• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook has acquired Oculus VR for 2 Billion US Dollars

Sciz

As a mate of mine pointed out ... Does it, or does it not go against all that Kickstarter stands for that Mr Oculus took a shed load of dosh from good willing Kickstarter contributors and then shat on them all as he jumped into bed for 2BN with Facelbook?

RIDOCULUS

Kickstarter is for... kickstarting things. There is zero guarantee or expectation that the end result will continue to be a purely grassroots endeavor, which is a completely unsustainable approach for a major hardware R&D project anyway.

stufte

As a mate of mine pointed out ... Does it, or does it not go against all that Kickstarter stands for that Mr Oculus took a shed load of dosh from good willing Kickstarter contributors and then shat on them all as he jumped into bed for 2BN with Facelbook?

RIDOCULUS

I honestly don't get why ANYONE thinks that people who contribute money to a kickstarter deserve anything beyond what is offered. My mind boggles. It's like lending your friend gas money to go to an interview and expecting a cut of his salary.

I honestly don't get why ANYONE thinks that people who contribute money to a kickstarter deserve anything beyond what is offered. My mind boggles. It's like lending your friend gas money to go to an interview and expecting a cut of his salary.
Best analogy yet

Seriously, this whole Facebook acquisition has nothing to do with Kickstarter. It was merely for the original dev kits, which happened, which was a success. That's it.

Actually if there is a link to KS, it's that a Kickstarted project became a huge marketable product, big enough to be bought by Facebook for 2 billion. This proves without a doubt that Kickstarter is valid and effective

jediyoshi

RIDOCULUS

No? The KS money is a drop in the bucket of their funding at hand before Facebook got involved and after the KS was over.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
As long as all the backers receive the rewards they were promised for their level of support, the contract is fulfilled. It's hardly "shitting" on them. As far as I know, all the dev kit 1s shipped out (albeit not as fast as some would have liked).

Bsigg12

RIDOCULUS

You clearly don't understand what Kickstarter actually is.

Despite the excitement, Iribe, founder Palmer Luckey, and vice president of product Nate Mitchell didn’t foresee the magnitude of the negative reaction to the announcement. “We assumed that the reaction would be negative, especially from our core community,” Mitchell told us. “Beyond our core community, we expected it would be positive. I don’t think we expected it to be so negative.​

Knew the fans and VR enthusiasts would hate it but did it anyway.

Because you don't make(or not make) 2bn dollar desicisions that have the chance to change life as we know based on what "FANS" think. If your in that situation, Fuck the fans.

What you've said here, and what you're complain about, would indicate otherwise.

Perhaps the ideologue in me had pipe dreams for what Kickstarter could become. Alas it's slowly becoming just another pick and choose, startup-by-proxy pool for Facebook, Google and their lik ...

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
Perhaps the ideologue in me had pipe dreams for what Kickstarter could become. Alas it's slowly becoming just another pick and choose, startup-by-proxy pool for Facebook, Google and their lik ...

Pretty much. Any worthwhile idea will be sold to the highest bidder.

Has Google and their like actually bought any other Kickstarted hardware tech/products? Or is this opinion of yours based on this single incident?

CrunchyB

Knew the fans and VR enthusiasts would hate it but did it anyway.

They have approximately 2 billion reasons not to care.

I like this analogy :)

I totally understand where some people are coming from, but they were being naive. All things considered, it's a pretty cheap life lesson.

KoopaTheCasual

Love this analogy. So apt.

Realistically Valve doesn't have money and resources to make VR big though.
Valve is the best candidate to make something like Oculus successful.

Why are you ignoring the thousands of kickstarters from small to big, that have no involvement from the likes of google or fb?

People expect too much from doing good things like they're doing something special when its just a normal thing to do, its not as genuine as someone who truly gives and anything they receive is just a bonus.

I'd argue they have less interest than Facebook does in hypothetically making VR ubiquitous, since their interest is in making Steam the primary platform for VR games instead of pushing VR far enough into the mainstream to build their "metaverse" or whatever.

There's also the distinction between Oculus's success and the success of VR in general.

