• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FaceApp apparently now has race filters. I never got the humor in these.

Wish I had a phone just for this.

Sjo1SLK.jpg

The constipation face is universal.

VeeP

I know some people in this thread find the feature "gross", but I found it really cool lol. The whole thing in general. I'm a male Indian, so it was fun playing with the filter and seeing me as female, white, black, Asian, etc. Shame they took the ethnicity filter down.

Looking at when the filters got taken down, it looks like I was about one of the last people who got to see it working. I took my earlier "International Squirrel Brothers" picture and did some extra processing on it within the app. It holds up surprisingly well.

Original (Latino):
EVjcdL0.jpg

Indian:
cXXwjW4.jpg

Asian:
qHS6dCx.jpg

African:
l6PboaL.jpg

European:
LrX3TZ1.jpg
The thing that I keep seeing in these faces isn't just my own face, but also the fact that each of them, in the hypothetical alternate reality where they're real people, are very different people to me, have different backgrounds, different histories, different challenges and different goals. The way they see the world is different to me, even though for all intents and purposes they are me.

I can't even imagine what life would be like for Asian female me, the kinds of pressures she is (and isn't under). Would European male me have the same kind of job I do? Would African female me be even the slightest bit interested in video games? Does Indian male me have a good home life? I just don't know.

This is why I find the technology fascinating. It offers me a window into a world that doesn't exist, but is just plausible enough that it forces me to think about things from other people's point of view. I think it's a shame people's misuse of the app led to it being taken down, though I understand why it was necessary.

Oh, here's mine I faceapp'd before it went down.

DtmGvNV.png

Speaking of racial empathy, it was the first thing on my mind while using it. If a computer can see that we're basically all the same jumble of features and various skin colors, why can't we eventually see past them as well?

that app is seriously incredible. asian you looks like a real person. in fact, they all do.

Audioboxer

that app is seriously incredible. asian you looks like a real person. in fact, they all do.

When it stays the same sex the results can be pretty insane at times. It legitimately looks like it's just a photo of another person, not a crude photoshop, or just someone adding fake glasses. I think this is in part what makes many feel "uncomfortable" at first, as they can still recognise themselves, but they look convincingly like someone else. Occasionally what gives the male to female, or female to male filters away is what it does with hair. More so when it tries to make long hair short, or short hair long. Hair needs improvements.

Due to how well the app/tech does things, it probably could be the grounds for a genuine scientific study to see if seeing yourself as a different gender/race, but still being able to somewhat recognise yourself in the picture, impacts bias on feelings on different sex/race(s).

I'm not qualified yet, but it's seriously an interesting proposal to explore for anyone in the psychological fields/scientific fields. It'll have been tested before in other ways (racial/gender bias), but this technology could be new grounds for controlled experimentation. I honestly don't think it's a stretch to say very small social consequences could come from literally millions of people putting photos of themselves into an app that shows them looking normal as other races/sex. However, that is what would need to be tested on a large scale and in a controlled environment. I'd honestly put a bet on this being done, if not soon, not too far into the future.

Looking at when the filters got taken down, it looks like I was about one of the last people who got to see it working. I took my earlier "International Squirrel Brothers" picture and did some extra processing on it within the app. It holds up surprisingly well.

The thing that I keep seeing in these faces isn't just my own face, but also the fact that each of them, in the hypothetical alternate reality where they're real people, are very different people to me, have different backgrounds, different histories, different challenges and different goals. The way they see the world is different to me, even though for all intents and purposes they are me.

I can't even imagine what life would be like for Asian female me, the kinds of pressures she is (and isn't under). Would European male me have the same kind of job I do? Would African female me be even the slightest bit interested in video games? Does Indian male me have a good home life? I just don't know.

This is why I find the technology fascinating. It offers me a window into a world that doesn't exist, but is just plausible enough that it forces me to think about things from other people's point of view. I think it's a shame people's misuse of the app led to it being taken down, though I understand why it was necessary.

still fascinated by this app. I want it back. It totally shows me the world in a new way. I'm legit in awe of some of this tech.

Izuna

Banned
Indian and Cuban coworkers saw the pictures I took today and were excited to try it on themselves.

;( had to give them the bad news

Mitchollow

Neo Member
Really hope they add it back. Even if they ask us to pay for it.

Anyway found a few more on Twitter

URfGCZK.png

vHiHZ8Q.jpg

This dad gets it:
Whitehawk, I don't know how to contact you, but I want to ask you a favor. I regret tweeting that pic you posted. I deleted it off Twitter but I found it here as well. Would you mind doing deleting this old post of yours?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whitehawk, I don't know how to contact you, but I want to ask you a favor. I regret tweeting that pic you posted. I deleted it off Twitter but I found it here as well. Would you mind doing deleting this old post of yours?

