• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook reveals Oculus Quest 2

I think the extra compute will be so run current games in Higher Resolution at faster frame rates. Might eventually see a few native games that really shine. Don't be surprised in Facebook makes some version of DLSS for this in the future. Another way they will use the extra beef is supporting all the camera tracking. I wouldn't be surprised if there is eye tracking, face tracking, voice emtion tracking (for Codec Avatars) and more realistic 3D audio simulation for putting sound in your environment.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
6GB RAM and Snapdragon XR2 (2x faster than Quest's 835 plus all the built in 5G/AI/camera stuff to take load off) sound good. 128GB and 256GB variants for storage I suppose. I don't get why the Mixed Reality capture needs such a beast PC (even a 1080 GPU, I get the fast storage maybe), I almost thought it was talking about playing PCVR games there. PCVR is still working the same way, no wireless officially, just Link cable and still as a streaming video based solution I guess. Hopefully they try to get it working over 5G too. It may be problematic due to the higher res.

Other than that, another solid kit depending on the price (I mean, hopefully it starts at 499 if not 449) but not mind blowing for PCVR given the competition and it's a shame PC connectivity is stream based again. Still, with no competitors in sight, it will cement their dominance in stand alone all in one VR, even more games will be able to be ported/made with the better specs. And of course if it's pretty attractive for its all in one capabilities then it's also the one to get if you want both that and PCVR games, rather than choose just PC or buy two kits.

Still, strictly for PCVR, it's just a revision, not a meaningful upgrade (so I guess the one to get from Oculus for new users). I wonder if they'll also do an S2 that does things different or better (Hz? Fov?) as far as PCVR is concerned or if Quest 2 will go all in for both modes, maybe enable things like finger tracking for PCVR. I'm guessing that at the very least, they're not going to be advancing their controller technology much at all, given they've shown they want to use the same for both products. Maybe there won't be an S2 at all.
Looks like a great stand-alone, but the reliance on USB Oculus Link for PC connectivity keeps this from being the compelling crossover/all-in-one it could have been. Unless Oculus has don some really miraculous work on that tech,
On the other hand USB is not a proprietary cable so you won't have to run to the manufacturer to replace it (I'm waiting for my second CV1 cable to arrive) after it borks due to all that movement you do in VR games.

And hopefully with 5G connectivity wireless will be good too, whether homebrewed with apps like virtual desktop or hopefully officially added some time down the line too.

Of course we still have to see how it works, it wasn't perfect on Quest and that was lower res. Maybe they got better compression/higher bandwidth USB.

Last edited:

Resenge

Define pretty well.
It's not as good as wired but better than I expected.

Colours seem a little muted and there is a tiny amount of latency compared to wired but it is very playable. It impressed me as I was expecting a shit show but is actually competent for a headset that isnt made for a PCVR wireless. This is with my setup though, some people dont have it as good as I have but that could be their setup. Virtual Desktop has a lot of settings you can screw with though to increase quality or latency.

For me it was decent and I was not expecting it to be at all playable when I first heard about it. Temper your expectations and it is "Pretty good" just don't expect wired quality, close though.

Last edited:

Romulus

Yes and no. I was talking about what they showed in the video. Even so, you can see some games get purposefully downgraded after the fact even on PC (think it was Outward?). Either way they're far from the visual standards being set on flat displays, so it feels kinda meh.

There are no new games shown there built around the new chip its all old stuff. But if they want to play high fidelity PC games, the Quest 2 can also do that but with a higher resolution screen than anything, other than the Reverb. For me, VR videos do it no justice. I'm a graphics guy and playing something moderately decent looking is just so much more impressive in VR. Something like IRacing for example is just mindblowing on my mid tier PCVR, but on a monitor? Looks average at best.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
On the other hand USB is not a proprietary cable so you won't have to run to the manufacturer to replace it (I'm waiting for my second CV1 cable to arrive) after it borks due to all that movement you do in VR games.

And hopefully with 5G connectivity wireless will be good too, whether homebrewed with apps like virtual desktop or hopefully officially added some time down the line too.

Of course we still have to see how it works, it wasn't perfect on Quest and that was lower res. Maybe they got better compression/higher bandwidth USB.
Yeah the chipset revision may improve bandwidth or decoding, I guess we will see.