Wiktor

Not really. If somebody else makes the device, then Valve would help to make it big like nobody else. But actually making in the first place? Valve lacks the money to pump into R&D that this thing requires and they lack the money to build it in mass quanities and advertise properly. They could license it out to other companies, but then the device itself would be a lot more expensive.

Simply put Valve is pretty small company, while for something like this you need a tech giant.

I'd argue they have less interest than Facebook does in hypothetically making VR ubiquitous, since their interest is in making Steam the primary platform for VR games instead of pushing VR far enough into the mainstream to build their "metaverse" or whatever.

There's also the distinction between Oculus's success and the success of VR in general.
Its true they don't need to make Oculus or VR mainstream in general, but if they did have an interest in reaping the benefits of success, I have no doubt they have the resources and capability to do so. People really underestimate how strong the Steam platform is and how it can be used to push whatever Valve wants to.

Not really. If somebody else makes the device, then Valve would help to make it big like nobody else. But actually making in the first place? Valve lacks the money to pump into R&D that this thing requires and they lack the money to build it in mass quanities and advertise properly. They could license it out to other companies, but then the device itself would be a lot more expensive.

Simply put Valve is pretty small company, while for something like this you need a tech giant.
How much money would the continual R&D actually need? Valve isn't exactly short on cash flow.

There doesn't have to be precedence ... the levee breaks with an initial single drop
Oh, so you're just sharing ridiculous unsubstantiated opinions, ignoring the fact that there are literally thousands of successful Kickstarters that don't "sell out", and that Kickstarter had absolutely nothing to do with Oculus being bought by Facebook

If anything, this shows that a Kickstarted project can become a massive success

Wiktor

How much money would the continual R&D actually need? Valve isn't exactly short on cash flow.

They were burning through dozens of millions as a bassicaly garage company. Valve isn't short on cash, but they don't have billions to throw around on wacky projects. Especially since it would need to be updated over and over again pretty much every year.

This is a big project. Lots of money and huge team needed, as well as mass orders of parts. This is pretty much the antithesis everything Valve is about. Facebook is desperate to not miss on the "next big thing". At least initially they will give Rift pretty much whatever they want.

Plus Valve is ridiculously slow. Steam Machines are taking forever to ship and those are bassicaly just regular PCs built with fancy controller.

Its true they don't need to make Oculus or VR mainstream in general, but if they did have an interest in reaping the benefits of success, I have no doubt they have the resources and capability to do so. People really underestimate how strong the Steam platform is and how it can be used to push whatever Valve wants to.

Valve already did substantial R&D on both VR and AR, and probably spent a substantial amount of money on it, but launching hardware is way more expensive and I think their priority would be to maintain the viability/dominance of Steam (hence Steam machines) than to spend their resources trying to produce consumer VR.

And if everyone in the know understood that Oculus was probably going to be acquired (which was inevitable once they got venture funding, apparently), then there's no reason for Valve to spend their money pushing VR when someone with more money will do it for them. Steam will benefit no matter who produces the hardware, and however rich you think Valve is, they're in no position to compete with google/samsung/apple on hardware if VR does take off.

If anything, the only reason Valve would buy Oculus is some sort of exclusivity for Steam.

Zaptruder

Banned
I see the late to the party crowd are here in full force.

Give it a few days to sink in and process the facts of the matter.

Most have and moved on and accepted that this is actually going to be a good great thing for VR.

Cromat

"Oculus VR Employees Are Getting Death Threats Following The $2 Billion Facebook Deal"

http://www.businessinsider.com/oculus-facebook-response-2014-3#ixzz2xSL6jlSr

This is the gaming community at its worst. Irrational, pathetic and secluded.

1) This deal in no way violates the rights or the reasonable expectations of Kickstarter backers. Quite the opposite - they helped kickstart a wildly successful company and product. If they wanted a return or control they should have invested money when the company was recruiting.

2) There is zero evidence to show that Oculus will now stop developing its technology for gaming applications, and there is little business sense in doing that.

3) Anyone who looks down on Oculus for "selling out" is a liar, a hypocrite or an idiot. When you are offered 2 billion dollars for your unproven product by one of the most prominent tech companies in the world, you take it.

