• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook reveals Oculus Quest 2

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The biggest single improvement has to be the fixed foveated rendering. That shit was eye cancer in the old Quest, but it seems both better implemented and less aggressive on Quest 2.

VCL

For $300 probably. Once they get the upgrades to Link out it might be be the best under $500. But it won't stack up to Index or probably Reverb G2 because of the lack of native video input.
how can I play Half Life Alyx if It doesn't have video input?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It connects with a standard USB cable (the better quality the better the results but you don't necessarily need the official $80 fiber Link cable, just a really good USB 3+ cable, with recent patches even the short charging USB 2 cable the system comes with can take advantage of Link but you'll want a longer and better cable to really make use of the feature for most games, though it's also nice that you don't need a proprietary HDMI+USB frankencable as native PC VR sets use) and compresses and streams the video ouput through that. It works pretty well already on Quest 1. It will be fine to use Quest 2 in the same way. It works good enough for Facebook to not care to make native PC sets any more and go for the 2 in 1 deal of the Quest line (though, who knows, maybe a native PC connection will return, if for example later models have even higher resolution and refresh rate that makes streaming through USB more problematic). There are also programs like VRDesktop for wireless streaming but they had issues with lag (although this is a really old video, Link and wireless methods have both improved since), though some folks swear by it anyway. Quest 2 supports Wi-Fi 6 so it will be very interesting to see if it improves that enough to make it a good way to play PC VR games without any cables, the VRDesktop developer at least is excited for the potential when pairing it with a Wi-Fi 6 router.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I was going to order one but I read you need to link Facebook to this. Then I read if you get banned from Facebook it’ll lock you out of Occulus while you are banned? I’ve gotten 30 day bans on FB before so I’m not sure if I want to order one now.

Last edited:
I was going to order one but I read you need to link Facebook to this. Then I read if you get banned from Facebook it’ll lock you out of Occulus while you are banned? I’ve gotten 30 day bans on FB before so I’m not sure if I want to order one now.

how about you use an actual Facebook account rather than a fakebook account to troll?

SF Kosmo

It pipes compressed video over USB. It uses lossy compression so this adds a little bit of latency (not a big deal) and degrades the image quality to some extent. On quest 1 the latter was a significant issue. Quest 2 should be capable of handling a lot more, but the software hasn't been optimized for Quest 2 yet.

Reactions: VCL

JORMBO

Darkness no more
you can get banned for inappropriate behavior from any console. Heck, Apple banned even Epic Games. can happen to anyone

I don’t really game online much so I won’t get banned from PSN. It would be crazy if PSN started banning people based on something unrelated like their Twitter feeds though. Plus if I do get banned on PSN I can still pop my discs in and use my system.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
They won't brick it, you can always pair it with a new account but you'll lose whatever you bought on the store. Same as getting banned from PSN.

Sounds crazy to me still that you can get banned from a social media site for something unrelated to VR and lose all your VR stuff. Anyways, lost sale here.

SF Kosmo

Sounds crazy to me still that you can get banned from a social media site for something unrelated to VR and lose all your VR stuff. Anyways, lost sale here.
I don't know that it will work that way, but the obvious fix, here, is to simply make a separate account just for Quest.

Like I honestly can't think of one reason why having and Oculus account is fine but having a Facebook account separate from your existing one is not. They're functionally the same thing.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I don't know that it will work that way, but the obvious fix, here, is to simply make a separate account just for Quest.

Like I honestly can't think of one reason why having and Oculus account is fine but having a Facebook account separate from your existing one is not. They're functionally the same thing.

I was reading about that suggestion on Reddit and some people were saying having a duplicate FB account can get you banned. Or sometimes accounts that don’t ever pick up any friends get banned as fake accounts.

Seems like bad design to link the two things together. If they reconsider then I will reconsider.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Quest 2 should be capable of handling a lot more, but the software hasn't been optimized for Quest 2 yet.
It's what I'm on the fence for. The xr2 should be significantly better at decompression so on paper the transferred pc->quest2 should be less soft and more responsive.
If this is improved from the OG Quest I'll buy in. I don't give two shits about the Facebook baggage but I want to replace my cv1 and stay in their ecosystem

Warhammer 40k Battle Sister on Quest 2:

pretty damn impressive for the mobile hardware if you ask me. I only find it weird that this series is known for RTS battles, not straight shooting as far as I remember...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm wondering how good the Quest 2 picture looks hooked to the pc compared to the Rift S. I know it has better resolution but I read there's some quality lost using the oculus link. Do you guys think it's worth the upgrade from the Rift S to Quest 2!?
Even quest 1 picture looks better than S. I know since I've switched. S black levels suck ass and quest also has better sweet spot

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The three fixed IPD settings could be a big problem if you're right in between two. Making me very hesitant to get this (I actually had a pre-order that I cancelled).