He's probably gone, but EviLore EviLore or a mod would be able to help you.

You might also want to look at any archives, like the Wayback Machine, if you want to utterly scrub it.

Mitchollow

Neo Member
EviLore EviLore - someone suggested you may be able to help me remove a screenshot someone posted in this thread of an old tweet I had deleted that includes a picture of my family. Would that be possible?

The app looks neat and appears to be respectful. That being said, I don't know what is like to be anything other than White and don't quite understand the negative side effects of something like this. Although it's interesting to see where AI can be taken.

aksiram

Neo Member
They pulled it as a result of backlash, people should do more thinking about why that backlash occurred in the first place. Not all minorities have the exact same features so to have a "black filter" makes no sense. It only serves to perpetuate stereotypes. So if someone has an issue with them pulling a stupid feature due to the backlash then those people need more perspective instead of saying "nofunallowed" as if digital blackface is supposed to be fun. Rather, it's better to acknowledge why people had a problem with it in a first place.

1 - Stop calling them "minorities". The world isn't America and Europe. Black people are not minorities in African countries, Indians are not minorities in India and Asians are not minorities in Asian countries, etc. In fact, white Europeans number fewer world-wide than Africans, Indians and Asians and our numbers are declining rapidly.

2 - "Not all minorities have the exact same features" This app doesn't give all minorities the exact same features, so your argument is a fallacy. Go and look at all the black and Asian faces that have been posted and you will see they all look distinctly different. None of them have the exact same nose and lips.

3 - " Not all minorities have the exact same features so to have a black filter makes no sense" - It DOES make sense. Different races look distinctly different because our facial features, facial bone structure, eye shapes, nose shapes, lip sizes, hair type and texture, hair and eye colour etc. are on average different in appearance. That is just biological reality. If all races and indigenous people across different regions looked interchangeable, then then you would have seen pure Nigerian or Korean women looking like Amy Adams and Sage Watson walking around in Nigeria and Korea. That is not the case, is it? (Of course not talking about immigrants here).

While not all black people have a super wide and super flat nose and huge lips like George Floyd, black Bantu African people still do have wider, flatter noses and larger lips on average compared to Europeans. Google is your friend. Google any famous west African football player and you will see what I mean. They also have, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, the tightly coiled kinky hair. I was born in Zambia and then moved to Namibia and I have NEVER seen a black person with natural European hair, i.e. straight, wavy or loosely curled. Even mixed race black people's hair doesn't look European, because the curls are different. Biracial black people have loose coils, almost like spirally telephone cords, while European curly is irregular. No the nose shapes and lip sizes definitely do vary more than the hair, but still, their noses are on average wider and flatter. Additionally, on the spectrum of nose shapes, black noses occupy the extremely wide and flat side of the spectrum and no white people have noses on that end of the spectrum. There is not a single white person on the planet with a nose like George Floyd - that phenotype doesn't exist among Europeans. Likewise white people's noses occupy the small end of the nose spectrum. There is not a single black person that has a nose like Amy Adams. Not one. Lips vary more. There are indeed some black people with thin lips, but that is unusual. However, there are no white European alive on this planet that have lips anywhere nearly as large as that of George Floyd, maybe not even half as large.

Qx2wr26.jpg

So your whole premise is just false. No, the app does not give non-whites the exact same features, and no, it is not a stereotype that certain races have certain physical traits. If a Chinese artist drew a Chinese character and gave her the eyes without double eyelids, would you complain to them about stereotyping Asian eyes even though 1.4 billion Chinese have eyes that look like that? You probably won't, because they will think you are an insane person.

" it's better to acknowledge why people had a problem with it in a first place."

People have a problem with it because they are deranged and neurotic.

Last edited:
why did you bump a thread to reply to a guy who hasn't been here in 3 years

I mean... he did get the last word in though. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Though I do question some of his claims, especially as people have been gettin' it on, meaning that I'm pretty sure you can find some who would be viewed as "black" with a similar nose as Amy Adams. Not that it matters, it was just a goddamn face filter.

Last edited:
I started reading responses from page one without seeing the year posted and got very scared.

I immediately started searching for this app cause it looks like a riot. Then I saw the year posted. Then I saw the reports of social media mobs ruining the fun. Then I realized it has been three years and the lunacy has only gotten worse.

Top Bottom