• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook reveals Oculus Quest 2

Bullet Club

Facebook reveals Oculus Quest 2

VR ready.

Facebook has revealed the Oculus Quest 2 headset seemingly ahead of an official announcement planned for this week.

A couple of videos popped up on the Facebook Blueprint website showing off the next all-in-one VR system. Some of the information has been taken down, but some remains - and of course the videos were ripped and published to YouTube.

We have specifications but not release date or price. Here's a list of what's inside:
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 processor
  • 6GB RAM
  • Nearly 2K resolution per eye - over 50 per cent more pixels than Quest 1
  • 3D positional audio
  • New controller ergonomics
  • Optional 256GB of built-in storage
Also of note, all Quest games work on Quest 2, and there's a new softtouch strap to make the headset easier to slip on and off. The Quest 2 is smaller and lighter than its predecessor.

Expect more on the Oculus Quest 2 when the announcement is made proper, probably at the Facebook Connect developer conference on Wednesday, 16th September.

Source: Eurogamer

Sentenza

Not that I'm planning to buy anything made by Facebook, but I was wondering if like the first Quest can still used as a PC headset, too.

Hakiroto

Exciting from a technology point of view but unfortunately something I'll be skipping as, like many others, I don't want anything to do with Facebook.

Shrap

Nice. Looks like a hell of an upgrade over the original in all of the most important aspects. Any word on the refresh rate? I'm hoping they step it up to 90hz

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
How about

YQDBsYe.jpg

BeardGawd

Banned
I understand it's over 2k per eye but I wonder how this looks in practice. The Quest 1 was pretty good but still had severely cramped FOV and pixelated graphics.

CloudNull

Banned
I love my quest but I am not sure this is big enough upgrade On the processor For me to jump in. Probably hold on to quest 1 until the next iteration.

For anyone who doesn’t have the quest i highly recommend it.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Looks like a great stand-alone, but the reliance on USB Oculus Link for PC connectivity keeps this from being the compelling crossover/all-in-one it could have been. Unless Oculus has don some really miraculous work on that tech,

CloudNull

Banned
Looks like a great stand-alone, but the reliance on USB Oculus Link for PC connectivity keeps this from being the compelling crossover/all-in-one it could have been. Unless Oculus has don some really miraculous work on that tech,
Vr desktop is wonderful. It lets you control your pc with the Quest anywhere your WiFi goes in network.

I mostly use it to proof read code on my couch while watching YouTube videos but it lets you play any game off your pc. Even one that are not vr ready.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Vr desktop is wonderful. It lets you control your pc with the Quest anywhere your WiFi goes in network.

I mostly use it to proof read code on my couch while watching YouTube videos but it lets you play any game off your pc. Even one that are not vr ready.

I assume youd need a strong 5GHZ router for this?

SF Kosmo

The 4K resolution in this would be great for that, but unless there's a miracle, there is no way this is sending a 4K image at 90Hz over USB-C.

CloudNull

Banned
I assume youd need a strong 5GHZ router for this?
Ahhh not sure. I have a standard router from my cable company.... It does have dual band wireless.

The app has a lot of features that lets you change the bitrate and audio being streamed from the pc. This mostly effects battery life of the headset. I checked the apps website and saw no network requirements.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Ahhh not sure. I have a standard router from my cable company.... It does have dual band wireless.

The app has a lot of features that lets you change the bitrate and audio being streamed from the pc. This mostly effects battery life of the headset. I checked the apps website and saw no network requirements.

Really? Thats interesting. I had an OG Quest but returned it because the weight gave me mirgaines so I never tried anything but the built in stuff. I wanted to try out the PC stuff but I knew I wasn't keeping. Think I will have to give Quest 2 a shot.

CloudNull

Banned
Really? Thats interesting. I had an OG Quest but returned it because the weight gave me mirgaines so I never tried anything but the built in stuff. I wanted to try out the PC stuff but I knew I wasn't keeping. Think I will have to give Quest 2 a shot.
Yeah weight is still a bitch. I have a recliner couch so it’s me literally reclined with my head being supported. Probably not doable for long sitting up right.

Hopefully the new weight on the quest is morE manageable. Also, they still need to figure out a better way for people typing who need to see the keyboard. I am surprised no one has came out with a vr keyboard yet.

Rikkori

Too bad the games look so outdated & the eco-system is so split-up, the idea of VR is great. Alas, with Facebook I have no interest as I never used their platform in the first place & with RL ID requirements added to it - fuck no. I buy almost only DRM-free games for a reason, no way in hell do I give these shitheads complete control over my library that I'm spending $$$ on.

Last edited:
oh but if sony requires a psn account from You and your cc details, then it's all fine
Yes. Because Sony doesn't dig out your real life photos online without your consent and attach it to your account, so that everyone world wide can know what you look like. Even when you specifically avoided uploading pictures of yourself. Because Facebook somehow locates uploaded photos of other people where you were happened to be in the same shot.

I mentioned this before, but I deactivated my account as soon as it happened, but in reality Facebook is still keeping it running against my consent. That's why they kept asking me to come back to "reactivate". They are somehow making it legal to spy on people and i want no part of it.

johntown

Banned
I have a Rift and my only complaint is the Oculus Store. My device won't work unless that is running. The Quest 2 looks great but I will probably pass due the the store. I don't trust Facebook either.

Romulus

Too bad the games look so outdated & the eco-system is so split-up, the idea of VR is great. Alas, with Facebook I have no interest as I never used their platform in the first place & with RL ID requirements added to it - fuck no. I buy almost only DRM-free games for a reason, no way in hell do I give these shitheads complete control over my library that I'm spending $$$ on.

Those are all games made for Quest 1 hardware, this new one is much more powerful and just came out. But, you can hook it up to a powerful PC and really push that screen's visuals. Seeing that new screen with a 3080 would be nice.

SF Kosmo

Those are all games made for Quest 1 hardware, this new one is much more powerful and just came out. But, you can hook it up to a powerful PC and really push that screen's visuals. Seeing that new screen with a 3080 would be nice.
I don't think there's gonna be a huge difference, the new chipset is much more powerful, but that's going to be used to boost framerate and resolution. More RAM probably means better textures, but for the most part I don't think they're going to look radically different.

Rikkori

Yes and no. I was talking about what they showed in the video. Even so, you can see some games get purposefully downgraded after the fact even on PC (think it was Outward?). Either way they're far from the visual standards being set on flat displays, so it feels kinda meh.

Top Bottom