Where did you get your CV1 cable replacement? I have been mitigating one with a clip for like a year now.

Alexios

Yeah the chipset revision may improve bandwidth or decoding, I guess we will see.

Where did you get your CV1 cable replacement? I have been mitigating one with a clip for like a year now.
I just contacted Oculus, they were nice enough to send me one even though it was out of warranty, they just asked for photos of the damaged part of the cable and stuff, but I had to get it shipped to a friend's address in the UK because they don't officially support my country (they were also nice enough to actually suggest and accept this, rather than tell me outright no just because I'm not in a supported country myself) and I'm waiting for him to send it to me now (I told him no rush because like you I work around it, but it's getting worse for non-seated games lately so I'll need it). Hopefully I'll have a new PC by the time the new cable is worn down and I'll be looking into upgrading my VR at that point, CV1 won't be cutting it for much longer (love the tracking but the resolution is painful for busy realistic graphics like Onward instead of stylised like Apex Construct).

Last edited:

Romulus

How powerful is the snapdragon xr2 in comparison to the switch/nvidia apu?

It would be interesting to know exactly. I know the old Snapdragon 845 was clearly more powerful than the Switch, especially in CPU performance, and the XR2 in the Oculus 2 is even more powerful than that.

Alexios

Again, XR2 is supposed to be about 2x faster than the Quest's 835, with all the other built in stuff for 5G/AI/multi-camera support and what not taking more load off its core performance so technically even better in practice I guess.
According to the chipmaker, Snapdragon XR2 offers twice the CPU and GPU performance of the 835, over 11 times faster AI processing, six times the video resolution support, and four times the video bandwidth, albeit with only four Kryo cores — one Prime, one Gold, and two Silver — rather than eight in the 835. Using XR2, each eye can have up to a 3K by 3K display at 90 frames per second — a dramatic improvement over most VR and AR headsets today, and backed by a lot of processing power to makes those screens useful.
I dunno how the higher end mobile snapdragons compare to the 835, if they're way faster than 2x. We'll see what that means in practice when game devs start talking maybe. It's still simply the best current choice for a VR kit I guess. And this won't cost an arm and a leg like an iPhone, right?

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've wanted the original for some time now, will wait for this. Or PSVR2. Or both.

isn't this where a FB account is mandatory to use it.

Means I can't use it. Even the older models are being updated aren't they so you need a FB account if you want to continue using full functionality.

If so I hope this shit bombs.

You are unable to get a Facebook account? Weird!

(If it's that you simply refuse to, I don't really see the big issue. You don't have to use that account for anything else.)

SF Kosmo

How powerful is the snapdragon xr2 in comparison to the switch/nvidia apu?
On paper, the Snapdragon is roughly twice the GPU power and 4x the CPU power of the Tegra X1, but the Tegra in the Switch is clocked down a bit from base, so in reality those gains are even better.

It's a powerful chip. It's like more than half as powerful as a base PS4 in a lot of ways. That's still not a lot in VR terms, obviously, but it's about as good as it gets for mobile.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Just bought a Rift S yesterday for Alyx and Spice and Wolf VR. How likely is it that this will perform better when tethered to a PC?
likely.

return that Rift S piece of garbage.

not only will these be better but there's a high chance a new tethered Rift (S successor) is coming soon.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Just bought a Rift S yesterday for Alyx and Spice and Wolf VR. How likely is it that this will perform better when tethered to a PC?
Remains to be seen, it is still compressed video over USB compared to the native video of Rift S, so we'll see how close they can get to fully supporting the res and image quality of those new panels.

Rift S is also likely to be more comfortable.

Last edited:

Alexios

Why wouldn't you wait for Facebook/Oculus Connect, it's in 2 days, lol. I'd return it to the shop and just buy it again if there's no better alternative shown. At the very least it could get discounted once they start selling the Quest 2, whether it doubles as an S2 or there's an actual S2 coming too.

It's not garbage, it's a fine choice for PC, works great with SteamVR and Oculus content and came for a modest price so it's not like you could opt for a Reverb G2 which is the next people suggest (before going all in on Index) as it costs ~250 more atm (for better resolution & worse tracking).
How does it compare to Quest 1 in raw power?
Sigh. About 2x, read previous posts.

Last edited:

Romulus

It'll be interesting to see how much the chip's integrated specific VR features alleviate processing power, on top of the 2x CPU and GPU performance and much more RAM.

Last edited:

Romulus

Rift S is also likely to be more comfortable.

I'm a Rift S owner and I really wondering about that. One of the main reasons this upgrade came so fast was because of comfort complaints of Quest 1, and I'm betting this is the most comfortable headset yet.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
How does it compare to Quest 1 in raw power?

Cpx2ft2.png

Basically quest1 DED

Last edited:

Resenge

I'm a Rift S owner and I really wondering about that. One of the main reasons this upgrade came so fast was because of comfort complaints of Quest 1, and I'm betting this is the most comfortable headset yet.
Im not so sure. Although I am sure it will be better than the Quest, it has no counterweight on a flimsy headband strap, I really dislike that design. My first mod will probably be to add a counterweight battery.

Last edited:

Alexios

Im not so sure, although I am sure it will be better than the quest, it has no counterweight on a flimsy headband strap, I really dislike that design. My first mod will probably be to add a counterweight battery.
It's smaller and lighter than the first Quest too though. It might not need it so badly. The strap does look cheap, like it's an Oculus Go, haha. But maybe it's sturdier with less prone to breaking parts. We'll see.

Last edited:

Jigga117

Yes. Because Sony doesn't dig out your real life photos online without your consent and attach it to your account, so that everyone world wide can know what you look like. Even when you specifically avoided uploading pictures of yourself. Because Facebook somehow locates uploaded photos of other people where you were happened to be in the same shot.

I mentioned this before, but I deactivated my account as soon as it happened, but in reality Facebook is still keeping it running against my consent. That's why they kept asking me to come back to "reactivate". They are somehow making it legal to spy on people and i want no part of it.

.........okay

supernova8

Banned
What exactly is the issue with requiring a Facebook account?

If anyone here has used Tinder then you've probably connected your Facebook account to an app you probably would rather not connect it to ;)

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Yes. Because Sony doesn't dig out your real life photos online without your consent and attach it to your account, so that everyone world wide can know what you look like. Even when you specifically avoided uploading pictures of yourself. Because Facebook somehow locates uploaded photos of other people where you were happened to be in the same shot.

I mentioned this before, but I deactivated my account as soon as it happened, but in reality Facebook is still keeping it running against my consent. That's why they kept asking me to come back to "reactivate". They are somehow making it legal to spy on people and i want no part of it.
You can make a burner account just for this, you know. It doesn't have to be connected to your social network.

Romulus

The whole fb thing is overrated for me. I use other social media, so FB is dead account with my name on it. I keep it deactivated most of the time. I didn't realize most people still used it as their main social media.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Wait this doesn't have an OLED screen anymore!?! that's even worse than FB login for me lmao I'm out

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Very cool but I’m waiting for details on PS5 VR to commit. If it’s wireless and has a solid library like on PS4 it will be a game changer. I love my Quest and found it hard to go back to the wired experience on PS4 despite the superior software library.

Techies

Very cool but I’m waiting for details on PS5 VR to commit. If it’s wireless and has a solid library like on PS4 it will be a game changer. I love my Quest and found it hard to go back to the wired experience on PS4 despite the superior software library.

There's is a possibility this could end up being the PS5 VR headset.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nice! I was tempted to get a Quest, but the performance just wasn't quite there. Looking forward to hearing impressions of this one.

isn't this where a FB account is mandatory to use it.

Means I can't use it. Even the older models are being updated aren't they so you need a FB account if you want to continue using full functionality.

If so I hope this shit bombs.
You couldnt just make a dummy account? I assume Lost Donkey isnt your actual name on here. No hate, just a question.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
If homebrewers can just hack this thing reliably, it would be wonderful. But I can't own a device that requires me to create a Facebook account.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If homebrewers can just hack this thing reliably, it would be wonderful. But I can't own a device that requires me to create a Facebook account.
the quest 1 is hacked wide f*cking open.
inc gamecube games
and everything beneath it
brutal doom
half life 1
quake 1 and 2
gameboy color on a toilet emulator

Last edited:
Top Bottom