• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable: Heroes (XBLA) At Microsoft Showcase

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Are there other games like Fable II and especially Fable III out there? A lot of criticism can be leveled at the franchise, but they are rather unique blends of genres with some interesting features you don't see very often.

Microsoft is over relying on Fable and it'll soon become stagnant. One of the few franchises they have left.

Dabanton

Microsoft is over relying on Fable and it'll soon become stagnant. One of the few franchises they have left.

Fable II release date: October 21, 2008

Fable III: Release date: 26 October 2010

Looking at space between release dates for the previous 2 games i don't really see how in your words MS is "over relying" on a game.

I think some people need to put aside what they think Vs actual facts.

Takao

Banned
I notice no one has answered this one...

So, I will then.

Uncharted is a 5+ million seller that has received universal praise.

Resistance is basically dead the day Burning Skies ships.

Killzone is cheap to make because they're heavily subsidized.

They exist for the reasons they do, just as Fable exists for the reasons it does.

Doffen

So, I will then.

They exist for the reasons they do, just as Fable exists for the reasons it does.

My point was that he basically declared Fable a dying series, without any further information as of why.

Takao

Banned
Well facts don't count here I guess, only one franchise did that.

edit: wait ... no franchise did that actually, could have fooled me with your generalization.

Halo will do that this generation depending on how you view ODST. Since you'll have Halo 3, Wars, ODST, Reach, and 4.

My point was that he basically declared Fable a dying series, without any further information as of why.

I can't speak for him, but I'm going to guess that was a quality dig. I enjoyed the second game but haven't even bothered with the third because of the stigma and word of mouth about it.

I get that it looks like MS has no exclusive, and ms is milking their big 4 main games, but cmon now. Nintendo and sony are no different. For every fable and halo release we've seen a pokemon, mario, or uncharted release.

I can't speak for him, but I'm going to guess that was a quality dig. I enjoyed the second game but haven't even bothered with the third because of the stigma and word of mouth about it.

For the record, I loved Fable III and thought it was better than the previous entries, but I am in an extreme minority here.

Dabanton

So, I will then.

And that's all that anyone can ask for. But there seems to be a different standard when it comes to Fable for some reason.

In my head if a game is successful and has a fanbase it gets another game. I'm sure some posters think in their heads that developers think "Oh shit know it all from Neogaf says were over relying and milking this game lets stop development immediately."

nasos_333

Looking at space between release dates for the previous 2 games i don't really see how in your words MS is "over relying" on a game.

Indeed, the fact is that many people love Fable (me included) and dont want it to stopin the slightest, in fact i will get xbox 720 day one for Fable 4 myself

Another fact is that it is one of the best selling series of all time and Fable 3 was the best selling in the series, which means it will never stop as well

These are the facts so far :)

I do agree that quality wise it is in decline though, mainly the combat becomes more and more indifferent, but other things like the world have become much better and more complex, so it is not all bad and downgrade either, there are things that have improved a lot

Lionhead's only problem is the "if its working, why fix it", if they had kept Fable 1 combat in Fable 2-3, they would have been far better received

Indeed. To put things in perspective, since 2008 we've gotten 5 Ratchet & Clank games (6 if we count the PS2 port of Size Matters).

And one of the the few franchises they have left? I understand that many people here dislike Microsoft's way of handling their first party portfolio, but there's no reason to get ridiculous.

Insane or sarcasm?

Anyway... I find it interesting that MS seems to be moving big stuff to xbla, surely this must point to the coming of a new console with full BC.

Not sure about all the dumb franchise fatigue talk. All I know is that Fable's single strongest element is its charming and very consistent world. I have no problem with different types of action games set in that place. Yeah, it means a whole lot of Fable, but there's a fuck ton of Mario and Zelda and Uncharted and Little Big Planet and blah and blah...

Gorki247

2210_Beanpire03.jpg

What the hell

Anyway Gauntlet style Fable sounds cool

Satchel

Banned
After 3 Fables, I've kinda lost interest in the series. I think its time for a new IP.

Gotta love comments like this when we have, what 20 plus Final Fantasy games?

I don't even like the Fable games, but it amuses me when people on forums pick and choose which franchises are "burnt out" or "milked" these days. Especially when there's always a far worse example out there.

An RPG franchise has a whole 3 titles in the series?!? Wow, that must be the longest running RPG franchise in history.

Wait. No it isn't.

Top Bottom