• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Facebook scrubbing all posts and content referencing "stop the steal" across website.

Aug 24, 2016

Facebook Inc. said Monday it is removing all content mentioning “stop the steal,” a phrase popular among supporters of President Trump’s claims about the election, as part of a raft of emergency measures to stem misinformation and incitements to violence on its platform in the lead up to President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration.
These moves seem to be short-sighted, and the fact they are all happening abruptly close together is likely hurting things more than helping.

BouncyFrag

Feb 10, 2014

tillbot8

Banned
Aug 4, 2020
Bless you our omnipotent saviours, almost have a natural thought there for a second it hurt my brain.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: haxan7

It's Jeff

Aug 28, 2015
Good Lord. If there’s nothing to it, then the absence of evidence will make it fade away. Scrubbing and censoring makes it seem like somebody has something to hide or fear... and thus, created evidence. So stupid.

Censorship has always been self defeating. I suspect there's probably grounds for a landmark lawsuit here that will appear before a Supreme Court that sees this crap for what it really is.

tfur

Oct 21, 2007
Didn't they disable the word "honk" at one time, or was that fake?

FunkMiller

Aug 14, 2014
These panicky fucks have finally realised that their lax attitude towards preventing conspiracy and hate on their platform for years has resulted in actual, proper high profile death... and how they’re scrubbing stuff in a knee jerk reaction to appease shareholders and protect the bottom line.

Facebook is actual fucking social cancer. Twitter too.

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

Feb 10, 2014
Good Lord. If there’s nothing to it, then the absence of evidence will make it fade away. Scrubbing and censoring makes it seem like somebody has something to hide or fear... and thus, created evidence. So stupid.

Censorship has always been self defeating. I suspect there's probably grounds for a landmark lawsuit here that will appear before a Supreme Court that sees this crap for what it really is.
The tyranny is startling to show it’s true self. That’s what this is. It’s the same thing with Ron Paul, of all people, getting locked out of their Facebook page. In that thread people are saying it’s probably just a mistake because admitting this is actually happening is too scary and not possible.

People need to wake up.

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
We can't talk about it here either.

you can talk about how the stop the steal protest led to the capital riot without advocating for the preceding events which led up to it. So it’s pretty clear cut that businesses don’t want to be associated with, harbor, or proliferate another wave of retards doing something stupid. Again.

Last edited:
Reactions: belmarduk
May 22, 2018
Good. There is no steal going on and the continuation of that ridiculous lie is what led to the riot in the Capitol. 5 people are dead because this ridiculous conspiracy theory was not stamped out the moment it began.

It's time for the delusional Trump supporters to come back to reality. The sooner they do the better and if this is what it takes then so be it.

tillbot8

Banned
Aug 4, 2020
We at big company TM think you are far too stupid to make your own mind up on anything so we alleviated any stress involved for your convienence. Please follow our updates where we will tell you about all the wonderful actions our new glorious administration is doing for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dacon

nyr88nyg

May 23, 2020
Funny, I don’t remember any pushback from big tech when Dems tried to overturn the 2016 election

Zog

Oct 24, 2017
Good. There is no steal going on and the continuation of that ridiculous lie is what led to the riot in the Capitol. 5 people are dead because this ridiculous conspiracy theory was not stamped out the moment it began.

It's time for the delusional Trump supporters to come back to reality. The sooner they do the better and if this is what it takes then so be it.
I can say that your response to censorship didn't surprise me.

Dec 15, 2011
They’ll move on to guns next.
Nonsen..

I urge you to read up on the French Revolution.

Reactions: Arkam
May 22, 2018
I can say that your response to censorship didn't surprise me.
A lack of proper moderation on social media over the last several months is partially to blame for what happened in the capital. So yes if you give me the option between an attempt at moderation and no moderation at all I am going to pick some kind of moderation over nothing.

93xfan

Feb 23, 2013

Calling the right delusional and bashing them is what led to many acts of violence against conservatives. Your rhetoric is responsible for the senators that were shot at the Congressional Baseball Game in 2017.

Your comments are dangerous and need to be censored, for everyone’s safety.

Last edited:

Zog

Oct 24, 2017
A lack of proper moderation on social media over the last several months is partially to blame for what happened in the capital. So yes if you give me the option between an attempt at moderation and no moderation at all I am going to pick some kind of moderation over nothing.
What? Pretty sure social media has been silencing Trump supporters for years.

tillbot8

Banned
Aug 4, 2020
Calling the right delusional and bashing them is what led to many acts of violence against conservatives. Your rhetoric is responsible for the senators that were shot at the Congressional Baseball Game in 2017.

Your comments are dangerous and need to be censored, for everyone’s safety.
He laughed but will he reply?

May 22, 2018
Could you clarify?
Did you miss the hundreds of tweets from Trump and his various supporters spreading the lies regarding the election? The continued lies about the riot being perpetrated by Antifa in recent days? Twitter has dragged it's ass for months when it came to actually shutting down the continuous lies and even then they only sat down and finally did something about Trump's accounts because the riot allowed them the cover to do so.

Last edited:

Zog

Oct 24, 2017
Did you miss the hundreds of tweets from Trump and his various supporters spreading the lies regarding the election? The continued lies about the riot being perpetrated by Antifa in recent days? Twitter has dragged it's ass for months when it came to actually shutting down the continuous lies and even then they only sat down and finally did something about Trump's accounts because the riot allowed them the cover to do so.
Ok.

Still social media has been an enemy to Trump supporters for years.

Edit: Are you going to respond to post #31?

Last edited:

Solomeena

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
You can fuck right off with your disingenuous bullshit. All you do is talk about the RIGHT THIS, THE RIGHT THAT. The same shit is happening in your own goddamn extremist LEFT camp as well and now your camp is actively and blatantly censoring anything and everything from conservatives regardless if it is violent or otherwise. YOU and your ilk are the reason shit continues to escalate and all the blood that probably will be shed is all on your hands Nobody_Important Nobody_Important and on the hands of your whole nazi ass liberal movement.

Kalamari

Jul 31, 2012
The Great Northwest
Don't the dems see how these actions are only inciting more violence?

The heavy handed, knee jerk reaction to this whole situation really worries me. I watched the Trump speech, as well as Guiliani speech, from last Wednesday and I didn't see a shred of inciting.

The left is being so bold in their actions because if they wait for the facts they will have lost their chance to rationalize their overbearing reaction.

One thing is certain, Republicans condemned the violence and destruction immediately. The same can't be said for Democrats during the rioting from last year.

Last edited:

belmarduk

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2019
I mean you have the option to follow people and sites that you want and see what you want right?

I do.. but I have some relatives and friends who suspend all logic and reason when it comes to the 2020 election. Suspended like Trump’s Twitter account.

DeeDogg_

Jan 10, 2018
earth

Hey everyone! Nobody Important says there’s no steal so stop questioning it and stay in line like that rest of the brainless drones in this country.
Remember, Accept don’t question