Last edited:

psn

Huh?

You think it’s ok if someone gets banned on a social media site they can brick your unrelated $400 VR device?
No, and thats the reason why I upgrade to a valve Index soon.

I never got banned on social media or sth, but I don't want to be constrained or controlled by Facebook. I created a fake Facebook account just for oculus back then. I don't even use my "main" account, I just need it because everyone at my University uses facebook to create groups. But it's only a matter of time until you receive a ban for a fake account. Also:
If you buy a valve index, htc vive or hp reverb, you can buy your games on steam or wherever you want. If you buy a different vr headset, you still keep your games. Not with oculus quest though. Every game you buy at the oculus store is only playable on oculus headsets. You lose all your games just because oculus ties you so hard to their ecosystem while using your personal data to their advantage.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Am I doing something wrong? Quest1 and the link capability sucks ass. You almost can't throw anything in h3vr, it stutters most of time and I have 3700x and 2070. Rift S worked great on pc...

SF Kosmo

It's what I'm on the fence for. The xr2 should be significantly better at decompression so on paper the transferred pc->quest2 should be less soft and more responsive.
If this is improved from the OG Quest I'll buy in. I don't give two shits about the Facebook baggage but I want to replace my cv1 and stay in their ecosystem
Yeah that's where I am at. $300 is cheap enough that I'll gamble on it. It sounds like they were really rushing to market to get this ready for this holiday, so it seems like Link upgrades are one of the corners they cut to get here. And obviously the bugs I. The 90Hz stuff, but that might be sorted by the time we get them in our hands.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How does sideloading work on this? Is it something you can just enable, like on an Android phone, or do you have to flag custom firmware or something?

McCheese

How does sideloading work on this? Is it something you can just enable, like on an Android phone, or do you have to flag custom firmware or something?

You have to enable developer mode on your oculus account via the website, then you just plug the quest into a computer and copy apk files across just like any other android device.

In future they are going to crack down on it a bit by requesting a telephone number to have a developer account.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You have to enable developer mode on your oculus account via the website, then you just plug the quest into a computer and copy apk files across just like any other android device.

In future they are going to crack down on it a bit by requesting a telephone number to have a developer account.

Hm, alright. If I get one of these I'd really like to be able to run cool unofficial stuff and not be locked to what Facebook allows me to install.

Last edited:

Alexios

^ devs will be able to publish stuff like that free on the Quest Store next year. They won't appear in search but they will be able to be linked or given as generated keys (which devs may also sell outside the store and keep the money, no fees). Dunno if that means no more apk sideloading etc.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Man I really can't decide if I shouls sell quest 1. I have potential buyer for 350.
I only have it for few months.. and barely used it.
The last of oled and fabric casing use in headset ever probably

CloudNull

Banned
Man I really can't decide if I shouls sell quest 1. I have potential buyer for 350.
I only have it for few months.. and barely used it.
The last of oled and fabric casing use in headset ever probably
Do it.

I feel the Quest 2 is akin to the iPhone 4. Every game going forward that’s currently not being developed will use the Quest 2 as a baseline. I also feel that Quest 2 will start to reach the normies.

Quest 1 will have years of life left but selling it for 350 is heck of a deal.

CloudNull

Banned
Really contemplating getting this just for BOX RV. I have it for PSVR but the cables and set up are annoying as heck.
Totally worth it. Box vr is great On the quest. I couldn’t image playing it tethered to anything. The truth is beat saber though. It’s a much better/fun cardio workout in my opinion.

Kagero

Totally worth it. Box vr is great On the quest. I couldn’t image playing it tethered to anything. The truth is beat saber though. It’s a much better/fun cardio workout in my opinion.
Should I go for more memory or less? I realize this is a stupid question and it depends if I like to store my games or delete and install, but how many games could I install on 64 gigs. Would I be annoyed and should I just get the one with 256 gigs? Opinions?

