• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FaceApp apparently now has race filters. I never got the humor in these.

MCjCeA6.jpg

ZljmV3C.jpg

ZK9DFlr.jpg

uk3IG4T.jpg

Alienous

Remember Faceapp's "hotness" filter that turned dark skin light?

I presume that it was trained on celebrities considered attractive, and that would have a bias towards white actors and actresses (because socially, and unfortunately, that's a bias that exists - you can look at any top 100), resulting in lightening dark skin.

That seems more reasonable that any malicious intent, and the fact that they disabled it (at least I recall them doing so) suggests it being a result of the algorithm rather than anything purposeful.

I gave up on snapchat when it couldn't recognize myself and other black friends I have for some filter thing we were doing. It's unfortunately a documented thing.

Been there, done that. Whatever you do, if you're black, don't try to do the black filter on yourself. IT JUST DOESN'T WORK!

Afrocious

This is great. Thanks for making me aware of it OP.

You're welcome. Just resist the urge to make one of the pictures your FB avatar as an attempt to make folks laugh at the fact you're displaying yourself as a race that you're not, or else you'll find yourself on the wrong side of "I'm not racist, but..."

Orbis

I presume that it was trained on celebrities considered attractive, and that would have a bias towards white actors and actresses (because socially, and unfortunately, that's a bias that exists - you can look at any top 100), resulting in lightening dark skin.

That seems more reasonable that any malicious intent, and the fact that they disabled it (at least I recall them doing so) suggests it being a result of the algorithm rather than anything purposeful.
Yes it was due to limited training data and just really poor testing. I have no idea how they managed to not see that coming. They removed that after people rightly protested it.

daviyoung

Banned
You're welcome. Just resist the urge to make one of the pictures your FB avatar as an attempt to make folks laugh at the fact you're displaying yourself as a race that you're not, or else you'll find yourself on the wrong side of "I'm not racist, but..."

I assume this thread is not going as you wished?

I wonder if folks will use these pics on dating profiles. Now THAT would be interesting (and sad [and scary]).

It's kind of weird that you are coming up with all of these somewhat creepy and racist scenarios. I guess it could happen, but why would anyone do it?!

I have a feeling the database is built off of famous people's portraits so it's often you'll see celebrity features expressed.

It has to be, the channels there are too defined not to be. It's still really impressive how well it meshes. But I agree that it's definitely other faces mapped over.

Hopeford

Used the "young" filter on me and was like "holy shit young me looks like a teenager! Hah, I've grown so much!"

Stopped to see what was different.

Literally only difference was that young me had shaved.

Fuck

Lurk

Banned
Poor OP wanted that outcryTM but instead got people using it. If it was only white to black sure racist but everyone can do anything even make people who don't smile smile would you like one of those for you ?!

Afrocious

Poor OP wanted that outcryTM but instead got people using it. If it was only white to black sure racist but everyone can do anything even make people who don't smile smile would you like one of those for you ?!

I was wondering when these would start popping up.

timshundo

is this a meme quote orrrr?

Top Bottom