• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FaceApp apparently now has race filters. I never got the humor in these.

I don't think its meant to be humorous or funny, unless with cases like the Trump pic where it completely botches it up. Just cool and interesting tech.

Yeah.

I expected this to be some awful filter but this is actually impressive from a tech point of view.

IMG_0005.jpg

Bottom left looks like he's smiling a bit less than the others

TheYanger

Yeah idk. It's pretty cool, but then of course it's going to be "Post black me on facebook for laughs" and that's pretty damn racist. So...idk. Like, that's CLEARLY going to be the most used part of this, even though in and of itself it's more of a curiosity than anything funny or whatever.

Afrocious

Yeah idk. It's pretty cool, but then of course it's going to be "Post black me on facebook for laughs" and that's pretty damn racist. So...idk. Like, that's CLEARLY going to be the most used part of this, even though in and of itself it's more of a curiosity than anything funny or whatever.

The funny thing is that an example of what you're talking about is how I learned about this.

This technology is pretty impressive and I don't see why some people are getting mad over it, but idk, maybe it's a cultural thing? 🤔

Dabanton

But what's funny about it, that is, if you find it funny?

It's interesting to see people look slightly different but still recognizable.

I'm a black male seeing myself as Asian or Caucasian is by terms amusing and fascinating as I can see 'me' but I look extremely different

Fuchsdh

I don't think its meant to be humorous or funny, unless with cases like the Trump pic where it completely botches it up. Just cool and interesting tech.

Yep. I don't think there's innately anything funny except when it royally messes up, same with the gender swapping. It is a really cool application of technology.

If someone uses this somehow to make fun of other races and stuff, sure, that's racist.

I'm latino so what the hell do I know, but I don't understand what's wrong with racial or ethnic phenotypes? I think it sparks that genuine curiosity about each other and how we would look had we been born to a different family. Is it that you think it's caricaturizing or exaggerating said characteristics?

Izuna

Banned
I'm latino so what the hell do I know, but I don't understand what's wrong with racial or ethnic phenotypes? I think it sparks that genuine curiosity about each other and how we would look had we been born to a different family. Is it that you think it's caricaturizing or exaggerating said characteristics?

America, I guess

It needs more options though. We got east Asian and south Asian, but no south east asian.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
When I had people doing this to me for the old/female/etc at the time it was pretty startling how good it looked.

It's stupid but the curiosity factor takes over. What would I look like if I was _____ isn't an outlandish question to ask.

Alienfan

It's not the app itself that's the issue (it's pretty amazing tech) but the people posting the pictures for racist purposes.

Somnid

Some of the results here aren't half bad looking. Cool tech.

As for racism, well, some people are going to be less than thrilled with the idea especially when white people do it for lulz. Though it's probably better to embrace and own it as a tool than fear it. Hell, you could probably do some cool implicit bias studies with it.

I'm lost. If it was making folks look jacked up like the Trump one, I'd get it.

Maybe I don't see the humor in wanting to see how I'd look like as a different race. I can see the curiosity, but that's a separate thing.

I'm joking, I don't find it funny except those meme guys (old smiling man, nervous man from the 2016 election, etc)

Alienous

How is this not blackface?

How does this carry any of the malice and bad intent that blackface did?

I guess it's under the general umbrella of 'blackface', but put the moniker aside - why is the actual software implementation negative?

Afrocious

Some of the results here aren't half bad looking. Cool tech.

As for racism, well, some people are going to be less than thrilled with the idea especially when white people do it for lulz. Though it's probably better to embrace and own it as a tool than fear it. Hell, you could probably do some cool implicit bias studies with it.

Basically.

lulz stuff tho...thumbs down.

Breh! I almost fell out of my seat at work trying this. It's like they didn't even try to adjust my face and instead copied some random face over mine!

I gave up on snapchat when it couldn't recognize myself and other black friends I have for some filter thing we were doing. It's unfortunately a documented thing.

How does this carry any of the malice and bad intent that blackface did?

I guess it's under the general umbrella of 'blackface', but put the moniker aside - why is the actual software implementation negative?

I think folks are hung up on the idea of the tech being racist and not questioning the use of such tech being problematic. Again, nobody blamed the paint and make up for blackface. The focus was on the person and the reason.

Could the tech be racist itself? I can't say. I think it's cool and tasteless though.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
But what's funny about it, that is, if you find it funny?

The humour comes from the intrigue, and mild surprise, in how the computer interprets your facial structure into that of other races. It's nothing more sinister than that - at least I hope not.

I doubt anyone here is saying "haha how dumb do I look as an Asian person".

Unless the results are shit, in which case you're laughing at the poor implementation.

manakel

The humour comes from the intrigue, and mild surprise, in how the computer interprets your facial structure into that of other races. It's nothing more sinister than that - at least I hope not.

I doubt anyone here is saying "haha how dumb do I look as an Asian person".

Unless the results are shit, in which case you're laughing at the poor implementation.
Exactly. I'm mixed (half black/half white) and it's interesting/funny to see how this app portrays me as white vs. black. Apparently I have more white facial features because I come out looking the same.

People need to drop this notion of laughter = malice.

Top Bottom