Resenge

Should I go for more memory or less? I realize this is a stupid question and it depends if I like to store my games or delete and install, but how many games could I install on 64 gigs. Would I be annoyed and should I just get the one with 256 gigs? Opinions?
Hard to say. I bought the 128 gig quest original and didnt even half fill it with games and unofficial apps. Quest 2 could start using bigger assets though. I don't think you will get a satisfactory response to that question tbh.

If your interested in what version I Pre-ordered, I like to future proof and went with the 256 Gb version. But theres no reason you should be forced to get the 255gb version, you could uninstall apps.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
I second what resenge said but if you go for the higher price point find some one who had a Costco membership.

You cant see the price unless a member but it’s 430 for All of that. An incredible deal.

Kagero

Hard to say. I bought the 128 gig quest original and didnt even half fill it with games and unofficial apps. Quest 2 could start using bigger assets though. I don't think you will get a satisfactory response to that question tbh.

If your interested in what version I Pre-ordered, I like to future proof and went with the 256 Gb version.
That's actually very helpful. Thanks. At the worse, assets might double? For my needs, I think the 64 gig version should be fine. I'm actually not a huge VR gamer. I use it as a fitness tool, and some games.

Kagero

SF Kosmo

Quest 2 is a 3x bump in RAM for gaming.

Huge stretch (and that's putting it charitably) to say a 1.3 TFlop GPU is comparable to a 4 Tflop 970 because 72Hz. Especially when you consider the resolution is higher. And only half of the CPU cores are available to devs (obviously tracking had costs on PC as well but nothing as demanding as four camera SLAM)

But it is true that both the CPU and memory overhead for system stuff is proportionally a lot smaller on Quest 2 and the relative gains are bigger than they look on paper because of that.

And it's also true that Quest 2 is getting into the ballpark of PSVR, at least. It's certainly capable of doing some "big boy" games. And Oculus is working on some DLSS style AI upscaling too.

Last edited:

Alexios

Min spec never meant shit, good luck trying to play Stormland and other games adequately with that, games have their own requirements just as non VR games. The xr2 in Quest 2 will probably not run anywhere near the max possible clocks due to thermal issues. Dude has a Facebook deal for a (timed?) Quest Bonewonks ;)

The upscaling will be interesting to see live if it gets done any time soon and hopefully apply to the original Quest as well. Won't do much to increase cpu power but may at least let Quest 1 games run without that foveated rendering, just same fake-full-res upscale for the whole of the screen, that'd be a good boost for it.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Also the xr2 in Quest 2 will probably not run anywhere near the max possible clocks due to thermal issues.
Also true, confirmed by Carmack, although we don't have specifics.

Stuff like Stormland, Lone Echo, and Medal of Honor are obviously not gonna work. But stuff like Budget Cuts, Paper Beast, The Room VR, a lot of that stuff could probably work. The work they've done on that new Myst is pretty incredible. Obviously there's still a big gulf between that and Half Life Alyx but it's also not really baby VR anymore either.

Last edited:

Alexios

Yeh but the guy said "Oculus" games and they really aren't that low-spec except those already made with Quest in mind (journey of the gods, shadow point, etc.). Plenty non Oculus PC VR games are low spec indeed (ie Superhot VR ported just fine to Quest without being made for it, also Apex Construct and others like you name).

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Do it.

I feel the Quest 2 is akin to the iPhone 4. Every game going forward that’s currently not being developed will use the Quest 2 as a baseline. I also feel that Quest 2 will start to reach the normies.

Quest 1 will have years of life left but selling it for 350 is heck of a deal.
Hell. Why not.
I was just playing some Alyx in vr desktop (ultimate way) and I am wondering:
If it is more benefitial for this game to have 72hz and lower res(acceptable res) but OLED or 90hz and higher res LCD but worse blacks. The game has a lot of dark areas.
probably VD will be using 90hz right away :p

CloudNull

Banned
Sold out. Out of stock until November in the US.

Crazy. I remember it was months before Quest 1 was in stock after the first batch. Great to see the thirst for the new model.

Resenge

Quest 2 is looking like a legit Rift S competitor, maybe I will be putting my Rift S in storage now. I hope these comparisons are as good as they look and the latency is not noticable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom