear" and assumed it was some tacky no-name company trying to get around the Fear license. :p

Lime

So what is F3AR now an acronym for? Originally it was the horrendous "First Encounter Assault Recon", so now it must be something different? Like "First 3-way Assault Recon"?

DERP_normal.jpg

Mar

Neuromancer said:
Sign me up. FEAR was OK, but I thought FEAR 2 was even better.

Agreed.

TTG said:
Strip away everything and focus on the shooting, whatever the cost.

This is possibly the worst idea you could ever have. You seriously want Monolith to leave its niche and try and compete with the one billion 'normal' shooters out there? Compete with MOH, COD, MW, BF and Halo? They'd get destroyed. Their one angle into relevancy is keeping to what they do well, which is horror. And they do it very very well.

Team Klimt said:
Hell yes. God, I wish we could delete all the l337 posts so we can get this shit on track.

Yeah, and it's sad that my excitement over the reveal of a game I've been looking forward to is lessened by
F
AR
pages of whining about the name. In fact I had no idea this thread had anything to do with the FEAR franchise until going into it. The thread title is completely vague.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:

I too would be more excited over a Condemned sequel announcement. But FEAR is still a good franchise regardless. Not as good, but still worthy.

Top Bottom