• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face off DmC X1 PS4. Where for art thou AF!

MaLDo

Your post has stamp sized pictures with no link for me to go back to the source though, and you are evading my point:
(nm, I found where to click to enlarge the pic. All the shots you posted do have AF to some varying degree as far as I can tell).

So, these shots DO have AF, and Alien Isolation has a 16x. So what now?

The shots I posted have a similiar filtering than DmC ones but you can't compare with another ones.

i dont see jack shit difference... but the game is no looker anyway

qmewOwf.png

Lkq2tcp.png

If you can't see a difference here then you legitimately have eye problems.

geordiemp

I read a forum post where someone said dying light AF had been patched on Ps4.

Can anyone confirm this who has dying light ?

If so, I would seem that some devs just forgot....

Its just so weird that this has been going on for a few months now for a few games, people in uproar and just dead silence from the game community or Sony.

Sony needs a bloody PR guy that can be contacted about such stuff on social media. Silence is deafening sometimes and MS are far better at communicating recently about things they are fixing and improving.

I want to buy this game, but I refuse to support such poor 'definitive version' that looks worse than Ps3. No bloody way.

Skux

Shakspeare fan here. "Wherefore" does not mean "where", it means "why".

Juliet asks "Wherefore art thou Romeo? Deny thy father and refuse thy name; or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love and I’ll no longer be a Capulet."

She's saying, "Why must you be Romeo?" Why am I love with you when you are you named Romeo and a Capulet, my family's enemy. If you don't renounce your name I would do it for mine so we can be together.

Elandyll

Banned
Unfortunately no one has a clear idea about it. Big suspect SDK doesn't support the AF properly in the multiplat engine.

But if that was the case with the SDK, wouldn't even in-house engines like Activision's (Destiny, COD...), Ubisoft (Far Cry 4, AC4...) and Creative Assembly (Alien Isolation) or even Frostbite 3 (BF4, DAI) show the same problems?

They don't afaik.

Imo it'll eventually be sourced to the way some engines convert Direct X related filtering routines into OpenGL ones. That's my guess anyway :)

But no one plays 5 versions of a game at once.

I'm fairly certain that a PS4 owner playing this won't reallt notice. Especially in a game like DmC. This just seems waaaaay down the scale of stuff that matters/is noticeable.

You don't need to have more than one version in front of your eyes to tell that something is wrong with the textures. The filtering used makes them look fucking terrible.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
You don't need to have more than one version in front of your eyes to tell that something is wrong with the textures. The filtering used makes them look fucking terrible.

At a distance. Again, it just seems so trivial in the grand scheme of things. Jaggies are noticeable, 30 vs 60 is noticeable, 1080 vs 720 is fairly noticeable. AF? At a distance? Not so much.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If people can't notice af issues I refuse to believe they can see this gen resolution differences

I can't really. I played the Hardline beta on both consoles and they both looked equally shit to me.

Frame rate is pretty much the only thing that's immediately noticeable to me.

Kayant

My take away from the article:

Good!

That should bring light to this because it's looking more of a per-dev issue than an API or hardware issue as some suggest IMO as if it was a API/SDK problem then all/most games will have the problem which hasn't been the case so far.

At a distance. Again, it just seems so trivial in the grand scheme of things. Jaggies are noticeable, 30 vs 60 is noticeable, 1080 vs 720 is fairly noticeable. AF? At a distance? Not so much.

It doesn't matter how close or far you are when all detail is lost if it isn't viewed directly head on. A lack of AF is not a problem solved by sitting further away from your set.

Elandyll

Banned
Posted by Jurass in the "other" PS4 AF thread:

It looks like Dying Light got its AF patched in recently on PS4

Before:
DyingLightComp-Image02-PS4.jpg

After:
FgoyDBd.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=155567641&postcount=1022

Would confirm my suspicion: Automated tools to convert Direct X filtering routines -> Open GL do not function correctly on some engines, UE3 being the most prominent apaprently, and you have to go back and correct that "manually" (note that I have no clue how hard that can be or if it actually -is- the case. But as already discused above AF can be set on a per texture basis).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Before:

After:
FgoyDBd.jpg

Would confirm my suspicion: Automated tools to convert Direct X filtering routines -> Open GL do not function correctly on some engines, and you have to go back and correct that "manually" (note that I have no clue how hard that can be. But as alsready discused above AF can be set as per texture basis).
Oh nice. Had not heard about this yet.

