• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook required for all new Oculus users starting in Oct. All Oculus accounts end in 2023

00_Zer0

Facebook required for new Oculus users

Soon Facebook is going to exert even more control over Oculus by requiring all new users to login using their Facebook account. By 2023 Facebook will be required by all users as the Oculus login will go away for good.

I have mixed feelings as I personally do not use Facebook. I kind of detest it. I use to have an account, but I permanently deleted it a few years ago. If I choose to forgo this nonsense by buying an Index or HP Reverb 2 I would still need a Facebook account if I wanted to partake in the few exclusives I have there, but those few exclusives may not sway me to keep my Oculus Rift S, and It may be up for sale in the classifieds soon.

What do you all think about Facebook exerting even more control over the Oculus brand?

LkT4GfG.jpg

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
As shitty as this is, is it possible to just shove in a fake name and details?

I'm sure there's a way to do it, I'm not sure if you REQUIRE a phone number now to make an account, I doubt it, but possible.

I guess FB was tired of having all that sweet metadata with no location of the user attached.

NickFire

As shitty as this is, is it possible to just shove in a fake name and details?
For the sake of people who get banned over funny memes, I certainly hope so.

Also, this is a hot garbage policy. Its one thing to create a simple EA or whatever account linked to PSN / Live. Its much more intrusive to require a social media / give us all your data account. And the fact that Facebook is rabid about banning people who don't drink the kool aid makes it even worse. I can already picture people getting banned from using their headsets for posting jokes / interest in medical treatments.

Iced Arcade

All 23 people of the world who don't have Facebook are bout to lose their shit!

Just make a dummy FB acct and save your rage for other shit

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Well at some point I'll be upgrading no doubt, my next VR device won't be a rift.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Having to sign up for a (facebook owned) Oculus account or a Steam account or an EGS account or a Sony account or an MS account or a Google account or a whatever account is ok but making an equally fake facebook account is where people draw the line for using products and services..?

Last edited:

Resenge

I don't get it I guess. Having to sign up for an Oculus account or a Steam account or an EGS account or a Sony account or an MS account or a whatever account is ok but making a fake facebook profile is where people draw the line for using products and services?
Isn't Facebook actively banning fake accounts these days? I would worry that I would lose my purchases if my fake Facebook account got banned.

Like this.

As for me I will be looking at my options and hoping that some other company makes a good Quest competitor. PCVR is not a problem as there are plenty of headsets, HP Reverb G2 looking good right now, hope the tracking is acceptable.

Last edited:

Alexios

To my knowledge facebook doesn't ask for an id or anything, it's not paypal or something, so I don't see how they can disable your account for being fake when they can't possibly know if it is, or not. Use a real sounding name I guess?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
To my knowledge facebook doesn't ask for an id or anything, it's not paypal, so I don't see how they can disable your account for being fake when they can't possibly know if it is, or not. Use a real sounding name I guess?

Yes they do. If you want it enabled, you have to provide them with ID. Eff, that.

Not giving some doxing far left retard an ID that contains personal info, when they can scour your account for "wrong think."

Alexios

Yes they do.
Wut? I've never given them an ID all these years and have also made some fake (ish) but real-sounding accounts for my parents to use facebook features without embarassing us when they figure out how to or accidentally post in public. Is it just in some countries?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wut? I've never given them an ID all these years. Is it just in some countries?

Have you had your account locked then asked for proof that you are real?

Read what I wrote, I am talking when they disable your account for suspicion you are not real.

Last edited:

INC

Wut? I've never given them an ID all these years and have also made some fake accounts for my parents to use without embarassing us when they post in public. Is it just in some countries?

Same, never given ID, wtf hahaha

Alexios

Have you had your account locked then asked for proof that you are real?

Read what I wrote, I am talking when they disable your account for suspicion you are not real.
Never seen this, nope.

Oppoi

Having to sign up for a (facebook owned) Oculus account or a Steam account or an EGS account or a Sony account or an MS account or a Google account or a whatever account is ok but making an equally fake facebook account is where people draw the line for using products and services..?

Oculus started as a crowd funded PC VR project selling a product with a long list of promises. Facebook bought them and killed all those plans.

Top Bottom