4) The vehement hatred towards Facebook is entirely irrational and honestly perplexing.

quetz67

Banned
3) Anyone who looks down on Oculus for "selling out" is a liar, a hypocrite or an idiot. When you are offered 2 billion dollars for your unproven product by one of the most prominent tech companies in the world, you take it.

And it you would be fair to your supporters you would haven handed out shares which would now be some factor 1000 in value. Or at least only keep the 400M for further develpment and hand out Facebook shares with some factor 560 worth of the kickstarter pledges.

And if you would be fair to your supporters you would haven handed out shares which would now be some factor 1000 in value. Or at least only keep the 400M for further develpment and hand out Facebook shares with some factor 560 worth of the kickstarter pledges.
You're not serious? Right? Right?
You're serious...

quetz67

Banned
You're not serious? Right? Right?
You're serious...

Sure I am serious . If you get venture capital you have to share your profits. If you go to Kickstarter you get the money, the people who pay take the risk and if you are successful you keep all the profit and those who took the risk get the shaft.

Sure I am serious . If you get venture capital you have to share your profits. If you go to Kickstarter you get the money, the people who pay take the risk and if you are successful you keep all the profit and those who took the risk get the shaft.
How are they getting the shaft? The Kickstarter was for the original dev kits. Nothing else. They was completed, it was succeeded, they shipped. The backers received their rewards. Pledging wasn't an investment in the company, it was a donation to help the developers. Everything else since has nothing to do with the backers or Kickstarter, except for the fact that it proves that a Kickstarted project can become a major success

Seriously this quote from yesterday is so relevant
It's like lending your friend gas money to go to an interview and expecting a cut of his salary.

I stilll am shocked that people can't understand how Kickstarters work. Have you backed a project? Or maybe even backed the Oculus?

quetz67

Banned
How are they getting the shaft? The Kickstarter was for the original dev kits. Nothing else. They was completed, it was succeeded, they shipped. The backers received their rewards. Pledging wasn't an investment in the company, it was a donation to help the developers. Everything else since has nothing to do with the backers or Kickstarter, except for the fact that it proves that a Kickstarted project can become a major success

Seriously this quote from yesterday is so relevant

I stilll am shocked that people can't understand how Kickstarters work. Have you backed a project? Or maybe even backed the Oculus?

I am not angry at them. I just can understand why people are. And funding a startup is completely different from giving someone the money for the bus, really one bad comparison.

And sure I know how kickstarter works, that doesn't mean it is fair.

I am not angry at them. I just can understand why people are. And funding a startup is completely different from giving someone the money for the bus, really one bad comparison.

But it wasn't a start-up. It was to help develop the dev kit, not to create a company

LMAO, what? Nobody was 'funding a startup' on a kickstarer, you can pretend you're a broker and 'investing' but you get what you paid for. It's like funding Redbox by renting a movie. "Sorry, I'm cutting my funding this weekend" ... by not renting a movie.

There was absolutely no promise or financial return or gain. You paid, you got DK1, the end.

It's the most fair thing I've ever seen, how is it not fair? Explain to me how agreeing to pay for a product, receiving that product, and getting exactly what you paid for ... is not fair?

Well, I'm not a big fan of Facebook. And I wouldn't want them to hurt this in any way, and it sounds like just being a part of Oculus has made many people turn away from it.

But I want to be optimistic and hope for the best. Palmer Luckey and many other people are really big fans of virtual reality, so I think it would be strange if any of them did anything that could hurt it. If things went badly, couldn't they use a lot of the money they have to start a new company and create a new Virtual Reality product? Or could contracts prevent them from doing so?

I'm sure that a lot of money invested in this market will be a good thing. And that if someone makes a bad product that isn't good for PC gaming, other companies will be interested in making another product that does.

Sony and Facebook don't have to be the only two companies involved in Virtual Reality. And I'm sure that if it is worth Facebook investing 2 billion dollars into it, there is a healthy market for it. I'm sure that, whatever happens, there will be great both augmented reality and virtual reality in the future.

Mit-

Donations are not investments.

Kickstarter money is donated.

They don't have to really give you anything they promise, and no one pledged for owning a part of the company. They got their promised rewards and helped get Oculus going. Not even Notch and his 10k have a right to any part of the company's value.

Top Bottom