Before:

After:
FgoyDBd.jpg

Would confirm my suspicion: Automated tools to convert Direct X filtering routines -> Open GL do not function correctly on some engines, UE3 being the most prominent apaprently, and you have to go back and correct that "manually" (note that I have no clue how hard that can be or if it actually -is- the case. But as already discused above AF can be set on a per texture basis).

Subtract one from the list. People should go back and check some more games to see if those got fixed too.

If your theory is correct it shouldn't be too hard to fix, just time consuming if they have different values on a texture by texture basis.

dr_rus

So you don't notice any difference between these two screenshots?

samhd_2015_03_12_02_0ehu9n.jpg

samhd_2015_03_12_02_06pu27.jpg

Right?

Sony just shot themselves in the foot. I don’t know how much the rest of you know about graphics technology (I’m an expert), but AF and AA are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in the PC space you can become successful by adjusting AF out of nowhere. If you screw over a playstation gamer, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is to force AF on PS4 games. What this means is gamers after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase DMC for either PS4 nor will they purchase any sony third party games due to the lack of AF compared to Xbox One. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Cerny has alienated an entire market with this move. Sony, publicly apologize and force AF on for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Da fuck.

Gbraga

Your post has stamp sized pictures with no link for me to go back to the source though, and you are evading my point:
(nm, I found where to click to enlarge the pic. All the shots you posted do have AF to some varying degree as far as I can tell).

So, these shots DO have AF, and Alien Isolation has a 16x. So what now?

Alien Isolation also runs better than the PS4 on weaker GPUs than the PS4.

15268e03_HxaUtMW.jpeg

The 750 Ti runs it at 60fps. And on very high settings, I'm not even sure the PS4 is equivalent to the game maxed out on PC.

And Second Son does have AF, but it's not that good.

I don't see how those are good points in order to show that the PS4 does not struggle with AF.

Dying Light being patched though, that is a good point, I wish Techland would provide us with some info about the tech behind that.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Is this even realistically noticeable? Honestly?

According to DF it is when you're standing still, which of course is something you don't do in DMC.

I'm wondering is this something people purposely look for? Im asking because it's something that never caught my eye in Dying Light, and I was oblivious about it until I saw it mentioned on GAF.

According to DF it is when you're standing still, which of course is something you don't do in DMC.

I'm wondering is this something people purposely look for? Im asking because it's something that never caught my eye in Dying Light, and I was oblivious about it until I saw it mentioned on GAF.

By that excuse texture quality in general wouldn't matter. You're not looking at it too closely because you're not moving, therefore it's not a big deal if it's at a lower resolution. For that case, neither does the geometry matter. It could be a PS2 era boxy environment--it's not like you're standing still and looking at it, right?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
By that excuse texture quality in general wouldn't matter. You're not looking at it too closely because you're not moving, therefore it's not a big deal if it's at a lower resolution. For that case, neither does the geometry matter. It could be a PS2 era boxy environment--it's not like you're standing still and looking at it, right?

I think texture quality and boxy environments would be more noticeable.

ship it

wondering if the port quality is the reason why no PC version has been announced yet. or maybe it has and I missed it.

cgcg

Before:

After:
FgoyDBd.jpg

So pretty much confirmed it's a developer issue. Pretty damn lazy honestly.

The patch looks to at least have 8x AF possibly 16x.

Someone should create a new thread titled "PS4 AF mystery solved." People were so concerned after all.

HardRojo

I don't get why people still come to a DF thread to claim how they can't see or won't notice the difference during gameplay. PS4 version of DmC has a terrible implementation of AF, that's a fact. If there's a technical difference between versions, no matter how minimal, people will discuss it, it doesn't matter whether you notice it or not. Do people really expect others to discuss gameplay heavily in what is supposed to be a technical analysis thread? That's why the OT exists right?

Until we've got word straight from the horse's mouth, this is the strongest theory I've seen. The fact that games are generally designed for PC first is a good thing for both of these consoles given that they're both much closer to PC architecture than any console before now, but the fact that they're also generally designed for DirectX specifically is turning out to help the Xbone pretty significantly despite the PS4's objectively more powerful hardware. Interesting.

Top Bottom