• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FaceApp apparently now has race filters. I never got the humor in these.

Did someone post Kim Jong-un already?

DG0WkVrXgAAB_Bg.jpg:large

It's not. People are diluting the word "racist" and it in no way applies to this.
Yea come on, no way people are legit mad at this.

I mean ofc some people are because they are the type to outrage over everything but come on!

No fun allowed always bc of this bullshit

As a Latino, it was interesting to see how I looked like as a white, black, Indian, and Asian. The black filter was super interesting, since my great grandmother was black. Tried to show my wife the filters, but they are gone.

border

If you downloaded a version of this app that had the filters, can you still used it? Or have they wiped them away on the server side?

All I really wanted to do was see how I looked with the varying filters......wasn't going to make stupid jokes or post it on Facebook.

Jzero

No it's flat out racist, my skin colour is not something that someone can causally use for cheap 5 second laugh.

Stfu. I'm afro-mexican and would have loved to see how I would look with dark skin like half of my family.

If you downloaded a version of this app that had the filters, can you still used it? Or have they wiped them away on the server side?

All I really wanted to do was see how I looked with the varying filters......wasn't going to make stupid jokes or post it on Facebook.

I think it's a web app. I downloaded an older APK and it didn't have the features either.

Uhyve

There's a really interesting discussion to be had here. There's those who see this as digital blackface Vs those who see it as highlighting the small difference between races.

I think it's a disservice to the issue to just be like, this is the answer.

Hydrus

Was able to save mine before it got pulled. Replaced "Asian" and "Indian" with "male".

This is insane. I legit don't know which one is the real you. I can see why this app got pulled. Seems like a easy way to fake an identity online. Pedo's and molesters would have a field day with this.

rackham

There's a really interesting discussion to be had here. There's those who see this as digital blackface Vs those who see it as highlighting the small difference between races.

I think it's a disservice to the issue to just be like, this is the answer.

Well the answer is definitely not about racism. To say it is is not only uneducated, but it's harmful to the actual definition of the word.

Hell, the answer is that the app is fine but people like to have this faux outrage and it's disingenuous
I mean, I do understand why it's shitty, it's basically racial stereotyping in it's purest form.

OH it's stereotyping now. Pray tell how it's stereotyping.

Should we call it discriminatory too?

How about prejudiced??

If we start using words without knowing the proper meanings it makes you (and everyone else) look like fools.

AT THE MOST you can say that this is disrespectful but come the fuck on.

Haunted

I continue to be impressed by the tech behind this app. It delivers fascinatingly convincing results.

Tasteless and classless, sure. But I respect the tech.

Gin-Shiio

What gets me is some people in this thread thinking this filter accurately portrayed what they would have look like if they were mixed just a tad differently. That is racism based on ignorance, because you think one race/ethnicity boils down to these specific features their algorithm provides. Look, you wouldn't have magically grown that mustache.

border

How does the filter handle white men with long, straight hair? I feel like it would be difficult to convert that into a convincing black guy.

Seventy70

I mean, I do understand why it's shitty, it's basically racial stereotyping in it's purest form.
...it's a neural network. It's taking a shitload of real photos to generate a result. It's not as if they are just slapping a bunch of random features on the photo to make it look like a race. Look at black Lightening for example. No stereotypical features whatsoever and it looks believable. It depends on the input picture.

I really hope they bring this back up because it looks fun as hell. I want to plaster other race versions of people like Steve Bannon everywhere to piss them off.

Uhyve

I think that's why this is interesting. This is an AI trying to discern the difference between races. In reality, these differences are the only actual differences between races. It's kind of an amazing demonstration when you think about it.

Laiza

I think that's why this is interesting. This is an AI trying to discern the difference between races. In reality, these differences are the only actual differences between races. It's kind of an amazing demonstration when you think about it.
Yeah, exactly. The minute nature of the different filters shows just how alike we all actually are in the end, at least physically. Really helps describe that racism really does boil down to prejudice based on the color of one's skin.

I can get folks being annoyed by certain features being common (like some filters giving people mustaches or the wide noses of the "African" filter), but that's an easily solved problem, and one that is simply a consequence of the data fed into the neural network, not a product of any sort of malice on their part.

I wonder if people would still be this okay with it if it didn't work so well
Obviously not. The fact that it works so well is a huge part of what makes it so fascinating.

If it worked poorly it'd just be another in a long line of poorly-executed image filters.

rackham

What gets me is some people in this thread thinking this filter accurately portrayed what they would have look like if they were mixed just a tad differently. That is racism based on ignorance, because you think one race/ethnicity boils down to these specific features their algorithm provides. Look, you wouldn't have magically grown that mustache.

And your post isn't ignorant? People don't look the same. People in the same race don't always have similar features.

Again, stop using the word racism. Look the word up and then come back and talk about ignorance.

Gin-Shiio

And your post isn't ignorant? People don't look the same. People in the same race don't always have similar features.

Again, stop using the word racism. Look the word up and then come back and talk about ignorance.

Are you a man on a mission? I say exactly what you say in the bolded. And what's racist isn't the filter, but some posters thinking their outer appearance if their mom or dad were of that specific race instead would be accurately portrayed by this filter. Which it isn't.

rackham

Are you a man on a mission? I say exactly what you say in the bolded. And what's racist isn't the filter, but some posters thinking their outer appearance if their mom or dad were of that specific race instead would be accurately portrayed by this filter. Which it isn't.

Yes I am on a mission. I get offended when people incorrectly use the word racist.

It bothers me and it should bother everyone in this thread. It's because of people constantly misusing the word that the ignorance continues.

Top Bottom